Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • B

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • C

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Getting this up a little late after seeing it live at BHG. First one I've made in a few years since giving up my season tickets. The fact that it was a nooner worked in my favor and I enjoyed the trip down with c2 Jr. and two of my best friends. I'll have to admit that things didn't look too cheerful in the first half as the Cocks looked very efficient against us offensively on their first two scoring drives. They seemed to convert every third down, which were usually short yardage, and we were missing tackles to help them out. We couldn't cover the TE once again and just like that we were in a big hole to begin the game. Franks was still Franks and the O was sputtering in rhythm with the D. Started to look like the funk we have been under hadn't been washed off. Then lo and behold, we found the switch in the second half and were somehow able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and though it wasn't perfect, we got off the schnide (for the time being at least).

The crowd, which was sparse to start the game, provided some much needed noise as they filtered in and I heard Mullen compliment their energy on the SEC network. Let's be clear, we didn't just upend a top 10 team and we didn't look real good in the first half on the way to stopping our recent streak, but we showed some good things on both sides of the ball that should help as we prepare for Idaho and the Nole$ moving forward. 9-3 and a decent bowl are still out there and that is as good or even better than most expected at the start of the season. Here are some other thoughts and specifics:

*Got to start with Franks. First half he was what has become his usual self. Passes off target for the most part, either behind or beyond the receivers, laid one on the ground (luckily recovered it) while pulling the ball from the back on what was likely an RPO. Short hopped a bubble screen on a third and very long which led to some boos, probably more so for the call, but here was your sign that Mullen bound and determined that Franks wasn't going to F it up for us. Not much rhythm to that point. Passing was better in the second half and we were effective with play action after going under center and gashing the Cocks straight ahead between the tackles on the ground. His scores on the ground were marred by his immature shushing motion to our fans and the alleged mouthing of STFU as he did so. I believe one of our receivers came and interrupted this childish display. Feleipe, if you're listening, you need to understand that you aren't at WHS anymore and not the darling of Gainesville like you were in Crawfordville. You don't like the fans getting on your @ss when you play like crap and don't improve? Then find a way to up your game or accept that the stage is too big and move on. We are passionate and deprived. We want and expect better.

*Toney got some more touches and certainly made the most of them. He's a water bug if if ever there's been one. He has a knack of finding his way into space out of a crowd and making something good happen. Liked him in the Widcat. His muffed punt notwithstanding (which was our lone turnover I believe), the youngster had a big day and his TD reception which showed a big burst to split the secondary defenders was big. This is what we want and need for him and kudos to the offensive staff for upping his touches.

*The ground game was an obvious salvation yesterday. 367 on the day with Scarlett and Perine both rushing for over a hundred. Pierce had a couple of nice carries as well even though his last one was an option that got blown up. We looked real good running straight ahead or with a counter with the QB under center and the OL base blocking. G scheming the guards is something we seem to do well as opposed to the lateral steps required in the zone scheme out of the shotgun, but even that was ok today against USCe's front. Mullen seemed determined to minimize Franks' impact or at least lighten his responsibilities in the air and threw it on the backs and OL. They responded in a huge way and I hope we see more under the center runs and play actions.

*The front seven got pushed around early as the Cocks were effective against us with the run and the pass. We struggled early to get pressure on their QB and our coverage theme was keep the ball in front of you, which they exploited to keep the sticks moving. As mentioned earlier, we couldn't cover the TE. On one of their TD passes, Joseph reduced as if to take the TE, then let him run by for an easy reception while staying put to watch the RB. I believe he should have had first threat (TE) at that point when he bumped, so something is not clicking with him. This can't continue to be a liability in our man coverage schemes, especially when we face the Noles.

*I mentioned us finding the switch in the second half on O, but our D picked up as well. Tackling and coverage got better and we found some pressure for their QB. One big play late was a hurry that led to a short hopped pass on third down, forcing a punt when they needed to convert to try and drive. Big time when we needed it. Henderson's late pick to kill their last opportunity was also a big moment. We seemed to regain the "want to" and it couldn't have come at a better time.

*Special teams were a little sub par with McPherson missing a FG and coverage giving up a return by Debo (who is a great player and deserving of his accolades). Get better Freddie, we need you back on the return team! Townsend was pretty good on the punts and uncorked one almost to Alachua. He also remained free of the personal fouls this week. Probably a wash, but the missed FG looked for a while like it might be a factor in the outcome.

*Many are probably not pleased with the soft coverage and lack of pressure Grantham seems to be stuck on. I think it is in most part to try and protect our secondary, which is very shakey at times. We find ourselves playing guys who are either struggling with technique or requirements of the coverage calls. We have a mixture of youth and some who just aren't ready for SEC prime time, and may never be. Getting Henderson back was big, but the fact remains that this is a weak spot and the conundrum is do you keep them soft so we minimize the chances of getting burned over the top or do we sell out and expect them to lock up downfield? Grantham is clearly in the nutcracker where this is concerned and the LB's inabilities in coverage are a mitigating factor. Growth and better talent will be the eventual cure I believe. Until the, it will be a guessing game.

*Mullen's compliment of the crowd might look like crawfishing from his comments last week, but he was right that they brought some juice and helped energize the team in the second half. This was also the first time I heard Tom Petty after "We are the boys" live and despite mixed reviews I enjoyed it, especially when the Cock's band started playing and the crowd sang louder and drowned them out! Even though the stadium wasn't full (and maybe never will be again save a few games here and there), the crowd did their part. A good show for the recruits who visited as well.

Next step...Idaho. Just how respectable they are remains to be seen. A win and stay healthy should be the minimum order of the day, though a blow out with time to rest the starters and get the reserves some time on the field (maybe an Emery Jones sighting) would be great. But just get it done and then on to the Nole$ in the regular season finale. One last jab...it was great to send Muschamp home with the L, wasn't it? Onward and upward. Go Gators!

:chomp:

***A nice conclusion to the trip was a stop at Texas Roadhouse in Lake City for a nice steak and a Blue Moon and good conversational recap of the game. The way they all ought to end!

****Forgot to mention initially, but the 90 yard drive and score late was BIG. We haven't had a response like that in a while. I'm taking it as a good sign until proven otherwise. A winner grinds production like that out when it has to, not just when it wants to. Consistency in determination is as important as consistency in effort and execution.

*****Im not a big band guy, but the halftime show was fantastic with the patriotic theme (and a rendition of Amazing Grace as part). Hats off to the Pride of the Sunsine, they made me proud to be an American as well as a Gator!

******Nice tribute to Mick for his career as the voice of the Gators. One of the best in the business.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Injuries in the secondary and poor play from the safeties have forced Grantham's hand in terms of plain vanilla defense. We need bodies.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Injuries in the secondary and poor play from the safeties have forced Grantham's hand in terms of plain vanilla defense. We need bodies.
Absolutely. Guy's doing what he has to in order to survive and live to fight another down. Not ideal, but again only growth and more talent will cure this.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It wasn't on camera, but the announcers again mentioned Reese throwing his hands up in the air at Joseph for missing assignments. He did that all game against Mizzou. Sounds like he did it again yesterday. Is that Grantham and staff being poor teachers or Joseph just having rocks for brains? The safeties are having the same issue which makes thing really bad because Taylor and Davis lack speed and burst.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
We made some defensive personnel adjustments in the second half for Joseph on passing downs (Houston, Jackson and Johnson). I’d say it seemed to help, but mostly Muschamp stopped passing.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
More and better personal is the only thing that's going to solve our secondary problems and that takes a little time. Glad to see us get over our handover from uga loss. GO GATORS!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Excellent recap and read C2. Glad your trip was good and perhaps you were the reason for the W. Be that as it may, I respond with questions regarding coaching, players, process, etc. and not from an end results position. you mentioned the inability to cover a TE, HB, FB, or whoever the hell was running free without a player within 10 miles of him scoring TD's with ease. I know how lacking we are in talent at all levels of the D, but their is a difference in lack of talent and not knowing your assignment. How is it that every week, we have multitude of plays where guys are running free? You might not make the play, but you can at least know where you are supposed to be and who is your responsibility. I lay this right at the feet of Joe Lee Dunn Jr and Cousin Eddie. Then on the 3rd TD drive of the first half by USCe, they converted not ONE, but TWO 3rd down and 7 yds. to go by running the simplest dive play b/c the defense was in an alignment that was so Joe Lee Dunn-esque. So the first half was a complete SHYT-SHOW by the D. We then start a drive on the 1st possession of the 2nd half with a 30yd. run by Scarlett giving us 1st and 10 at the USCe 20 yd. line. Cousin Eddie then calls 3 consecutive pass plays, which then resulted in a missed. FG. Not Coaches fault for missed FG, but why would you go pass, pass, pass after just ripping off a 30 yd run, when your QB sux in the passing game? That is my biggest issue with Cousin Eddie as I view that as game management. We have ZERO vertical passing game and I don't mean long passes, I mean anything forward and not sideways. Our opponents don't need any help by us doing things we can control, b/c we have enough physical deficiencies already.

Anyway, great read and always nice to see a more x's and o's read versus a we won we are great or we lost and we suck recap. thanx as always C2.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We made some defensive personnel adjustments in the second half for Joseph on passing downs (Houston, Jackson and Johnson). I’d say it seemed to help, but mostly Muschamp stopped passing.

Good call. I said the same thing. they could have thrown the ball 90% of the time and probably hung 60 on us, but thanx to that AZZCLOWN Chimp, he helped us out.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Getting this up a little late after seeing it live at BHG. First one I've made in a few years since giving up my season tickets.

I can't wait to get back to a game. Saturdays will be difficult for me for a few years yet unless momma 5-Star executes her designs on our youngest and puts him in soccer. I suppose I'll still be traveling on Saturdays, albeit as something of a hostage rather than as the boy's co-conspirator. But I digress.

You mentioned the linebacker play in coverage and I was wondering if you were seeing it the same way I did. It looks to me like Joseph hesitates and gets confused about his responsibilities in coverage a lot. In Reese's case it almost seems like he knows where he's supposed to be but doesn't always have the horses to do what he needs to. Hopefully Joseph can learn, but I think Reese is at his ceiling. For now I think we're going to get a heavy dose of teams looking to exploit it. I only watched the game live, so I can't be sure, but it looked like they were getting sucked way in on the play action that opened up those early slants that were killing us.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Agree the D looks confused and late calls from the sidelines make it worse. Some D issues just need bigger stronger bodies. But we have a lot of guys fast enough to easily cover the TE. Hesitation seems to kill a lot of good effort. LB also cannot cover, but can the safeties? Too esoteric on scheme?or they can’t grasp basic concepts? They did turn the motor up in the 2nd, we even had a few CeCe sightings. An interception and running down a sure TD, someone was showing effort!

Have to say the backs give it their all! Running and blocking, Scarlet saved FF bacon on more than one occasion. Toney looks like he put on some much needed muscle mass. Just run N/S a bit more and quit jaw jacking after the play. Wished all the other receivers played as hard. FF rins are definitely betteron the non run calls. Took what they gave him. Still don’t understand using him in the redzone with our backs running stout.

The center scares me every snap, EJ might need a ladder!

Heck of a roller coaster ride with a great effort. Glad you had a great trip!

Go Gators

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is bullshyt.

We have safeties on the sideline but they are insistent on playing Stiner and Taylor. Those two are sunbelt conference trash and will never get better. yes today they might be ever so slightly better at knowing the Playbook or having some game experience, but just like Trey at CB, the talented freshman will quickly be better than untalented upperclassmen..... if we put them on the field. Stiner and Taylor will never get any better.

Safeties on the sidelines: Shawn Davis, Burney, Brian Edwards?, Lil David Reese (more of a starbacker), Rick Wells, Tyree Cleveland, Daquan Green. Id be tempted to even give Trevon Grimes and Pierce a look.

You have to get your best 22 on the field. Like when SOS often moved players, even starters, to defense when needed (ie Jackson to LB one year, maybe 95 or 94, and Eli Williams to CB in 96 or 97.)

They also insist on playing nickel instead of playing another LB like say Kylan Johnson, who is probably our best cover LB anyway. (He probably isnt as fast as Vosean but he actually manages to cover).

Yeah, I know they eventually benched Vosean for Kylan and/or Houston, but not until Joseph had almost singlehandedly given up 21 points. The film is out there, and everyone knows that Joseph cant cover shyt. He needs to sit until he gets his head out of his azz. It isnt that he is too slow, he is probably our fastest LB, he is just too damn quick to bite and jump a gap and or forget entirely who he is covering.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Weaknesses to shore up:
1) Waterboard Franks into being a well-rounded QB.
2) Film-study the confusion out of our LBs and our DBs.
3) Toney up.
4) Quit practicing our receivers at catching normal passes. Franks don't deliver that. Only practice great catches.
5) Block punts ... or make 'em nervous about it at least.
6) Earn the right to play later in the day.
7) Pump up sluggish recruiting.
8) More sideline TV-dancing by Mullen. (Shows recruits there's fun going on.)
9) Choreograph that shush-finger move into Mullen's wiggles.
9) We need a 'keepable' turnover chain of macrame dollar bills (also for the recruits).

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Safeties on the sidelines: Shawn Davis, Burney, Brian Edwards?, Lil David Reese (more of a starbacker), Rick Wells, Tyree Cleveland, Daquan Green. Id be tempted to even give Trevon Grimes and Pierce a look.

I haven’t seen what’s up, but little Reese has been in street clothes for a few games at least. He doesn’t seem very hurt as he is dancing around like crazy and leading a lot of the sideline hype.

I’m most perplexed by them not giving Burney at least a chance. He must really be struggling in practice because he has played special teams a lot and is not redshirting.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It wasn't on camera, but the announcers again mentioned Reese throwing his hands up in the air at Joseph for missing assignments. He did that all game against Mizzou. Sounds like he did it again yesterday. Is that Grantham and staff being poor teachers or Joseph just having rocks for brains? The safeties are having the same issue which makes thing really bad because Taylor and Davis lack speed and burst.
I can't say the D staff are poor teachers, but sometimes you have players that just can't process assignments quickly or orderly at game speed and default to speed and physical ability. We used to call them Defensive Ends! This may be why Joseph was one of those "Diamond in the Rough" players. Likewise for several of our DBs. Secondary these days has to have at least one intellectual to help line the babies up and remind of the call and sometimes assignments. Gardner-Johnson had been taking that role at one point.

I can't wait to get back to a game. Saturdays will be difficult for me for a few years yet unless momma 5-Star executes her designs on our youngest and puts him in soccer. I suppose I'll still be traveling on Saturdays, albeit as something of a hostage rather than as the boy's co-conspirator. But I digress.

You mentioned the linebacker play in coverage and I was wondering if you were seeing it the same way I did. It looks to me like Joseph hesitates and gets confused about his responsibilities in coverage a lot. In Reese's case it almost seems like he knows where he's supposed to be but doesn't always have the horses to do what he needs to. Hopefully Joseph can learn, but I think Reese is at his ceiling. For now I think we're going to get a heavy dose of teams looking to exploit it. I only watched the game live, so I can't be sure, but it looked like they were getting sucked way in on the play action that opened up those early slants that were killing us.
Definitely agree about Joseph. He is in a fog where his coverage responsibilities are concerned and may never get it sorted out. Some just can't process it all. Reese is not good in coverage in part due to play recognition. He false keys a lot on play action and gets sucked inside as you point out and can't recover. When he does recognize pass, he's usually to slow to get where he needs to be. Hard to fix either of these guys. Need to recruit these positions hard. BTW c2 Jr. played youth soccer for a couple of years and was actually pretty decent, but opted for football. He's thanked me several times we didn't make him keep playing "futbol!" That said, soccer is a good game with positives, but I never was able to warm up to it.

I think the move to Kylan Johnson was the right thing and was a part of better defensive play late in the game. Joseph may need to be a situational player in a rotation. I agree about the scheme switch, but not sure how much is on the LB coaches and how much on the aptitude of the players other than Joseph and Reese to a lesser degree. Some the switch is still basic stuff that should have at least been introduced at the high school level unless they came from a program that wasn't up on teaching as much as it was relying on out-athleting the opposition. Joseph especially puts me in mind of having come from the latter. Swift and physical, but lost when he has to think too much. Again, one of the reasons everybody wasn't all over him despite his physical abilities.

I'd love to sit down and talk the game sometimes (no homo either!). Need to make time for a little group to meet up and do just that. We'll need a grease board to maximize the conversation!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent recap and read C2. Glad your trip was good and perhaps you were the reason for the W. Be that as it may, I respond with questions regarding coaching, players, process, etc. and not from an end results position. you mentioned the inability to cover a TE, HB, FB, or whoever the hell was running free without a player within 10 miles of him scoring TD's with ease. I know how lacking we are in talent at all levels of the D, but their is a difference in lack of talent and not knowing your assignment. How is it that every week, we have multitude of plays where guys are running free? You might not make the play, but you can at least know where you are supposed to be and who is your responsibility. I lay this right at the feet of Joe Lee Dunn Jr and Cousin Eddie. Then on the 3rd TD drive of the first half by USCe, they converted not ONE, but TWO 3rd down and 7 yds. to go by running the simplest dive play b/c the defense was in an alignment that was so Joe Lee Dunn-esque. So the first half was a complete SHYT-SHOW by the D. We then start a drive on the 1st possession of the 2nd half with a 30yd. run by Scarlett giving us 1st and 10 at the USCe 20 yd. line. Cousin Eddie then calls 3 consecutive pass plays, which then resulted in a missed. FG. Not Coaches fault for missed FG, but why would you go pass, pass, pass after just ripping off a 30 yd run, when your QB sux in the passing game? That is my biggest issue with Cousin Eddie as I view that as game management. We have ZERO vertical passing game and I don't mean long passes, I mean anything forward and not sideways. Our opponents don't need any help by us doing things we can control, b/c we have enough physical deficiencies already.

Anyway, great read and always nice to see a more x's and o's read versus a we won we are great or we lost and we suck recap. thanx as always C2.
Thanks Fire. I think you have to consider the personnel as much as the coaching where the D is concerned and I believe personnel is driving the schemes and changes we are seeing. Probably great kids all, but most not ready (some may never be) for SEC level play. McElwain left a bigger mess where the roster and recruiting was concerned than I think most can really imagine or maybe accept. As for some of the head scratchers where play calls are concerned, I agree and maybe they have seen something they are trying to exploit. Relying on Franks as the catalyst for such is a gamble at best. But at least these are moments and not chapters. Still could be cleaner perhaps. Might be that worry about the deficit we were facing drove the passes you refer to? I hope we have found something with the run efficiency that can carry us these next few games. That will most assuredly open up passing opportunities if, and this a big if, we can convert them into solid gains and give the opposition's D something else to have to worry about. The better teams are going to force our QB to beat them.

This is bullshyt.

We have safeties on the sideline but they are insistent on playing Stiner and Taylor. Those two are sunbelt conference trash and will never get better. yes today they might be ever so slightly better at knowing the Playbook or having some game experience, but just like Trey at CB, the talented freshman will quickly be better than untalented upperclassmen..... if we put them on the field. Stiner and Taylor will never get any better.

You have to get your best 22 on the field. Like when SOS often moved players, even starters, to defense when needed (ie Jackson to LB one year, maybe 95 or 94, and Eli Williams to CB in 96 or 97.)

They also insist on playing nickel instead of playing another LB like say Kylan Johnson, who is probably our best cover LB anyway. (He probably isnt as fast as Vosean but he actually manages to cover).

Yeah, I know they eventually benched Vosean for Kylan and/or Houston, but not until Joseph had almost singlehandedly given up 21 points. The film is out there, and everyone knows that Joseph cant cover shyt. He needs to sit until he gets his head out of his azz. It isnt that he is too slow, he is probably our fastest LB, he is just too damn quick to bite and jump a gap and or forget entirely who he is covering.
Law, need I remind you about your references to McElwain' recruiting style as being akin to shopping at Big Lots? :) I have to think that there's a reason the guys you mention aren't seeing the field and goes beyond simply being a coach's preference. I am curious about Burney, however. Thought he might be able to help at this point. I get what you're saying about putting your best 22 out there and SOS found some guys to change sides, but I don't know really who we have to switch. Probably someone in the receivers group. Definitely nor Pierce.

You are spot on about Joseph. His in game brain is a Commodore 64 when we need the latest Microsoft high speed processor. At this point, as has been stated, he's better suited to be a situational player (run downs or blitzes only) with a guy like Jackson better suited to defend the pass.

leogator

May 5, 2018

Joseph is too twitchy and get sucked by all the fakes and play action. His footwork when he gets ready to make a tackle is atrocious and he is easily juked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.