Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Holy cow! Can you believe it?! This was certainly one for the books and seemed to have a little bit of everything. More twists and turns and rises and falls than the Pacific Coast Highway. I can't remember alternately cursing and thanking the good Lord as much as I did tonight. I must admit to having a few cold ones at the Mexican joint with my wife and daughter prior to the game, anticipating the need for what I knew would be a tough one in Lexington. Little did I know that tequila would have been a better choice.

There was a point that a second consecutive loss to the Cats looked almost inevitable. We were getting our sh!t pushed in on both lines of scrimmage, we weren't tackling well, the secondary couldn't cover a (prostitute) with a bedsheet, etc. Then Frank's went down on a failed 4th down play and Trask trotted out with the 'ones' on the next series (somewhere, maybe in a cheap motel in Tiajuana, Law was breaking the seal on a jug of the best local hootch; a gallon of Zima would not even start to take the edge off of what he was feeling). In the back of my mind, I could hear Bill Murray saying something about a "Cinderella Story." Could it be? Nah...well, maybe, but...and then I'll be damned if it wasn't!

This is one of those once a generation type games. The Danny to Doering game against these same Kentucky Wildcats comes to mind. Now the question becomes can we use this as a catalyst to shore up our deficiencies, mature and get better faster, and actually be a factor in the top of the conference question? The emotion of the moment answer would be a resounding "hell yeah," but the sober and analytical answer would be to pump the breaks and realize that until our many problems are corrected, we'll have a very difficult time against the better teams and little to no chance against the best. Sorry if it seems like I can't enjoy a win. I'm really happy, ecstatic really, that we pulled it out and one thing we have shown, a "never say die" spirit (which is extremely valuable), emerged. But looking at it from a coaching point of view, we have deficiencies that will eventually get us if we can't grow out of or correct them. The OL problem is most prominent. So let's look at some particulars (and I'm surely going to talk about the good as well):

*It was tough to see Franks go down with the dislocated ankle that has ended his season. As critical as I've been, I have been impressed by the difference in his attitude last game and in this one that was on display. Lots of energy, but under control. He was resembling a leader. Even more impressive is the loyalty his teammates have for him. I think he's always had the "it" that a coach wants from his QB, but just didn't quite know how to use it and I think it affected him physically as well as mentally, the two being tied together. Wishing him a speedy and complete recovery.

*Trask. What a feel good story. Kid showed a lot of moxie that most thought there was no way he had it. Still, there were some that seemed to know he did. Before we get too carried away, it just one game. But he has now taken that step and taken it successfully. Now he's just got to grow with the role from week to week. Proud for him and proud for the Gators. I'm a fan.

*The OL. We could do a whole article on them alone, but I'll restrict it to some things I watched for. The broken record is that we once again couldn't get a push. With only a few late exceptions, the ground game was a failure. We got overpowered, couldn't maintain our assignments, and were slow to the point of attack too often. To the latter point, our RG was a step slow on a G block and log of the play side LB and instead wound up shoving the backer into our back for an easy stop. On another, our LT never got within three yards of the DB on a lateral block for a sweep. Two things keep these assignments from being carried out: being too slow or not putting forth the necessary effort. I think consistency in the latter might be an issue along with an overall lack of strength among the personnel. If lack of quality depth is also a factor, the corrections can fall somewhere between harder than hell and impossible. We've got some pretty stout D fronts still in front of us. We should be seeing some improvement by now, but there's not nearly enough thus far. And by the way, it isn't just a TE problem.

*David Reese had a helluva game. He played with a lot of passion and a lot of grit. I think I heard he was upward of 15 stops. Only problem is that there isn't but one of him. Hope he stays healthy. He's the king bolt.

*The secondary was poor overall, not tackling very well nor covering consistently. Marco Wilson got toasted tonight, but there were others who didn't shine either. The fact that we are small doesn't help against the longer, bigger receivers. The interceptions were good and the last one critical, but this bunch has got to get better and more consistent quickly. When we get neutralized up front, lack of experience and skill gets easily exposed. I think Elam is off to a good start, however. I'm sure there's more, but it's hard to see on a night like tonight when a second string guy lights you up a bit.

*Our receivers are pretty damn good. And there's a bunch of them. Freddy Swain made some great catches to go along with Jefferson, Grimes, Hammond, and others. And how about Pitts? Now if he can just block a little.

*I'd still like to see Perine run behind his pads a little more. He's going to have to until something changes with the OL.

*I thought us failing on the 4th down play (and losing Franks) might have been the game's biggest play, but it turns out that Stoops' decision to try the same took that honor. His D had been killing us, why risk giving us some juice (and throwing their's away)?

*McPherson had a rare miss, but thankfully we were able to overcome it. Not sure if the Kentucky kicker will be able to easily get over his push. One of the game's vagaries.

We were very fortunate tonight and as mentioned before, it ought to give us some fire, especially as we come back home for a date with the Vols. It should also serve as yet another reminder that we are not a whole team, far from it in fact. The "never say die" spirit might win us a couple more down the way, but by itself, LSU, UGA, and AU will beat us. Maybe even UT and Mizzou. We have simply got to have more consistent play top to bottom and find a way to be stronger on the line of scrimmage (we were different on the DL without Zuniga). There's no choice. Mullen's got to find a way.

Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good take as always. This is really going to be a watershed month for Mullenz. If he can coach up this O line and deal with the QB change he will go a long way to prove himself as an offensive coach. If we see more of the same schyt going forward I guess we'll just have what we have. Hopefully its the former but I saw a lot of stuff tonight that makes me fear its the latter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
*The OL. We could do a whole article on them alone, but I'll restrict it to some things I watched for. The broken record is that we once again couldn't get a push. We only a few late exceptions, the ground game was a failure. We got overpowered, couldn't maintain our assignments, and were slow to the point of attack too often.
Many of our plays call for our guys, mostly leftover Butters guys who aren't the most athletically gifted, to make big pulls or reaches. Some of these are big lifts, requiring guys to move at full sprints and angle perfectly to get a smaller lighter play who is also moving laterally no doubt at full speed. At some point dont you think we should go to some more simple straight ahead type blocking? We have some simple power stuff in the playbook. I've seen it at times. This simply isn't the 07 08 type OL with lightweight OL who can do some of those things.

For that matter, when all your real talent is at WR and your OL does at least a decent job in pass blocking, how have we not adapted to more of a pass to set up the run mentality. Is this only clear to me?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trask.
It all comes down to Trask.
(crosses fingers)
Alex.
It really doesn't.

If we force Trash to run options on first and second and put him in 3rd & 8, he will be ineffective too. No one is good at 3rd & 8. Wuerffel missed 40% of his passes.

At some point the coach has to bend philosophy to the reality of the roster. I just haven't seen it in the last 14 years of this guy's playcalling.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems to me with 3 good receivers and a decent TE you should be able to consistently throw behind the D if they play up and get decent yardage underneath if they play off, especially with a QB that can get the ball out quickly.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It really doesn't.

If we run out there with him, run options on first and second and put him in third and eight, he will be ineffective too. No one is good at 3&8. Wuerffel missed 40% of his passes.

At some point the coach has to bend philosophy to the reality of the roster. I just haven't seen it in the last 14 years of this guy's playcalling.
Didn't we make a big adjustment in 06 by installing a fullback instead of asking CL to try to run this offense?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks, cover! Always appreciate your post game thoughts.

I know DM wants a dual threat QB, but I wonder if a focus on Trask's passing will open up the running game for our RBs?

It was a roller coaster of emotions and I'm still surprised we got the win. Go Gators!!!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Many of our plays call for our guys, mostly leftover Butters guys who aren't the most athletically gifted, to make big pulls or reaches. Some of these are big lifts, requiring guys to move at full sprints and angle perfectly to get a smaller lighter play who is also moving laterally no doubt at full speed. At some point dont you think we should go to some more simple straight ahead type blocking? We have some simple power stuff in the playbook. I've seen it at times. This simply isn't the 07 08 type OL with lightweight OL who can do some of those things.

For that matter, when all your real talent is at WR and your OL does at least a decent job in pass blocking, how have we not adapted to more of a pass to set up the run mentality. Is this only clear to me?
Agree with all points, Counselor. We are painfully slow up front (and not real strong to boot). I think I've heard you call for a FB. I think that would be in order. As to the pass to set up the run, it looked sorta like we did that with Trask to an extent. More please.

BTW good to see you back!

Politigator

L-boy's Cousin
BANNED
Oct 5, 2018
Night and day. I hope the Trask we saw is representative of what we see in the future. I'm wondering if the KY coaching staff schemed around Franks and his slow release and limited decision making ability, and Trask comes in with a lightning release and the ability to make quick decisions and it's a different ballgame. Time will tell if other D Coordinators start to spot Trask weaknesses and exploit them. How will he respond to various blitzes? The KY defense seemed to be giving UF receivers a lot of space. How will he respond to tighter coverage? He does have a tendency to force some throws, but that quite often can be coached with experience. Being unable to read the field, see your surrounds and make sound decisions doesn't seems like it comes quickly (Franks / driskel).

I hate to see Franks go down that way, but I have to admit I was beginning to feel like the donkster. Now I am actually looking forward to watching future games.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trask.

It all comes down to Trask.

(crosses fingers)

Alex.
He's our Earl Morrall.
earl-morrall-of-the-new-york-giants-warms-up-prior-to-the-start-of-an-picture-id884163816

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Seems to me with 3 good receivers and a decent TE you should be able to consistently throw behind the D if they play up and get decent yardage underneath if they play off, especially with a QB that can get the ball out quickly.
Thought I saw some of that when Trask was in.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Proud of you for being up this late, Cover. :grin: Good stuff.

Up until Franks went down we played like hot garbage in almost all phases of the game. Coaching, o-line, d-line, coaching, DBs, QB, RB, coaching and even kicking sucked out loud. We are softer this year than last. And you are so right about how slow and lumbering our o-line is. I'm not going to belabor the points you've already made other than to say that we will get killed by some teams, not even good teams, if we put any of that crap on the field again.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Dan kept the jet sweep in his pocket right up until the last 3rd down. Well played, but we can’t rely on good luck and winning the lottery on a good one time call. We need consistency. Kyle and the receiving corps look to be the only place we’ll find it. Pass protect has been decent in OL. Only gave up two sacks I think. We are one dimensional in the extreme right now so dan has to figure out how to work it if he can. Four or five losses still a distinct possibility.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
UF offense thru 3 quarters: 216 total yards.

UF offense in fourth quarter: 222 total yards

As they say in China, “Ho Ree Fuk!”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't we make a big adjustment in 06 by installing a fullback instead of asking CL to try to run this offense?
And still struggled to score in SEC games.
If we had used the WRs and Leak's arm, like we did against OSU, the games would have mostly been over by halftime.

At that point we had the most talent ever assembled on the roster (Bammer wasnt rolling yet). Maybe 60-65 bluechippers and excellent WRs, who we wasted while struggling to score 20ish points in SEC games.

I was surprised to see Chimp trying to be aggressive on offense today, so maybe there is some hope for Dopey Dan too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thought I saw some of that when Trask was in.
You did. It remains to be seen if that was just "4th Qtr Dan" (he let Franks throw downfield vs scUM too in the 4th) or "new playbook for Trash Dan".

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

This really is the question moving forward. Trask is even a worse fit for CDM’s offense than FF. Can/will CDM adjust the offense around Trask’s skill set? Knowing how stubborn some HC’s can be, my head says no and figures CDM will try to jam a square peg in a round hole; my heart says I hope he remembers how we did it with Leak in the NC against tOSU. As you say, we have the receivers to be successful throwing it.
On another note, glad you’re back Swonk. Place wasn’t the same without you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator