Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Mississippi State

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • B

Votes: 79 78.2%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not me. I think he screwed it up. Forcing them to punt with over 20 seconds on the clock would have been simple. Even a shanked punt means we only need a few yards for a FG and we were trailing by 3 at the time. If their punter booms one you just let it go and kneel in the ball. This **** is fundamental strategy, not some crazy roll of the dice.

But you're debating philosophy, not competence. I'm quite certain that if 100 coaches were polled regarding that moment after the second down sack, given all circumstances, plenty would agree that you have to be aggressive, while some would take the other position. The question is whether or not he was confused as to how the whole clock thing works and didn't manage it the way he wanted to. That's where I see nothing of any substance. Like it or not, agree or not, he was content going in down 3.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with Zambo.

tenor.gif

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But you're debating philosophy, not competence. I'm quite certain that if 100 coaches were polled regarding that moment after the second down sack, given all circumstances, plenty would agree that you have to be aggressive, while some would take the other position. The question is whether or not he was confused as to how the whole clock thing works and didn't manage it the way he wanted to. That's where I see nothing of any substance. Like it or not, agree or not, he was content going in down 3.

You’re right I don’t have any idea what he was thinking. Hell he could have been distracted by some other issue for all I know. I’ll just bet thought that what ol’ Moorhead was thinking on the other sideline was “holy crap I hope we get out of this without giving them good field position and some time on the clock,” and we should have made it as hard as possible for him to do that.

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018
Lol. I understand...I have sons twenty something and they have gone through that phase....one even did the whole mountain beard thing once. My youngest had that scraggly looking wannabe goatee. It looked like a few hairs looking for a leader. We live out in the sticks and all their friends did the same. I hate it but every generation has their thing.

Got that rugged "Marine" chin! Why hide it.

th

I remember growing my first mustache. My dad asked me how long I'd been sick? I said I'm not sick". He said "Then why is your nose running?"

:owned: by my dad!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Got that rugged "Marine" chin! Why hide it.

th

I remember growing my first mustache. My dad asked me how long I'd been sick? I said I'm not sick". He said "Then why is your nose running?"

:owned: by my dad!

I grew up in the 60’s and early 70’s. I grew my hair long as was the trend with my generation. My dad was a retired USMC 1stSgt and then a Sheriff’s deputy. Wore a flat top for decades and hated long hair. Used to introduce me to his friends as his daughter.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I grew up in the 60’s and early 70’s. I grew my hair long as was the trend with my generation. My dad was a retired USMC 1stSgt and then a Sheriff’s deputy. Wore a flat top for decades and hated long hair. Used to introduce me to his friends as his daughter.
Your dad and my dad are prolly having a beer in heaven right now.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Your dad and my dad are prolly having a beer in heaven right now.
I'm a late '60's early '70's guy where growing up is concerned, so I can relate to the hair problems of that time. My Granddaddy raised me and he absolutely hated the long hair and never let me have it. When I was in Jr. High, I got a little daring and put off going to the barber shop. Hair started getting over my ears and curling up. Granddad noticed and reminded me to get it cleaned up. I conveniently forgot again and he didn't say anything, so I'm thinking "I've won!" This was during the fall of the year and he told me that on the upcoming Thursday he would pick me up as soon as school let out and we would go to a dove shoot that afternoon (this was something I loved about as much as anything). He would bring my gun, vest, and shells.

I could hardly pay attention in class that Thursday thinking about shooting the birds and the farm we were going to always had a ton to shoot. My last class I sat by the window and saw him drive up and park. As soon as the bell rang, I sprinted to his pickup and jumped in and we took off for the shoot. Only we were heading uptown. When I asked him where we were going, he said "We've got a stop to make!" When he pulled up in front of Mr. Sam McMillan's Barber Shop, I knew what was fixing to happen. I got mounted in the seat and Mr. Sam asked me "Son, how do you want it cut?" Before I could answer, my Granddad answered "Get it all!" I came out of there looking like I was starting basic training. To make matters worse, school pictures were the next week! All he said to me was "Don't make me have to tell you twice to do something again!" Life lesson imparted!

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I'm a late '60's early '70's guy where growing up is concerned, so I can relate to the hair problems of that time. My Granddaddy raised me and he absolutely hated the long hair and never let me have it. When I was in Jr. High, I got a little daring and put off going to the barber shop. Hair started getting over my ears and curling up. Granddad noticed and reminded me to get it cleaned up. I conveniently forgot again and he didn't say anything, so I'm thinking "I've won!" This was during the fall of the year and he told me that on the upcoming Thursday he would pick me up as soon as school let out and we would go to a dove shoot that afternoon (this was something I loved about as much as anything). He would bring my gun, vest, and shells.

I could hardly pay attention in class that Thursday thinking about shooting the birds and the farm we were going to always had a ton to shoot. My last class I sat by the window and saw him drive up and park. As soon s the bell rang, I sprinted to his pickup and jumped in and we took off for the shoot. Only we were heading uptown. When I asked him where we were going, he said "We've got a stop to make!" When he pulled up in front of Mr. Sam McMillan's Barber Shop, I knew what was fixing to happen. I got mounted in the seast and mr. Sam asked me "Son, how do you want it cut?" Before I could answer, my Granddad answered "Get it all!" I came out of there looking like I was starting basic training. To make matters worse, school pictures were the next week! All he said to me was "Don't make me have to tell you twice to do something again!" Life lesson imparted!

My dad cut me and my brothers hair until we got to high school. Every Saturday morning like clockwork. We dreaded it. It was basically a high n tight for years. In high school we rebelled a little and grew it out. Funny though we both went into the Marine Corps ourselves and kept it tight ever since.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I could hardly pay attention in class that Thursday thinking about shooting the birds and the farm we were going to always had a ton to shoot. My last class I sat by the window and saw him drive up and park. As soon s the bell rang, I sprinted to his pickup and jumped in and we took off for the shoot. Only we were heading uptown. When I asked him where we were going, he said "We've got a stop to make!" When he pulled up in front of Mr. Sam McMillan's Barber Shop, I knew what was fixing to happen. I got mounted in the seast and mr. Sam asked me "Son, how do you want it cut?" Before I could answer, my Granddad answered "Get it all!" I came out of there looking like I was starting basic training. To make matters worse, school pictures were the next week! All he said to me was "Don't make me have to tell you twice to do something again!" Life lesson imparted!
Great story! He'd get referred to CPS if he did that today. :sadnanner:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
How did I miss the trip down memory lane. Like yall, dad cut our hair and one was called the burr head. It was all about a half inch long. Finally, let us have some hair in Jr high. I was a Sr in 72/73. Grew up near Gville so long hair and bell bottoms were around. I grew my hair long in 12th grade. My new coach was ok with it. Nobody ever fckd with me about it. Graduated and went to construction work in Venice Fla. HOTTTTTT weather and the long hair came off. Long hair was sorta like your first personal decision. Main thing was "did gals like it" or at least the gals you were interested in.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
My dad cut me and my brothers hair until we got to high school. Every Saturday morning like clockwork. We dreaded it. It was basically a high n tight for years. In high school we rebelled a little and grew it out. Funny though we both went into the Marine Corps ourselves and kept it tight ever since.
I too keep it cut 0 all around except on top.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014

One of my best friends in high school, who is now a sheriff in a Florida county was a marine. And he used to laugh that my hair was always shorter than his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb