Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Florida Atlantic

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I could flower this post up with a bunch of fancy sounding comments, but instead I'll just simply say that I was dismayed at how much EJ sucked last night. 113 yards passing with two terrible picks and another that could have been a pick 6. Yikes.

The only consolation is that AR might, repeat might, be an emerging star for us. He's certainly a gifted physical specimen. The other consolation is that we were far from the only team sucking the big one out there yesterday. No offensive TDs at all in the leghumper game. OU only beating Tulane by 5 points. A long list of mediocrity. Once again it looks like there's Bama and then there is everyone else.
Yep, bama won it all last night. It's the earliest the season has been decided since Nebraska in 95. And yes, I'm serious.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I say it all the time. If we have underwhelming WR's (which we do) and not so great QB's as passers, nothing better than utilizing your RB's in the pass game, and I mean beyond just the little flairs out into the flat. I mean ISO'ed on LB's in the middle of the field. Someone mentioned the shyt throw Jones made to Davis that should have been a pick 6. It should have been thrown very early on a line, but when he waited it should have had air under it (as mentioned) more like a wheel route throw. EJ has played more than enough to not have been nervous.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Thank God for Richardson, as he's the ONLY thing that brought a little bit of excitement about the future. Without him last night would have been a disaster of epic proportions. The passing game looks hideous and the defense is going to be awful all year, I'm afraid.

Richardson is our one guy that could actually make other defenses nervous. We desperately need to be playing someone like that as much as possible.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Emory certainly is not the answer and consider me shocked when the announcers kept iterating on the fact Truesdell arrived on campus Monday and was starting already :eek3:
Truesdall played, but I don't think he started. They played just about everyone, and not just in garbage time. I think that was a good move against an over matched opponent. Let the new players make some mistakes agaisnt the first string when it doesn't really hurt you.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Dan says it's about the playbook. No it's about the wins Dan! Every coach in America would start AR-15 over EJ. Most of us would be willing to take a couple of inexperience losses this year to know we possibly have 2 to 3 more years of a elite QB again. Maybe it's his way of squashing dissent in the locker room. It's one thing if EJ was lighting it up through the air last night and AR was the better runner they could tag team that start, but that was not the case AR-15 looked superior in every facet for someone who does not know the playbook.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I used to love and live for the opener. I used to crave an injection of UF football. I used to approach the season like anything was possible.

Two-yard completions, pic sixes, botched communication, the wrong quarterback at the helm, Malik Davis getting stuffed at the LOS, and another grossly underachieving Grantham defense. That’s the pain I expect from here on after what I saw last night.

We switched over to the Pink documentary in the second quarter. Yeah, we actually did that. She outphysicals and outsmarts Mullen’s team.

Some Gator fans take winning hard.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
You'll need to explain, he's a walkon freshman, correct? And if Henderson didn't get his "chance" last night when do you suppose he gets it?

Walk on red shirt freshman who had his first two targets in the fourth quarter of a game that his grandfather was being honored at for being one of the first two black scholarship Gator football players. I'm not sure of Kahleil's receiving skills but he was a pretty good high school QB at Hawthorne. Look him up.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Truesdall played, but I don't think he started. They played just about everyone, and not just in garbage time. I think that was a good move against an over matched opponent. Let the new players make some mistakes agaisnt the first string when it doesn't really hurt you.
The one good thing I saw last night was Dan letting AR play the last few series as if the game was on the line. I was certain we were going to turtle up but instead he was throwing the ball downfield late in the 4th.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Mullen stated after a question about what will keep him awake after this game that he frequently stays up at night thinking and worrying about what the program needs to improve. I’d ask if any of that time walking the floor is self-reflective regarding his recruiting planning and efforts?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen stated after a question about what will keep him awake after this game that he frequently stays up at night thinking and worrying about what the program needs to improve. I’d ask if any of that time walking the floor is self-reflective regarding his recruiting planning and efforts?
It keeps him up at night? But doesn't keep him from vacation during bowl prep week?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Walk on red shirt freshman who had his first two targets in the fourth quarter of a game that his grandfather was being honored at for being one of the first two black scholarship Gator football players. I'm not sure of Kahleil's receiving skills but he was a pretty good high school QB at Hawthorne. Look him up.
This is the last I will comment on this to keep from derailing covers thread.
Young players improve by having SUCCESS on the field. Where did Kahliel improve with those two failures? Where did Anthony improve with those failed attempts. They probably didn't even practice the damn play until Thursday. All great Coaches (and we've had a few here) know you become great with repetitive success. I look forward to the day we have one once again. And lastly it wasn't Mullens job to honor Mr. Jackson and if it was, he did a piss poor job of it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is the last I will comment on this to keep from derailing covers thread.
Young players improve by having SUCCESS on the field. Where did Kahliel improve with those two failures? Where did Anthony improve with those failed attempts. They probably didn't even practice the damn play until Thursday. All great Coaches (and we've had a few here) know you become great with repetitive success. I look forward to the day we have one once again. And lastly it wasn't Mullens job to honor Mr. Jackson and if it was, he did a piss poor job of it.
friday-movie-daaamn.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Most fans are scoreboard and stat sheet fans and that is okay. But there are some of us (on this board), that are quality of play, game management and bigger picture viewers. If the non scoreboard watchers thought that the history of Cousin Eddie was upward progress as the season progresses, perhaps the tone would be different. But most of us have been around a long time and Cousin Eddie has enough on paper for us to know the outcome. We have been to the "play" before. The cast changes but the outcome is always the same. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

The key for me is to (a) go to the game or (b) go to a packed Gator bar or (3) throw a raging Gator party.

I think a lot of these folks watch and drink alone while taking copious notes until they eventually change the channel.

Gator game + beer+ packed house+max volume = awesome time.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Then our problem may be near an end as Mullen will obviously die from sleep deprivation before the Alabama game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator