Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Mizzou

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have a confession...we're on a mini-vacation in Dillard GA. Watched the 1st half of the game and was really pissed at what I saw from us offensively. So much so that I agreed to go to Helen GA and listen to the remainder on c2 jr's phone. OK, so they were celebrating Oktoberfest, but I was still irate with the O performance! A nice large stein of Eidinger Weiss Brau did help dull my pain, however.

I haven't read any of the posts, so forgive any redundancy. I did look at a few stats that were concerning (another Eidiger, please). So here goes:
  • For a while, it looked like our best offense was actually our defense. Of course, they actually played their part pretty well, in the first half that is. They held the "vaunted" Tiger O and their SEC-leading QB in check (5 consecutive 3-and-outs, 2 pick-sixes). Then, as if on cue, Mizzou began gnashing us on the ground. Mercifully, the half ended. Unfortunately, our penchant for lacsidasical defensive play when leading in the 2nd half continued and we conceded 250+ to the Tigers on the ground. To me, this is as much a coaching problem that has not been properly addressed and corrected as it is a player issue. Not a characteristic of a winning program, especially against a bad Missouri team.
  • I owe Austin Appleby an apology, as I was looking forward to the return of Luke. What a performance :headslap:. If I was King Arthur, I'd dub him "Sir Underthrow." He should have been picked 5 or 6 times. We can't really expect to beat a quality team, especially if they load up to stop the run, with QB play like this. Mac said that he really ate him up post game. Well, he should have. I'm going to Jax for the first time since '93 and I'll really be pissed if we cough up a hair ball against the dogs behind this type of QB performance. Another defensive decline won't help matters either. Sheesh!
  • Although Thompson and Perine had some good runs and Scarlett fumbled on the goal line (or thereabouts), I'm past tired of the committee approach. Scarlett is our best back. I also tried to pay attention to him in pass pro. He didn't look lost and made some blocks, though a few of the OL guys did their best turnstile impersonations quite often (Sharpe and Jordan, I'm talking to you), and he couldn't pick them all up. My theory is that Mac fears hurting some of their feelings. If so, he should know that running 2nd and 3rd string should motivate those players to work harder to get better.
  • Speaking of offense, can someone tell me why we passed so much on 1st down? Also, why did we stretch or sweep to the short side of the field so often? I can only scratch my head.
  • F***ing penalties. How many procedure penalties do we have to get before they are corrected? Sharpe seemed to have one every other play, but I guess he needed a head start to keep the Tiger DE from eating his @ss up. Callaway with two in the 1st half. It defies football logic.
  • Hope Davis is ok. Saw where his MRI revealed no broken bones. Kid was pretty salty today. He exploded past blockers and ate up the Tiger backs on several occasions. He and Anzalone are a good pair. Gotta stay healthy, though.
  • Patchwork DL looked pretty good in the 1st half, especially CeCe at DE (he's too light in the @ss to play inside right now). I think we've got some good young guys in this group, they just need seasoning. But let's be clear, they really aren't guys you'd expect to come in and shut down the likes of Bama as freshmen. Again, they need seasoning and we need to recruit some guys that can bring an immediate impact against the best on the schedule.
This didn't feel like a good win to me (even though I'm glad we got one) and Tennessee is trying their best to give us the east, but I won't be shocked if we give it back. Don't misunderstand, I want us to win every time we strap it on, but what I'm seeing this season so far tells me we lack that certain something at this point and haven't really shown any signs of turning it around. For what seems like the hundredth time, we aren't good enough to play like we are playing, especially hitting the kill switch on D in the 2nd half and sputtering on O more often than not. And it seems like we refuse to get it. Nevertheless, Go Gators! Rest up and please, see the need for corrections...and make them before it's too late and we lose some games we really need to win!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Crockett really gashed us running between the tackles. Over and over he shot through the middle of the line and I was holding my breath hoping a safety would make a TD saving tackle.

Gotta agree with C2 on LDR's dangerous throws. Mizzou dropped 2 more easy INTs.

Also equally mystified as to why we didn't run more on first down and why we were running stretch plays to the short side of the field.

On the bright side, Tyrie Cleveland looks like the real deal.

Alex.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Crockett really gashed us running between the tackles. Over and over he shot through the middle of the line and I was holding my breath hoping a safety would make a TD saving tackle.

Alex.
Yes he did. I can't understand why we can't play two halves of good defensive football.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JFC, Cover. You are always on vacation. Must be nice.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JFC, Cover. You are always on vacation. Must be nice.
On fall break. Otherwise we do a lot of weekenders. I'm closer to the end than I am the beginning. The kids are growing up and time for family vacations is starting to get scarce. I missed a lot of these opportunities when I was coaching. Can't get them back. Want to make the most of what's left. Don't make my mistakes.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I reacted to this game like other posters here. LDR reminds me of Larry Ochab back in the day, when the Gators were down to nobody and desperate, and got this guy (walk-on) on the field. He gave it his all but had absolutely 0 talent at QB. All the fluff we were fed about LDR was just that, he's Ochab revisited, wants to work hard and do good but just doesn't have the arm or the mental tools to not do stupid things. Like under-throw into double and triple coverages, constantly. And he cannot run a yard. Love the guy's heart, but he just isn't who we were waiting for. Might as well give all the QBs some 1's time in practice and see who can cut the mustard. I must say, the QB's coach has done a piss-poor job as Appleby isn't really any better. The QB for the Fighting Gators should at least know how to read a defense and make a 10-yard throw. Holy crap.

The O-line is still the biggest problem. Ours is mediocre at best and not improving much. We need a coaching change here, ASAP.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I reacted to this game like other posters here. LDR reminds me of Larry Ochab back in the day, when the Gators were down to nobody and desperate, and got this guy (walk-on) on the field. He gave it his all but had absolutely 0 talent at QB. All the fluff we were fed about LDR was just that, he's Ochab revisited, wants to work hard and do good but just doesn't have the arm or the mental tools to not do stupid things. Like under-throw into double and triple coverages, constantly. And he cannot run a yard. Love the guy's heart, but he just isn't who we were waiting for. Might as well give all the QBs some 1's time in practice and see who can cut the mustard. I must say, the QB's coach has done a piss-poor job as Appleby isn't really any better. The QB for the Fighting Gators should at least know how to read a defense and make a 10-yard throw. Holy crap.

The O-line is still the biggest problem. Ours is mediocre at best and not improving much. We need a coaching change here, ASAP.

Applely has been mediocre for 4 years elsewhere. I am not sure what sort of magic fairy dust you expect our QB coaches to sprinkle.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On fall break. Otherwise we do a lot of weekenders. I'm closer to the end than I am the beginning. The kids are growing up and time for family vacations is starting to get scarce. I missed a lot of these opportunities when I was coaching. Can't get them back. Want to make the most of what's left. Don't make my mistakes.
I get it, big guy. Just giving you shït. I've got two youngins so there aren't many vacations or weekend getaways and instead grands come to us.

As for the game, is there a chance LDR was playing tight due to previous injury? If the upper class QB are so bad, why didn't/don't we play a freshman? There are so many freshman killing it on a lot of good teams in Power 5 Conferences. That QB for Wisky was really good.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Applely has been mediocre for 4 years elsewhere. I am not sure what sort of magic fairy dust you expect our QB coaches to sprinkle.
But but but

Qb Whisperer and offensive gurus who can make 3 stars into 5 stars.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think LDRs knee is still bothering him. He wasn't stepping into any of his throws and his already mediocre arm isn't strong enough to make so many flat footed or back footed throws. He only threw one pass that had any heat and it was while rolling left he was able to throw off his right foot.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I get it, big guy. Just giving you shït. I've got two youngins so there aren't many vacations or weekend getaways and instead grands come to us.

As for the game, is there a chance LDR was playing tight due to previous injury? If the upper class QB are so bad, why didn't/don't we play a freshman? There are so many freshman killing it on a lot of good teams in Power 5 Conferences. That QB for Wisky was really good.
My sentiments exactly. Del Rio was horrendous. He under threw everybody, even those that managed to catch the ball. The only receiver hit in stride was the TE on one pass. I know Trask can pass circles around him but it is obvious that Hee Haw has no intention of trying anybody else. God he was awful.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I know you were. Kinda back at you a little, but I'm serious about making the time. It's difficult when you are young in family, but try and make as much time as you can. It's important later on.

I think the knee was probably stiff at the least, but when you've already got a pop gun and can't plant properly, as Zambo alluded, weak under throws are magnified. You mention the freshmen, which some have been clamoring for a while, even though I didn't want to see them regular too early on, I think now might be a good time, Trask at least.

I think Mac 'understands' millennials.
That might be a problem in itself ;). I think it's great to understand them, but accepting the characteristics of that generation that are contrary to playing winning football is more of a coaching weakness I think.

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Being a get off my yard guy I'd agree.

Personally I didn't think we looked worse than I thought other than LDR weak passes.

Our 2nd stringers are pretty weak on Defense.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But but but

Qb Whisperer and offensive gurus who can make 3 stars into 5 stars.

I have come to the conclusion that Mac can't coach.
I think many of us were initially inspired by the good start last year. "Maybe we got something that's better than the last guy and can lead us back to respectability" was the sentiment going into the SECCG. Things have kind of been unraveling since. To me Mac is exposing himself as too laid back where some important player expectations are concerned and probably staff as well. I think some were feeling that earlier than others, but many have now come to a similar conclusion. As has been stated many times of late, and accurately I believe, Mac will sink or swim with the next recruiting cycle and another related factor will likely be some quality transfers we'll likely have to rely on. Some necessary staff moves are important as well.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Mac will not hand over the controls to a freshman until UF is realistically eliminated from the SEC East title. Probably two more losses.

Despite the infuriating false starts, Jawaan Taylor at right tackle does some impressive stuff. On a couple of plays he plowed through a defender like they were rag dolls.

LDR was for the most part atrocious. This was just his fourth start as a collegian and he has yet to start away from BHG stadium. It may get worse before it gets better.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Being a get off my yard guy I'd agree.

Personally I didn't think we looked worse than I thought other than LDR weak passes.

Our 2nd stringers are pretty weak on Defense.
We did some good things, especially 1st half defensively. We scored points, even if 3 scores were defense/special teams. But we faded, again, in the 2nd half defensively and save good rushing games by Scarlett and Perine, we were inconsistent offensively at best. LDR didn't look physically ready to be out there and I don't think he read route progressions well. OL was what they've shown us. Spec teams...not much to jump up and down about. Sounds like sacrilege, but it not a win that got me overly excited. Missouri was not real good. But a conference should probably better cherished than I'm giving it right now. I should remember GA Southern I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator