Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Idaho

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Im late again. My excuse was recovering from a high school playoff trip that started at 7:00am and ended at 4:00am the next morning. Great trip though as the Bainbridge Bearcats beat the undefeated Wayne County Yellow Jackets to advance to the third round of the 5A playoffs to take on Buford the Friday after Thanksgiving. The trip, however, left me watching our game in a semi-comatose state. Better Idaho than F$U. the 63-10 outcome was better than we have seen lately against the cupcakes on the schedule, what is always expected but not always produced. The starters did what was needed in a half and should be well-rested for the Nole$ next week who are coming off a win in a physical game against Boston College that went down to the wire. We got to play a lot of the youngsters that included 15 true freshmen, a big benefit of the new redshirt rule.

So, what's the take away? :dunno: Maybe as mentioned we are rested and will be better focused for the first time in a few years for our regular season finale against the rivals from Tallahassee? Maybe the vibe for the players is we have a chance to end the season on several high notes like beating the Nole$ (in their stadium no less), turning the record around from last year, and getting a decent bowl bid? We take care of these items and we've started turning a corner with the program where rebuilding is concerned. Can't help but think that it would have a huge impact on recruiting moving forward and we all know how much headway in that department is required. For many of us, it will or at least should, wash out the awful taste we've been spitting out for a decade. While this year wasn't a championship season that we've yearned for, it has been fun again for me to watch a team that is growing and being better coached than of late and shows some needed potential compared to what we have been fed despite a couple of disappointments along the way. There's still more left to this season, but our expectations should be higher than in several seasons.

*We took care of business against an undermanned opponent. It seems like more often than not we would sleep walk our way through these games, looking ahead maybe to the next opponent. Yesterday didn't seem to be the case and we finally blew out a weak sister, rested the real players, and got the youngsters a chance to play and feel what it was like competing in the Swamp. A win in a lot of areas.

*Franks had a good day going 19/27 for 274 yards passing with 3 TDs. He also rushed for a TD on a nice read option, even if it was against Idaho. And there was no shushing! If I have a criticism it was that he was still inaccurate on some throws, the biggest being overthrowing a wide open Jefferson with a deep ball. This just seems to be a throw he can't make since the "Heave to Cleve" with any reliability. There were a couple of the usual behind the receiver tosses and some completions even that weren't in stride. But enough rain, he was not intercepted and did what was needed. A step beyond next week would be great.

*Jones showed promise. His passing was pretty good, maybe a little better than expected. One such that stood out to me was the roll left where he stopped and set his feet before throwing a nice strike to the sideline. He's a work in progress, but showed some good signs (nice accuracy on the long one that was dropped for example). Mullen said in the post game that he knew he was an athlete. Now to see how far you can take him at the position.

*600 yards of offense with the kids playing the second half was respectable. 399 passing and 201 rushing with one lost fumble was what should happen in these games (save the turnover of course). Pierce led us in rushing with 77 yards on 13 carries. More experience for him, but a lot of rest for Scarlett and Perine. Hammond had a big day with two TDs. Lewis led in receiving yards with 57 on three catches. Toney had six receptions and a couple of runs in a half or so. Whatwe want from him.

*Chauncey's interception on the game's first play was a tone setter and a great individual play, covering seven yards of separation to pick the pass that was a little behind the receiver. Ventrell Miller's 82 yard interception return was an obvious big play. Joseph had a big hit and Polite and Moon had sacks, pressures, and hurrys that were notable. Again, a lot of youngsters got to get on the field in the Swamp. Not much to complain about.

*Crowd listed was 81,000+ which was pretty good for the opponent that Pat tried to convince everyone that they were worth coming to see, ceremonial sacrifice or other. The big thing was a grand send off for the seniors. Even though some might say they were part of a group that were under coached and under performed, they are Gators and I hope it means a lot to them as they move forward in life, particularly for those who graduate with a degree from our beloved university.

Next up...the accursed Seminole$ from that bastion of lawlessness and political malfeasance. They're high after a win; we're high after two in a row. We cruised yesterday and they struggled until Daz decided not to go for the throat late (4th and short which they had been doing previously) and then promptly gave up a big play to lose ingloriously. We shall see which trumps which. I'm thinking that as Feleipe goes, maybe so go we? Of course there are other intangibles, but if he can somehow keep his head for once against them and we are able to run it, and the D comes to play and keeps Frenchy on the run, the good guys will come out on top. Franks just can't lose it. Play with composure and keep the mistakes to a minimum. That's all I ask. No doubt, F$U will bring their best for us, whatever that may be, but if we bring ours we will prevail. Any year, any record, this is always a game worth watching. Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Definitely saw some encouraging signs of progress from EJ. Hoping our Gators show up with a ton of intensity in tally.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great analysis as usual, now go with a great plan and send the noles packing.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
An overall Saturday where we could enjoy and get prepared for the SEMIS. The main take away for me is the youth that was on that field yesterday. Future looks very promising especially for EJ. If Mullen worked some magic on FF just imagine what can be done coaching a talent like Jones. Good as always Cover.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Run the ball mostly, pressure their QB effectively and Mullen don't out trick yourself in play calling. This is another game where Franks needs to manage the game toward his play makers instead of giving us his zombie rendition or brick heaving clinic. You ease the disappointment of the butt sniffer game with a WIN over semenholes. Go Gators!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Im late again. My excuse was recovering from a high school playoff trip that started at 7:00am and ended at 4:00am the next morning. Great trip though as the Bainbridge Bearcats beat the undefeated Wayne County Yellow Jackets to advance to the third round of the 5A playoffs to take on Buford the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Are you coming up to Buford?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are you coming up to Buford?
I'll be there. Leaving sometime Friday morning with the team. If you're at the game, would love to meet you and visit a bit.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be there. Leaving sometime Friday morning with the team. If you're at the game, would love to meet you and visit a bit.
I live about 5 minutes away.

This will be a huge night for Gwinnett County teams. You could field a DI team from these schools.

Bainebridge @ Buford
Colquitt County @ N Gwinn
Lowndes @ Grayson
Coffee County @ Lanier
Tift County @ Archer
Voldosta @ Dacula

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Run the ball mostly, pressure their QB effectively and Mullen don't out trick yourself in play calling. This is another game where Franks needs to manage the game toward his play makers instead of giving us his zombie rendition or brick heaving clinic. You ease the disappointment of the butt sniffer game with a WIN over semenholes. Go Gators!

I think maybe DM was:

1. Giving his QBs some passing practice,
AND...
2. Resting Scarlett and Perine for a heavier workload vs the nole$.

Just a guess though.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think maybe DM was:

AND...

Just a guess though.

Yeah, I agree for the Idaho mindset... my take was more soothsaying our 'Nole game plan in the Idaho thread :lol3:. Franks did a hero for LSU, was spanked by the dawgs and here comes his last 'muscle' team to secure some season glory. I'm rooting for Franks to take 2 out of his big 3... wouldn't be shabby at all. As for Mullen, I'm ribbing the head play caller not to get too cute, unless of course we're blowing them out, then it's let's have some fun time. I think we have enough standard game if we show up with better maturity and wisdom. And of course my favorite unit, the D... what can I say, there is that tendency this season to keep hitting the snooze button until the second half. I think we can help Franks and send the 25K bent arm whore chanters home much earlier and secure the Mo if they get to business fast. Gosh I hope so, nothing worse than engaging my 'nole friends, especially since this is one of their worse teams in a while.
Go Gators!

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Im late again. My excuse was recovering from a high school playoff trip that started at 7:00am and ended at 4:00am the next morning. Great trip though as the Bainbridge Bearcats beat the undefeated Wayne County Yellow Jackets to advance to the third round of the 5A playoffs to take on Buford the Friday after Thanksgiving. The trip, however, left me watching our game in a semi-comatose state. Better Idaho than F$U. the 63-10 outcome was better than we have seen lately against the cupcakes on the schedule, what is always expected but not always produced. The starters did what was needed in a half and should be well-rested for the Nole$ next week who are coming off a win in a physical game against Boston College that went down to the wire. We got to play a lot of the youngsters that included 15 true freshmen, a big benefit of the new redshirt rule.

So, what's the take away? :dunno: Maybe as mentioned we are rested and will be better focused for the first time in a few years for our regular season finale against the rivals from Tallahassee? Maybe the vibe for the players is we have a chance to end the season on several high notes like beating the Nole$ (in their stadium no less), turning the record around from last year, and getting a decent bowl bid? We take care of these items and we've started turning a corner with the program where rebuilding is concerned. Can't help but think that it would have a huge impact on recruiting moving forward and we all know how much headway in that department is required. For many of us, it will or at least should, wash out the awful taste we've been spitting out for a decade. While this year wasn't a championship season that we've yearned for, it has been fun again for me to watch a team that is growing and being better coached than of late and shows some needed potential compared to what we have been fed despite a couple of disappointments along the way. There's still more left to this season, but our expectations should be higher than in several seasons.

*We took care of business against an undermanned opponent. It seems like more often than not we would sleep walk our way through these games, looking ahead maybe to the next opponent. Yesterday didn't seem to be the case and we finally blew out a weak sister, rested the real players, and got the youngsters a chance to play and feel what it was like competing in the Swamp. A win in a lot of areas.

*Franks had a good day going 19/27 for 274 yards passing with 3 TDs. He also rushed for a TD on a nice read option, even if it was against Idaho. And there was no shushing! If I have a criticism it was that he was still inaccurate on some throws, the biggest being overthrowing a wide open Jefferson with a deep ball. This just seems to be a throw he can't make since the "Heave to Cleve" with any reliability. There were a couple of the usual behind the receiver tosses and some completions even that weren't in stride. But enough rain, he was not intercepted and did what was needed. A step beyond next week would be great.

