Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by cover2, Oct 7, 2018.

1. GatorMan5K

GatorMan5K Gatorologist
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $225
    Ratings:
    +348 / -31
    No Mary,
    Those coaches deserve the moniker.

Why would I block you, the sand in your vagina amuses me

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,632
      Ratings:
      +4,624 / -4
      Thanks Rex. I think Durfish captured the essence of the troubles our receivers had in the quote below...

Couple of things to add...they pressed to take away quick stuff to the sidelines and were pretty physical when we tried to stem and escape into routes. They are very sound technically, lot of good hips when it was time to turn and run and really broke on most balls very quickly and precisely. That hard play can be very frustrating to receivers obviously. Lot of talent with a lot of experience. Good recruiting and good coaching. Our kids should have learned a lot and if any have NFL aspirations, they should realize that kind of game is what it's like every down in every game, not to mention practices. Our young guys in the secondary likely can't replicate that kind of play consistently in pass skeleton. They probably will by next year though.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,859
        Ratings:
        +10,053 / -89
        Well played game. We faced #5 and we controlled #5.
        Our D played smartly. Stamina payed its dividends.
        Our O failed too many times at scoring or just eating down the clock.
        Franks' well thrown INT at goal looked very much like his WR failed to cut in, but cut out?
        That play was set to be bang-bang & could have been a beauty TD.
        We got 200 yds rushing. Had we used Pierce, stats show we'd have had more yds rushing.--- plus more points on the board. Could we be preserving his RS status? or is that gone?

This team is like a Rubic's cube, a coupla turns from total solution. It's all exciting. =
        the return from long time absence = the Fighting Gators !

#63 rogdochar, Oct 7, 2018
        Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
        • Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
          $2,241
          Ratings:
          +2,860 / -39
          Those are actually encouraged...

• Like Like x 2
          • Drunk Drunk x 1
          • List
          • Defend the Swamp

Defend the Swamp Well-Known Member
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $202
            Ratings:
            +203 / -0
            They are very sound technically, lot of good hips when it was time to turn and run and really broke on most balls very quickly and precisely. That hard play can be very frustrating to receivers obviously. Lot of talent with a lot of experience. Good recruiting and good coaching. Our kids should have learned a lot and if any have NFL aspirations, they should realize that kind of game is what it's like every down in every game, not to mention practices. Our young guys in the secondary likely can't replicate that kind of play consistently in pass skeleton. They probably will by next year though.[/QUOTE]

Once Dean learns to flip his hips consistently...look out.
            More experience = more confidence.
            He needs the reps & it will be fun to watch him develop.

• Tay Bang

Tay Bang I wasn't mean to Byrd

Oxbucks:
              $984
              Ratings:
              +2,280 / -110
              I noticed in stadium as well. LSU is always talented in the secondary. Franks is no longer hitting opposing defenses in the chest multiple times per game.

• BNAG8R

BNAG8R ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ mind, ⭐️ ⭐️ body

Oxbucks:
                $1,808
                Ratings:
                +4,161 / -40
                Dude, the guy literally makes fun of himself about it:

• Tay Bang

Tay Bang I wasn't mean to Byrd

Oxbucks:
                $984
                Ratings:
                +2,280 / -110
                I think the cool kids call it concern trolling. Slev probably knows.

• Homer J

Homer J Senior Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $422
                Ratings:
                +805 / -68
                I just got back from my Army reunion weekend and had to read this. @cover2, GREAT as always.

I am worried about Vandy. If I was a betting man, I would take Vandy and the points. This coaching staff will have to do more teaching this week, than coaching, by keeping their heads on Vandy and not LSU / UGA.

11am game - we always start slow
                trap game between two top 5 teams
                huge win against # 5 team in the country and everyone is patting us on the back.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,597
                  Ratings:
                  +10,179 / -32
                  As always, great stuff @cover2 ...

Got back from Gainesville tonight and watched it on TV for first time... the pick six was CBS’s play of the game, but I think Scarlett’s first down on 3rd and 1 with 5 minutes to go keeping that clock eating drive going might have been at least the most under appreciated play of the game

• RobertPooner

Oxbucks:
                    $10
                    Ratings:
                    +79 / -3
                    Goddam Muffan's old lady is uglier than sin

• RocketCityGator

RocketCityGator In All Kinds of Weather
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $338
                    Ratings:
                    +1,254 / -103
                    Oh horse shizt. Reading your posts, it's very clear that you intend to be "offensive".

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                      $1,482
                      Ratings:
                      +2,728 / -244
                      I thought the same thing, I bet he thought even with a mistake he could make some positive yardage. And it might have been a penalty as ineligible down field as well.

Now comes a big test, Vandy has almost always given us trouble, so if we can play a complete game and dominate them from the start that will show a lot.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                        $1,482
                        Ratings:
                        +2,728 / -244
                        I don't see any areas that only recruiting can "fix". Since it is college we will need to replace some players every year, and the oline and QB are not were we would desire them to be. Otherwise we look pretty good except in depth in some areas.

• Gatorbait25

Gatorbait25 H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist

Oxbucks:
                          $1,369
                          Ratings:
                          +941 / -29
                          Outstanding as usual cover2. Reading bits and pieces every Sunday is a real treat. I can confirm along with others that the swamp was truly
                          remarkable on Saturday. It was definitely a hot one. In some ways the heat reminded me of our 09 game against the vols. Before opining on the game itself I wanted to watch the recording after getting home yesterday. Live I felt like Polite really controlled the ball game for us after the opening drive. In fact I don't believe he started the game. Moon was out there a lot on the first drive . Watching the replay it looked as if Joseph had his best game. I've spoke in the past about his athleticism , and that he was too inconsistent and at times playing out of control . That was the best performance we've had from a backer in quite some time. A job well done to VJ.

Chauncey- I was very critical of him post UK. Not so much for the poor play, but mainly the pregame chatter to the press. It must have
                          done something to him because we've seen a different player since. A very versatile player that can cover and tackle. Outside of CJ he's probably our best cover guy. Chauncey has a bit of Minkah Fitzpatrick to his game. Very good athlete that can excel at any position in the secondary. He was outstanding on Saturday.

Polite- He's going to start to see more doubles between the tackle and either a TE or a back helping on his side. Grantham does a good job moving him around, but he will still see doubles. In fact when LSU tried it Cece was able to get good pressure and deflect a pass on 3rd and medium. Forcing a punt in the 4th.

Feliepe- Four really outstanding balls from him watching live. Like most QB's he is a rhythm passer, and Dan will continue to help him out with some of the easy throws to the backs and tight end. The corner ball to Hammond was a beauty along with the one to Van on our scoring drive. Great throw there into tight coverage, but might even be a better catch by Jefferson. Two more great throws happened to be incomplete. The first one was the one that got overturned on the sideline to Toney. I thought he was in and that the call would stand, but it looked like he very well may have been out of bounds. Tough break there. On our next drive which was the scoring drive in the 4th , Grimes loses control of a good ball by Franks after coming down to the field. It's certainly not an easy catch, but one that needs to be made.

Overall this was a pretty great win. Dave Aranda in my opinion is the best assistant and DC in the country. I know some might argue
                          Venables, but I think Aranda's resume is right there and he's a bit younger as well. He does a good job taking away some of the short throws and making life difficult for the QB. It was very fitting to see the kid from New Orleans come up with a big play to rip the heart out of the bayou bengals. Stewart looks to be the next stud Gator safety that we've been blessed with over the years. Thanks for a great read C2. Now it's time for Vandy!

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
                            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                            $1,974
                            Ratings:
                            +2,626 / -171
                            I am not convinced that the out of bounds call was correct. I know that the front/side view appeared to show him out, but Imo that view was deceptive. Had he been out, it would have shown on the view from the sidelines looking into the field. Anyone trained in photo interpretation on this site?

• Homer

Homer Member

Oxbucks:
                            $59
                            Ratings:
                            +57 / -0
                            Nice write up.

Things ain’t perfect but,

Every player who’s been in regularly, has improved from last year.

It’s sweet having decent special teams.

Our defense didn’t run to the ball until the whistle blows in the UK game. That’s when coach started back with his “rentless effort” comments. Against LSU there were numerous tacklers on every play or someone close by if the tackle wasn’t made. Day and night difference. It also helps having Reese and Cee Cee back.

The offense and defense seem to be trusting each other. Players on each side of the ball also.

Purging the team of bad attitude players is still in the works. Some are being taught to be a team player or will be asked to move on. Lemons leaving was good for the team. Still lack leaders but some are starting to surface. Opening with Miami next year will be huge. If some of our key players get in trouble or have attendance issues the suspensions will hurt us against a good team. We need team leaders to keep them out of trouble.

Every part of our team is moving in the right direction. Hopefully recruiting will follow?

• Gatorbait25

Gatorbait25 H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist

Oxbucks:
                              $1,369
                              Ratings:
                              +941 / -29
                              I thought it was a catch live but I was in the South endzone. Looking at the replay at the stadium I thought it might be overturned,but that
                              we had a good chance of keeping the play as is. In any event I really am not a fan of punting from the opponents side of the field in a reasonable down and distance. Obviously 4th and 10 is not, so a punt is the right move. That said net 20 doesn't do much for me in my opinion. I would have liked Dan to take a 5 yard penalty there to pin them inside the ten.

• BostonGator84

BostonGator84 Infrequent Frequenter

Oxbucks:
                              $37
                              Ratings:
                              +223 / -1
                              I'd have to go back and look, but wasn't there 1:45 left in the game during the pick-6? And LSU had 1 timeout left? So if he went down, I don't think we would have been able to run out the clock. Taking the points seemed to me like the smart play. But it did run through my mind, Coach Mac yelling at Kelvin Taylor? for scoring when a knee would have sufficed.

• Since65

Since65 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                              $106
                              Ratings:
                              +644 / -4
                              Question about Tedarrell Slayton....who I thought I saw without helmet and leading cheers on the sideline late in the fourth quarter Saturday. Was he not playing in crunch time and if not, why not? Was he not said to be, along with Campbell, a 2018 mainstay on the Dline? Physical freak as in big, strong and exceptionally nimble and athletic? (Or am I confusing him with Conliffe?)

Is he just being outperformed by other guys like Shuler, etc? Or is he playing and I just don't watch the Dline closely enough? Or was he a Mac-special type player that I am misremembering as better than he was ever going to be?