Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. LSU

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
upload_2020-12-13_7-49-9.jpeg

Some days just aren’t meant to be your day. Maybe we should have known something was up when earlier in the day our best basketball player, Keyontae Johnson, suddenly and unexpectedly collapsed very early in the game with FSU? Most certainly our prayers and concerns go out to this great Gator athlete and his family. And if you believe in such foreshadowing, this could have been a sign. Add to that the mysterious last minute scratch of Kyle Pitts and the eerie fog that rolled into the Swamp in the second half and you have all the makings of a Poe epic. “Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore!’” about sums up where we find our Gator hopes and dreams at the moment.

Believe what you will, but personally I think you lie in the bed you make and Saturday night the problems in the secondary that have plagued us for a great while now, along with with some OL troubles, led to our undoing. Maybe most glaringly was that the simmering pot of coaching issues, particularly on the defensive side, finally boiled over with two botched corner blitzes that resulted in open receivers behind the safeties and a foolish and a very selfish penalty by a veteran, yet underperforming Marco Wilson that negated a timely third down stop. LSU was then able to convert a 57 yard field goal that became the difference. Eventually, you have to pay for your transgressions. Or in this case, your lack of attention to continuing problems. Even though you can lay much of this on Grantham, English, and company, ultimately this falls squarely on Dan Mullen’s shoulders.

*There’ll be references to other stats, but the most important one last night was three turnovers by us, two interceptions, one a Pick Six, and a fumble, all by Trask, and none by the Tigers. I don’t think you’ll find a better competitor than Kyle, but tonight wasn’t his best night despite throwing for 474 yards.

* For two games in a row, we’ve had consecutive three-and-out possessions. Three of them in a row in the second half immediately following two scoring drives was a head scratcher. It’s almost as if we expect the opposition to just roll over and let us cruise on to victory, and in a sense we have previously. Not last night, though. This is the SEC and even the most down-trodden can beat you...if you allow them the opportunity.

*Toney was en fuego. 182 receiving yards and a TD on 9 receptions and 56 yards rushing was quite a night. Though it’s taken him some time to fully bloom, or the coaches are finally taking advantage of his abilities, he is pure excitement. It hasn’t hurt that he has developed a great pair of hands to go along with some great route running. We’ll sure miss him.

*”Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is the definition of insanity!” That finally caught up to us with the inability to get lined up defensively and the poor coverage that has been constantly on display. That this has been allowed to go on for so long is inexcusable. Chris Doering called this an “embarrassing loss.” I would not disagree, especially against this edition of the Bayou Bengals, fresh off a thrashing by Bama and only dressing 50 some odd players. After listening to Mullen’s presser, I’m not quite sure he sees it that way.

* Ventrell Miller has steadily developed himself into a pretty decent ILB. He was a man last night, recording 10 tackles and 6 assists with a sack. What’s really impressive to me is to see how much better his reads and scrapes have become. You don’t see him taking the shallow angles that result in him getting pinned or tangled up inside. We need to be seeing similar development in other defensive positions.

*And just like that, Evan McPherson became just another good kicker. Not the great one that we all hoped for. There’s still time for him to rub out the tarnish of his missed 51 yarder (and a head scratching couple of easy ones that didn’t really hurt us this year), but he missed when we really needed one. Such are the vagaries of a place kicker. You might say it never should have had to come down to his kick, and you’d be right; but it did. That’s when you’ve got to make the kick. No excuses.

*Like all of you, I’m pissed with Marco Wilson. That was a bone-headed move of epic proportions. The gut reaction is to want him to be dismissed. Understandable. But the guys I’m really pissed with are the coaches who have continued to play him through his coverage mistakes and poor techniques. He doesn’t need to be dismissed, he needs to be sat, starting about nine games ago. There are a couple of youngsters who could have benefited from his wasted reps.

*Malik Davis had a nice game, 7 rushes for 81 yards and 5 receptions for 25. I’d like to compliment the OL for their efforts in this regard, but a -28 yards by Trask and 4 sacks surrendered is a backward step.

*Copeland had a good night. He looked very dynamic and poised to become one of the next greats. Arms extended on a couple of catches. In the absence of Pitts, it was a great opportunity for him to shine.

It’s going to be hard going into the SECCG against Bama next week with much confidence. We missed a great opportunity to build some momentum against our west rival who was literally a game away from packing their suitcases and heading home for the holidays. You can understand players getting ahead of themselves, but the coaches should know better. If they did, it didn’t look like it. What should have been, by all accounts, a walk in the park, turned into a disaster. Another kite lost in the trees.

We’re at a crossroads. We can show up, get our butt spanked, and spin it that we reached one of our goals. Or we can act and perform like we’re better prepared and fight with everything we’ve got. This is what’s required; this is what’s expected. Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have to give you a like even before reading just laughing at Charlie Brown hanging from a tree, LOL

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think Grantham is gone after the season. The "noise" is real and Mullen won't be able to ignore it. I think we'll also see English replaced.

I'm not sure if Delance got injured, but they finally played the OL they should have been playing the last 5 weeks - moving Gouraige outside to OT and White at OG. Reese played like sh*t and probably needs to be replaced by Braun.

Why was Lee in the game in place of Campbell in the early 3rd quarter? Campbell was p*ssed off about something and they had to call a timeout (another Grantham f*ck up w/ alignments).

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Cover, that pretty well sums it up, as us 'ol Gators used to say, The hell with waiting till next year, not unless some wholesale changes are made (but I doubt it)...Go Gators...:jog:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Cover, nice writeup as always, we just casually strolled into our last game on Senior night with a too-relaxed staff that didn't even dress out our best player, the rest of the team copied the laid-back GAF attitude of the coaches and got our azzes beat. Our O-line couldn't keep the Tiguz off Trask and it ruined a good bit of his game. Look for Bama to bull-rush the hell out of him and dominate the lines. Grantham's D sucked as always but we still should have won with 600+ yards offense. Wilson needs to sit - but his ridiculous behavior is what the coaches have allowed to build to this point - disgusting showboating, stupid penalties...

Dan's rhetoric about the "Gator Standard" are just empty words because it's clear now that the coaches just talk the talk, not walk the walk. Ducked any responsibility for the loss after the game; Dan lost almost as much respect as Wilson last night.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think Grantham is gone after the season. The "noise" is real and Mullen won't be able to ignore it. I think we'll also see English replaced.

I'm not sure if Delance got injured, but they finally played the OL they should have been playing the last 5 weeks - moving Gouraige outside to OT and White at OG. Reese played like sh*t and probably needs to be replaced by Braun.

Why was Lee in the game in place of Campbell in the early 3rd quarter? Campbell was p*ssed off about something and they had to call a timeout (another Grantham f*ck up w/ alignments).

I hope you're right, but I have no faith in Mullen.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Cover right on target as usual. It seems in every game this season we have had moments when we just barely avoided disaster. Games we should have closed out became gut grinders with first time QB'S missing open receivers, opponent DB's dropping sure pick 6's, and our "ole" tackling defense keeping all games close for way too long. It all came home last night. The thing that burns my ass is that our defense never showed any real improvement from game 1 to game 10. Another first time QB starter made to look like Aaron Rodgers.
I look at TAM as example of how the sieve like D we played in October has evolved into a pretty solid unit. Our group is still as sorry now as it was then. To paraphrase Wellington at Waterloo "they keep running the same old plays, and we keep getting burned in the same old ways".
As bad as this defense is we were fortunate to win 8 and beat UGA. Grantham needs to go and I believe he will be gone. The secondary coaches need to be close behind.
On next week unless someone opens up a can of "Wu Han" on Bama, we are going to get a can of "whoop ass" opened on us.

Last edited:

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018

It looked like he was pissed that we couldn't get a defensive call in or the correct defensive personnel in the game. It's been 3 years of Granthemisms and we can't get calls in faster? Of course what should I expect the defenses timing as whole is horrid. They don't know when to look for the ball on pass plays.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just let Marco blitz EVERY play... At least theoretically, he might tie up a player that way
I’d rather he just watch from the sideline. I’m afraid he’d wind up getting in the way of one of our other defenders.

Thanks for the analysis. My mind is still too numb to process much of it.
Mind-numbing, to be sure.

I went to bed at halftime. I figured since it appeared the team didn’t GAF, why should I?
That was certainly one of the vibes being given off. Every game is important for one reason or another. We weren’t as good as our 8-1 record might have seemed to some. After last night, we’re probably viewed as worse than 8-2. And rightfully so.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
What bothers me most is it's a disservice to Kyle Trasks year. I don't think he'll win the Heisman now unless we do beat Bama (LOL). If if he throws for 600yards and 6 TD's on them in a loss it's not going to happen. It'll go to the Bama QB who has a defense and a running game and doesn't have to do it all.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Dan's rhetoric about the "Gator Standard" are just empty words because it's clear now that the coaches just talk the talk, not walk the walk. Ducked any responsibility for the loss after the game; Dan lost almost as much respect as Wilson last night.

This x1000. I manage a sizable workforce. Any path to overcoming errors, mistakes, incidents, tragedies, etc. starts with characterization and accountability. Characterize what happened including root cause and while yes, personal accountability, but ultimately leadership accountability for implementing corrective action. Externally, I see just the opposite from Mullen. Hence why I have no faith in him.

Note that Trask stepped up and owned, said he gave them 10 points. Respect.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
What bothers me most is it's a disservice to Kyle Trasks year. I don't think he'll win the Heisman now unless we do beat Bama (LOL). If if he throws for 600yards and 6 TD's on them in a loss it's not going to happen. It'll go to the Bama QB who has a defense and a running game and doesn't have to do it all.

This is true, but in all honesty, Trask made a lot of mistakes last night. Ball security has always been an issue, yet it happened again with a terrible fumble. He throws a pick 6, that can happen, but since we never ever see a safety or LB on our team make a play like breaking on a ball in the air, we don;t think it can happen. The fluke INT on the sideline should not have been a fluke, it should have been in the 60th row. He forces throws that do not need to be forced. Live for the next play. I know he feels the heat b/c of no O-line and no running game, but you have to have a little knowledge about the big picture. His story is great and it has been a huge boon for us, but his mental breakdowns are sometimes just that, regardless of situaton and Cousin Eddie's Offense not having any passing combos.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd love to make a well thought out response but I'm still so pissed I can't even see straight. But I'll try.

A lot of people have heartburn with Mullens Xs and Os approach. Too much option, bad play calls at the wrong time, trying to be too cute instead of just executing solid plays, etc. I see some of that but its been hard to argue with the results. But where Mullen took a HUGE step backward last night in my eyes was just the discipline and accountability aspect of the program. Every group, no matter how large or small, is a direct reflection of their leader. Mullen's total lack of accountability in his post game pressers and other interviews, combined with the obvious lack of discipline of our players, belies a decided lack of leadership. It is impossible to ignore anymore. IMO he has a very small window of opportunity to get it fixed, but I doubt he'll get it done because by this time in life you are pretty set in your ways.

Hard really to quantify just how much optimism I had for this program went flying away into the foggy night air like an unwanted shoe last night.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's the coaches' jobs to get the players ready for the game. That includes everything from film study, to fundamentals. After that game last night, I'm seriously questioning if we work on any of that stuff during the week. Call a Corner blitz and the Safeties get caught looking on the inside. It's like they don't understand the corner won't be covering anybody. Too much tackling up around the shoulder pads. Too much celebration for doing your job. Silly and costly mental mistakes. You're in your 10th game of the season and still can't get the plays called in time so the defense can get aligned before the ball is snapped. I mean I can't even list all the things I've seen this year that point to a serious lack of preparation by this staff. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. The offense wasn't perfect but they did put up a crapload of yards. Turn-overs killed the production. Some of that was due to very poor decisions by our QB that is usually very sharp. Was his head already at the Heisman ceremony? If so, that's on the coaches too. It's their job to have the players focused and dialed in for the game. It's a sad state of affairs. We had a really good offense finally, but a defense that doesn't show up for most of the game. It's disappointing to say the least. I always look forward to the bits and pieces and truth takes each week with my coffee, but this week my coffee is tasting extra bitter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I After that game last night, I'm seriously questioning if we work on any of that stuff during the week. .
Part of me wonders if we have been working on Bammer for three weeks. We don't have really any significant quality staff at all, just a couple of GA plus types and that ancient ass Syracuse coach. It's not like we could rely on them to prep.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'd love to make a well thought out response but I'm still so pissed I can't even see straight. But I'll try.

A lot of people have heartburn with Mullens Xs and Os approach. Too much option, bad play calls at the wrong time, trying to be too cute instead of just executing solid plays, etc. I see some of that but its been hard to argue with the results. But where Mullen took a HUGE step backward last night in my eyes was just the discipline and accountability aspect of the program. Every group, no matter how large or small, is a direct reflection of their leader. Mullen's total lack of accountability in his post game pressers and other interviews, combined with the obvious lack of discipline of our players, belies a decided lack of leadership. It is impossible to ignore anymore. IMO he has a very small window of opportunity to get it fixed, but I doubt he'll get it done because by this time in life you are pretty set in your ways.

Hard really to quantify just how much optimism I had for this program went flying away into the foggy night air like an unwanted shoe last night.

Well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator