Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Florida Atlantic

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
While Davis is great with the passing game and solid in the run game, it's troublesome that he gets way too many snaps compared to DP, especially in goal line situations. Baffling roster decisions by Knox and DM.
You are surprised that Dan gives most of the snaps to the most senior among the group? Really? Next you'll tell us that running QB power in a goal line situation was completely out of the ordinary.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
It is the stupidity of it all.

Mullinz CAN call a great game, but he wont because he must Noter Dum.

He usually has 5 or so WTF calls a game when you can tell he's trying to be slick and thinks he's the smartest one in the stadium. For example like continually putting the smallest and most fumble prone running back on the team in the game in goal line and short yardage situations. Why in the fuch would you run Davis up the gut in those situations when you've got a battering ram like Pierce on the sideline. We all know he's trying to trick the defense into thinking he's gonna throw it to Davis out of the back field but in his mind he's out smarting them by sending his tiny ass up the middle.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He usually has 5 or so WTF calls a game when you can tell he's trying to be slick and thinks he's the smartest one in the stadium. .
Yes he does but that isnt what I mean. To an extent everyone calls some stulid plays sometimes. It just happens.

He COULD be a a great aggressive down-the-field attacking OC. He could have been SOS OC. About 50% of the time last year when forced so it with Trash, he was racking up yards and scaring DBs, averaging a first down per completion.

Then 45% of the time, he had to waste the downs calling options and Notre Daming.

He just cant help himself. He just wants ball control, twenty yards sideways and cloud of dirt.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I had to listen to WRUF on my phone...No power and no Internet

Did it look as bad as it sounded?

Lee McGiff kept saying..."Grantham can't get them off the field"

My thoughts...SEC will just Stuff the box and dare us to throw.

Any good QB will pick our DB's apart.

AND once again...STUPID Personal Fouls

But it was a win...And I have Power and Internet.

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Is it any wonder why Muschump, Butters, and Mullen have struggled on the recruiting trail? Football has changed: if you're a 4 or 5 star guy with the option to play at a school with a freewheeling offense...you head there more often than not. Coaches that emphasize putting up lot of points and by extension lots of stats get the best recruits. Coaches that play vanilla offensive gameplans to "save themselves" for the games that matter struggle to recruit.

Saban recognized this years ago when he opened up the offense to be able to get better offensive talent...and continue to win championships, get top recruits, and send them to the NFL.
That last paragraph, to me, is what separates him from the rest. Most people see him as this stoic, stuck in the “old days” of football, a-hole, but for all of that talk, the guy just does whatever it takes to win. If that means running it 60 times a game, he will do it, if it means letting a guy like Kiffin or Sark run his offense, he will do it. That’s why he is, in my opinion, the best ever.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
You miss the point. Mullen did this last year losing to LSU and almost a couple of others trying to build to big games on the schedule.
I don’t think that’s what happened at all.

Mullen did what Mullen does, and that was Richt the big games away 9/10 times. The exception to that 9/10 was the Ugay game last year and the LSU game in 2018. Both big wins against respectable ranked opponents, but both schools have dipshyts comparable to Cousin Eddie for head coaches.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That last paragraph, to me, is what separates him from the rest. Most people see him as this stoic, stuck in the “old days” of football, a-hole, but for all of that talk, the guy just does whatever it takes to win. If that means running it 60 times a game, he will do it, if it means letting a guy like Kiffin or Sark run his offense, he will do it. That’s why he is, in my opinion, the best ever.
The thing that also separates him IMO is the discipline he instills in his team.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

yes, it was excruciatingly painful to watch. i turned it off at the end of the 3rd qtr because it was ruining an otherwise pleasant holiday weekend. Glad you and the fam are ok; we were all very concerned when we didnt hear from you for a few days. Hope you guys get back up and running soon.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The thing that also separates him IMO is the discipline he instills in his team.
I dont even know if i would call it discipline. I dont think that goes far enough and i think its more than sheer discipline. Saban teaches them and demands accountability. It's not just him holding them accountable, its them holding each other accountable as well. You see it in their play, in their comms in the games and on the sideline, in the leadership that is displayed year after year. He produces men in college jerseys while most teams, including us, produce prima donna's that care more about their draft stock and which instabytch they are fking after the game than they do anything else.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont even know if i would call it discipline. I dont think that goes far enough and i think its more than sheer discipline. Saban teaches them and demands accountability. It's not just him holding them accountable, its them holding each other accountable as well. You see it in their play, in their comms in the games and on the sideline, in the leadership that is displayed year after year. He produces men in college jerseys while most teams, including us, produce prima donna's that care more about their draft stock and which instabytch they are fking after the game than they do anything else.
Professionalism. Knowing the difference between good and good enough.

When I was a senior in high school I was on the varsity wrestling team. The biggest event of my HS life was about to happen, which was an in-school match against our crosstown rival. Unlike a normal match where like 50 people were there, all 3000 kids at our school were sure to attend. I was stoked. Then, like a dumbass, the last practice before the match I lost the wrestle-off to the junior who was the JV guy in our weight class. Never lost to him before or after that day. Part of me wanted the coach to say hey, you're gonna wrestle anyway, but he was a retired Marine and there was no way he was going to pull any special favors. The system was that the winner of the wrestle off is the varsity guy and that was that. I got to sit there like a spectator while all my friends were asking me why I wasn't out there.

More than that, I knew damn well not to even ask my coach about it or start acting like an entitled little bych. Saban strikes me as that same kind of guy....here is the system, best guy starts. Guys who can't handle their business get to sit and watch. Mullen strikes me as the kind of guy who uses all kinds of rationalization for going against this basic concept.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Todd "can't get them off the field" Grantham.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Y'all are both right, of course; but key to both discipline and accountability in this context is enforceability too.

Saban expects discipline and demands accountability from his players. And if he doesn't get it, everyone knows that there's 2-3 5* or 4* players behind them on the depth chart just itching for a chance (take notes Mullen!!)...and very likely a dozen other 4* hovering around the program on the practice squad as greyshirts or redshirts.

Failure to "make it" at Alabama won't kill one's professional prospects; but few guys that have transferred out of Bama have gone on to success elsewhere. It's worth it to do what he asks in the hopes that it leads to success at this level and the next.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
yes, it was excruciatingly painful to watch. i turned it off at the end of the 3rd qtr because it was ruining an otherwise pleasant holiday weekend. Glad you and the fam are ok; we were all very concerned when we didnt hear from you for a few days. Hope you guys get back up and running soon.

Thanks for your thoughts. As you know, I like the people here...especially down the Bayou...where IDA came in.

NO not so much...IT's Fuchsed politically and socially in many areas. My wife who is from there does not even go to NO if she can help it.

Back to the Gators...It sounded like Grantham is Fuchsed also. And some of Cousin Eddie's play calling was questionable?

But I get to watch this week...and I will...:ohboy:

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The FAU offense was only stopped on most of their drives because of the mistakes they made and not really what our defense did. It was quite troubling. The only positive was the play of the DL and the amount of rotation they had on the field. Did our LBs even make a single play all night?
Anyone who's looked at any film breakdown by any competent analyst, on either side of the ball, knows we're in deep trouble. If EJ is still starting at QB against the bammers, AND play doesn't improve significantly on D, we are going to catch an ass-whipping of biblical proportions. EJ really seems like a great kid and he is a very good athlete. But after re-watching the game and viewing some petty good film analysis, I'm very doubtful of EJ's ability to develop into a competitive SEC QB anytime soon. We also looked even worse in the secondary and at LB on the field than we do on paper. Meanwhile, TG is still stinking up the sideline because DM wants it that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.