*Jones showed promise. His passing was pretty good, maybe a little better than expected. One such that stood out to me was the roll left where he stopped and set his feet before throwing a nice strike to the sideline. He's a work in progress, but showed some good signs (nice accuracy on the long one that was dropped for example). Mullen said in the post game that he knew he was an athlete. Now to see how far you can take him at the position.

*600 yards of offense with the kids playing the second half was respectable. 399 passing and 201 rushing with one lost fumble was what should happen in these games (save the turnover of course). Pierce led us in rushing with 77 yards on 13 carries. More experience for him, but a lot of rest for Scarlett and Perine. Hammond had a big day with two TDs. Lewis led in receiving yards with 57 on three catches. Toney had six receptions and a couple of runs in a half or so. Whatwe want from him.

*Chauncey's interception on the game's first play was a tone setter and a great individual play, covering seven yards of separation to pick the pass that was a little behind the receiver. Ventrell Miller's 82 yard interception return was an obvious big play. Joseph had a big hit and Polite and Moon had sacks, pressures, and hurrys that were notable. Again, a lot of youngsters got to get on the field in the Swamp. Not much to complain about.

*Crowd listed was 81,000+ which was pretty good for the opponent that Pat tried to convince everyone that they were worth coming to see, ceremonial sacrifice or other. The big thing was a grand send off for the seniors. Even though some might say they were part of a group that were under coached and under performed, they are Gators and I hope it means a lot to them as they move forward in life, particularly for those who graduate with a degree from our beloved university.

Next up...the accursed Seminole$ from that bastion of lawlessness and political malfeasance. They're high after a win; we're high after two in a row. We cruised yesterday and they struggled until Daz decided not to go for the throat late (4th and short which they had been doing previously) and then promptly gave up a big play to lose ingloriously. We shall see which trumps which. I'm thinking that as Feleipe goes, maybe so go we? Of course there are other intangibles, but if he can somehow keep his head for once against them and we are able to run it, and the D comes to play and keeps Frenchy on the run, the good guys will come out on top. Franks just can't lose it. Play with composure and keep the mistakes to a minimum. That's all I ask. No doubt, F$U will bring their best for us, whatever that may be, but if we bring ours we will prevail. Any year, any record, this is always a game worth watching. Go Gators!

Franks passed alot against Idaho. Did u see that as an attempt by Mullen to give Franks confidence he can throw something other than a wide receiver screen effectively? FSU has atheletes on defense. They will stack the box to prevent the run and force Franks arm to beat them. Maybe Idaho was Frank's rehearsal for FSU's scheme.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks passed alot against Idaho. Did u see that as an attempt by Mullen to give Franks confidence he can throw something other than a wide receiver screen effectively? FSU has atheletes on defense. They will stack the box to prevent the run and force Franks arm to beat them. Maybe Idaho was Frank's rehearsal for FSU's scheme.
I think so. Though Mullen's brought him farther than most imagined possible, he's still somewhat fragile. Building his confidence and Fileipe bringing it with him Saturday will be a key. The book on us is make him beat you and as @GatorStud pointed out, he's 1-1 against the two best teams on the schedule (and not real good against Mizzou). He is on a two game uptick, so we'll have to see if he can make it three. They'll bring the best they can round up. We'll have to muster a run to keep the pressure lighter on Franks. That means the OL will probably have one of their better if not best game. I'm optimistic, but cautiously so. Feleipe makes me feel that kinda way.

Last edited:

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016

Thank you cover 2 and good luck in Buford.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I think maybe DM was:

AND...

Just a guess though.

Totally agree with that assessment, and with the need for that approach in what was a classic "tune up" game for a team that needed one. Establishing greater confidence and finesse for FF in the passing game was, and still is, a must. Letting Pierce carry the load while the "co-starters" rested was equally smart/valuable. I must say that after the mid-season funk that befell us during the recent unpleasantness, DM seems to have retaken control of the team's psyche and has pulled things together as well as anyone could. I suppose we will see next Saturday.

We still have a long way to go, but for the first time in a in almost a decade we have the staff and the clarity of purpose to pull ourselves up by our own boot straps and regain our rightful position in the upper echelons of CFB. I truly believe, after being very doubtful at first, that DM will succeed in rebuilding UF into the juggernaut we all believe they can be. This week's game, and the bowl game that follows, are terrific opportunities to build on the progress that has already been made and to reestablish the "Gator Standard" DM has talked about since day one. Go Gators - trounce the Holes!.

Gatorpastor1975

Sep 9, 2018
I'm sick and tired of losing to the Criminals. I want to beat them tomorrow with a huge win. I want to have that huge win that makes commitments decommit from Pieceofpoou. Dan reclaim Ron Zook field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator