Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Florida State

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It was by no means a masterpiece. I don’t know anyone on our side that thought it would be, but it wound up as a 24-21 win over F$U and added maybe a wee bit of closure to the Dan Mullen reign. Comparatively, it showed us some things that might have made the season better and also reinforced why we were 5-6 going into the rivalry game with the Clowns. To wit, AR gave us yet another glimpse of what he’s capable of (as long as he stays on the roster) and Pierce confirmed that the head scratching and cursing was justified regarding his token carries. The undisciplined play of the defense, with pockets of IDGAF interspersed, along with poor OL play and the insistence that a Slot Receiver could lead us at QB was a condensed negative seasonal highlight. Yet, the Gators found a way to find enough heart and persevere. Gee, I wonder what was different? ;)

As mad as I found myself over the past two seasons, I never wished anything sinister or deadly on Mullen and Grantham, et al. I wished them gone and I’m glad that has come true. I believe it was apparent to most that Mullen cast an air of pride and hubris that he doubled down on when things began unraveling, using several players (and coaches) as his chess pieces to show everyone just what a grand football mind he had…and they did not. Checkmate, or so he thought. In the end, he wound up conceding his King and scurried away with his fat payoff, leaving the team in the hands of an interim and (most certainly) a lame dog staff. Kudos to them, the players especially, and the fans on hand to watch us deny Norvell and his carnival bowl eligibility.

The talk about who’s next has started and seemingly a forgone conclusion. Hopefully we’ll know for sure by the first of the week. For those that wished we wouldn’t have to endure a lesser bowl, I understand, but the practices, if nothing else, help maintain a CFB post-season schedule for the underclassmen and should be a reward for enduring some of the BS that they all went through. Along these lines, my Christmas wish is for vastly improved attention to recruiting, organization, and accountability. Attention to the vertical passing game would also be appreciated! If we can get this, we’ll be immediately better, maybe not immediately great, but our trajectory would be more aligned to something heading into the heavens rather than the previous handfuls of bottle rockets we’ve put up with. It’s time for better fortune.

*As happy as I know we all were for Dameon, I know many were seething that we never fully utilized him throughout his Gator career. The TD that wasn’t, powering into the end zone with his helmet missing and his eyes full of fury, will no doubt become a recounted legend. Sad that there weren’t more of these. There should have been. Good luck in the draft. Some team should get a good one pretty cheap thanks to Steely Dan.

*Job one for the next guy will most certainly be to try and secure Richardson. Anyone with half a brain knows he’s got “it.” Run and throw with equal threat to the opposition. He should be the next great one here at UF. Should have already had a head start. On the postgame show, Lee remarked that in a prior conversation with Mullen about AR, it was commented about him that “what you don’t see is what he doesn’t know!” Smartest guy in the room said that. What a dildo. We could all see what he could do! Seems like that should have had the knowledge and experience mixed in with the opportunity to put it to better use in more game situations.

*”The Whiff at Ben Griff!” I’m still laughing! With all that was riding on that on side kick, how in the world do you screw it up that badly? I know the interwebz are clogged up with the Lucy and Charlie Brown memes and gifs right now, as they should be.

*The defense has been better without Grantham, though not exactly stellar. As has been mentioned elsewhere, we are still very undisciplined (a ton of offsides penalties) and have some guys who noticeably take plays off, but they were good enough to win last week and hung on today against a pretty nifty QB. Cox is the poster child for this group. Four sacks, but several loafs and offsides. That kind of play points squarely at a lack of accountability required by the staff. Hopefully the new broom sweeps clean.

*Not necessarily a Hevesy fan, though I have been in the past, I can’t tell a ton of difference in the sample size since his departure. We couldn’t run it until later in the game when the Nole$ were gassed. This has got to become a team strength regardless of what our offensive scheme becomes if it is to be consistent and successful. Better recruiting is a starting point.

*For once, we didn’t have the worst Special Teams in the game. Not that ours were marvelous, but F$U’s was worse and no doubt had a hand in their defeat. I fully expect this area to become no threat to us and ideally provide an advantage. I appreciate the walk on, but for heaven’s sake, let’s get somebody that can not only put it through the end zone, but also keep it in bounds.

Not many are overjoyed with how this season played out overall, but I believe everyone is happy with a win over the Nole$. Most have got to be happy with the upcoming coaching change, though some feelings of apprehension about the who are to be expected. I’m pleased that Stricklin (or whoever) pulled the plug, but it might should have been sooner. The job now is twofold…get us a good one and don’t make the same mistake you did with Mullen. That’s not too much to ask. The days ahead will have us “debating” the choice with the gamut ranging from “overjoyed” to “wait and see” to “WTF?!” I’ll take that variance compared to what we are coming out from under (decidedly “WTF” in my opinion). In the meantime, I’m preparing to enjoy a year of recounting knocking the Nole$ from bowl contention and “The Whiff!” A good snifter of Clown Tears was just what the doctor ordered! Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent work. I especially enjoyed the part where you called Mullen a dildo. :lol:

I know there isn't lots to talk about in the offseason, but I hope we get some more Bits and Pieces perodically over the next 10 months besides the bowl game summary.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
A good snifter of Clown Tears was just what the doctor ordered! Go Gators!
I'll drink to that!
Here's to the Whiff at Ben Griff.
Here's to the best TD of the year...
by a helmetless Pierce...
may it rocket you up the draft boards young man.
Outstanding.
Here's to the end of the Dipsh!t Dan fiasco.
What a monumental waste of time.
We knew what we were getting, like trying to watch Fletch 2.
And here's to the next guy up.
:swampqueen::stars::drunk::nolerape::moon3:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for your efforts on GatorChatter!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
3.5 hours later and I’m the 6th reply is a tail tell sign. Rock bottom.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Nailed it as usual, cover!

THE single biggest gripe I have with dan’s roster management was his bewildering underutilization of Dameon Pierce. Yes, even more so than AR, though that is a close second. The Perine/Pierce combo made it obvious who should’ve inherited the bulk of the carries when Perine left. Any other coach in the nation knows that answer.

Whoever ends up the HC, I hope discipline (assignments and penalties) and accountability are massive priorities… a 1b and 1c to recruiting.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
7th! Edit: dammit! 8th!
It’s because us left coasters are still up.
Got $44 on UCLA; if they cover I’ll net $120 this weekend on $132 bet.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover you always "cover" it all and spot on.

Mullen was absolutely the most arrogant and "clueless" coach I've seen. "You can't see what you don't know". Maybe Mullen was talking about himself. But that has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Last I checked it was the HC to help them learn. Put your best talented players on the field and help them learn to win. Especially with AR's talent. Just sounds like stupid coach speak to keep Premature EJ and the loyalists playing.

The helmetless TD was awesome. But it is the most moronic rule in the books. I can see if a player keeps running down the field after realizing his helmet is off. But on a two yard run near the goal line? Simply blow it dead then and start over. The PF against the NULLS bailed us out there. But Pierce was a man possessed on that drive. I know somewhere in his mind he was showing Mullen, go EFF yourself for not giving him more touches.

I guess I am happy for the meantime. I have the two wins I needed. I can trash the Vols for another year. We beat the Noles. Some of Christmas a bit early.

See your bits at the Bowl game post.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks folks for the readership and kind remarks. The feeling this morning is akin to Ben Hur escaping from the Roman Galleon, avoiding certain death (some melodrama here), glad to be alive, still not quite certain just where we’re going, but wherever is better than where we’ve been! All this is a good segue into a gripe I had from the game that I left out of the initial post, that is, when I’m watching football, I’d prefer to not have a social awareness lesson nor a protracted pitch for head coaching candidates. I appreciate mention and a reminder of Willie Jackson and others who broke the color barrier in the SEC, very important no doubt, but the extended version would be better as a separate ESPN special. Let’s focus on the game. I don’t think it’s a stretch that a lot of people watch football and sports partially as an escape from societal ills.

Lastly, I was afraid Knox was going to blow his gig by staying with EJ. After the TD pass to Gamble, his early pinnacle, the passing game went nowhere to the tune of three picks. Emory’s a great kid and teammate by all accounts, but Mullen’s dogged “I’ll show you!” insistence on playing him was not fair to the team, the fans, or to Emory. Good luck EJ; good riddance DM.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To think the line will get better by getting rid of Hevs and you continue to send out two 6 yr guys that continue to get beat is the definition of INSANITY!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Richardson and Pierce decisions are head scratching.

Does Emory really play that good in practice? If he throws 3 INTs against a bad defense, how many does he throw during the week in practice?

And Pierce? The guy is the best RB on the team. So much that he was the starter a year ago.

I am glad that the nightmare is over. I really hope we get someone who wins games and is not embarrassing to listen to in post game interviews (KNOX).

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thank you @cover2 for sharing your insight and observations once again. My Sunday mornings with a mug of coffee and “Bits and Pieces” are one of my favorite times of the fall.

Your points about AR and Pierce again highlight the inexplicable decisions of the DM era. I will never understand his doubling down on his hardheadedness when it was clearly costing him games. (I’ve come to believe it became spite at the end- it’s the only thing that makes sense.) And while I’m sure all of us would have played AR much sooner yesterday, at least Knox finally figured it out. (And remains undefeated as a HC!)

After the Ugly game, my greatest fear was we would somehow win the last four games and it would give us another year of DM. In the end it actually worked out perfectly: we lost enough to get him canned, but didn’t suffer the humiliation of losing to an FCS team and beat the clowns on senior day.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Cover, your ability to analyze a game is equaled by your mastery of the Queen’s English. Here are some great examples.

Thanks for your write-ups all year. They helped me heal from the literal and figurative hangovers the Gators left me every Sunday Morning.

f we can get this, we’ll be immediately better, maybe not immediately great, but our trajectory would be more aligned to something heading into the heavens rather than the previous handfuls of bottle rockets we’ve put up with.
Checkmate, or so he thought. In the end, he wound up conceding his King and scurried away with his fat payoff, leaving the team in the hands of an interim and (most certainly) a lame dog staff.
Smartest guy in the room said that. What a dildo.
The days ahead will have us “debating” the choice with the gamut ranging from “overjoyed” to “wait and see” to “WTF?!” I’ll take that variance compared to what we are coming out from under (decidedly “WTF” in my opinion).

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Cover if in this day and age they paid really good money for sportswriters, you'd be a rich man.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Great work, as always, @cover2 I was at the game with my family and after the Pierce run I turned to the wife and kids and said “guys, that was bad ass!” I couldn’t think of anything else in the moment to say to describe it any better.

Btw, maybe I should bring my kids more often. The Gators are 5-0 in games I’ve brought them to.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If plenty got an extra year due to the plague of COVID, surely Pierce should get an extra year due to the plague of Mullen.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator