Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Missouri

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Among the story lines for our game against SECE opponent (and recent nemesis) Missouri, the quest for a 10th win and an upswing heading into the regular season finale against rival and now bowl eligible F$U had to garner top billing. For some, the lingering disappointment of losses to UGA and LSU took a little shine off of the penny. But there has to be merit in finishing the drill, especially if we are in fact a program climbing back toward the top. 10 wins with a chance for 11 isn't quite as sporty as it was prior to the CFP, but some credit is deserved for a team on the cusp of this mark that has positioned themselves with a very one-dimensional offense. Beside that, pride should never go out of style, should it?

Of course it would be boorish for us to look past the always tough Tigers, led by regarded Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant. As feared, Mizzou gave us fits in the first half, sacking Trask several times (4 according to Mick) and stymying the rush (to nobody's surprise) with 5 tackles for loss. Their coverage game was better than imagined. As a result, our normally potent air attack was nulled and the half ended with us only having scored 2 FGs. On the bright side, the D and Greenard (6 tackles and 2 sacks, several pressures) was effective against Bryant and the Tiger's offense, limiting them to a bank shot FG. It wasn't much of a lead, but if you believe in the power of stats, Mizzou doesn't win when trailing at the half. Still, it might have been hard to find any comfort knowing that bit of info.

The second half was different for the offense. Trask, while still pressured, was able to find Hammonds and Perine in the left corner of the end zone on two drives and like that we had a two score lead. The defense kept the pressure on Bryant and stuffed the run (Missouri finished the game with 52 rushing yards), surrendering only a FG. The game ended 23-6 and the specter of past failings against the Tigers was vanquished. Still two more boxes to check on the amended goal sheet.

*Trask is resilient if nothing else. He looked to be able to shake off the sacks and pressures of the touchdown bereft first half and led us to a couple of scores that would be more than enough to secure win #10. For the day he was 23/35 for 282 yards. If there's a knock on his performance, it would be two telegraphed throws that should have been picks. Luckily they weren't and his effectiveness and leadership remains a season bright spot.

*The ball was distributed to 9 different receivers, led by Jefferson's 5 catches. This group is consistently good. Among the highlights were the two TD receptions by Hammonds and Perine respectively. There should have been a third by Toney on a nice toss by Trask, but unfortunately he couldn't hang on to it. Still a little rust I guess. Grimes' penalties were disappointing and out of character. Hope it was just an anomaly.

*EJ was our leading rusher (39 yards I believe) while Perine, Pierce, and Davis combined for less. Our team total was 58 for the game. Obviously the sacks allowed affected this total, but even adding these lost 17, we were still well below a hundred. Our offense could easily play the part of the mysterious one-armed man in the old David Jansen series "The Fugitive."

*While on the subject of EJ, there is some concern that if he doesn't get more meaningful snaps, he'll bolt for greener pastures. Could definitely present problems, but Trask is the guy. While I doubt he would be offended sharing more snaps, I don't think Mullen will risk disturbing the established rhythm much more than what we see. I do think EJ's primary value is running the ball, but he was able to throw a nice ball to Toney today, so who knows what the next two games might hold in this regard.

*We all know that it was Mizzou and not UGA or LSU, but Dr. Pressure had a good plan and we had a consistent and effective rush today against a pretty talented QB. Would have liked to have seen more than the 2 sacks registered, but the guy was pretty slippery. We covered well enough and kept them out of the end zone. Wilson's late INT was a nice cherry. As mentioned, we stopped the run and were pretty good against them on 3rd downs. Similar execution against better opponents is a goal moving forward.

*Wasn't it nice to be on the positive side of the official reviews?

*My blood pressure has been pretty stable lately, so I won't talk about the OL. Anyhow, my cuss jar is overflowing, so...

It seems that the local Nole faithful, despite the reported rebuff from Coach Stoops the elder, are feeling some better about their Taggart-less renegades under the guidance of long-time assistant and now aspiring HC Odell Haggins. To be sure, they'll be better than if Willie was still in charge, but if we execute our offensive and defensive plans and don't allow turnovers to become a factor, we will be able to take care of business. Regardless of how disappointed we are with our lot this season or how bad we think the F$U program is, this game is always played, as Johnny Ringo might say, "for blood!" No looking past. No let down. We are their Huckleberries. Let's get it done.

Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
At what point in the game did you stop getting excited when one of our defenders had a clean shot at Mizzou’s QB?

3rd whiff? 4th?

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At what point in the game did you stop getting excited when one of our defenders had a clean shot at Mizzou’s QB?

3rd whiff? 4th?

Alex.
I guess that's why Clemson had him to begin with. Yeah, it was a little disappointing that we didn't get hold of him more, but we did keep him contained for the most part and his legs didn't hurt us too badly other than extending some pass plays. We held them under 20, which was another indicator of futility for them in terms of winning and losing. Wasn't a perfect 10, but mission accomplished.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I guess that's why Clemson had him to begin with. Yeah, it was a little disappointing that we didn't get hold of him more, but we did keep him contained for the most part and his legs didn't hurt us too badly other than extending some pass plays. We held them under 20, which was another indicator of futility for them in terms of winning and losing. Wasn't a perfect 10, but mission accomplished.
I think CDM could win big with him.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Among the story lines for our game against SECE opponent (and recent nemesis) Missouri, the quest for a 10th win and an upswing heading into the regular season finale against rival and now bowl eligible F$U had to garner top billing. For some, the lingering disappointment of losses to UGA and LSU took a little shine off of the penny. But there has to be merit in finishing the drill, especially if we are in fact a program climbing back toward the top. 10 wins with a chance for 11 isn't quite as sporty as it was prior to the CFP, but some credit is deserved for a team on the cusp of this mark that has positioned themselves with a very one-dimensional offense. Beside that, pride should never go out of style, should it?

Of course it would be boorish for us to look past the always tough Tigers, led by regarded Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant. As feared, Mizzou gave us fits in the first half, sacking Trask several times (4 according to Mick) and stymying the rush (to nobody's surprise) with 5 tackles for loss. Their coverage game was better than imagined. As a result, our normally potent air attack was nulled and the half ended with us only having scored 2 FGs. On the bright side, the D and Greenard (6 tackles and 2 sacks, several pressures) was effective against Bryant and the Tiger's offense, limiting them to a bank shot FG. It wasn't much of a lead, but if you believe in the power of stats, Mizzou doesn't win when trailing at the half. Still, it might have been hard to find any comfort knowing that bit of info.

The second half was different for the offense. Trask, while still pressured, was able to find Hammonds and Perine in the left corner of the end zone on two drives and like that we had a two score lead. The defense kept the pressure on Bryant and stuffed the run (Missouri finished the game with 52 rushing yards), surrendering only a FG. The game ended 23-6 and the specter of past failings against the Tigers was vanquished. Still two more boxes to check on the amended goal sheet.

*Trask is resilient if nothing else. He looked to be able to shake off the sacks and pressures of the touchdown bereft first half and led us to a couple of scores that would be more than enough to secure win #10. For the day he was 23/35 for 282 yards. If there's a knock on his performance, it would be two telegraphed throws that should have been picks. Luckily they weren't and his effectiveness and leadership remains a season bright spot.

*The ball was distributed to 9 different receivers, led by Jefferson's 5 catches. This group is consistently good. Among the highlights were the two TD receptions by Hammonds and Perine respectively. There should have been a third by Toney on a nice toss by Trask, but unfortunately he couldn't hang on to it. Still a little rust I guess. Grimes' penalties were disappointing and out of character. Hope it was just an anomaly.

*EJ was our leading rusher (39 yards I believe) while Perine, Pierce, and Davis combined for less. Our team total was 58 for the game. Obviously the sacks allowed affected this total, but even adding these lost 17, we were still well below a hundred. Our offense could easily play the part of the mysterious one-armed man in the old David Jansen series "The Fugitive."

*While on the subject of EJ, there is some concern that if he doesn't get more meaningful snaps, he'll bolt for greener pastures. Could definitely present problems, but Trask is the guy. While I doubt he would be offended sharing more snaps, I don't think Mullen will risk disturbing the established rhythm much more than what we see. I do think EJ's primary value is running the ball, but he was able to throw a nice ball to Toney today, so who knows what the next two games might hold in this regard.

*We all know that it was Mizzou and not UGA or LSU, but Dr. Pressure had a good plan and we had a consistent and effective rush today against a pretty talented QB. Would have liked to have seen more than the 2 sacks registered, but the guy was pretty slippery. We covered well enough and kept them out of the end zone. Wilson's late INT was a nice cherry. As mentioned, we stopped the run and were pretty good against them on 3rd downs. Similar execution against better opponents is a goal moving forward.

*Wasn't it nice to be on the positive side of the official reviews?

*My blood pressure has been pretty stable lately, so I won't talk about the OL. Anyhow, my cuss jar is overflowing, so...

It seems that the local Nole faithful, despite the reported rebuff from Coach Stoops the elder, are feeling some better about their Taggart-less renegades under the guidance of long-time assistant and now aspiring HC Odell Haggins. To be sure, they'll be better than if WiLLLLLLLie was still in charge, but if we execute our offensive and defensive plans and don't allow turnovers to become a factor, we will be able to take care of business. Regardless of how disappointed we are with our lot this season or how bad we think the F$U program is, this game is always, as Johnny Ringo might say, "for blood!" No looking past. No let down. We are their Huckleberries. Let's get it done.

Go Gators!

:chomp:

Very well written, Cover! You've developed one helluva knack for imagery and voice.

The only part I'd maybe refute is that Mullen has an "established rhythm". He seems to go out of his way to make sure we don't develop one. It blows my mind to see either Trask or EJ lead us down the field with a hot hand, and Mullen pull one for the other... only to watch us stall. It's maddening. Especially when we were actually going down the field vertically.

At this point, all that matters is that we CRUSH fsux, and close strong on the trail.

Go Gators!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very well written, Cover! You've developed one helluva knack for imagery and voice.

The only part I'd maybe refute is that Mullen has an "established rhythm". He seems to go out of his way to make sure we don't develop one. It blows my mind to see either Trask or EJ lead us down the field with a hot hand, and Mullen pull one for the other... only to watch us stall. It's maddening. Especially when we were actually going down the field vertically.

At this point, all that matters is that we CRUSH fsux, and close strong on the trail.

Go Gators!
Thanks Bayou. Can't disagree, as I do feel arhythmic sometimes in the instances you mention ;)

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

I don’t know what it is, but I wish our QBs had it.

Alex.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Great write up.

Have you noticed that the OL looks way better when EJ is in, specifically with run blocking. I realize that’s the influence of EJ but it makes one wonder how much of a detrimental influence Trask inability to challenge the defense on the ground is to the offense. EJ’s arm doesn’t look too bad either. That was a nice pass to Toney.

That said, not advocating for a swap but just thinking out loud. Trask is clearly a team leader and a wonderful story. Just want a running game to go with our QB.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
...but it makes one wonder how much of a detrimental influence Trask inability to challenge the defense on the ground is to the offense.
Some might say this missing piece is really the essence of Dan Mullen's offense. Part of the arts and science of football coaching is shaping what you do to fit who you've got, at least until you get who want or need. I think Mullen's done fairly well in this regard. If EJ sticks around for all of his eligibility, we may yet see Coach's vision of his offense before us.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Great write up.

Have you noticed that the OL looks way better when EJ is in, specifically with run blocking. I realize that’s the influence of EJ but it makes one wonder how much of a detrimental influence Trask inability to challenge the defense on the ground is to the offense. EJ’s arm doesn’t look too bad either. That was a nice pass to Toney.

That said, not advocating for a swap but just thinking out loud. Trask is clearly a team leader and a wonderful story. Just want a running game to go with our QB.
Definitely. Heggie is one of the weakest links in the chain when it comes to our OL play. Most times you see a run stuffed, he's close by just standing there. The inside pressure also seemed to reduce when he was out of the game. Im not sure if he's hurt or if he just regressed, but he shouldnt be starting.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Great write up.

I love Trask so don't anyone get me wrong here but he looks better BECAUSE of the luxury we have at WR. He still has some footwork issues that he gets away with because we have so many guys to cover in our empty sets.

The big question going forward(next year) is the effect of losing the ultra reliable Jefferson, Hammond and Swain. We've seen defenses take away Pitts over the last month of the season and these 3 have picked up the slack big time.....Let me say that while Cleveland hasn't put up big numbers the last 2 years he also is a leader and has a few important 3rd down catches also...he's gone too..

So the question begs does Trask take a step backwards next year the way Franks did without a running game to hide his weakness before getting hurt this season? If so how long before Mullen would make a move to EJ and go back to his default offense? If so has he had enough passing reps to be truly effective at both phases to keep defenses from selling out?

It's the million dollar question I want to know.....

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
So the question begs does Trask take a step backwards next year the way Franks did without a running game to hide his weakness before getting hurt this season? If so how long before Mullen would make a move to EJ and go back to his default offense? If so has he had enough passing reps to be truly effective at both phases to keep defenses from selling out?

Possibly, but perhaps with less people sharing snaps we see someone step up like Jacobs in '02. We still have Grimes, Pitts, Toney, Copeland, maybe Wells becomes something like we hear about each Spring, Marks, Zipperer, Gamble and Krull and I'm sure I'm missing someone. We've lived on 3 good receivers with some decent back ups before, we can again. The line should be better, but the key word there is should.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks Cover, always a good read with my morning coffee!

Random thoughts from a good day of football,

On EJ redzone run to the right, the OL looked liked they just stopped. If they keep moving EJ might have gotten to the edge. EJ brings a quickness that our backs don’t have, so why slow developing plays...

Always thought CDM offense was predicated on better athletes and speed. We have endurance, not sure about speed and power. The receivers are certainly getting better on high pointing balls ad locking them in their hands. But 50/50 balls are well, ... the scheme has always bothered me style wise, but hey, if it works for him. On the one sweep, perfect example of why I don’t like them, the DE was way upfield and just swallowed it. #blocking

KT had two that should have been 6 the other way. On EJ, if he is in and driving, why always pull him on 3rd down? Oh damn, Perine can really catch.

Can we keep Greenard a few more years? Diabate seems to read plays and be in his assignment. Some work on the tackling end, but some more weight will help him out. Speed and reading the plays is a good start! Tackling as a whole was suspect. Marco did have some better contact yesterday.

Go Gators,

lets try to stay focused and be up to start a game! Hanging 50 on SOW would be soooo nice

Last edited:

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Reminds me of A&M game in 1st half when we over pursued Manziel. When we stayed between him & the line of scrimmage, that sh!t stopped in the 2nd half. IMHO that the only way you can deal with a running QB.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Great as always, cover! I'd love to see you replace the guys on the Gville Sun who long ago became "retired on active duty." I also wonder what it would be like to have you in the booth with Mick as the color guy. You have both the expertise and a way with words. Glad we have you here!

You forgot to mention Pitts' drop for a TD. Contested, but dude normally has glue hands.

We got one or two favorable calls, but also got hosed on a non-facemask (replay showed Carter had a fistful of Jersey at his shoulder pad) and the late hit where Diabate clearly pulled up and barely made contact.

Somebody let donkey in the booth, arguing that Perine catching with his body instead of his hands was proof it wasn't a TD catch. Sarcasm, but those bozos wouldn't let that detail go, as if it mattered.

And we're gonna miss Greenard.

Other things to say, but I think already covered here. Glad for the win and glad to see this team play hard even though the East race was all but over.

Go Gators!!!

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The only exception I could take to your customarily excellent take was the "resilient if nothing else" comment about Trask. IMO, he is a good deal more than merely resilient, especially when viewed against the backdrop of near total misery that has characterized QB play at UF for the last decade. Just saying.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I love Trask so don't anyone get me wrong here but he looks better BECAUSE of the luxury we have at WR. He still has some footwork issues that he gets away with because we have so many guys to cover in our empty sets.

The big question going forward(next year) is the effect of losing the ultra reliable Jefferson, Hammond and Swain. We've seen defenses take away Pitts over the last month of the season and these 3 have picked up the slack big time.....Let me say that while Cleveland hasn't put up big numbers the last 2 years he also is a leader and has a few important 3rd down catches also...he's gone too..

I think any QB would badly miss the group you mentioned - without some guys stepping up big time (Copeland, Grimes, others?) or an influx of high grade talent via the GT route. Perhaps an equally important question is whether or not we can field a respectable/functional SEC OL next year. Without some good news on both fronts, we may be looking at a serious regression in the O, regardless of who plays QB. Of course I hope for the best, but I've learned not to get my hopes up too far.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks But 50/50 balls are well, ... the scheme has always bothered me style wise, but hey, if it works for him...

On the one sweep, perfect example of why I don’t like them, the DE was way upfield and just swallowed it. #blocking

What bothers me about 50/50 balls is how many teams have burned US over the last decade. If it works
for everybody else, it's about time we had a coach willing to trust our big WRs, too.

By the "one sweep," are you referring to Toney's 25 yard gain? No play works every time, unless it works 80% of the time...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Very smart dissection-analysis, you Covered it. Thank you.
Trask has been durable. He's endured too many sacks, but I've not seen even a limp. He hasn't in the least got gunshy. Film study better wake up them OLers to the risk that their languid footwork is placing on Trask. Every hard sack could mean a fumble, a throw bad enough for an INT, a Trask injury.

Team Total 58 rush yards cannot repeat! Coach-staff has let this go too long.
Gotta let EJ have full TD drives - including his passing attack.
Way too many slipped tackles due to no dynamic arms wrap - snatch-hug the bum!
We've got a good chance to outperform Mullen's first year getting an 11-2 season versus 2018's 10-3.

At what point in the game did you stop getting excited when one of our defenders had a clean shot at Mizzou’s QB?..... 3rd whiff? 4th?
Alex.

Bryant is slippery but many guys just hit his legs without wrapping up. Sure was frustrating and worrisome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb