Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
One key note. If we keep chasing Kyles heisman in lieu of running against these soft coverages, don't expect us to change the gameplan once it maters. Huge concern of mine

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Iranian security detail!

I think the timing of UK's limited success on offense caused a lot more consternation than the overall effort warranted. Coming at the beginning of the game it was "here we go again." In the end they scored twice and one was due to our own fumble. We had 3 takeways and none of them were 'last play of the game' garbage turnovers. I think it all boils down to just lining up in a simpler scheme than trying to call the perfect defense for every play and just confusing everybody. Concentrate on simple assignments executed well, and solid tackling.

We seem to rush the ball ok when we run power. When we have complicated and slow developing runs, someone always screws something up and it goes nowhere.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, when I saw UK's defensive alignment, I thought our running game would gash them for huge gains. It didn't. Can the failure be simply explained?
First, I’d say that for the improvement we’ve seen along the OL in pass pro, we still struggle to get a consistent push. We are better with G scheme blocks by the guards than straight on, chip to the LB. Usually if we get a long run it’s off tackle and not between. We’re not good at giving the back an opportunity to cut off a second level block because we can’t get there. Not to bag, but DeLance is just not very good. Second, and I’m repeating, but I’d rather utilize Malik Davis as a receiver and give more carries to Pierce and maybe Wright. Third, given what we know about our OL capabilities, if we really want to exploit the running game against 8 coverage, Emery Jones is the guy under center with a back to lead is probably the way to go. But I wouldn’t risk what Trask brings anymore than they already do with Jones few plays. It’s quite the conundrum really.

Chizik said UK gained only 46 yards in the second half.
One of my hick memories was running a dust gun pulled by a mule through the pole beans. Quite often the mule, stubborn bastid that he was, would stop in his tracks and refuse to pull the gun. Striping his ass with a heavy switch was what he needed to get moving :)

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great as usual. I do wonder if they really want Trask to win a Heisman or some other awards why we would run at all once the game is in hand. Pass every down there has to be at least one open receiver no matter what defense they might have. I do think that he should go earlier to his check down receivers since I think going later allows the defense to be more ready. Being not so educated I might be totally wrong.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Just to touch on a few things already mentioned.

Cousin Eddie was chewing Joe Lee Dunn Jr.'s ASS for that 3rd and long play in which we rushed Wilson out of control, thus allowing him to easily run for the first down yardage. It was the carbon copy of about 50 plays in the game 2 years ago at BHG when I walked out in the 3rd Quarter b/c I could no longer stomach the stupidity of the staff and Joe Lee Dunn Jr. refusing to just shell the QB. He can't throw for shyt, he wants t be rushed, he wants to be flushed so he can throw on the run or run the ball. Chew ASS first Cousin Eddie then fire his ASS next.

We will see this soft zone the rest of the season and against Bama, if we play them, it could get ugly. Our refusal and inability to run against 3 man lines is embarrassing.

As for our QB being pedestrian, I thought he was barely so so. some of his reads were slow, his pocket presence still is lacking and at times the play calling sucked. The culmination was the drive that resulted in a FG. We had like a 2nd down and 2 yards at the 3 or 4 and instead of running, Cousin Eddie calls double slants to the left side. He motioned Pierce out to the left. At the snap Pierce's defender was still near the LOS. Trash should have flipped it out to Pierce. The 2 WR's had already made their inside moves. It would have been a walk in TD for Pierce and/or the WR's could have begun blocking as the pass would have been behind the LOS. Instead Trash looked to the WR's then looked at Pierce, only to then get sandwiched. Should have been as easy read at the snap.

UK is no dimensional on offense and it should not have taken an entire half to understand how to defend them. They have been the exact same on offense for over 3 years, yet Joe Lee Dunn Jr. can't discern it from watching probably well over 5000 snaps of UK football.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just to touch on a few things already mentioned.

Cousin Eddie was chewing Joe Lee Dunn Jr.'s ASS for that 3rd and long play in which we rushed Wilson out of control, thus allowing him to easily run for the first down yardage. It was the carbon copy of about 50 plays in the game 2 years ago at BHG when I walked out in the 3rd Quarter b/c I could no longer stomach the stupidity of the staff and Joe Lee Dunn Jr. refusing to just shell the QB. He can't throw for shyt, he wants t be rushed, he wants to be flushed so he can throw on the run or run the ball. Chew ASS first Cousin Eddie then fire his ASS next.

We will see this soft zone the rest of the season and against Bama, if we play them, it could get ugly. Our refusal and inability to run against 3 man lines is embarrassing.

As for our QB being pedestrian, I thought he was barely so so. some of his reads were slow, his pocket presence still is lacking and at times the play calling sucked. The culmination was the drive that resulted in a FG. We had like a 2nd down and 2 yards at the 3 or 4 and instead of running, Cousin Eddie calls double slants to the left side. He motioned Pierce out to the left. At the snap Pierce's defender was still near the LOS. Trash should have flipped it out to Pierce. The 2 WR's had already made their inside moves. It would have been a walk in TD for Pierce and/or the WR's could have begun blocking as the pass would have been behind the LOS. Instead Trash looked to the WR's then looked at Pierce, only to then get sandwiched. Should have been as easy read at the snap.

UK is no dimensional on offense and it should not have taken an entire half to understand how to defend them. They have been the exact same on offense for over 3 years, yet Joe Lee Dunn Jr. can't discern it from watching probably well over 5000 snaps of UK football.

Do you think it's cute or funny to call him Trash? :headslap:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Part of this is why I don’t want to see EJ. Trask has how much game experience? He is still a young QB and needs all the game reps he can get. Don’t run him unless he decides to. Use Pierce like a back.....

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Great write up AGAIN.

I doubt Grantham goes anywhere...Mullen has a hard enough time pulling an OG...how the heck will he dump his 7-1 DC?

That said we can pray some NFL team offers him huge $$$ for DC or he gets offered a lower level HC at a smaller college.

If we are counting on Mullen...Santa most likely will pass us by in 2020.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Number 13 for the cats flashed at times and showed potential for a freshmen. On one play he came on a blitz from the boundary then redirected and made the tackle on Grimes for a short gain on a screen I think Delance is really has no business starting . I have no clue why he hasn’t been replaced . Marco actually made A couple plays including a key tackle . Stiner was his usual dreadful self .

I enjoyed seeing Travez make the nice pick. Seeing one our our defensive backs make a play on a catchable ball has been a rarity this season . Thought Houston was good in the second half. I wonder where Miller was. Didn’t see much of him after halftime .

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Do you think it's cute or funny to call him Trash? :headslap:

Combined with Cousin Eddie and Joe Lee Dunn there is nothing particularly amusing about it so I bet he’s going for cute. Reminds me of that reporter who insisted on calling Jim Everett....Chris Everett. Wasn’t as cute in person for the reporter.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I heard the Mullen-Grantham flare up was about mustard vs tomato based BBQ sauces. (TG had some on his mask)
A nice dry mustard base with plenty of chili powder, a bit of cayenne pepper and cumin, in a water/vinegar base is what old-time FL pig meat BBQ is all about. Anybody who likes that sweet, sticky-assed ketchup based crap ain't nuthin' but a tin-horn Yankee. I strongly suspect that the donkey prefers the latter.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
IStupid statements like this is why I usually go right by your posts. Should have went on by here.
I've heard some really stupid, gratuitously negative BS from that poster before, but he really out-did himself on this one. I took him off ignore during a "general amnesty" I decided to enact recently, but that is an easily rectified mistake.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
One key note. If we keep chasing Kyles heisman in lieu of running against these soft coverages, don't expect us to change the gameplan once it maters. Huge concern of mine

If the gameplan is to use a power run game to beat Bama or in any Playoff games that follow after that, then Mullen's officially lost the plot. The strength of our team is through the air and that's both the path to victory against Bama and the way Trask gets the Heisman. Don't overcomplicate things.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Combined with Cousin Eddie and Joe Lee Dunn there is nothing particularly amusing about it so I bet he’s going for cute. Reminds me of that reporter who insisted on calling Jim Everett....Chris Everett. Wasn’t as cute in person for the reporter.
It was Jim Rome. A good rule of thumb is to never listen to either Jim Rome or FireFoley, unless you're also into cutting yourself, starvation diets, and other fun stuff like that.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the gameplan is to use a power run game to beat Bama or in any Playoff games that follow after that, then Mullen's officially lost the plot. The strength of our team is through the air and that's both the path to victory against Bama and the way Trask gets the Heisman. Don't overcomplicate things.

Exactly. All we need to do is run enough to keep them from dropping 8 and rushing 3 all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator