Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's too early to make any conclusions on the long-term outlook of Napier's offense and you damn well know it.

The ghouls in the chat box last night (who of course were dead silent after the Utah game) who came out suddenly at the end of the game to trash this coaching staff were pathetic. This staff has already done more for the program than the last 3 combined, and beat a top ranked team in their first game ever. These miserable guys, who hated the hire from day 1, were just waiting for that first loss so they could pounce. They are insufferable, and almost seem to be pulling for Gator losses these days just so they can rant.
Names?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don’t mean to pile on here, but someone mentioned us having a major support staff now and the role it would play this week in shaking off any overconfidence or hangover from week 1. Well, that didn’t happen and this was as flat a performance offensively as I’ve ever seen. So that creates two problems. One, the obvious, they didn’t do a large part of their job. But also, I actually heard two students talking about the money, facilities and extras the football team gets in lieu of that money going to other programs, and “they still suck”, as these girls said. I get that these are just random college students speaking nonsense, but if you don’t think that this administration is waiting to see the fruitage of these investments, and will pull the plug on them accordingly, you’re mistaken. In this current “it’s not fair” climate, and the pull that students have right now, we either see direct correlation between the millions of dollars being spent on football(macro) and winning, or they will absolutely redirect those funds to the garbage they prioritized before. It’s that simple.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Donkey sent me an email with his thoughts after reading my opinion that it was too early to draw any conclusions about the offense. He has no interest in returning, so please just let it go in advance.

Swamp Donkey:
It is too damn early. I'm actually kind of impressed that he threw some which he had to do bc UK was going +1 or +2 in the box to stop the run (so 8 in the box sometimes when we had 6 or 7).

AR15 has been a guy who did well vs zone defense but not last night. A good part of this is on the receivers just being unable to shake free or find the gaps.

In reality we are far more talented than the teams we just played but we still have huge holes. Our WRs are slow, run terrible routes, but block well. (Yay Douchebag Dan!!!) Our TEs are basically nonexistent.

So UK putting a spy sometimes one on each side hawking AR made sense. You know he can run so let's see if he can pass his way out of it. He couldn't. Yesterday. And everyone else will do it until he proves he can.

The defense is similarly handicapped. Yes we have more talent but we have almost no size up front and have basically one LB (Ventrell) and a bunch of projects who were either edge blitzers or safeties we tried to convert. It didn't work. In the first half, UK punished our LBs with medium passes until we dropped them back and then they ran at our undersized DL. Pick your poison.

As for DC Toney, I still believe he is elite. I think there are already a bunch of positives.

We see Shemar James on the field a lot. With Miller hurt we will see him more. Yesterday Chris McClellan played on DL (actually at right DE) and was an absolute beast. I didn't even notice the swap until I thought who the hell collapsed that entire side of the line by himself and saw the number on rewind.

This trend of true freshmen moving senior players aside will continue. We have nice options to replace our trouble pieces, Dean, Burney, even Ventrell (great player just limited speed and coverage abilities). Even Cox looked better as he lost time to others (mostly Antwaun Powell) when he needed to be reminded to stay in his hole and do his job. In game one, Cox was about twice as likely to fuchs up completely as to make a big play. Utah ran right at him for a reason.

Coach Slingblade deserves patience. Two of our best players are OCyrus Torrence and Montrell Johnson, two star players now excelling in the SEC. Let the man develop talent.

We don't really have freshmen who can fix WR and TE though.

When we started this season, I said I don't care much about record, and I just want to see improvement and elite recruiting. So far that is still within reach.

I hope no one mistakenly thought this roster was a championship team. Im not sure why we would be surprised at a few hiccups.

Tinerc doesn't look much better for us. They can score quickly. We cannot. It isn't a great matchup for us. Kintucky should have been a good matchup, unfortunately.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Donkey sent me an email with his thoughts after reading my opinion that it was too early to draw any conclusions about the offense. He has no interest in returning, so please just let it go in advance.

Swamp Donkey:
It is too damn early. I'm actually kind of impressed that he threw some which he had to do bc UK was going +1 or +2 in the box to stop the run (so 8 in the box sometimes when we had 6 or 7).

AR15 has been a guy who did well vs zone defense but not last night. A good part of this is on the receivers just being unable to shake free or find the gaps.

In reality we are far more talented than the teams we just played but we still have huge holes. Our WRs are slow, run terrible routes, but block well. (Yay Douchebag Dan!!!) Our TEs are basically nonexistent.

So UK putting a spy sometimes one on each side hawking AR made sense. You know he can run so let's see if he can pass his way out of it. He couldn't. Yesterday. And everyone else will do it until he proves he can.

The defense is similarly handicapped. Yes we have more talent but we have almost no size up front and have basically one LB (Ventrell) and a bunch of projects who were either edge blitzers or safeties we tried to convert. It didn't work. In the first half, UK punished our LBs with medium passes until we dropped them back and then they ran at our undersized DL. Pick your poison.

As for DC Toney, I still believe he is elite. I think there are already a bunch of positives.

We see Shemar James on the field a lot. With Miller hurt we will see him more. Yesterday Chris McClellan played on DL (actually at right DE) and was an absolute beast. I didn't even notice the swap until I thought who the hell collapsed that entire side of the line by himself and saw the number on rewind.

This trend of true freshmen moving senior players aside will continue. We have nice options to replace our trouble pieces, Dean, Burney, even Ventrell (great player just limited speed and coverage abilities). Even Cox looked better as he lost time to others (mostly Antwaun Powell) when he needed to be reminded to stay in his hole and do his job. In game one, Cox was about twice as likely to fuchs up completely as to make a big play. Utah ran right at him for a reason.

Coach Slingblade deserves patience. Two of our best players are OCyrus Torrence and Montrell Johnson, two star players now excelling in the SEC. Let the man develop talent.

When we started this season, I said I don't care much about record, and I just want to see improvement and elite recruiting. So far that is still within reach.

I hope no one mistakenly thought this roster was a championship team. Im not sure why we would be surprised at a few hiccups.

Tinerc doesn't look much better for us. They can score quickly. We cannot. It isn't a great matchup for us. Kintucky should have been a good matchup, unfortunately.

1662941960872.gif

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, I don't know what the hell Chris Doering is smoking but whatever it is I don't want any of it. He is DEAD wrong here. We lost to UKY because, desite the detailed breakdown by the Swamp Donkey, a lot of the times we beat ourselves. I was VERY unimpressed with UKY overall and I think they will get their asses handed to them more than once. 11 -1? Who the hell is he kidding?

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, I don't know what the hell Chris Doering is smoking but whatever it is I don't want any of it. He is DEAD wrong here. We lost to UKY because, desite the detailed breakdown by the Swamp Donkey, a lot of the times we beat ourselves. I was VERY unimpressed with UKY overall and I think they will get their asses handed to them more than once. 11 -1? Who the hell is he kidding?

Okay, I just went and looked at UKY's schedule and damn if it isn't a pretty soft one. Outside of UGA they have a schedule that's pretty soft. I still say that I wasn't that impressed with them. So let me flip it the other way.....I say they are going to lose a couple of games on that soft schedule because I just don't believe they were THAT impressive.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

They will lose to uga and tennessee for sure. No idea their West draw, but wouldn’t be totally shocked at 9-3/10-2. Agree that we beat ourselves and they aren’t great. But they’re solid and there’s no one else in front of them.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Swamp Donkey:

Ask that doosh, "where was this analysis when you were still a member?" Because all he ever posted was the same old broken record crap 100 times a day, 24-7. I don't know if his analysis was spot on, but at least he attempted to sound intelligent.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey:

The Donk nails it here. There is a whole lot of issues that have to be fixed. He's correct. NONE of us were even thinking ATL, Championships, etc. We were hoping it might happen earlier after last week. I am just as guilty of being impatient and would love to see the changes sooner rather than later, who wouldn't. But in this case we have no choice. What has been shredded over the last decade will take a while to re-build.

To add to what was mentioned on McClellan, How about Boone? That guy brought it and can lay the BOOM. Levis certainly felt that if not dang near crap himself over that hit. Love seeing these younger guys get in and get PT. That is only going to help the re-build and the message to the recruits. If you're the best you'll play.

Miss the Donk, but glad to see that we can at least hear from time to time from him.

Last edited:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coz, I listened to WRUF and can’t remember verbatim, but the tone was like he’d lost a loved one, monotone and morose. I’m sure he was flatly embarrassed by his performance in front of the NFL guys, but as a leader he’s got to stand in the breach, rise above the loss and give the fans something to hold on to. That didn’t happen, at least not on the after game broadcast.

Something like this…

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well my Bovine friend...I was actually spending time with the Lord...where were you?

Now that I'm available I could post the link...but I now see that it's been posted.

I thought you might do it but no you were concerned with me...that was thoughtful...Well I'm okay.

I could post the sermon or my church link? Lord knows we could use it: Chatter, UF, Napier, you, me...can sure use the prayers.

Have a blessed day
:scoff3:

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t mean to pile on here, but someone mentioned us having a major support staff now and the role it would play this week in shaking off any overconfidence or hangover from week 1. Well, that didn’t happen and this was as flat a performance offensively as I’ve ever seen. So that creates two problems. One, the obvious, they didn’t do a large part of their job. But also, I actually heard two students talking about the money, facilities and extras the football team gets in lieu of that money going to other programs, and “they still suck”, as these girls said. I get that these are just random college students speaking nonsense, but if you don’t think that this administration is waiting to see the fruitage of these investments, and will pull the plug on them accordingly, you’re mistaken. In this current “it’s not fair” climate, and the pull that students have right now, we either see direct correlation between the millions of dollars being spent on football(macro) and winning, or they will absolutely redirect those funds to the garbage they prioritized before. It’s that simple.
Did you ask the girls why they were at a football game instead of the girls soccer match?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Did you ask the girls why they were at a football game instead of the girls soccer match?

I didn’t even look at them. They were walking behind me. But I have zero faith based kn the dialogue I heard that they would be able to answer that, or intelligently discuss the economics of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.