Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately AR is the most gifted QB we may have ever had, but it looks like he is too hard on any perceived imperfections of himself and we may never see his full potential. Mental issues are the hardest to change and overcome
I’m not buying that yet. Only his 3rd start against a great game plan that was well executed. He’s got work to do and I’m confident that he’ll get better.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My stream here in Mexico did not go into post-game comments. What were the comments, please?
Coz, I listened to WRUF and can’t remember verbatim, but the tone was like he’d lost a loved one, monotone and morose. I’m sure he was flatly embarrassed by his performance in front of the NFL guys, but as a leader he’s got to stand in the breach, rise above the loss and give the fans something to hold on to. That didn’t happen, at least not on the after game broadcast.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I’m not buying that yet. Only his 3rd start against a great game plan that was well executed. He’s got work to do and I’m confident that he’ll get better.
I’m sure his play can be better, but being someone who also can be my worst critic, the head games are difficult to overcome. His play last night didn’t concern me near as much as his demeanor.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Unfortunately AR is the most gifted QB we may have ever had

See I think this is more hope than anything. AR has had a couple of great plays and has "some" physical gifts. But "most gifted QB we may have ever had"? I saw Driskel and Franks make great plays but not consistently. I also saw those "gifted" QBs make some bone-headed plays. And the same for AR.

We anointed him to early. And first round draft pick with so little experience, please!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sigh. This guy is constantly reminding us he's perpetually sitting back in his chair (drink in hand) on a beach in Cozumel. We all hate you, my friend.

Stated a slightly different way, fatty liver in Mexico. I think I'll pass.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It really was a great game by the defense.

They allowed 2 touchdowns and 2 field goals.

The first TD was a 55 yard "catch" where the ball hit the ground.

The second TD UK got the ball on the 6 after a pick and still might have ended with a field goal if it weren't for the bogus roughing.

The first field goal was UK's only real sustained drive, 11 plays for 69 yards.

The third TD was a pick 6 and obviously the defense had nothing to do with it.

The second field goal we turned it over on downs on our own 24.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
See I think this is more hope than anything. AR has had a couple of great plays and has "some" physical gifts. But "most gifted QB we may have ever had"? I saw Driskel and Franks make great plays but not consistently. I also saw those "gifted" QBs make some bone-headed plays. And the same for AR.

We anointed him to early. And first round draft pick with so little experience, please!
I agree with you completely…..I meant most physically gifted and capable.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Unfortunately AR is the most gifted QB we may have ever had, but it looks like he is too hard on any perceived imperfections of himself and we may never see his full potential. Mental issues are the hardest to change and overcome

I thought that award belonged to Bobby Sabelhaus

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And first round draft pick with so little experience, please!
You obviously haven't been seeing the QB's that have been going in the first round lately. Experience doesn't matter much to the NFL anymore.....or any of the pro sports, for that matter.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Quarterbacks are like presidents. They receive too much praise and too much criticism. It's a little early to start comparing AR to Treon Harris and yet his rawness and over-reliance on arm strength were on full display last night against one of the better defenses in the SEC. There's work to be done.

We fought the refs in the first half and ourselves in the second. Scared money looked like fools gold on fourth-and-3 with half a quarter left, esp against THAT defense. Punt the ball and hope to pin them deep against their goalline. It was a Napier's first really bad call as Florida coach.

It's due time to respect what Mark Stoops has accomplished in Lexington. It seems like he makes our life miserable every year. Last night was no exception.
Good to hear from you, 78! Agreed about the Presidents comparison and the Stoops comment. To the latter, he can usually put a good defensive plan together (with the exception of occasional uncovered receivers) and his OC had a decent script and stuck to it. Napier’s 4th and 3 call was probably influenced by the D reeling some in the latter stages and trying to find a spark for an offense that more resembled a limp balloon at that point in the game. Most likely was the difference in a 10 pt loss instead of 7 pts.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I tried to put this in the Coach Napier Thread...it's locked

Form the presser:
Napier took ownership...he threw no one under the bus. When is the last time we have seen that in a UF HC?

AR is still very inexperienced.

He said mistakes and execution were made...starting with the coaching.

Bama played an awful game...Is Saban a bad coach?

It's season 1 after terrible coaching...We're young and lacking depth.

I guess I'll be the Sunshine pumper...We have new facilities, we're recruiting, we're now staffed...and our HC is accountable...I've still got a lot of faith and hope.

We've come along way from a HC in a Darth Vader costume complaining about crowd noise, a couch who faked death threats, or a coach that looked like Ivan the Terrible on the sidelines.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Coz, I listened to WRUF and can’t remember verbatim, but the tone was like he’d lost a loved one, monotone and morose. I’m sure he was flatly embarrassed by his performance in front of the NFL guys, but as a leader he’s got to stand in the breach, rise above the loss and give the fans something to hold on to. That didn’t happen, at least not on the after game broadcast.
It's now up on the UF UAA site

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Coffee with cover was not great this am ;) still in a bad funk.

I was pleased with the D. Still thin, absent Des, but playing with energy and heart. Cox played much better early and my ability to focus waned as the game wore on. KY D still looked stronger and better disciplined. Looking forward to us getting there. TE coverage, brrrr. Dean flexing when he finally makes a tackle and we are down. Enough! The DB’s charging to make a tackles vs holding for a whiff has been an awesome change.

