Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Oregon State

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I understand that BN took over a Mullen shyt show. I understand the changes caused by the NIL. I understand the loss and turnover of players.

I appreciate the extra staff and facilities up grade.

However, I am totally flummoxed by the continued lack of discipline throughout the season, lack of basic fundamentals from the players, the complete hard headedness not to pass on first down no matter how many defensive players are in the box and the total lack of clock and game management. There are no acceptable excuses for this tripe.

Hopefully better days are ahead and I live that long, "in all kinds of weather" GO GATORS.

There’s a reason why there are 26 kids leaving the program this year.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Never get this down? How about Mac’s last season? Mullen’s last season? Muschamp’s last season? The year we lost to Georgia Southern and only won 4 games? When we learned MacElwain was getting hired? How about the time MacElstain was laughing DURING THE GAME when we were getting azz pounded by Georgia?

The list goes on and on.
Now do first year coaches. :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Never get this down? How about Mac’s last season? Mullen’s last season? Muschamp’s last season? The year we lost to Georgia Southern and only won 4 games? When we learned MacElwain was getting hired? How about the time MacElstain was laughing DURING THE GAME when we were getting azz pounded by Georgia?

The list goes on and on.
The end of this year was very much shades of the 2013 will muschamp year. Especially yesterday.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
For me, it's the near equivalent of allowing pro basketball, and especially hockey, players on our Olympic team... instant zero interest.
Disagree completely. If other teams are sending their pros, then we should too. The olympics should be about the best of the best competing. Send our best and let the chips fall where they may. If we crush all of our opponents, so be it.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed

Moreover I wonder how many of us, me included, will still be able to watch college football in a few years.

Like Cover said, I hate the NFL and yet I am starting to feel like I am watching it on Saturday’s now
I watch probably 10% of college football today than I did 20 years ago. I watch no pro sports today… hardly…occasionally a baseball or football game.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We have a bunch of women here. How quickly we forget the pain of Mushchump, Butters, and Cousin Eddie.
The Princess Bride Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Awesome job as usual Cover.
Not so awesome Gator play.
I do think bowls are now useless.

I am concerned it's not College Football that's now tainted, it's modern culture.

Pro Sports was the start. It will not shock me if CFB goes away. An NFL funded minor league with real $$$ is just around the corner.

CFB will be like college baseball. I think it's coming soon.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, Cover. I think we all hoped...and it is hope we've all been hanging on to...the season would be better. Better record, better stats, better play, better lots of things but instead too many times it's failed the eye test and has felt too familiar. And I know I'm not alone with that feeling.
However, I am still choosing to be hopeful for next year. Different landscape than in years past so it's hard to know what to expect. Go Gators

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good finish Cover.... This has been a tuff year for all of us. I'm glad you took a brief vacation but I'm more Proud that you found your balance and came back.
I love the posters on this Board but many of them are riding an emotional roller coaster regarding Gator Football and your "Take" on the games is a stabilizing influence.

I've learned that no one is universally loved and respected but that doesn't mean that the "calm, voice of reason", is not needed.

Here's a Toast and Salute to you my Friend.......... Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Awesome job as usual Cover.
Not so awesome Gator play.
I do think bowls are now useless.

I am concerned it's not College Football that's now tainted, it's modern culture.

Pro Sports was the start. It will not shock me if CFB goes away. An NFL funded minor league with real $$$ is just around the corner.

CFB will be like college baseball. I think it's coming soon.
Just remember this... and I've posted this before, and by "modern" you mean 1905 and 1950, right?

"College Football" started like flag football is now on campus, with teams only playing other teams on their own campus. It was intramural only. That then evolved to intermural to games between colleges/universities. Due to this, the NCAA was formed in 1905 for "the regulation and supervision of college athletics throughout the United States, in order that the athletic activities in colleges and universities of the United States may be maintained on an ethical plan in keeping with the dignity and high purpose of education." Then they added scholarships in 1950. Now we have what we have today.

It's doesn't have squat to do with "modern culture," NOLA. It has to do with business and money, which had been one-sided until now (other than the "gee, thanks for the scholarship!). Did I like it the "old way" better? Sure. But this has been a 100+ year process that is STARTING to culminate now.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Just remember this... and I've posted this before, and by "modern" you mean 1905 and 1950, right?

"College Football" started like flag football is now on campus, with teams only playing other teams on their own campus. It was intramural only. That then evolved to intermural to games between colleges/universities. Due to this, the NCAA was formed in 1905 for "the regulation and supervision of college athletics throughout the United States, in order that the athletic activities in colleges and universities of the United States may be maintained on an ethical plan in keeping with the dignity and high purpose of education." Then they added scholarships in 1950. Now we have what we have today.

It's doesn't have squat to do with "modern culture," NOLA. It has to do with business and money, which had been one-sided until now (other than the "gee, thanks for the scholarship!). Did I like it the "old way" better? Sure. But this has been a 100+ year process that is STARTING to culminate now.
Understood and agree.

My thoughts on modern culture are unchanged. It has everything to do with it. It's not about right and wrong, an education (maybe very few), pride, or tradition.

If the NFL started a minor league with decent $$$ watch what happens to CFB. Like you said, "it's business"

There is a reason teams like the U are pulling kids in.

Brother wake up. Even the military is vastly different from when my son was in and that was 12 years ago. He told me but I didn't believe him.

Times and culture have changed.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Detroitgator , the rub will be in the culmination, specifically how the game will become governed and managed. Will the NCAA be cast aside and the colleges and schools figure out a mechanism to be self governing? The NIL and portal/free agent shifts might suggest such. I don’t know. Not sure anyone does at the moment. Money will drive it, that much is pretty certain.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, since I'm not one of the major $$$$ donors I have no say in anything. All I can do is pay my measly portion to the Gator Collective and hope it makes a difference somehow. Other than that, I'm just hoping for improvement. I've given up hope for seeing any kind of championships here for a while. Apparently it just isn't that important to those that make the decisions these days.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve been on a death spiral since the end of 2010 and it just keeps getting worse and worse every year. 12 fuchsing year straight down hill.

Meyer was right all along. This team, this school’s football program is broken.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
We’ve been on a death spiral since the end of 2010 and it just keeps getting worse and worse every year. 12 fuchsing year straight down hill.

Meyer was right all along. This team, this school’s football program is broken.
Correction: Was broken

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.