Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Michigan

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
41-15 Peach Bowl victory over favored Michigan! Last year at this time, we were all sitting in the seat occupied by F$U this year, fresh off a 4-8 collapse engineered by famed offensive mind Captain Jim McElwain who staged his own death (so to speak) and left First Mate Randy Shannon to guide the SS Foley to the college football equivalent of Davy Jones' locker. Then came the hire of the less than ballyhooed Dan Mullen to raise the good ship and to meet expectations to not just raise the good ship, but to guide it to the forefront of the conference and perhaps all of college football at a speed likely faster than his inherited crew was capable. Yet here we find our ship closer to the CFB flagship than probably imagined. Instead of the garbage scow we'd become, we at least look like a sturdy destroyer if not a cruiser (not quite a battleship...yet). Pretty good finish after getting torpedoed by three Eastern Division foes and being led into battle by a QB who at one point looked more like Captain Bly than John Paul Jones!

Alright, enough naval references (you've got to forgive me as I watched In Harms Way a few nights back and it was still fresh on my mind - hey, the Duke was in it). But I think most get the picture. We've made a statement this season under Mullen that we're on the rise...not quite "there" just yet, but pointed in the right direction. We made it to a good bowl for the first time in a while, won it and in doing so beat a nemesis of sorts. And I'd be remiss not to remind you that we defeated the Nole$ and broke a five game losing streak (so what if they were coached by Taggert :nole:). The good created, while not yet great, gives hope and high expectations. The offseason has to be better than the last several and it's good to feel some of the confidence that once shown in Gator football make a return. Now, for our date with the Wolverines in ATL...

*A tale of two halves. Though we didn't play terribly early on, we experienced some problems with UM's defense and failed to take advantage of a couple of TD opportunities in the red zone. Franks was looking more like his earlier version that couldn't connect on the long passes and who had no peripheral vision when flushed. We also seemed to be having our problems defensively both containing their ground game and generating consistent pressure on the QB, thanks mostly to the Wolverine OL. And we had a punt blocked! However, things changed in the second half. Michigan fans might tell you that not having their guys that are going pro (antiquated term) was the difference. I believe it was more a matter of Franks settling down and playing like he has lately and our RB's finding their groove (with a little help from the OL). The D got their second wind while UM looked to be spent (or disinterested somewhat) and suddenly our speed and tenacity overcame their strength and reputation. Mullen also deserves some credit for his game plan, adjustments, and setting an example of keeping your cool. All things that have been in short supply for some time.

*If I have a criticism of Coah Mullen, it would be for the double pass called. Certainly it might have been a big play if better executed, but the timing of it made me go

:what2:

Fortunately it didn't cost us. Otherwise, I thought what he and the staff put together was pretty good.

*Looks like a great swan song for Chauncey, Scarlett, and Perine, should all decide to test the waters of the draft. All have made great strides this year. Especially proud of how far Chauncey has come. When he first got on the field here at UF, he was soft as chewed bubble gum where tackling was concerned. He improved that aspect of his game and added leadership to his resume. Good luck! I'm also sure we'll lose Polite and a couple more on the D side, so the rebuild will continue to a certain degree. I heard Vosean was contemplating entering the draft. He could certainly benefit from another year of coaching.

*Michigan's OL wasn't too bad. Big and with a lot of mobility. Hopefully we'll sort of resemble that prototype in a year or so. I thought our OL guys were obviously better in the second half. Even though our rush total was pretty good, I was looking for more misdirection (counters, etc.) as we seem to be more consistent blocking on the move parallel to the LOS than moving laterally in the zone concept. Evidently, we were good enough along with the RBs and Franks (to a degree) running like champions. Looked like this one meant a lot to the big guys and to all the Gators on this day.

*Tunnel screen and slants were open with UM's coverage schemes. Good to see us take advantage. Also good to see our receivers getting behind their DBs when coverage tightened, even if we didn't do a great job of getting it to them.

*A lot of key moments in the game, but I thought not allowing them to score a TD right before the half preserved a psychological advantage for us.

*Looks like the Gator fans showed up. Thanks to all the Chatter members in attendance. All of you made a difference!

Maybe not among our greatest of seasons, but certainly one to be remembered. As mentioned, anticipation for what's ahead has got to be higher than what we have been expecting. Hearing the fans loudly chant "It's great...to be...a Florida Gator" as the awards were presented post game made me think of where we were and that it might not be only relegated to history any longer. A lot to be done still, but it's good to expect better than dreading the worst! Have a great off season and Go Gators!

:chomp:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
you've got to forgive me as I watched In Harms Way a few nights back and it was still fresh on my mind
My brother and I walked to the State Theater in Gville the year it came out and saw that adult movie. I was 12 maybe. John Wayne as a bad guy even. Great analysis. Gators exceeded ALL expectations with this win.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Love your analysis and you write so well (journalism major) please keep it coming next year Cover2

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What a great end to the first chapter of the Mullen story here at UF. We are trending up for sure. We just need it to translate to the recruiting trail. HUGE win. What a second half. I am just going to enjoy this until all my crown royal is gone. Thanks for all the great post Cover. Go Gators!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My Take

The double pass had an open TE running free.

The O-Line got eaten up. Franks had little time and this makes me think that Emory will have a chance next year because he adds that element to help the O-Line.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My Take

The double pass had an open TE running free.

The O-Line got eaten up. Franks had little time and this makes me think that Emory will have a chance next year because he adds that element to help the O-Line.

Wow, don't let JCTow see your negative comments regarding our very porous OL...He obviously did not see Franks under pressure about 90% of the time he received the snap nor, did he notice that about 90% of the time our RB's were hit in the backfield as they received the hand offs and, they made yardage after contact... he will give you faceplam's and dislikes because he is very football Knowledgeable... :)

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
41-15 Peach Bowl victory over favored Michigan! Last year at this time, we were all sitting in the seat occupied by F$U this year, fresh off a 4-8 collapse engineered by famed offensive mind Captain Jim McElwain who staged his own death (so to speak) and left First Mate Randy Shannon to guide the SS Foley to the college football equivalent of Davy Jones' locker. Then came the hire of the less than ballyhooed Dan Mullen to raise the good ship and to meet expectations to not just raise the good ship, but to guide it to the forefront of the conference and perhaps all of college football at a speed likely faster than his inherited crew was capable. Yet here we find our ship closer to the CFB flagship than probably imagined. Instead of the garbage scow we'd become, we at least look like a sturdy destroyer if not a cruiser (not quite a battleship...yet). Pretty good finish after getting torpedoed by three Eastern Division foes and being led into battle by a QB who at one point looked more like Captain Bly than John Paul Jones!

Alright, enough naval references (you've got to forgive me as I watched In Harms Way a few nights back and it was still fresh on my mind - hey, the Duke was in it). But I think most get the picture. We've made a statement this season under Mullen that we're on the rise...not quite "there" just yet, but pointed in the right direction. We made it to a good bowl for the first time in a while, won it and in doing so beat a nemesis of sorts. And I'd be remiss not to remind you that we defeated the Nole$ and broke a five game losing streak (so what if they were coached by Taggert :nole:). The good created, while not yet great, gives hope and high expectations. The offseason has to be better than the last several and it's good to feel some of the confidence that once shown in Gator football make a return. Now, for our date with the Wolverines in ATL...

*A tale of two halves. Though we didn't play terribly early on, we experienced some problems with UM's defense and failed to take advantage of a couple of TD opportunities in the red zone. Franks was looking more like his earlier version that couldn't connect on the long passes and who had no peripheral vision when flushed. We also seemed to be having our problems defensively both containing their ground game and generating consistent pressure on the QB, thanks mostly to the Wolverine OL. And we had a punt blocked! However, things changed in the second half. Michigan fans might tell you that not having their guys that are going pro (antiquated term) was the difference. I believe it was more a matter of Franks settling down and playing like he has lately and our RB's finding their groove (with a little help from the OL). The D got their second wind while UM looked to be spent (or disinterested somewhat) and suddenly our speed and tenacity overcame their strength and reputation. Mullen also deserves some credit for his game plan, adjustments, and setting an example of keeping your cool. All things that have been in short supply for some time.

*If I have a criticism of Coah Mullen, it would be for the double pass called. Certainly it might have been a big play if better executed, but the timing of it made me go

:what2:

Fortunately it didn't cost us. Otherwise, I thought what he and the staff put together was pretty good.

*Looks like a great swan song for Chauncey, Scarlett, and Perine, should all decide to test the waters of the draft. All have made great strides this year. Especially proud of how far Chauncey has come. When he first got on the field here at UF, he was soft as chewed bubble gum where tackling was concerned. He improved that aspect of his game and added leadership to his resume. Good luck! I'm also sure we'll lose Polite and a couple more on the D side, so the rebuild will continue to a certain degree. I heard Vosean was contemplating entering the draft. He could certainly benefit from another year of coaching.

*Michigan's OL wasn't too bad. Big and with a lot of mobility. Hopefully we'll sort of resemble that prototype in a year or so. I thought our OL guys were obviously better in the second half. Even though our rush total was pretty good, I was looking for more misdirection (counters, etc.) as we seem to be more consistent blocking on the move parallel to the LOS than moving laterally in the zone concept. Evidently, we were good enough along with the RBs and Franks (to a degree) running like champions. Looked like this one meant a lot to the big guys and to all the Gators on this day.

*Tunnel screen and slants were open with UM's coverage schemes. Good to see us take advantage. Also good to see our receivers getting behind their DBs when coverage tightened, even if we didn't do a great job of getting it to them.

*A lot of key moments in the game, but I thought not allowing them to score a TD right before the half preserved a psychological advantage for us.

*Looks like the Gator fans showed up. Thanks to all the Chatter members in attendance. All of you made a difference!

Maybe not among our greatest of seasons, but certainly one to be remembered. As mentioned, anticipation for what's ahead has got to be higher than what we have been expecting. Hearing the fans loudly chant "It's great...to be...a Florida Gator" as the awards were presented post game made me think of where we were and that it might not be only relegated to history any longer. A lot to be done still, but it's good to expect better than dreading the worst! Have a great off season and Go Gators!

:chomp:

That was a helluva last game for Gardner-Johnson. He displayed all his many skills for future employers: tackling, toughness, hi football IQ, speed, leadership. Great job, CGJ and good luck!!

Nice to get the FSU and Michigan monkeys off the Gators' back in consecutive games...and in convincing fashion no less. Hope recruits take note.

Despite being a submariner I'll refrain from maritime references.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Cover 2 you have outdone yourself this season. I have always anticipated your coverage of each game this season. God bless and have a great 2019.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks, Cover. I'm not a big gadget play guy, but when they are run I like to see them when I least expect it. I'll give him points for checking that box. When I saw what was happening I got really excited until the duck that got thrown back. Had the pass been accurate it was going to be "Katy bar the door" for the fellas in the wrong shade of blue, because they were apparently as surprised as we were it was happening.

A long way to go for sure, but not so far perhaps as I expected.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover 2 is truly an irreplaceable part of our board . Bits and pieces is my favorite read every Sunday morning of the year . Please keep it up my friend . I’ll add a few thoughts to the ball game and of course add what I feel will be crucial for us moving forward.

I believe regardless of spring or summer camp that franks is the guy for at minimum the
Miami opener . For him it’s truly feast or famine in 2019. Dans offense features the QB . Often times the leading rusher as well as obviously the passer . That gives you the opportunity to be a Heisman contender or fall flat on your face . Either way I don’t expect him back for a Fifth year . It’s all 2019 for Franks .

I felt burney did some good things today . Bless his heart , jaewan Taylor made tackle after tackle and played as well as he possibly can today . I and others have ragged on him many times. Consequently he deserves a thumbs up for a solid performance . CGJ will be a good pro . To me he’s a solid free safety and can even help out at corner in a pinch . He’s a Minkah Fitzpatrick that you can get later in the draft . Fantastic value .

The visit to Baton Rouge looms large in 2019. But I believe the two trips to Columbia . Both Carolina and Missouri could pose a challenge.
Okay I won’t lose any sleep over a chimp coached football team, but the tigers with Bryant could be problematic. I’m really excited for the future of this program . Go gators!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Wow, don't let JCTow see your negative comments regarding our very porous OL...He obviously did not see Franks under pressure about 90% of the time he received the snap nor, did he notice that about 90% of the time our RB's were hit in the backfield as they received the hand offs and, they made yardage after contact... he will give you faceplam's and dislikes because he is very football Knowledgeable... :)
No. I can answer for him. Nobody saw that$@#&*" except drunks and trolls. Even if you were right you would be wrong. That nitpicking can wait for another day. Today we are enjoying a decisive victory over a top ten team who had won all four of our previous contests, and which, statistically, had the best defense in the country. You have already ruined the other thread, so go back there. Reflect on this: while you may not be a troll, your posts are virtually indistinguishable ftom trolls' posts.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Cover - Thanks for a season full of great post-games analysis I never missed reading one. All of Gator Nation should be floating on air tonight after we de-pants Meatchikin in front of the country, just after blasting the azznoles off Ron Zook field. What a way to end the season - just kickin azz and taking names. I needed this, all of Gator Nation needed this and thank the Almighty for delivering these results via our unknowingly getting a golden ticket in Coach Dan Mullen. Many (including me) were afraid he was gonna be just another also-ran coach but look what he did in one year. Took 4-7 to 10-3 and a final Top Ten ranking. Improvements everywhere - our LOS play, running game, tight D and the biggest miracle of all - turning Franks into a winning player. Recruits already know where we're headed and will want to get on board. All of Gator Nation should sleep soundly tonight - we're gonna be OK.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Ah, the great C2 synopsis is as perfect as it ever was. Back from my corn induced nap, the SS Minow never sank. The DL held strong. Scarlet and Perine, well enough said :)

It was a great stomping of UM to be followed by the same :)

Issues to be sure, but a Great Gator Win nevertheless

Go Gators

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's very appropriate that we would end 2018 blowing out Michigan since we began last season with the exact opposite. Last year's loss was a sure sign of absolute failure while this win is a sign of good things to come. Great write-up as always C2. Looking forward to next year.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
image.jpeg Cover 2, great write up, as always. I was lucky enough to go to the game. We have a friend who does business with Chick Fil A, and i was offered free tickets, just had to make the 7 hour drive...well worth it. What great way to end the season, and very satisfying to finally beat those guys. Here's the lasting Image I'll take away from Mercedes Benz stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.