Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Georgia

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Safeties were sloppy again as Cover said and I would have liked to see more hard runners rather than Davis if we were taking the foot of the gas in the second half. Malik was terrific in the pass game but too easy to bring down off the carry.

YES
&
YES

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2 you nailed it again with "breakfast with the Gators"! Here in Cozumel, I am using a Chromebook and an app called dofustream-ncaaf for my football needs and then cast it to the big screen with a Google Chromecast. There are a lot of popups while you find your game, but a free app must be paid somehow. We are still alive here after 3 tropical storms and 2 hurricanes. Our solid 100% concrete structure has held up well with no repairs needed. We are doing well again with our vacation rental business Cozumel's Newest Boutique Inn | 15 Ave | StingrayVilla.com. Well so much with us and 2020. Greg and Silvia
My pleasure. I’m glad you all are safe after the storm year we’ve had. Having a means to watch our Gators sounds like an added bonus under the circumstances. You guys keep hanging on. We just finished a big storm of sorts here on the mainland ;)

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Man you nailed it.

I fired him and TG early, went on the roller coaster.... but man stomping the dawgs is always great however you get there.
OL was really good until Reese went down, that probably sums it up. Run blocking still meh, but pass blocking the depleted runts was very good.
Trask is definitely a rhythm guy, pulling him to run something else knocks him out of his zone, so does trying to run ball control. Control the scoreboard not the clock
Damn backs catching the ball, hallelujah, but why did we keep trying the WR screens... wheel > screen
Man the pass coverage is still a confused mess, no one seems to know their assignments. Either every player is an idiot, or the coaches can’t. Thank goodness they couldn’t throw and catch because they stopped themselves

A good morning, for some reason my nephews in GA have not returned my texts this morning ;)

have to admit trepidation set in between Mullen going conservative and Grantham......

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great as usual, in today's game your offense must be very good. Ours was and theirs was not. Similar in the big game with Clemson, with their regular QB the mistakes that cost them the game probably would not happen. Our D is only fair, little to no early pressure on the QB, major mistakes in coverage, I don't know if it is coaching, talent, or most likely a combination of them. Win out the regular season and we get at worse a major bowl, win out and the final four is ours.

H20Gator

Sep 27, 2015
View attachment 27644
*I’m glad to see the backs become a bigger part of the throw game. We’ve got three that can catch and run it afterwards. The CBS guys mentioned how Spurrier used to utilize the backs in that manner and that little circle route that Davis ran was very much an SOS staple. Not a bad guy to copy. I’m glad to see us add this wrinkle and hopefully it’ll be more than just a one game thing.
Seeing Davis catching passes out of the backfield brought flashbacks of Robert Gillespie.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seeing Davis catching passes out of the backfield brought flashbacks of Robert Gillespie.
Good comparison. Your post made me think I should have mentioned that Davis might have not only found a niche, but also a way to atone for his fumble against TAMU. Gillespie is still coaching RBs at UNC. Solid guy, I believe. Great Gator, I know!

H20Gator

Sep 27, 2015
Remember last year when the headline said we were undermanned? Yeah, me neither... F'em all!
Nice little dig here. Very Trumpian.
Screen-Shot-2020-11-08-at-1-30-35-AM.png

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Davis could almost be a WR, he has really good hands. He needs to be a permanent part of the passing game moving forward this season.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Davis could almost be a WR, he has really good hands. He needs to be a permanent part of the passing game moving forward this season.

As I mentioned in another thread, not just Davis, but the RB position needed to be a PRIMARY target in the passing game more often, not just as the outlet. Took way too many years for this to occur, but better late than never.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So many years thinking to myself as we watched some of these games "Why are their receivers so big and physical while ours are so small? Why can they go up high and get those jump balls but we can't? Why can they hit back shoulder throws and we can't figure it out? Why can they throw passes downfield to the RB and we never even try? Why do they have 3 great TE while we have none? Why can their RBs deal out punishment and get extra YAC but ours just get blasted backward?"

We are close boys. We need recruiting and some transfers to fill some holes but we are getting there and its fun to watch.

Keep in mind Mullen is 48 years old. Plenty old enough to already have had success, but also have some perspective that at 48 years old Saban was still years away from having national level success. Stay the course.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So many years thinking to myself as we watched some of these games "Why are their receivers so big and physical while ours are so small? Why can they go up high and get those jump balls but we can't? Why can they hit back shoulder throws and we can't figure it out? Why can they throw passes downfield to the RB and we never even try? Why do they have 3 great TE while we have none? Why can their RBs deal out punishment and get extra YAC but ours just get blasted backward?"

We are close boys. We need recruiting and some transfers to fill some holes but we are getting there and its fun to watch.

Keep in mind Mullen is 48 years old. Plenty old enough to already have had success, but also have some perspective that at 48 years old Saban was still years away from having national level success. Stay the course.

I want to believe this, but don;t think we will have have high level enough coaching to get to the top. The recruiting needs to be shored up as I watched the ND-CLEM game I said we do not have ONE defensive player that would start (as currently playing) on either of those teams. So I wondered if it is all talent, all coaching or a bit of both? I have to think that one or two of our defensive players could be improved by a better instructor.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll always love Kirby for thinking Fromm was rhe guy and letting fields go.

I too have mocked Kirby for the QB debacle but the reality is that the decision was not as obvious as it is in hindsight

Although Fromm is clearly less talented than Fields with a much lower ceiling, let’s not forget that Fromm had led Georgia to within an OT touchdown of a national championship as a freshman.

I agree that Fields most likely would have performed well, what would everyone say if he struggled?

What would the fallout be from replacing a QB under those circumstances?

Glad it didn’t work out for them

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great write up, cover2. Agree with a lot of that. As far as the uga injuries talk, I really don’t care who they had out. I don’t recall any asterisk next to their win in 2018 when we had Stewart out and lost Henderson on the first series, and they spent the whole day picking on McWilliams. Nor do they ever get a “yeah but” for 2007 when Tebow couldn’t run due to his shoulder. They’ve got talent everywhere and if they’re not ready, and our guys are, that’s just more of a win.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I too have mocked Kirby for the QB debacle but the reality is that the decision was not as obvious as it is in hindsight

Although Fromm is clearly less talented than Fields with a much lower ceiling, let’s not forget that Fromm had led Georgia to within an OT touchdown of a national championship as a freshman.

I agree that Fields most likely would have performed well, what would everyone say if he struggled?

What would the fallout be from replacing a QB under those circumstances?

Glad it didn’t work out for them
Didn't stop Saban from replacing Hurts with Tua, which in fact occurred in the very NC game you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb