Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Florida State

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
The usual solid recap. Thanks, Cover.

Care to summarize the adjustments made by the coaches at halftime? It appears they did some things differently in the 2nd half. That seems to be so.ething Mullen does well as opposed to the previous "coach" who never seemed to change anything at the half.

I believe Mick said the Noles were 1 for 13 on 3rd down conversions so I guess 3rd and Grantham didn't make an appearance today.

This staff does seem able to adjust at halftime. That's great after 3 years of not seeing that.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed that clown azz-kicking for the full 60! The Gator improvement overall bore fruit today in the play of the O, the D and the special teams. Absolutely no doubt who the better team was - WAY better. The azznoles lose the game, lose their streak and lose the consecutive bowl appearances. To Hell with them! They deserved every punch we threw as we proved without a doubt to the whole country just how inferior Willy's team is to the Florida Gators this year. Thank you CDM. And a special shoutout that I never thought I'd make - Franks, you played one helluva game all through the demolition of these skanks. Excellent job F. Franks!!!

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
This staff does seem able to adjust at halftime. That's great after 3 years of not seeing that.

I don’t think it was so much a matter of adjusting the scheme as it was getting the guys to play harder and execute. We didn’t change what we were doing in the second half but FSUcks defensive line was no longer pushing our OL backwards. We were pushing them.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Great conclusion to the regular season that was the first step of a big rebuild. Lots of good things by our team, but still some inconsistencies and a couple of head scratching decisions that fortunately didn't harm us on the way to a big win. Biggest stories from the game have to be the defense, especially the ends and most notably Polite, Franks, and the ineptitude an lack of discipline displayed by F$U.

With the exception of a couple of series, the D kept the Nole O on the ropes. I thought like a lot of us that keeping pressure on Francois was job one and they obviously did a great job save the aforementioned two series where Francois threw and ran for a score. Otherwise, he was harassed effectively resulting in four sacks (I think), a fumble, two picks, and a number of errant throws. Franks is the Sunshine Kid for the day. Threw for three scores to Hammond, Jefferson, and Grimes, managed the offense, and didn't make any critical mistakes. He seems to have gained some momentum after the UGA and Missouri games and looked more poised than ever maybe. It'll be interesting to see what the bowl will bring where his continued development is concerned. The Clowns, on the other hand, looked more undisciplined and uncoached as ever despite obvious talent in their front seven and some aspects of their offense that doesn't include their
OL. Penalties by them came in waves, kids running on the field late, ineffective passing game for the great majority of the game (a lot of credit goes to our D, however), and poor execution of their coverage schemes add up to the hot mess that they are. Glad it's them and part of me wants to believe that they are getting what they deserve after making a snowflake decision on a coach. But I digress. Let's review some specifics...

*Our OL wasn't stellar today by any means. To wit, not getting a push when needed on a couple of fourth downs in the red (one featured a whiff by the LG) and some inconsistencies in the run and pass pro. But they were far superior to the hapless Nole$. They had a part in us putting up 41 and should be applauded as such. That said, this group needs to make great strides before next season as well as being fortified by some good gets in recruiting. Hevesy IMO has made them more functional than they've been in a while, so I believe we have the guy, but we've got to get him some good players to coach.

*Running game was decent overall despite some of the OL inconsistencies. Perine, as has been the case lately, was pretty good, rushing for over a hundred with the long TD run. Good blocking and the F$U safety getting sealed inside, which resulted in a zero look with nobody in the back yard playside to make a tackle led to the success of this play. Scarlett was better late, running hard with each carry, and scored the final TD to put the exclamation point on the game.

*Jefferson and Grimes stood out among the receivers. Jefferson's TD on the seam route was highlighted by a deft deke inside that put the defender on his @ss and left him "quarantined" to borrow Mick's catch phrase. Grimes was great on the comeback move throw from Franks that resulted in a TD and his post route and reception was text book on the Franks' RPO. Toney had a really nice catch in traffic and Hammond was effective as well. The receiving corps is an obvious strength and stronger still when Franks is playing well, meaning making good decisions and throwing accurately.

*As mentioned earlier, the D was pretty good, especially the ends led by Polite. If I have a criticism or two, it is that the ends often getting too far upfield which allows the QB to either step up and throw or escape on a run. Joseph still isn't good in coverage, but our secondary is growing and recorded several PBUs along with mostly solid coverage. The two picks by Dean and Stiner were not bad either. We've got something to build on with this group, but adding superior athletes is still necessary.

*MVP for the clowns was their punter, but I still don't think he was the best punter today. Townsend was remarkable, especially when he flipped the field with a 64 yarder when it looked like the Nole$ would have good field position and a chance to score and close the gap.

*I wasn't crazy about Mullen's decisions to go for it on fourth down twice instead of taking the FGs. I guess I understand his thinking, but the combination of poor blocking and play calls left us with nothing when any points would have added to the load on the Clowns. Wound up not hurting, so maybe it's a moot point?

*Polite needs more press. Monster game with 6 tackles, 2.5 for loss 3.5 sacks, a caused fumble, and several hurries. You know Frenchy had to be thinking about him every passing down. He's grown into an effective rusher and impact player who most likely will go into the draft. I'd love to see him stay, bulk up, and work on his consistency and technique, but most likely isn't happening depending on where he is projected. A successful story nonetheless.

*Shout out to my Bainbridge Bearcats. Went up to Buford and upset a strong team in the state quarterfinals. Buford looked like a college team, boasting 8 out of the top 100 recruits fron Georgia on their roster. Massive OL/DL and some of the best facilities you'll see in high school. There's something to be said for believing. David slew Goliath and will be at Sockbridge next Friday for the semi's.

I guess now we can drink a well-deserved beer/cocktail on a season that really exceeded most early expectations (I have a 1/2 case of Blue Moon awaiting just for this occasion). There's still the bowl to be negotiated and that is another important step in the rebuild, for the extra practices made available, and depending on what you believe, a final opportunity to put UF in the spotlight for future recruits and legitimization that our coaching hire was better than some might have wanted to believe. Make no mistake, Mullen's work is just starting as we look to get back into first the SEC and national pictures. But it's hard not to believe he has accomplished quite a bit in this first year. It's been said before, but what he's gotten out of Franks is deserving of a medal. He'll be judged more closely with what he can produce on the recruiting trail and there are some worries with the upcoming class that will have to be quickly addressed is they can. But all aspects of the program are a process and he is certainly deserving of the time to keep the ship turning.

Meanwhile, let's revel in the fact that our victory today provides the Clowns with a losing season and no bowl. Couldn't happen to a better bunch. I wish them continued similar success. They are most deserving and to Coach Taggert, here's to your longevity (**hoists beer**). It's great to be a Florida Gator!

:chomp:

Have fun in Stockbridge cover. It’s a crap hole now but was nice 20 years ago. That’s where I grew up and they were one if our rival schools. I hope you beat the piss out of them.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
It was fun watching the brodcast and listening to Mcleroy and crew repeatedly harp on how undisciplined and disorganized Half ass U was. It’s amazing to be on this side of of supirior coaching for the first time in a half a decade!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good read C2. Maybe I am to thank b/c I was only able to watch the 1st half before I had to travel. And I must say I was utterly disgusted at half b/c the game should have been over after the 1st quarter and easily over at half, but questionable game management left me bloody from scratching my head so hard. The most obvious thing is that the SUCKholes are effing HORRENDOUS. As fundamentally lacking as we are in some areas, the :nole: are awful fundamentally and mentally challenged and undisciplined and coached as badly as possible. Why would Cosusin Eddie not kick a FG on 4th down from the 2 yd. line to take the lead? Mistake in my opinion, but let's say okay he went for it. Why would you call THAT running play? Even the most ardent supporters of Cousin Eddie would have to agree that was a horrendous call. Your worst runner on a designed run? Forget the missed blocks, etc, b/c all plays are designed to be positive if blocked properly, but even if that had been successful, it was still an awful call. I can think of about 25 better plays, just as simple as that one that would have been better. Got a lot of breaks, like when that long pass and run to the RB for a TD by the :nole:got called back. Who designs a coverage where the Nose Tackle is responsible for the RB in pass coverage? That had to make Joe Lee Dunn so proud. Also still very poor technique in pass cverage that leads to unnecessary penalties.

But clearly things got better in the 2nd half and maybe I should eschew from watching ever again. Either way it was a must win, and should have been over before halftime. But I will talk about that later. Thanx C2 for all your poignant recaps. They are a must read and Pulitzer material.

UForFU

Nov 17, 2017
I think 282 rushing yards has to be more than "decent." Even with Perine's run that's over 200. There were a ton of times when it looked we were running into a wall and guys just found lanes and ended up with 7, 8, 9+ yards.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen has exceeded a lot of expectations or darn well met most of them head on. We have 9 wins and destroyed 2 arch rivals in Tenn and FSU. We also beat a very tough MSU team and top ranked LSU team. Our offense has been remarkable better rising the ranks and getting over 5100 yards. Our defense once again has been ranked very highly all year. Our team with all its flaws has been remarkable better and played much better and harder and tougher. Its a team with flaws that Mullen was given and he turned them into WINNERS. This is only the beginning and the Gators future under Mullen is very bright. Some like FF won't give Mullen credit as referenced by him calling Mullen Cousin Eddie and he probably NEVER will as he doesn't like ANY of our coaches which is just fine. We all have the right to gripe about all the coaches in everything they do and never give them credit for winning or destroying a rival or turning a program around. Mullen, White, and Sully are ALL doin work at UF and it has shown with all our success and even more to come! Go Gators!!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of giving, it would be nice if you can give me a few hundred of your likes. I'm actually surprised by the 4 dislikes you've been given. I can only guess Jay and Swonkey gave you one apiece.
Haters gonna hate :)

The usual solid recap. Thanks, Cover.

Care to summarize the adjustments made by the coaches at halftime? It appears they did some things differently in the 2nd half. That seems to be so.ething Mullen does well as opposed to the previous "coach" who never seemed to change anything at the half.

I believe Mick said the Noles were 1 for 13 on 3rd down conversions so I guess 3rd and Grantham didn't make an appearance today.
I quoted Long Tooth's post below because the most noticeable adjustment in the second half to me was jacking up the OL and getting them to put more effort into their assignments. Staying with the run game with the better OL play eventually took its toll on them.

I don’t think it was so much a matter of adjusting the scheme as it was getting the guys to play harder and execute. We didn’t change what we were doing in the second half but FSUcks defensive line was no longer pushing our OL backwards. We were pushing them.
My thoughts as well!

I think 282 rushing yards has to be more than "decent." Even with Perine's run that's over 200. There were a ton of times when it looked we were running into a wall and guys just found lanes and ended up with 7, 8, 9+ yards.
Sorry. The old coach in me is still kind of stingy with the superlatives. "Decent" from me can be translated to "pretty f'n good!" most of the time.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2 : early in the season, it had been awhile since I had been back on GC. Not because I had gone to another board, I hadn't. But back around my 63rd birthday (day after LSU win), perhaps a week earlier, I came back. And one major reason was that I enjoyed your post-game analysis so much. You NEVER disappoint. You were spot on with your analysis of the HUGE win over the Criminoles today. Kudos to you - I always look forward to your post game post. Too bad there's just one left in the season.

You certainly deserve that half case of Blue Moon awaiting you. Indeed, considering where we were last year, and where we are now, how much Dan has gotten out of what seemed to be an unsalvageable quarterback, how he has changed the offense and the culture at UF, we ALL deserve a libation (or two, or three) in honor of a successful season.
Thanks Savannah! Good to see you back around these parts. This is something I enjoy doing and I always hope what I put out is technically correct, somewhat insightful, and easy to read. I try not to fall off the deep end on either side of the opinions of the program and I believe expressing myself honestly may make my opinions easier to consider. Of course I reserve the right to raise occasional hell if some aspects of player and coach performance needs a strong address!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
3. The defense coaches must be frustrated with the safety position, because Burney is getting real reps. He looks lost out there too. It is experience for next season though which is good.
it's great experience. getting them on the field and having them think "wow...this is moving FAST". It helps them to prepare better. Reps against the scout team just aren't the same.

it's the same with assignments and plays/schemes. Sometimes it's hard to comprehend something and truly understand the significance of what the code to saying if you haven't been on the field.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was fun watching the brodcast and listening to Mcleroy and crew repeatedly harp on how undisciplined and disorganized Half ass U was. It’s amazing to be on this side of of supirior coaching for the first time in a half a decade!
LOTS of recruits heard that.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great write-up as always. This is the most fun I've had watching the fsu game since 2009. It was a tad frustrating that we left 6-14 points off the board, but winning by 4 touchdowns certainly makes up for that. I also think the ACC crew deserves credit for calling a fair game. I don't think any of us expected fsu to get called for so many penalties. Taggert is a disaster. Hopefully they keep him for many years.

Franks played the best game of his career. If he continues to play this well in the bowl and then through fall camp, then EJ won't get all the playing time next year that we were all hoping he'd get two weeks ago. Hopefully mature along the way as well.

Also my one year old did the gator chomp on his own without my help for the first time today while saying "chop, chop". I think that made me as proud and happy as the big win.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
it's great experience. getting them on the field and having them think "wow...this is moving FAST". It helps them to prepare better. Reps against the scout team just aren't the same.

it's the same with assignments and plays/schemes. Sometimes it's hard to comprehend something and truly understand the significance of what the code to saying if you haven't been on the field.

That’s what’s so impressive about Trey Dean. Got thrown in at the deep end as a noob when Marco went down and got his reward today for a season where he was far from perfect, but held his own and improved faster than most freshmen.

He’s going to be an absolute terror.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Corner is a pretty easy position to play. Not to many reads or moving parts. It's no doubt the easiest defensive position for a freshman to play. Just glad he got reps. Could be a nickel next year or just a third corner when we are healthy. Or maybe play safety.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CDM is developing a Top-10 contender, already. The end of this season was great -- wait ! It ain't ended yet. Our guys got several more weeks of development to spring on the bowl opponent, and spring on us fans.

Hope to see Franks become a more advanced QB -- one valuable for next season. I think Mullen & Franks can do that. The extended practice/playing time should lead to everyone's advancing development.
Mullen's Gators are on the move.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
@cover2 : as always a greatwrite up, but I have a disagreement regarding the OL play. They are limited from a skill perspective, on that we agree, but if we grade on a curve for this year (and last), it was probably their best game over two years. 282 yards rushing, with a lot of RB help but also some sealing lanes, and more time for our qb than I can remember in a long time against decent competiton. So, compared to last year and earlier this year, I’d put them in the highlights/superlatives portion of your OP.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile, let's revel in the fact that our victory today provides the Clowns with a losing season and no bowl. Couldn't happen to a better bunch. I wish them continued similar success. They are most deserving and to Coach Taggert, here's to your longevity (**hoists beer**). It's great to be a Florida Gator!
This X's 1000. It couldn't have happened to a better bunch. :yes::yes::yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.