Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Florida Atlantic

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
Should have turned over last year, why would he change course now. This is what he wants, and if last year's performance didn't change it, what could really change his mind this time.

I think it turns over either way. Because he either sucks again and he's the sacrificial lamb or he is okay and goes to the Nfl. Grantham wants to be in the nfl i think. Nobody really wants him here. Mullen sucks to work for I'm sure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grantham wants to be in the nfl i think. Nobody really wants him here..
Grantham will never be anything but a position coach in the NFL. if he tried to pull his crap in the NFL he would be fired all month.

He made Kintucky's JC transfer WR and every other crappy QB look like a heisman comtender. Imagine what NFL OCs and QBs would do to Third and Grantham.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I don't quite get the criticism to use Davis when he had a good game (over 100 yards rushing and 7.4 ypc) and held onto the ball. It's very likely the coaches knew/trusted Davis would be successful and that we could run effectively with him as the lead RB vs an overmatched FAU.

No idea whether Davis is going to be the lead guy or not throughout the year--but if he keeps putting up this type of performance against the better teams on the schedule, it'll be tough to justify moving away from him too much and especially with the threat he brings on wheel routes and RB swing passes.
Agree. There’s so much that sucked about this performance that worrying about Davis, who was a player of the game candidate, getting carries in the red zone is way down the list of concerns that has Dullem and Emory at the top of the list with absolute WTF performances.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Grantham will never be anything but a position coach in the NFL. if he tried to pull his crap in the NFL he would be fired all month.

He made Kintucky's JC transfer WR and every other crappy QB look like a heisman comtender. Imagine what NFL OCs and QBs would do to Third and Grantham.
I realize that NFL GM’s often make some really logic defying decisions, but I just don’t see any of the beating a path to his door. What in his track record can possibly be impressing them? Not to mention that by all accounts he’s personally a real a-hole.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I don't quite get the criticism to use Davis when he had a good game (over 100 yards rushing and 7.4 ypc) and held onto the ball. It's very likely the coaches knew/trusted Davis would be successful and that we could run effectively with him as the lead RB vs an overmatched FAU.

No idea whether Davis is going to be the lead guy or not throughout the year--but if he keeps putting up this type of performance against the better teams on the schedule, it'll be tough to justify moving away from him too much and especially with the threat he brings on wheel routes and RB swing passes.
Not saying Davis is ineffective. He's much better running outside the tackles and catching the ball in space. He Sometimes does okay between the tackles, but not as well as DP, who btw can squat 700lbs and has the thicker frame to pound it between the tackles, especially on short yardage situations.

2-3 years ago, DP was our closer. Last year Davis was our closer @ atm and gave the ball away for the loss. There have been other fumbles, including one that would've avoided some last second drama vs tinerc. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't trust his ability to hold onto the ball.

Sometimes, you need a screwdriver. Sometimes you need a sledgehammer named Dameon freaking Pierce. Coaches should know how to use the right tool for the right job.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The offense seemed to be running decently (first game) until Mullen decided to give AR the third series. Then EJ came in and was set up to fail with the play-calling which was disjointed all night long. It's hard to grade any of the players in themselves with the complete mish/mash of play-calling, almost like Mullen had all the plays in a hat, and just was picking at random. Neither quarterback put anything on tape that should make any of our opponents worry about the passing game. AR looked every bit as athletic as expected. Even though it was impressive it was also FAU.

On Defense more of the same. FAU was the worst offense in FBS football last year, and coached by a Dub's favorite WILLLLLLLLLLEEEE. Their players were running free and other than the obvious talent difference it reminded me a lot of last year's squad.

This is the first game of the season, and you don't want to take too much out of it, even in the Spurrier years it was game 2 where you really saw what kind of team you had. But after watching this, I see we have the same kind of coaches and possibly worse offensive playcalling.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The one good thing I saw last night was Dan letting AR play the last few series as if the game was on the line. I was certain we were going to turtle up but instead he was throwing the ball downfield late in the 4th.
If only the csucker would coach every series that way….

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Wait, we have position coaches who are purely recruiters?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Yes, we are just saving the real offense.

Like the last decade.

Is it any wonder why Muschump, Butters, and Mullen have struggled on the recruiting trail? Football has changed: if you're a 4 or 5 star guy with the option to play at a school with a freewheeling offense...you head there more often than not. Coaches that emphasize putting up lot of points and by extension lots of stats get the best recruits. Coaches that play vanilla offensive gameplans to "save themselves" for the games that matter struggle to recruit.

Saban recognized this years ago when he opened up the offense to be able to get better offensive talent...and continue to win championships, get top recruits, and send them to the NFL.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The FAU offense was only stopped on most of their drives because of the mistakes they made and not really what our defense did. It was quite troubling. The only positive was the play of the DL and the amount of rotation they had on the field. Did our LBs even make a single play all night?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If only the csucker would coach every series that way….
It is the stupidity of it all.

Mullinz CAN call a great game, but he wont because he must Noter Dum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.