Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Middle screens and draws are good answers to defenses dropping 8. I’m sure CDM knows this (I hope).

As far as our defense goes, it reminds me of when Urban couldn’t get our offense going his first year, so he added a fullback and simplified things, and we beat UGA. We need to focus on stacking against the run and cover man with one high. I know you are going to point out we are getting beat in man, but I think that is from the huge cushion we are giving. Just man up and live by it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I've heard some really stupid, gratuitously negative BS from that poster before, but he really out-did himself on this one. I took him off ignore during a "general amnesty" I decided to enact recently, but that is an easily rectified mistake.
Well, he is having to make up for Law being absent this weekend so he is doubling down.............

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I do think Trask was slow to get the ball to his checkdowns yesterday. Why I'm not sure, it was the least impressive he's looked all season. Hope it was just an anomaly.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
How many points did the D give up? The only TD after a turnover. 46 yards and 2 first down the 2nd half............Ill take it.

Coach...how many players were out for KY?

This was KY.

And game 8...you of all people should demand more.

Players looked lost and out of position...Game 8...Really?

You could coach better and for far less than $2 mil

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Coach...how many player were out for KY?

This was KY.

And game 8...you of all people should demand more.

Players looked lost and out of position...Game 8...Really?

You could coach better and for far less than $2 mil
I look at a game as a whole. We gave up one TD. Held them to nothing the 2nd half. Won by 24. 95% of power teams will be thrilled by that, I remember when we beat UGA in the stat line............But they won. The only stat that matters at the end is the scoreboard. 34-10 works for me........

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great summary as always. Arkansas mostly dropped 8, but in that game the O-line was able to open up running lanes and give Trask time to find the holes in the zone. The O-line yesterday got bullied up front, struggled to get a push, and whiffed in pass protection against a 3 man front.

They looked lethargic all game. Hopefully, Hevesey lights a fire under them and Delance gets replaced. He's been consistently bad all year. Surely the next O-line on the bench can't be worse.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I look at a game as a whole. We gave up one TD. Held them to nothing the 2nd half. Won by 24. 95% of power teams will be thrilled by that, I remember when we beat UGA in the stat line............But they won. The only stat that matters at the end is the scoreboard. 34-10 works for me........

Coach it's not the win...Our D was a mess.

And in the second half KY had more flags than a parade in N. KOREA.

Mullen had a meltdown at Grantham...everyone watching saw it...Its time Coach Todd is shown the door.

Get a dynamic DC maybe an Alumnus or a minority but someone who can coach and recruit.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I do think Trask was slow to get the ball to his checkdowns yesterday. Why I'm not sure, it was the least impressive he's looked all season. Hope it was just an anomaly.

Trask had a 77% completion percentage so not as bad of a day as it would seem. He also had the fewest pass attempts in a game this year.

It looked like to me that Trask was waiting for some of the routes to develop or for receivers to run into the holes in the zones. The problem was the protection would break down too quickly or at least quicker than normal. He expected more time against a 3 man rush, and for that I don't blame him.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Trask had a 77% completion percentage so not as bad of a day as it would seem. He also had the fewest pass attempts in a game this year.

It looked like to me that Trask was waiting for some of the routes to develop or for receivers to run into the holes in the zones. The problem was the protection would break down too quickly or at least quicker than normal. He expected more time against a 3 man rush, and for that I don't blame him.

Well 77% is just a number, my eyes were telling me he was a little slow in his reads. You are correct though, the OL regressed for sure.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
If the gameplan is to use a power run game to beat Bama or in any Playoff games that follow after that, then Mullen's officially lost the plot. The strength of our team is through the air and that's both the path to victory against Bama and the way Trask gets the Heisman. Don't overcomplicate things.

All Im saying is kentucky started off playing regular defense and got torched by trask/ pitts. Once they started playing 3 lineman and 8 deep, we struggled to move the ball through the air. Pretty sure Saban will gameplan better than Kentucky and play soft coverage daring us to run. I agree with you, but we must be able to run against these fronts, at least try to. Air Trask is great, Heisman will be wonderful, we just need to know when to fold um when it counts. Then again, we could continue to run trask up the middle

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only real issue I have was running Trask on a keeper when the game was safely in the bag. That just really seemed like a worthless risk to me.

Sometimes it seems like our Coaches just want to show that they are smarter than everyone else.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Number 13 for the cats flashed at times and showed potential for a freshmen. On one play he came on a blitz from the boundary then redirected and made the tackle on Grimes for a short gain on a screen I think Delance is really has no business starting . I have no clue why he hasn’t been replaced . Marco actually made A couple plays including a key tackle . Stiner was his usual dreadful self .

I enjoyed seeing Travez make the nice pick. Seeing one our our defensive backs make a play on a catchable ball has been a rarity this season . Thought Houston was good in the second half. I wonder where Miller was. Didn’t see much of him after halftime .

#13 is JJ Weaver. He tore his ACL in the game yesterday. Good LB for them. He was talking a little sh*t before the game last week about shutting down Pitts. Hate to see and ACL though:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"Thankyou", Cover. In regards to Cover "thankyou" should be one word = another "summit-sumup".

All DCs should take pride in making a defense like a cobra ready to strike at the snap. Grantham failed 8 games in the season = that encompasses much more than 8 weeks of practice. TG is overseeing all this. He's teaching "absent-mindedness". Nobody is teaching wrap-up tackling? I don't think any of us can watch any other teams so dumbly coached - a high school coach would not allow repeats of this by his sudents of football. {Hell read a Vince Lombardi book.}

I too think Mullen's dallianced gambles with Trask's Heisman chances are not fair. Take extra care of UF's full PR= for positive public notice to capture the dreams of recruits = maxmake UF the dream-school of many. 4 TDs per game may be required for his Heisman, which glides on in-your-face publicity. Besides, our offense needs to be "uncollapsible" against Bama. Love the wins though. And smilingly thankful for Gators Trask-Pitts-Toney-Cover2. Toney's desire for a "beatdown" is viewable in how he revels in any teammate's TD. Go Gators.

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
All Im saying is kentucky started off playing regular defense and got torched by trask/ pitts. Once they started playing 3 lineman and 8 deep, we struggled to move the ball through the air. Pretty sure Saban will gameplan better than Kentucky and play soft coverage daring us to run. I agree with you, but we must be able to run against these fronts, at least try to. Air Trask is great, Heisman will be wonderful, we just need to know when to fold um when it counts. Then again, we could continue to run trask up the middle

It's true that our downfield and intermediate routes weren't as open; but a few other observations: Trask moved to checkdowns to the RBs for most of the 2nd half and they were getting 4-6 yards reliably on first and 2nd down...usually until we got into our half, when Mullen would insist on running the ball...which Kentucky would accurately read and put 4 men on the line and more LBers up close. With the game somewhat in hand by that point and Mullen wanting to work on clock/ball control, he intentionally opted not to get more passing yards/potential TDs.

Another observation: Trask was not trying to throw into tight windows yesterday, especially in the 2nd half. We've seen him really gunsling throughout the season (last week vs Vandy in the first half; a few of his tosses vs UGAy; among others); yesterday was playing it safe. I understand the why; but felt it was the wrong call, given the stakes at this point in the season.

Trask entered the weekend as the Heisman leader...with Jones tossing 5 TDs against a ranked Auburn, he's arguably moved into the lead (even though Trask has more TDs overall).

There is something to be said about not tipping our hat too much before the SEC championship and showing our full abilities; but I'm of the opinion that Mullen needs to make sure Trask gets 300 yards and 4 TDs every game from here on out to ensure he gets the Heisman. That would pay enormous dividends for the program now and in the future.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks as always @cover2 !

During the game I referred to Pitts as a Freak. I don't believe I've ever used that nickname for anyone other than Jevon Kearse, because it shouldn't be thrown around cheaply and only for a Gator. However I think Pitts has earned it based on his size, athleticism, speed (for his size) and production. Just incredible to watch and I know we'll miss him next year.

It was fun to finally see Toney score on the PR. Needed to use him on ST since he got here, don't know what took the coaches so long to figure it out.

Agree that the sideline rumble was long overdue. I hope tg stops with the exotic disguises and just lets his players line up right. I also hope ULL or a similar school goes hard after tg so we can hire Mason as our new DC.

Really hope the Gators are focused this week to secure the East with a thorough curb-stomping of the creamsicles.

Go Gators!!!:chomp:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Coach it's not the win...Our D was a mess.

And in the second half KY had more flags than a parade in N. KOREA.

Mullen had a meltdown at Grantham...everyone watching saw it...Its time Coach Todd is shown the door.

Get a dynamic DC maybe an Alumnus or a minority but someone who can coach and recruit.
Roger that last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.