The O, man, not very good blocking, especially on the screens. WR can barely catch let alone block, lols. KY had a sound game plan and offensively we did not adapt. The throws were certainly open early and just a couple connections could have turned the tide. The KO need to be downed because the O is not good enough to overcome a short run back followed by a penalty.

Do we have a kicker?!

Really concerned about the fragility of a psyche that is so misfireable. AR needs to be doing the triggering, not suffering from it.

Penalties? I never like to ref bash, but that low roughing call…..I guess you can tackle QBs now between the navel and the pits?

Hurrig8r

Nov 18, 2017
Great Comments, as always. That being said, let's put this into a broader perspective. I don't want to hear how Mark Stoops has been building his program for 10 years, as stated in one of these message board topics. I don't want to hear how it's a new coaching staff and they need time. Blah Blah Blah! Understand this...They are still Kentucky, and if the ball was round, we may have some inner solace that we kept it close with them for the past several games. But this isn't basketball, its football....Florida Football! There is no, ZERO, excuses for loosing to Kentucky 3 out of the last 4 games. One at home! Let us be real here. I'm reading some praises to the "D"....OK, I get it. At least they are in position to make plays now...At least were not throwing shoes.... Really, is that what we've come to. Vandy-esq expectations. Kentucky, last night, was down to their 3rd string RB. They should have struggled on Offense. So grade to Defense-C, AT BEST. Offensively, a total TURD Show. Sitting next to a 90year old guy claiming that he could probably complete 75% of the throws AR clearly just missed, is numbing to the soul. Why, because he was probably statistically underserving himself. We are boring on Offense and can only underscore that with how totally bad the play selection and clock management is handled in times of urgency. So grade to Offense- C- (Pick six, no passing TD in 2 games...Never mind F)
On a brighter note...I thought The Pride of the Sunshine looked Outstanding. So grade to the band- B (it would be an A+ if they would finish a fight song/cheer at least once before cutting it off. If you don't have time to get in the entire " Jaws, Go Gators" before the next play...wait till the after the next play)
The Crowd...We were top notch again, electric, we did our part. I do however wonder why we announce a sell out, and the same 6k seats sit empty in the North Upper Deck. So grade to the fans- A+ Grade to the ticket office for accuracy in accounting- C-
That is all. It's clearly still "Great to Be a Florida Gator" today, however a tad bit disappointing too.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Great Comments, as always. That being said, let's put this into a broader perspective. I don't want to hear how Mark Stoops has been building his program for 10 years, as stated in one of these message board topics. I don't want to hear how it's a new coaching staff and they need time. Blah Blah Blah! Understand this...They are still Kentucky, and if the ball was round, we may have some inner solace that we kept it close with them for the past several games. But this isn't basketball, its football....Florida Football! There is no, ZERO, excuses for loosing to Kentucky 3 out of the last 4 games. One at home! Let us be real here. I'm reading some praises to the "D"....OK, I get it. At least they are in position to make plays now...At least were not throwing shoes.... Really, is that what we've come to. Vandy-esq expectations. Kentucky, last night, was down to their 3rd string RB. They should have struggled on Offense. So grade to Defense-C, AT BEST. Offensively, a total TURD Show. Sitting next to a 90year old guy claiming that he could probably complete 75% of the throws AR clearly just missed, is numbing to the soul. Why, because he was probably statistically underserving himself. We are boring on Offense and can only underscore that with how totally bad the play selection and clock management is handled in times of urgency. So grade to Offense- C- (Pick six, no passing TD in 2 games...Never mind F)
On a brighter note...I thought The Pride of the Sunshine looked Outstanding. So grade to the band- B (it would be an A+ if they would finish a fight song/cheer at least once before cutting it off. If you don't have time to get in the entire " Jaws, Go Gators" before the next play...wait till the after the next play)
The Crowd...We were top notch again, electric, we did our part. I do however wonder why we announce a sell out, and the same 6k seats sit empty in the North Upper Deck. So grade to the fans- A+ Grade to the ticket office for accuracy in accounting- C-
That is all. It's clearly still "Great to Be a Florida Gator" today, however a tad bit disappointing too.
I give this terrible post a D.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I tried to put this in the Coach Napier Thread...it's locked

Form the presser:
Napier took ownership...he threw no one under the bus. When is the last time we have seen that in a UF HC?

AR is still very inexperienced.

He said mistakes and execution were made...starting with the coaching.

Bama played an awful game...Is Saban a bad coach?

It's season 1 after terrible coaching...We're young and lacking depth.

I guess I'll be the Sunshine pumper...We have new facilities, we're recruiting, we're now staffed...and our HC is accountable...I've still got a lot of faith and hope.

We've come along way from a HC in a Darth Vader costume complaining about crowd noise, a couch who faked death threats, or a coach that looked like Ivan the Terrible on the sidelines.
All fair points, but in game decision making has very little to do with the points you bring up. It is either simple math, risks vs. reward, or a difference of opinion.

The only thing I would say about your points is to politely remove the line about Satan and his team looking awful. They did. But when a guy who supplanted the greatest college coach in college football history and is now the greatest college coach in college football history at the exact same University as the previous greatest college football coach, and if I rooted for that team currently, I would give him a little more rope. When a guy has to buy plastic hands and foam fingers just to store all the rings he has won, he gets a little more leeway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.