Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
A pic form Sat's Gator walk. Notice lizard man in the background, that took some work. IMG_20180908_173222064.jpg

gatorbro1

Sep 10, 2017
A few thoughts. I am grateful l to see Cover 2 back I hope in great health. I don't have a solution for an offensive line that just got one year older not betterand a D Lline that is much worse. Wish we would start Dameon Pierce as he looks much better and enthusiastic even though he is young. Years of mediocre recruiting and poor coaching selections have put us in a deep hole. I don't know how long it will take to recover but I do know that when the money was there we did not spend it on facility improvement and we hired a coach in Will Muschamp that could not bring a staff and spent most of his time learning on the Gator Dime. I'n not sure where Mac Came from but I think it was crazy town. It will take a while but I am older and am hoping for the best. We just don't have the horses yet. Recruiting is the key. If Mullen can recruit, he is my man Go Gators.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
*The entire D was not good. It starts with the DL, who simply got manhandled the majority of the game (when they weren't being held; a lot of no calls IMO). Our LBs aren't good, but they're really not good when the DL can't protect them. Henderson looked like our best cover guy in the secondary and I can't say much bad about Chauncey, but we gave up two TD's that certainly should have been better covered IMO. First one was a young guy that got caught peeking at the QB when he should have been in the receiver's jersey with him. The second I thought the safety had plenty of time to read the route and adjust, but it never happened. Losing Wilson will definitely hurt. Even though they did have a couple of good stops, the entire D better grow up in a hurry.

Just looked at that 2nd half TD and we had a LB trying to cover a KY WR the first 30 yards of that play (about the 1:43 mark)

Joseph gets flattened by that KY RB (right past the 1:30 mark)

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Charleston Southern is garbage and no one should have taken anything from that game. They were a tomato can...fodder.
Actually the story is there. CSU outrushed our unit 222 to 205 with a TOP of 32:02 to 27:58. Hardly a dominating defensive performance over a tomato can.
...it will be obvious after the third year he will never get the job done.
Let’s hope you’re wrong. Changing coaches every three years doesn’t strike me as a plan.
Im not really that adept and comparing on 4-8 season versus another and determining which is the better 4- 8.
You’re shaking my faith, Donk. Who else can we turn to?
UF's last 3 classes 14th, 9th and 18th

UK's last three classes - 28th, 26th and 30th

Help me out here.
1422C331-8F9D-4EED-9ABF-DD74B5A8981A.jpeg

I don't think any scheme changes are as much the issue as poor fundamentals and lack of execution, which we have seen for the last several years from the OL group. The whole zone concept that is employed by many programs these days has the players higher than ever before and relying on lateral movement and engagement while on the move. Throw in three seasons of what has been described as "walk-through" practices and what translates to the field is what we see. I think the base blocking requirements now are maybe foreign to what has been required before, but the lack of execution, attention to details like the inside gap step and keeping an eye on the backside that you refer to, and the overall effort from some of the players has not and is not sufficient to get the job done against a motivated opponent. Another factor, the strength and conditioning aspect has improved, but as with the blocking rules, techniques, and fundamentals are still some seasons behind where they need to be. At least that is what it looks like from the games. This problem didn't just happen overnight and it won't be fixed quickly either, unfortunately. But they still could be better than we've seen!
Don’t confuse me with the facts, Cover.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
His looping delivery is still a huge liability despite his slightly better accuracy and decision making (and neither of those are close to good, just a little better). His delivery lead directly to the final play fumble.

Agreed. I think this is a big reason for his inaccuracy. His release point is different on every throw. Just having a strong arm is not enough. His delivery makes Tebow's look like Dan Marino. You are spot on about the fumble at the end. The replay from behind showed just how far down and back he takes the ball before actually making the throw.

If he doesn't undertake a major shortening of his motion (which can't be done during the season) he will continue to be inconsistent. Most of the criticism directed his way has been related to reading defenses or seeing the field but his elongated throwing motion is a bigger negative in my thinking. It will likely keep him from a completion percentage in the 60% range.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, Franks' delivery had about as much to do with the fumble as the tea in China. It was a Hail Mary. His taking forever to decide when to throw the ball is what effed him.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Lol, Franks' delivery had about as much to do with the fumble as the tea in China. It was a Hail Mary. His taking forever to decide when to throw the ball is what effed him.
The problem with being senile is you can't remember to take your Aricept.

It wasn't anything close to a Hail Mary. It was about a 20 yard go rout to one of the 2 receivers on the right side of the field. Unfortunately to throw anything more than 15 yards, FF always loops his arm below the level of his pecker, which led directly to the strip in this case.

WATCH Kentucky beat Florida with Titanic music

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with being senile is you can't remember to take your Aricept.

It wasn't anything close to a Hail Mary. It was about a 20 yard go rout to one of the 2 receivers on the right side of the field. Unfortunately to throw anything more than 15 yards, FF always loops his arm below the level of his pecker, which led directly to the strip in this case.

WATCH Kentucky beat Florida with Titanic music
The problem with being a phucking idiot is you obviously can't help yourself. 20-yard go. I've heard everything now. The only thing 20 in that play is his body angled up to heave the ball. He's getting ready to launch a 50-yard projectile.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014

Disagree. His motion is such that he extends the ball 3 feet behind him during his windup. It gives the backside rusher a perfect opportunity to reach out for the strip. If he had a tighter, higher, more conventional motion it would be a much tougher play for the defender. Not impossible, just not as easy to knock loose from behind. It's exactly what they criticized about Tebow's motion. Only I think Franks is even more elongated.

As to whether he was throwing a Hail Mary, I would defer to your judgement on that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree. His motion is such that he extends the ball 3 feet behind him during his windup. It gives the backside rusher a perfect opportunity to reach out for the strip. If he had a tighter, higher, more conventional motion it would be a much tougher play for the defender. Not impossible, just not as easy to knock loose from behind. It's exactly what they criticized about Tebow's motion. Only I think Franks is even more elongated.

As to whether he was throwing a Hail Mary, I would defer to your judgement on that.
'65, it's not unusual to have the ball stripped on a last-second heave like that. Your body is angled up to give the ball more height and you're waiting for your receivers to get downfield. I've been critical of Franks' elongated delivery for two seasons.

This is one instance where it was gonna be a long delivery no matter what. My comment is i think a he waited TOO long to launch it.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
'65, it's not unusual to have the ball stripped on a last-second heave like that. Your body is angled up to give the ball more height and you're waiting for your receivers to get downfield. I've been critical of Franks' elongated delivery for two seasons.

This is one instance where it was gonna be a long delivery no matter what. My comment is i think a he waited TOO long to launch it.

Point taken. Clearly, he's not changing his motion in mid-season. His current motion will likely continue to lead to inconsistency. Some games where he's on target....some where he scatters throws everywhere.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Point taken. Clearly, he's not changing his motion in mid-season. His current motion will likely continue to lead to inconsistency. Some games where he's on target....some where he scatters throws everywhere.
It's a shame because he's got a great natural arm. We've all seen him countless times wind up like a rightfielder to get the ball out into the flats. The NFL wants you to get it there quick, compact and early. Franks is none of those.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The problem with being a phucking idiot is you obviously can't help yourself. 20-yard go. I've heard everything now. The only thing 20 in that play is his body angled up to heave the ball. He's getting ready to launch a 50-yard projectile.
Don't get frustrated, it's not good for your feeble old mind. Dazed and Confused and all you know.

It wasn't a Hail Mary. There's a thread about that if you want to learn what one is. He didn't wait too long to throw it considering the primary receiver was only about 20 yards past the LOS when he was releasing it. He brings his arm down too low on that pass and every pass and in this case it led to him getting stripped.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't get frustrated, it's not good for your feeble old mind. Dazed and Confused and all you know.

It wasn't a Hail Mary. There's a thread about that if you want to learn what one is. He didn't wait too long to throw it considering the primary receiver was only about 20 yards past the LOS when he was releasing it. He brings his arm down too low on that pass and every pass and in this case it led to him getting stripped.
Dude, a Hail Mary is a long, desperation pass in the waning moments of a game. Period. Any other parameters added are simply your imagination.

The receivers were 30 yards downfield before he even began his throwing motion. And you said 20-yard go in your initial post. That's as ridiculous as it is hilarious.

Not only do you not know what a Hail Mary is, you can't even count.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Dude, a Hail Mary is a long, desperation pass in the waning moments of a game. Period. Any other parameters added are simply your imagination.

The receivers were 30 yards downfield before he even began his throwing motion. And you said 20-yard go in your initial post. That's as ridiculous as it is hilarious.

Not only do you not know what a Hail Mary is, you can't even count.
I can count on you being a dik:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator