Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Yeah.

Or Treon (remember when he scored on his first four or five drives and threw those long seam route TDs repeatedly?)

Or Franks. You people were dancing when he was named started.

There is actually a very long list of second string QBs you worshipped until they actually got in the game.
Don’t lump me in with “you people” just because you came back in full PMS mode from your sabbatical. Eat some ice cream, watch a romcom, cry some tears, then man the f back up.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Don’t lump me in with “you people” just because you came back in full PMS mode from your sabbatical. Eat some ice cream, watch a romcom, cry some tears, then man the f back up.

Trask may be a complete flop going forward but he did prove the donk wrong yesterday and that really hurts. If Trask can be successful, I am not sure what happens to the donk. Pure overload for sure.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Trask may be a complete flop going forward but he did prove the donk wrong yesterday and that really hurts. If Trask can be successful, I am not sure what happens to the donk. Pure overload for sure.
His stupidity regarding transfer QBs is on full display too. Oklahoma, OSU, and Washington sure seem to be enjoying their transfer QBs right now.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Good summary by Cover as usual. Points well made about the OL and our lack of physical ability to get to second level defenders like LBs and DBs. Trask appears to read the defenses better than Franks and his decision making is much quicker, which with our OL may keep him upright. His up tempo approach and quick release reminded me somewhat of how Joe Burrow is playing. Not sure that will last but it is a nice change of pace for our offense and the OL seemed to respond. Our WR's are our obvious strength and like LSU we have to make them the centerpiece of the game plan. As others have said here maybe an up tempo passing game can open up opportunities for our running game.
Still issues in the secondary, and now the D line pass rush looks shaky. However UK's strength is their OL, so we may just be coming back to reality.
But it is the SEC and a tough road win is a bonus. With all the adversity the team faced last night, it has to help us down the line.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
but everything seemed to run smoother once Trask entered the game.

So was it a coaching mistake that DM gave too little playing time to Trask in the previous 2 games?
UK was the best team we've played and Trask was our worthy QB last night. Was he not worthy of more playing time the first 2 games.

So did Trask require the heavy passing lean or did the game situation require it?
Was DM running all those practices not latching on to the play scheming these guys could execute for best scoring marches?

Now there has arisen a valid belief that we may lose 3,(4,5) games? Is this "The Year of Our Confusion". Or will DM meld with Trask via total focus on a play-style better suited for the vast array of (misused?) talents we have? (Misused = not finding among Solomon, Hammond, Copeland one player to run Percy-type plays with?) Can Mullen quickly reach what's more likely to befuddle opposing defenses? No solid SEC team should be in this bind. "Go restyled Gators."

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I noticed that. He completely went through the entire fake to Perine which is awesome to see.
I mentioned it somewhere, but if you watch that play again, watch it one player at a time. At least half the defense thought Perine or Trask still had the ball. In the end, the plays success only required two decent blocks - both by the tight ends I actually watched it 10-15 times

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well the Donk went on record years ago saying Trask would NEVER see the field, much less play a meaningful snap for the Gators. I assume that assertion also includes a fourth quarter, come from 11 points behind win, in SEC play.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Well the Donk went on record years ago saying Trask would NEVER see the field, much less play a meaningful snap for the Gators. I assume that assertion also includes a fourth quarter, come from 11 points behind win, in SEC play.

The comeback victory wasn't meaningful to Donk, but it was meaningful to just about everyone else.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hammond and Swain dont get enough respect. They are clutch players who come through at clutch times all the time. I dont think it gets mentioned enough so I led with it.

My first impression of this game is that we got lucky that Mark Brooks shat his pants again by going conservative to try and ice the game. After watching the game a 2nd time, being able to not be emotional like I was witnessing the live game, UK O didn't go conservative. Our secondary had a much better 2nd half along with our DL getting just the slightest amount of pressure on the young QB that may or may not have caused some of his throws to be off target. Smith threw some really bad throws in the 2nd half, and that probably has a lot to do with our win as does our D making some stops.

Also on the 2nd watch of the game I focused in on Franks and Trask. Franks had a really good game and his stats prove it. That horrible choice of a throw on the first drive was his biggest, if not only, mistake of the game and we didn't have to pay for it. But even with the very efficient performance, there is something about his game that just doesn't leave you feeling like he had a great game. Trask comes in, has similar stats (albeit, in shorter time span annd with more urgency) but looks way better. In my opinion, the difference is in the playcalling as well as poise. Trask just seems to have an internal clock and pocket awareness that Franks doesn't. Franks dwells on the long ball while Trask hits the intermediate routes quick. I am not smart enough to know if this is due to playcalling or if it is the difference in how they play, but that is what differs between them to me.

Im not a fan of CDM playcalling so far this year. I hate designed QB runs with Franks and Trask. Franks is really not good at finding a hole and going. He is a much better runner when he can have it as an option to run if there is no open receiver versus just tuck and run. Same with Trask. Furthermore, our OL is just not that good at run blocking.

Sure wish we could have seen more of Peirce and Copeland. I love Perine and think he is a baller, but I also think Peirce and Copeland open up our O more for everyone.

Tired of hearing how we got lucky because they missed a FG at the end. They got lucky to even have a chance to kick a FG at the end because our coach made a bonehead decision to go for 2 ... twice. Also ... we missed a 27yd FG. Its part of the game. He missed a FG. It happens and it happened to us from a shorter distance in the same game. Stop with that nonsense.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
re: Davis celebrating. I cant stand it. All our CB's do it. Pass gets dropped or overthrown they stand in the middle of the field and wave their arms like they made they play of the game. Hate it.

3rd and 21 at their 10yd line, Smith hits Wagner (i think) for 24 yards and a first down. There is Davis shaking his finger at UK like they didn't just burn him.

UK kicker misses the FG and Wilson is right there talking trash to the kicker with the ref right by him. Wilson got abused all game and he is going to talk trash to a kicker?

Davis is gifted another interception that allows our O to have great field position to drive for the go ahead score. And he runs around the field like an idiot.

These incidents can't be ignored and it points to them being undisciplined. Yall do realize that their play was also undisciplined in the first half?

They need some stadium steps in their future, imo.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think what is being lost here is that Trask did what he did in an SEC road game. CDM's jet sweep call was a balls out call that he pulled out of his pocket at the right moment like a death blow. SEC road wins are not anything to shake a stick at. Trask had icy composure and Mullen seemed confident of where he was and what he was doing. I think the other thing being lost is Franks is a better runner than Trask. Trask is s drop back guy. The offense is more designed for spread, read option with QB runs designed or otherwise. I think this is Trasks' team now. I'm happy looking forward to see just what he and Mullen will do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.