Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Georgia

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Capable....but unable. Mick said something along those lines in the wrap-up. I couldn't agree more. We rode into Jax with only one loss, that to SECW heavyweight LSU. We'd found our QB and leader and along with our sterling group of receivers, the passing game was clicking. Bookends Greenard and Zuniga were set to return, rested and healthier. Bring on Fromm! Bring on Swift! This was to be our chance to reclaim the city and turn the series back in our direction. Six point 'dogs? We got this!

But it was not to be. This was not UT or Kentucky or Auburn or South Carolina. This was Georgia, the team that hates us as much as we hate them and they had the tools to get it done. Along with the previously-mentioned positives, there were some negatives that were our undoing:
  • UGA owned third down. Seemed like every time we had an opportunity to force a change of possession, they'd convert. We, on the other hand, couldn't buy one when we had to have it.
  • We were 2/3 on fourth downs, but the one we didn't get, the first attempt on the first drive of the game, seemed to rob us of our mojo. Mullen said in his post-game talk that after that "we failed to respond." He wasn't kidding.
  • We couldn't block. They could. Even though we held their ground game in check for three quarters of the game, we were absolutely unable to run it against them when we had to. Furthermore, we got overpowered and passed by often while pass blocking. Our OL looked like the scout team, but we all knew this was bound to happen. We just hoped it wouldn't.
  • Grantham's scheme looked almost identical to the one employed against LSU, generating insufficient pressure on Fromm who carved us up after winding his watch and scratching his @ss after the snap. That extra time also made it hard for our DBs to maintain coverage and Georgia made us pay over and over again. We didn't sack him and it seemed even when we pressured him he was able to escape with the second level defenders stretched away from the LOS. Groundhog Day.
This one hurts. We were believing. But some of the deficits we've previously gotten away with wound up biting us. Let's look at a few more specifics:

*CBS showed several plays where Fromm had 4+ seconds to scan the field while we were rushing four or five most times. At some point you think Grantham's got to find a way to make him get the ball out quicker, but he never did or at least not effectively. I felt like I was watching my house burn down and all I did was hope the fire truck would eventually get there. I guess I'm now sifting through the ashes.

*The DL and LBs were pretty salty against their run game. I think I heard that Swift was held to 80-something. Unfortunately it didn't seem to matter. They still gained almost 400 total, ran more offensive plays than us, and held the ball longer.

*We aren't DBU. Not anymore, not right now. Lack of pressure on Fromm didn't help us, but we got lost in coverage several times. The most glaring was their last TD, the pass to #15 who was uncovered. As he released and ran the cross, our DB over him (we looked to be in Cover 2) turned to alert the safety. Unfortunately, the safety had bailed, starting to chase a deep receiver (who was covered) already 15-20 past him. A good team will make you pay for these blunders. Also, we had several instances of not finding the ball while in man coverage. Henderson had this happen a couple of times in key situations.

*Their OL was massive (avg. wt. ~320). Although we did well against them against the run, they were pretty solid in pass pro. The difference between their's and ours was frightening.

*Pitts is becoming a great TE. He made some great catch and runs in the first half. But he just vanished in the second. Some credit has to go to UGA for finding him and making sure he was covered.

*I'm not a big fan of the called runs for Trask. If we can't block for our backs who are much faster and more agile than him, we are wasting downs. The element of surprise is gone.

*I was pleased with our sense of urgency later in the game, but it proved to be too little, too late. Per Mullen, we've got to respond early and often. As mentioned, I think we let doubt creep in after turning it over on downs to start the game.

*Effort was not our problem, but execution was. Offensively it pretty much begins and ends with the OL. We're about where we're gonna be until this gets fixed.
:deadhorse:

Try as I might to cover my ear and think of other things, I can't help but hear the whispers of "wait 'til next year." Our top two goals are gone now. We can play to win out against Vandy and Mizzou and hope that by some miracle we get a little help with UGA. But the odds aren't in our favor. We're better served to play to win out, including F$U and a bowl and turn that into some positives with what'll be left of recruiting. This we can still control. Beside all that, we're Gators. As Freddie Swain said after the game "We got some guys with their heads down right now. The loss stings. But we'll come back Monday and work on getting better!"

That's what we do. Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@cover2 - is there any hope with the OL? Its hard to believe the ones that stay will improve that much and if the guys behind them are not taking their spots with play this bad - how likely are they to turn into maulers by next year? I think this is the team’s single biggest issue, followed closely by Grantham as a DC.

Great write up as usual.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2 - is there any hope with the OL? Its hard to believe the ones that stay will improve that much.
There is no hope if we keep running the plays we are running.

But give them your opinion @cover2. What do feel about the scheme we are running with the type of talent we have on the OL and with Trash at QB?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Excellent as always C2. I won;t really add much other than Joe Lee Dunn Jr. still sux A$$ and that is on Cousin Eddie b/c he is the head coach. 2nd Down and 1 inch after they respot Perine's catch and run and what do we do? Turn it over on downs!. I will say one thing C2 and you can do what you will with it. I genuinely saw the UGA offense scheme and actually run combo routes to confuse our idiots in the secondary or even use some motions to create matchups and/or space to create opportunities. I liken it to a more old school, traditional pro style. We on the other hand seldom short motion and usually just line up and if there is a mismatch hopefully we see it. Heck we don;t even have an old fashioned middle screen to the RB in the playbook. That is not a bad play when you can't block a D-line. I guess I am saying that this simple high school offense that we have is only effective when there is exact precision. Against a good D it is not so potent. Watching 4 guys all do 5 yard stop routes constantly and not get open seems a lot like :deadhorse:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2 - is there any hope with the OL? Its hard to believe the ones that stay will improve that much and if the guys behind them are not taking their spots with play this bad - how likely are they to turn into maulers by next year? I think this is the team’s single biggest issue, followed closely by Grantham as a DC.

Great write up as usual.
Thanks Chief. I agree that this is the biggest issue. Law @Swamp Donkey makes a good point about how we try to run it. We run a zone scheme and aren't quick enough or strong enough to be good at it. The Counter works sometimes but the backside guys that pull are often slow as cold syrup. We'd probably be better off running out of the I between the tackles, but I wouldn't mind seeing some jet sweeps from time to time to shake things up, but that part of the game seems to have left when Toney went down. Barring some miracles (to include legit transfers), we're probably still a couple of years away.

As for Grantham, I'm beginning to feel like he's trying to play NFL D with lesser players. I'd like to see him Jap it up a little. Got to do something to help the secondary as well as the front guys and make it hard on opposing QBs. The two best we've played have just eaten us up.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks Chief. I agree that this is the biggest issue. Law @Swamp Donkey makes a good point about how we try to run it. We run a zone scheme and aren't quick enough or strong enough to be good at it. The Counter works sometimes but the backside guys that pull are often slow as cold syrup. We'd probably be better off running out of the I between the tackles, but I wouldn't mind seeing some jet sweeps from time to time to shake things up, but that part of the game seems to have left when Toney went down. Barring some miracles (to include legit transfers), we're probably still a couple of years away.

As for Grantham, I'm beginning to feel like he's trying to play NFL D with lesser players. I'd like to see him Jap it up a little. Got to do something to help the secondary as well as the front guys and make it hard on opposing QBs. The two best we've played have just eaten us up.
At what point is that one Hev? Isn’t his responsibility at some point to step up and say - stop planning these plays, my guys cant consistently execute them? Or better yet - we need to do “x”, its all they can do!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First series on offense we had to take a couple timeouts because we were unprepared and disorganized, then had 3 attempts at a short yardage play to get a 1st down and failed each time. After the dwags took over, we had them 3rd and 12 and let them complete the pass by not getting pressure and playing a deep soft zone. The rest of the game was just lather, rinse, repeat.

The most glaring thing to me isn't that we don't have big enough or fast enough guys. The most glaring thing was the disorganized chaos that I hadn't seen from a Gator team in a while. IMO, if you have a well run program, that stuff doesn't happen and the other stuff will eventually fix itself. Huge step back today in that department. We'd better show up against Mizzou like we know what we're at least supposed to do or we're gonna drop another one.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
As always great write up, I just hope that this one doesn't turn into something you can copy and paste into the aftermath of the UGA game for years to come. I hope I'm wrong but if our recruiting doesn't improve drastically, this may be the sad reality. "Capable but unable"
Capable....but unable. Mick said something along those lines in the wrap-up. I couldn't agree more. We rode into Jax with only one loss, that to SECW heavyweight LSU. We'd found our QB and leader and along with our sterling group of receivers, the passing game was clicking. Bookends Greenard and Zuniga were set to return, rested and healthier. Bring on Fromm! Bring on Swift! This was to be our chance to reclaim the city and turn the series back in our direction. Six point 'dogs? We got this!

But it was not to be. This was not UT or Kentucky or Auburn or South Carolina. This was Georgia, the team that hates us as much as we hate them and they had the tools to get it done. Along with the previously-mentioned positives, there were some negatives that were our undoing:
  • UGA owned third down. Seemed like every time we had an opportunity to force a change of possession, they'd convert. We, on the other hand, couldn't buy one when we had to have it.
  • We were 2/3 on fourth downs, but the one we didn't get, the first attempt on the first drive of the game, seemed to rob us of our mojo. Mullen said in his post-game talk that after that "we failed to respond." He wasn't kidding.
  • We couldn't block. They could. Even though we held their ground game in check for three quarters of the game, we were absolutely unable to run it against them when we had to. Furthermore, we got overpowered and passed by often while pass blocking. Our OL looked like the scout team, but we all knew this was bound to happen. We just hoped it wouldn't.
  • Grantham's scheme looked almost identical to the one employed against LSU, generating insufficient pressure on Fromm who carved us up after winding his watch and scratching his @ss after the snap. That extra time also made it hard for our DBs to maintain coverage and Georgia made us pay over and over again. We didn't sack him and it seemed even when we pressured him he was able to escape with the second level defenders stretched away from the LOS. Groundhog Day.
This one hurts. We were believing. But some of the deficits we've previously gotten away with wound up biting us. Let's look at a few more specifics:

*CBS showed several plays where Fromm had 4+ seconds to scan the field while we were rushing four or five most times. At some point you think Grantham's got to find a way to make him get the ball out quicker, but he never did or at least not effectively. I felt like I was watching my house burn down and all I did was hope the fire truck would eventually get there. I guess I'm now sifting through the ashes.

*The DL and LBs were pretty salty against their run game. I think I heard that Swift was held to 80-something. Unfortunately it didn't seem to matter. They still gained almost 400 total, ran more offensive plays than us, and held the ball longer.

*We aren't DBU. Not anymore, not right now. Lack of pressure on Fromm didn't help us, but we got lost in coverage several times. The most glaring was their last TD, the pass to #15 who was uncovered. As he released and ran the cross, our DB over him (we looked to be in Cover 2) turned to alert the safety. Unfortunately, the safety had bailed, starting to chase a deep receiver (who was covered) already 15-20 past him. A good team will make you pay for these blunders. Also, we had several instances of not finding the ball while in man coverage. Henderson had this happen a couple of times in key situations.

*Their OL was massive (avg. wt. ~320). Although we did well against them against the run, they were pretty solid in pass pro. The difference between their's and ours was frightening.

*Pitts is becoming a great TE. He made some great catch and runs in the first half. But he just vanished in the second. Some credit has to go to UGA for finding him and making sure he was covered.

*I'm not a big fan of the called runs for Trask. If we can't block for our backs who are much faster and more agile than him, we are wasting downs. The element of surprise is gone.

*I was pleased with our sense of urgency later in the game, but it proved to be too little, too late. Per Mullen, we've got to respond early and often. As mentioned, I think we let doubt creep in after turning it over on downs to start the game.

*Effort was not our problem, but execution was. Offensively it pretty much begins and ends with the OL. We're about where we're gonna be until this gets fixed.

Try as I might to cover my ear and think of other things, I can't help but hear the whispers of "wait 'til next year." Our top two goals are gone now. We can play to win out against Vandy and Mizzou and hope that by some miracle we get a little help with UGA. But the odds aren't in our favor. We're better served to play to win out, including F$U and a bowl and turn that into some positives with what'll be left of recruiting. This we can still control. Beside all that, we're Gators. As Freddie Swain said after the game "We got some guys with their heads down right now. The loss stings. But we'll come back Monday and work on getting better!"

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Our offensive and defensive schemes are both good against lesser opponents. Better competition, not.

Damn their OL was big and agile. They picked up most of our blitzes with ease. Often using a 6th lineman, wait is that legal ;) our blitzes up the middle without a stunt or some motion were worthless. The big boys just absorbed it. And we had no ass to back them up.

EJ in to kill a drive, KT called runs, CDM not calling a TO when KT was clearly confused. Plays not getting in, clock management..

A lot of coaching issues to look at here. When a team is not ready to play mentally or doesn’t know what to do, that is normally on coaching. Time for some self reflection. No 3 and outs, no 6 and outs.... nuff said.

it was a long Gator day that we knew was possible...

Time to circle the wagons and get ready for next week,

and recruiting!!!

Go Gators, thanks C2

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Capable but not able....... or able but not capable??????

Hard Headed devotion to a set behavior, no matter how futile, often leads to lack of Growth..... or getting fired.

Go Gators!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The talent gap between us and them was obvious. They way to compensate for that is to be disciplined and use correct fundamentals. Well that hasn't been us all year, and it was certainly costly today. For example, why do our DBs, Wilson in particular, tackle like they practice with their hands in their pockets? Why are we having simple substitution problems 2 months into the season? It's really frustrating. The occasional head-scratching playcalls don't help either.

What stings about this loss the most (besides being outplayed by uga) is not the loss itself, but that we all know that this team is capable of being better. We may not be better than uga, but we certainly could have been better than the crapfest that was on display this afternoon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At what point is that one Hev? Isn’t his responsibility at some point to step up and say - stop planning these plays, my guys cant consistently execute them? Or better yet - we need to do “x”, its all they can do!
Well, Im sure they look good against the scout team and our 1s and 2s.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is no hope if we keep running the plays we are running.

But give them your opinion @cover2. What do feel about the scheme we are running with the type of talent we have on the OL and with Trash at QB?

Say what you want but we are likely a 4 loss team right now with these poor run blockers on the O line if Franks was still the QB.

20 rushing yards is a disgrace.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Thank you C2. We were always chasing UGA. I don't feel the score was really as close as it looks on the scoreboard. They made us one dimensional and Mullen had no answers. There was some really poor playcalling. 4th and 1/2 a foot? Empty backfield? What? Trask is 6 foot whatever...QB sneak. Bring in EJ after Trask drove the field? Total BS. Horrible playcalling. Yeah, the defense had a rough time too. But too many procedure penalties. Too many mental errors after an extra week to practice. I've been very complimentary of Mullen for the most part but his team was unprepared. It's ok to say Mullen **** the bed. Grantham too. Am I mad? Not really. This is who we hired. Mullen is who he is...he's not elite. Don't expect elite results. That is some hard truth. Thanks C2.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Thank you C2. We were always chasing UGA. I don't feel the score was really as close as it looks on the scoreboard. They made us one dimensional and Mullen had no answers. There was some really poor playcalling. 4th and 1/2 a foot? Empty backfield? What? Trask is 6 foot whatever...QB sneak. Bring in EJ after Trask drove the field? Total BS. Horrible playcalling. Yeah, the defense had a rough time too. But too many procedure penalties. Too many mental errors after an extra week to practice. I've been very complimentary of Mullen for the most part but his team was unprepared. It's ok to say Mullen **** the bed. Grantham too. Am I mad? Not really. This is who we hired. Mullen is who he is...he's not elite. Don't expect elite results. That is some hard truth. Thanks C2.

There have been multiple times this year where a QB sneak would have saved a drive. Unfortunately, this play, which has the highest percentage of success out of any situation where you need inches, is NOT in our playbook.

Identity takes precedent over winning. Duh.

We run our QB runs out of the shotgun, NOT under center, so that our sub-par offensive line has to work harder to get a short yardage play to work. It's all ass backwards, as it should be,w any gimmick offense like the one we run.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
We came into the game excited that we had Greenard, Zuniga, and Toney back. Toney lasted 1 play, iirc. Zuniga appeared to get hurt on his one great TFL, and played little afterwards. Greenard looked like he was at 80% or so, which wasn't really enough for this game.

So, on defense, we had about the same guys as we had with LSU, and had the same result on defense: No pressure, No sacks

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator