Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Miami

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by cover2, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Fishon

Fishon Senior Member
    BANNED

Oxbucks:
    $724
    Ratings:
    +1,328 / -73
    I see law is back to being hysterical. enjoy level-headed law while you got em, folks. it never lasts long

• neteng

neteng Fuga!
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,771
      Ratings:
      +5,451 / -476
      That was just horrible. Everything about that game was horrible. The refs were horrible but at least they consistently made horrible calls against both teams. That game should have been on Friday night instead of Saturday night. There is higher quality high school football in the state of Florida compared to what was on that field Saturday night.

I thought maybe after the first quarter when the first game jitters wear off we would turn it on. It never happened. Everything was bad. OL looked like crap. Franks looked lost. Playcalling from Mullen and Grantham sucked donkey schlongs.

The ONLY positive was our DL ... probably more like the rush ends that we have been joking and baggin on all season. A sort of poetic justice that just makes you even angrier. I guess we should be happy we have all the rush ends in the world because without it we lose a game against a pathetic scUM team.

Horrible.

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Apex predator of the political forum biome
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $6,038
        Ratings:
        +8,576 / -96
        I agree after seeing the skycam replay. I think the play is coming open but there was no time. The right side of the line looked really bad after watching it again with opportunity to slow it down. I don't think he was as bad as some people here feel - there was growth - but that is an example of the pressing I think he was doing in the second half. The smart play is to protect the ball and take the sack. I'm more concerned with the focus on the crowd rather than his teammates. Maybe it just wasn't shown on the broadcast but I would have rather seen his focus on rallying the team. That's also just the flavor of QB I favor. All kinds of people can be successful doing the job.

It's way too early for anyone to be calling for EJ.

• SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $10,330
          Ratings:
          +10,697 / -725
          That was a great review. Liked that he broke down each of those plays. Interesting though. He seemed pretty high on Franks but PFF absolutely torched him. Worst grade on team.

Think both picks highlighted Franks biggest issue. Dude just doesn’t know when to take the sack or try and bail for a run. Both throws he’s off balance while trying to throw because a dude is in his lap. Got to stop doing that!

• maheo30

maheo30 WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $12,507
            Ratings:
            +16,629 / -215
            I missed that narrative. Who is saying Franks had all day? I see people making the argument the pass protection was solid. Sure, there were problems at times. That is to be expected for a young unit in their first start going against a talented front 7.

• JDW

JDW Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $7,098
              Ratings:
              +8,876 / -451
              If swain doesn’t touch that ball it looked like Cleveland is headed in for a score...you gotta see it on replay but the point is we’re not as bad off at QB as ppl are saying

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Apex predator of the political forum biome
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $6,038
                Ratings:
                +8,576 / -96
                I think it is easy to forget how truly putrid this guy was two years ago. He made some progress last year and I believe there was clearly some progress this year. I think there's evidence that he's a bit emotionally frail at times (the shush, the gloating, etc) and those character flaws (at least that's how I see them) are going to be the hardest thing to overcome. He did plenty to hate - but he did some things to like too especially since protection was far from ideal.

• ATXGator

ATXGator Austin Gator
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $955
                  Ratings:
                  +4,472 / -68
                  There is a sliver lining here.

The coaches have a lot of actually game film against a quality opponent to show flaws to players. This gives a ton of coaching opportunity. Thanks to this game being moved a week early, we have an extra week to really focus on all the problems... this is a benefit other teams don't have.

Time for Mullen and company to go to work and get this fixed. I expect we will hear "attention to detail" a ton in the next couple weeks, but I think that is accurate in a lot of ways.

• ATXGator

ATXGator Austin Gator
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $955
                    Ratings:
                    +4,472 / -68
                    One more positive... to my knowledge... NO INJURIES!!! Always nice to get out of a game with a Power 5 team without injuries... especially on the OL that needs a lot more work!

• Gator by the Sea

Gator by the Sea Well-Known Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,196
                      Ratings:
                      +1,650 / -8
                      Actually, the muffed punt return that lead to a Gator TD counts as a fumble, so technically we did recover one of them. But I get your point...it was ridiculous how many fumbles went their way.

• BadowGator

BadowGator The Chuckler

Oxbucks:
                        $730
                        Ratings:
                        +783 / -74
                        Realistically, moving this game up a week I feel is going to benefit us greatly moving forward. Having two weeks before another game day coupled with a cupcake confidence booster (scrimmage) before actual sec play. I don’t think could set us up any better. IF the coaches do their job, the Miami game and the porous play we witnessed could and should work wonders for them in the film room and on the practice field.
                        But DAMN from a fans perspective it’s going to be a long wait. I want this team back on the field today because I do not for one second feel like that’s the Gator squad we’re going to see this year. Pumper me all you want, but I haven’t thought like that in a decade. Seasons past, I’ve only considered doom and expected play like that from our coaches and QBs. This just feels different to me. Correctable issues weren’t the case in years past. We just flat out stunk in too many aspects IMO. Safety is my biggest concern this year. Franks will be Franks, but I’m confident the running game turns it around and helps masks that.

• Gator by the Sea

Gator by the Sea Well-Known Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $1,196
                          Ratings:
                          +1,650 / -8
                          There’s been a lot of grumbling on here (rightly so), but we did just beat scUM, so I’ll leave this here for a laugh. IMG_0680.JPG

• Sec14Gator

Sec14Gator Well-Known Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $2,995
                            Ratings:
                            +3,469 / -210
                            I think this is exactly what happens on the first fumble. Perine seems like the correct read, yet Franks pulled it. About the only time all game he chose to keep the ball. My thought at the time, and moreso after watching his theatrics during the game, is Franks wanted the TD when they got close.

Edit - here is my poor image of the mesh point. Franks chooses to keep and run around the circled player and at the unblocked lb behind him. The OL on the right side has a hole though. The read might not have been obvious but it’s a curious keep since he didn’t do it the rest of the game away from the end zone.

788BA81D-10DE-485A-A220-C404FCCD9126.jpeg

Yeah, this is idea - of a mindset against our own paying, supporting, traveling to a neutral game fans - always works well in college. Those teams that embrace their fans suck. Look how great this worked for the shark lover.

Delance does bump him low and perhaps high. But, this play isn’t even on Delance who does well enough there for 90% of qb’s. You want a good pocket, but against any good team the QBs might have to slide a little. Franks didn’t on this play at all. 1 half slide and he’s in a clean pocket. Franks did that ok on a number of other plays. Not this one at all. When the deep shot was covered, the next read should have been tuck and run.

Um, no it’s not. The UM dB is running 5 yards ahead on the same route, which is why he seemed so open, the dB had the play read that well.

Maheo is right on this from the actual game and as to the vast majority of those reacting and not blaming the OL. They did a pretty good job in pass protection.

In the run game, they didn’t do great, but we leave a guy unblocked intentionally. If the QB doesn’t read that the unblocked guy is crashing the RB, the play doesn’t work even if every lineman blocks. This happened several times and was to me, the aspect Franks regressed the most.

Last note, on Kyree Campbell. Everyone is lauding JZ and Greenard, and rightly, but they were up against freshman and had some subs to let them occasionally rest. To me the DLineman of the game was Campbell (perhaps best game of the entire team). Dude was all over the place blowing up plays against a couple much bigger blockers and some double teams. Plus, he was barely able to sub due to Slaton being suspended. He had an awesome game start to finish. 6 tackles, 2 for a loss, one sack, and one forced fumble. Dude balled out as MIami had the ball 50% longer than us (including more than 12 minutes of possession in the fourth quarter).

#153 Sec14Gator, Aug 26, 2019
                            Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
                            • Fishon

Fishon Senior Member
                              BANNED

Oxbucks:
                              $724
                              Ratings:
                              +1,328 / -73
                              I see you have two issues here. One is calling a RPO in the goal-to-go situation they were in. Two is Franks' decision on the play. I won't argue your first point, that seems more of an opinion based on the outcome of the play. To your second point, there was a video (tried to find it, couldn't) that showed Grimes breaking open to the middle of the field. With enough space for Franks to fire one in; similar to the pass to Perine for a TD. Was is wide open? No, but not the "total traffic" you are talking about.

I'll look again for the video and post.
                              ETA: here's the video

#154 Fishon, Aug 26, 2019
                              Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
                              • SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $10,330
                                Ratings:
                                +10,697 / -725
                                He had two very good options and one bad one. The hand off was a bad option. Wasn’t going anywhere. Grimes breaking across the middle was the best by far and I believe that’s what he saw. Maybe he tried to pull it too late, don’t know what caused the confusion. The option option was the screen at the bottom of the screen. I don’t think it goes anywhere and I believe it’s purpose was to act as decoy so Grimes could break open.

Long story short... I think it was a great play but terrible execution by Franks and/or Perrine. I’m not an expert on RPOs but I’ve read consistently that the RB is supposed to assume he’s keeping it and it’s the QBs responsibility to yank it out.

• Sec14Gator

Sec14Gator Well-Known Member
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $2,995
                                  Ratings:
                                  +3,469 / -210
                                  Interesting take and maybe I was too tough on the Franks read thinking he was running. Can’t 100% tell from the video, but it’s possible.

• ATXGator

ATXGator Austin Gator
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $955
                                    Ratings:
                                    +4,472 / -68
                                    I think the first statement is so true. I have been saying this as well. We get the benefit of having a real life game (that we won!) against a good team that will give our coaches film and real life coaching that they could not have gotten. Add in that we have a bye week to focus on fixing these and it is HUGE!!! Nobody else gets that extra week. It is a huge advantage!

• SGG

SGG Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $3,757
                                      Ratings:
                                      +6,899 / -133
                                      Actually, he is, they talked about all of his injury tendencies during the broadcast :lol:

• SGG

SGG Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $3,757
                                      Ratings:
                                      +6,899 / -133
                                      This. It was a very physical game, given the war at the LOS, and the rivalry aspect of it. Surprising that we came away with no injuries.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
                                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $13,739
                                        Ratings:
                                        +21,780 / -360
                                        Another positive ...rumors of tropical storm that never hit ... but Gators did hit a Hurricane and came out with no damage.