Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Colorado State

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"Bounce Back" was a term usee to describe our 48-10 victory over Colorado State. Bounce, yeah maybe. Back, not yet. The Rams initially might have been thought to pose a worthy next step test based on their win against Arkansas. But the Hogs are looking more like the Armadillos after getting run over by a foe from a lesser conference. So we had the luxury of yet another warm up type game. The good thing I suppose is that we've won a couple we were supposed to win. The bad is that we lost one we thought we were supposed to. At 2-1 with our first conference road game coming up in Knoxville, i think we still have more questions than answers. Let's look at a few as we review:

Q1-QB. Franks is Franks. Down and up, up and down. Will he ever become a leader that can consistently keep his composure, especially in the face of situational pressure? He looked like a new man against lowly Charleston, but has been erratic since. He looks to lack poise when it is needed, making poor decisions, reads and throws. Starting 0 for 6 with an unsportsmanlike like penalty is not poise. Mullen's got his work cut out for him and it remains to be seen if Franks can be salvagable much less a consistent and effective leader. I'm not on the play Trask/Jones bandwagon yet and I'm afraid if we get there it' might be cancel Christmas. Last week I thought this game would tell us more, but UT will probably be that game. They don't look like world beaters (and neither do we), but they are a conference road game and an important test.

A1-Special Teams. Save a couple of long-ish KO returns allowed, this group was the star. Two punts defended/blocked with a TD, Swain with a huge return for a score and another that gave good field position gives us a good feeling about Mullen's promise to get this group back in order. Him playing more better players in these groups instead of the cub scouts lets us know the importance attached. Smart move to return these teams to a higher status. And BTW, MacPherson says "Edie who?"

Q2-OL/Run Game. It got more attention and was more of a factor. Scarlett had a couple of good runs and Perine looked pretty fair. Davis sprains an ankle on I think his first carry, which opened up some second half carries for Pierce, who delivered. His long scoring run was what he did effectively in HS, so it's good to see him do it collegiately. Hoping his load will increase and il be interested to see him get some against the SEC defenses. OL was probably a little better, but the Rams were not a vaunted group by any means. I like that we scored on a counter and I noticed some good effort and technique on a couple of pulls, progress still needs to be made on consistency. Again we should know more after next week. As we all know, the offense goes as this group goes.

A2-Defense. Better against the run yielding 71 yards on the ground. Zuniga looked good and had a couple of sacks and pressures. LBs seemed to play some better as well and Joseph had his name called a few times. Maybe he's learning the position and playing with more disciplined speed. Poor pursuit angles have been his big nemesis, so maybe he's finally getting it terms of what the position should be coached to do. Maybe. Secondary is just going to have to grow up and get resupplied through recruiting. It's evident we are having to rely on several in this group who aren't ready and may never be. Tackling was some better, but still some misses. This unit can be hard to watch considering the defenses of the past. Only growth and the recruiting will get us back.

Q3-Strength and Conditioning. I have to chuckle when I read in some threads about how Savage really hasn't got us where we need to be after all the early hype. I know a lot of that is the emotion of the moment, but you have to understand that inheriting a team that basically had no S&C for three years, it is going to be a longer process than you might think. I don't know that some of our freshmen might not have come in better prepared than many of our veterans. One guy that should give us an idea of what to look for, and I've mentioned him before, is Freddy Swain. He's a new guy this year. Better strength and agility and obviously supremely confident. He should be the prototype of what that part of the program is seeking to build.

A3-UT. First SEC road game and a time to really mark progress despite how good or not the Vols really are. What do we take from Colorado State? What did we learn from the UK game. How will Franks react? Can we get more out of the run game? Can the defense hold their own? The answers...maybe. We still have a lot of unknowns that are driven by our consistency and mindset. Team confidence IMHO took a deeper dive than we imagined last season. Many are not overjoyed with Mullen and staff, but there has been some growth in this part, it's just not the quantum leap we hunger for and it likely want be this season. Our gains will more likely be measured in inches than miles. We have been down that low and quite frankly we don't have a quantum leap roster (broken record, I know).

So the words for next week should be patience and passion, neither of which are or have been in bountiful supply. That's what it's going to take if it's really not over (sorry @soflagator ). One thing to consider and I know you have is that at least we aren't the Noles shackled to Taggart. Poor guy looks like he got off the Greyhound in the middle of nowhere without a map.

So here's to a good outing at Neyland and a chance to see our baby more stable as it learns to walk. Perhaps a better comparison may be to an accident victim learning move all over again! Anyhow, "C'mon Gators let's get up and go!" Pride will be back when we say so.

:chomp:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My bad. Got about halfway through before Sunday School and Church when the wifi went down. Today was Mrs. c2's birthday so there was cooking on the grill and cake for lunch. I know, I'm getting soft in my golden years!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
My bad. Got about halfway through before Sunday School and Church when the wifi went down. Today was Mrs. c2's birthday so there was cooking on the grill and cake for lunch. I know, I'm getting soft in my golden years!
n/p. It's not your fault I've been logged on since 4 yesterday waiting for ur writeup. ;)

I think it's going to take all season to find out what we have in Mullin. Whether it's confirmation or surprise. I think we know what we have in this team which is some bright spots and a whole lot of :kiffin:. Speaking of :kiffin:, chump put us in this hole with the oline and the sharkhumper never improved it. It takes some creativity to work around a bad oline, don't you agree? I'll be watching to see how Mullin handles it. I haven't given up on Franks just yet. Maybe it's just misguided hope but to my eyes he's much better than he was last year - maybe from an F to a C-. Hopefully he can continue to learn. He had no coaching in HS and worse coaching in college. Now with only 7-8 months under Mullin he actually is getting better. There's hope.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@ThreatMatrix the OL is arguably the hardest position to get ready for college play. It's some better now than it once was with all of the camps available during the summers and better S&C programs in high school, but many of the guys need a year or more to finish growing into their bodies and learning to compete against better athletes on every rep. We've still got a ways to go in the recovery of this unit much less the development.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The safeties surprised me as that team wasn't able to just sling it around much but I don't think the offense told us much as that team is garbage on defense.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Special Teams deserves the shoutout as the most tangible Mullen upgrade. This might be a feather in anyone’s cap since the only play in Mac’s book was the fair catch. Nevertheless it’s a familiar emphasis that helped win those two nattys. If the second half offers any clues, Mullen has finally disabused himself of the notion that Franks is a dual threat (maybe a serviceable runner, but that in a pinch) and is adjusting accordingly. A game manager is not really consistent with his offensive scheme but you’ve got to play the hand you’re dealt.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen arrived full of fire. So why isn't his team fully without past 'slackadaisical' attitudes? efforts?
Think that McEldump established UF's CFB program as a dump-site for spent radioactive sludge.
UF's EPA expelled the McSource but his radioactivity still radiates here actively -- such that Mullen's cleanup has yet to cut down on the danger-damage.

looks like he got off the Greyhound in the middle of nowhere without a map.

'nother rogpun : Four bank robbers run out of big city bank. Get-away car is not there. So, they all jump into an idling Greyhound bus and race away. After a 20 minute chase, cops capture them. Is that a Greyhound flee collar?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Never any apology needed, you have spoiled us is all! ;)

We talked about some in the game thread, but

Thought tackling was better, although the opponent was not. The LB play better a bit further from the line when they can take a down hill run at a play. When up at the line many seemed to get absorbed into the wash and the play goes past them. Especially the lighter guys. Not strong, fit or enough technique to shed guys.

Same could be said about the O, it seemed like when we ran the RPO we had problems and everything took too long. On a set pass or run play we seemed much more in synch. Look at Franks td, staight run with a lead blocker, Franks might be fast but acceleration and cutting are not his strong suit.

Saw more running for yardage Sat, vs trying to shake people and getting crushed from the backside. Blocks are not going to unfold with what we have, take the rock and hit the gap.

The D played better on the edges, but we still seem fragile. I don’t think Moon is going to hold up much longer. Still looking for that bigger hitter. So far this year, DP special teams hit has been the one.

Baby steps, if my heart can take it. This week will be a big one!

Go Gators

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

You soft??? Never!! Attentive to important things, that is priceless!!

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Thank you cover 2 for another outstanding study. We are in for a slow recovery from two substandard head coaches. There are no quick fixes and I am happy we have been in these games with an offence that can move the ball at times.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Speaking of :kiffin:, chump put us in this hole with the oline and the sharkhumper never improved it.
Actually, Leyer and Daz started it. Daz had the first terrible OL class (with two low three star diamonds innthe rough) and recruited the next class, Chimp's transition in which he held Daz' two recruits.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great analysis Cover.

I liked the fact that we saw some improvement. This team, especially the ST was needed to have an effect. And that is what it's going to take to win any game we are in. Total play from all sides to compensate for our weaknesses. Felt we got a little more push last night. Not sure how to take it though as it was Col. State. Were they just that bad, Kentucky that good, or what??

Things that have to change soon. Pierce has got to tote the rock more than he is. With the OL we have, he makes it the perfect fit. He attacks and the OL won't hold those blocks long. That makes Pierce very valuable. Franks, uggggh! I really want to like the kid, but he makes it hard. What Mullen has done so far is respectable to this point. He must see something in him. Or we don't have anything behind him. Could be both.

One last question......is CeCe Jefferson gonna show up? Not sure if he's still hurt or what. Good as alwasy C2. See you next week, win or lose.

Oct 5, 2014
I would like to point out (for whatever it is worth) that Kyle Trask has taken five snaps under center this season resulting in three pass completions, one QB TD run, and one long gallop by Pierce for another TD.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
I would like to point out (for whatever it is worth) that Kyle Trask has taken five snaps under center this season resulting in three pass completions, one QB TD run, and one long gallop by Pierce for another TD.

LeftCoast...I have been screaming this over and over! With our RBs why do we not line up under center more? This seems like a lost fundamental anymore. As many have said, Pierce seems like the bruiser needed to help our line problems. His long TD barely had a crease.

And C2...hard to disagree with anything you wrote, spot on as always.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
One thing to consider and I know you have is that at least we aren't the Noles shackled to Taggart. Poor guy looks like he got off the Greyhound in the middle of nowhere without a map.

Great take as usual. The lack of any kind of adjustment should really worry the folks from SOW. You can't run outside if you can't keep the ends from essentially setting the edge three yards deep in the backfield every play. From the looks of things their tackles are hopelessly immobile and aren't going to be able to hold back a wet fart on their own all year. Maybe try some things to slow down those ends a bit that don't rely as much on the skill of the tackles. Perhaps work in a middle screens to use their excitement to blow by tackles against them. Work in some trap blocks that allow the tackle to move up field and have a guard pull over kick the end charging up the field out of the play. Move the pocket with some rollouts. That none of this is happening in week three of this train wreck makes me one happy Gator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.