Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Ole Miss

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by cover2, Sep 26, 2020.

1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,198
    Ratings:
    +12,699 / -26
    I think the running game prospects are better this year with the bit of improvement we saw with the OL and, maybe more importantly, how Trask, Pitts, et al can carve up a defense. 4 receivers of the caliber we can line up are gonna command 2 high pretty regular (considering down and distance and field position). We’ve got a chance to block their 5 this year where before we couldn’t with any consistency. EJ gave us an extra blocker or decoy (RB) last year which helped him be effective running. Plus he’s pretty fast and shifty. Good change of pace. Right now, I don’t know that we need that as much, but we could down the road. We’ll see.

As for the passing game you were watching yesterday...yes, you were hallucinating. Years of psychotropic drug abuse stays with you forever :).All kidding aside, my take is that we likely witnessed Mullen having reached a higher level of trust with his QB. I’d have to go back and count to be sure, but I believe we attacked vertically more than we have the past two seasons. Part of that imo is due to Trask’s willingness to ride the pocket as long as possible so that separation can occur and / or combo routes develop. Trusting your OL and overall pass pro is a requirement that was fulfilled. Maybe Brian Johnson had some influence :dunno:. Whatever the cause, me likee. It’s just one more way to attack and also unclog other areas of the offense.

• gatormandan

gatormandan Donk Killa
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $6,449
      Ratings:
      +12,654 / -436
      Yes I saw plenty of downfield passes. The seam route toss to Cope was a thing of beauty until the defender took it away.

• B52G8rAC

B52G8rAC Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,356
        Ratings:
        +1,995 / -91
        Wait a minute; I wear pink all the time. Actually salmon; real men don't wear pink or eat quiche.

• B52G8rAC

B52G8rAC Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,356
          Ratings:
          +1,995 / -91
          Have to share this memory (so few are left). I was stationed in Montgomery Al when Georgia was coming to Auburn and Herschel was the RB. The book "Real Men don't eat Quiche" was on the best sellers' list. The Montgomery paper had letters and articles saying Herschel eats quiche. On Saturday, he simply single handedly killed Auburn. Sunday morning the headline was, "Herschel Walker can eat anything he wants." Loved living in Alabama during football season.

• Funny Funny x 4
          • Like Like x 2
          • List
          • NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR Deep Behind Enemy Lines
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $7,790
            Ratings:
            +8,965 / -808
            Spot on summary...Thanks.

• GatorTruth133

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $2,889
              Ratings:
              +3,426 / -67
              I mean if we are talking about garbage time play, yes. As far as throwing him in just to shoehorn him in, no. A package here or there, fine, but like Cover 2 said, let's not force it. We saw that some in Baton Rouge last year and it did throw off the offensive flow. EJ right now has more experience playing while the game is still in the balance than about any back up that didn't start games due to injury.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
                Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                $7,833
                Ratings:
                +9,260 / -835
                It is not a question of how much experience he has had; it is a question of how much more experience he needs.

• GatorTruth133

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,889
                Ratings:
                +3,426 / -67
                I think the point being made is the where he gets that experience. I'll even go this far. At this point he has easily 2x the experience Trask had before taking over. Not saying he doesn't need more, but I don't think an offensive gameplan should even consider trying to get someone experience. A package to help win, yes. Putting someone in while the game is still in the balance for experience purposes? No.

• GatorJB

GatorJB Senior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,276
                  Ratings:
                  +3,926 / -34
                  Use EJ like they did Tebow in 06. Situationally, mostly in short yardage. We didn't have much garbage time in 06 because the offense couldn't separate. It looks like we won't have much garbage time this year because the defense may keep too many teams in games. That, and we aren't playing fsu and the other cream puffs.

• GatorTruth133

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,889
                    Ratings:
                    +3,426 / -67
                    I'm not convinced we won't see garbage time, even as soon as next Saturday. This Ole Miss offense is miles ahead of Carolina and the majority of offenses left on our schedule. Our defense wasn't good, but I don't think that enough credit is given to Kiffin and last year's #3 SEC offense. I've discussed this in more detail elsewhere.

• GatorJB

GatorJB Senior Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $2,276
                      Ratings:
                      +3,926 / -34
                      I agree that Ole Miss has one of, if not, the best offense on our schedule. It's just when you only play SEC games and no more lower tier FBS or FCS teams, then that automatically reduces your normal amount of garbage time. We have Arkansas and Vandy on our schedule, so that helps. It's been a long time since we've blown out South Carolina, but we should win comfortably. If not, then we're not as good as we think we are.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
                        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                        $7,833
                        Ratings:
                        +9,260 / -835
                        Who has suggested playing EJ with the game on the line? I want EJ to play with the first team with us holding a comfortable lead. Actually, I want AR to develop fast. I just don't have confidence in EJ. Think Franks. I am glad that he is an admirable fellow and a Gator.

• G8trwood

G8trwood Well-Known Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,299
                        Ratings:
                        +3,232 / -119
                        I’ll disagree here because of the Jinx factor!

We made a lot of QB look all world in recent years. Enough is enough.

Go Gators

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $63,025
                          Ratings:
                          +94,424 / -6,410
                          [​IMG]

honestly maybe it's a good thing for Mullinz to feel like he has to score a lot of points, so he will play last tight on offense.

2007 was probably my favorite year of his playcalling.

#54 Swamp Donkey, Sep 27, 2020
                          Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
                          • Like Like x 2
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • List
                          • Bernardo de la Paz

Bernardo de la Paz If you aren't a gator you are gator bait
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $1,776
                            Ratings:
                            +4,345 / -195
                            Even nicer was the fact that some of those receptions were beyond the line of scrimmage. Looks like he might be able to run routes well enough to get more PT this year.

• Sec14Gator

Sec14Gator Well-Known Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $2,962
                              Ratings:
                              +3,406 / -199
                              I'd compare it to HS or younger pitching. If the batter simply can't catch up to the fastball, don't bother letting them off the hook with a changeup. If EJ helps because the offense is stagnating and we need a change of pace, go for it. If not, don't.

I just rewatched the lines and linebackers on each teams' first few drives and here are some observations from that early period. Heggie looked great. Gouraige looked to be our second best lineman. Resse and Delance struggled in both run and pass blocking on several plays. At this point, the left side of our offense could be a strength and Ethan White's return could also be very helpful. Reese only looked good on one run blocking play - the Trask QB power on 2nd and goal from about the 5.

On defense, Dexter is already getting more push than any other d-lineman, though I'm not sure Slaton was on the field for many first drive plays (he and Carter are on at DT to start the second drive). Burney simply looks lost even trying to get off blocks. If he doesn't run around the blocker and avoid contact altogether, he cannot disengage. Dunlap was getting pushed a few yards back on almost all of his plays. Carter seems lost at DT, where he could be such a strength if given an edge to leverage. Cox is playing the Polite role of being very wide and just rushing. He was more active than I recalled though, having multiple tackles, including a sack that the announcers gave to ZC.

On the second drive, the 3rd and 19, Dean made a big play on second (he was in because Torrence's helmet came off), only to be pulled, while Stiner is seen look on at the next two deep passes for the first and then the TD. Elam gave up the TD in clear man coverage (he slipped on a double move), but it also looked as though Stiner definitely had deep middle help for Elam and was out of position by a solid 8-10 yards.

And Corral is ensuring he is never mistaken for an SEC QB, by posing as a meth head.

EJ in at only the second drive of the game is pretty inexplicable after how good we looked on the first drive.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $63,025
                                Ratings:
                                +94,424 / -6,410
                                I notice Dunlap playing poorly too. He played well as a true freshman. Im not sure what this says about our player development on the DL. How much is lack of coaching vs scheme? Hard to say.

A wide 9 rushbacker leaves a big lift for the other three? But allegedly they are one gapping regardless.

This scheme is just horrid for run defense. It is hard to imagine one worse.

• Homer J

Homer J Senior Member
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $1,680
                                  Ratings:
                                  +2,312 / -191
                                  I was hoping to see Richardson on a short yardage run, last Sat.

• GatorJB

GatorJB Senior Member
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $2,276
                                  Ratings:
                                  +3,926 / -34
                                  I'm sure the coaches would like to redshirt him if they can.

• Gator By Marriage

Gator By Marriage A convert to Gatorism
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $11,259
                                    Ratings:
                                    +12,917 / -209
                                    @Ancient Reptile I went and looked it up, it was Pierce who pancaked the blitzer on the long pass to Pitts. It's a good thing that that play resulted in a TD because Grimes was wide open and would have scored as well had Trask thrown it to him instead.
                                    In watching the highlights I was struck by how confident Trask was in making his throws. The TD to Grimes was particularly impressive as the DB had pretty good coverage and he put the ball in the perfect spot. This was also true on the last TDs of the two halves to Pitts. One was put where only Pitts could get it and the other took advantage of Pitts' athleticism. If this is what Trask is capable of week in and week out, this could be a really special offense this season.