Best Posts in Thread: Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3,241
    Ratings:
    +6,391 / -6
    At times it wasn't pretty. The rain made for a soggy atmosphere that looked to work against our one-dimensional Gators. There were passes that fluttered and some way off the mark. There were dropped balls. There were missed calls. There was poor tackling and poor coverage. There were missed blocks. But in the end there were the Gators sitting at 7-1, rebounding from their first loss and showing that they could win, on the road, without their best two defenders. Mullen was a little giddy speaking post-game. And who could blame him? His counterpart...not so much.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

38-27. Not what you'd call a commanding victory, but after the way we started and then spotting them a TD (and the lead again) after a pick on the second half's first possession, it was somewhat satisfying after the final seconds ticked off. Face it, we are what we saw today. We're good enough to win whenever we take the field, but without near perfect execution, we don't quite have the roster to dominate. Auburn one week, LSU the next. Meaning that every week will be a battle, nothing will come easy for us. But you've got to love the overall attitude of this team and their heart. We'll have to see how far that will take us.

Before we get into the game points, I have to make a couple of comments, the first regarding the announcers, or at least Greg McElroy.

:trux:

His lack of love for us is a matter of record, but I thought he carried the scrutiny of the officiating crew to new heights (or depths). I can do without his opinions or any reminders of the rash he still carries where the Gators are concerned. Second, how about the sad lot of hillbilly 'Cock fans. It was ridiculous seeing them throw so much trask on the field when things didn't go their way. Wait a minute, did I say "trask?" Pardon my Freudian slip! 21-33 for 200 yards and 4 TDs, despite a slow start, wasn't exactly "trashy" given the site and the conditions. The story continues to develop.

*Trask obviously had problems gripping and throwing the ball consistently. His first three attempts were incompletions and brought to mind Danny's problems in Jacksonville (1993) when he was benched in favor of Terry Dean, who along with Errict Rhett and a last second timeout by Anthone Lott, went on to beat the Dawgs in a monsoon. Trask also threw a terrible interception to begin the second half, but he was able to recover and lead the team to a win over the 'Cocks and Will Muschamp (win/win). He's pretty cool on the field, but his ability to shake off previous mistakes, turn the page if you will, and lead the team with not only his arm, but also with his brain makes him unique. He's a guy who really shouldn't be here, but he's also a guy you want to pull for.

*We got just enough of a run game to help us when we needed it. None bigger than Pierce's 75 yard romp. Got enough of a block to allow him to turn the corner and square his shoulders. The rest was pretty to watch. A shout out to Cleve for his block that almost caused McElroy to crap himself!

*I hate rushing three and umbrella coverage with a big lead. It never fails that whoever we're defending moves the ball down the field with no difficulty, scores, and makes it too interesting. The "Choke at Doak" is still fresh after all these years and Spurrier's post-game quip about the "Prevent" doing just that...preventing us from winning rings true to this day. Fortunately, we survived it, but I'd rather us keep the pressure on, keep our foot on the gas so to speak.

*It looked at first as if our receivers weren't ready to play, maybe still hungover from last Saturday in the bayou. But they hung in there. Great catches by Copeland and Swain for TD's were highlights and Grimes made a nice catch and strong effort to score. Pitts is who we have seen him to be. Little surprised that Jefferson wasn't at peak efficiency, but the luxury of this group is that we can survive a star having a little bit of an off afternoon.

*I wouldn't say the officials had their best day. They missed quite a few calls, but they weren't one-sided. Pitts' TD catch and the block by Hammonds probably should have been called, but if I'm recalling correctly, the pass should have been completed behind the LOS, but Trask was pressured and got the pass off after Pitts had drifted upfield. An honest mistake that for once went our way. It was also kind of neat to see Muschamp tread dangerously close to an aneurysm just afterward.

*Townsend is a helluva punter. His worst kick was the low liner that still rolled for 54 yards. He shows great patience and awareness on his pin punts. It's nice to know he's there to help bail us out when we stall deep in our own territory. You'd be amazed how much this helps to keep the pressure off of the O.

*Henderson finished strong after looking not so much like a first-rounder in Baton Rouge. Even though they completed the flea-flicker on him, he was in pretty good shape. I liked his tackling today. He looked a lot tougher than he did when he gave up on the long sideline route last week.

*Saw some guys like Burney and Miller getting their names called today. I also saw Ancrum get called twice for lining up offsides in the same series. That quick contrast kind of sums up our roster and gives a hint to some of the issues we are faced with and can only improve as the quality of future recruiting classes improve.

*We were dropping like flies toward the end. We need to heal up in preparation for the game in Jax in two weeks.

Bounce back. It's what we needed and it's always good to go into a bye week leading up to a major rival on an uptick. Sit back and catch your breath. If you're like me, you probably need a moment's respite. There'll be a lot riding on this year's cocktail party.

One last gift for McElroy and any Gator haters who might be disappointed after we disposed of the 'Cocks...

Go Gators!
    :chomp:

#1 cover2, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Slevin

Slevin Law’s Alter-Ego
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $9,938
      Ratings:
      +13,603 / -305
      Might have ended 38-27 but we had an 18 point lead after those mistakes, in the rain, on the road, against a team coming off a top 3 victory.

We made it to the bye week 7-1. I’ll take it. Get healthy and let’s beat the living shyt out of the ass licking, flea ridden, 40 year irrelevant Dwags

• Homer J

Homer J Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $690
        Ratings:
        +1,084 / -84
        When McElwain-roy talks, he sounds like he is whining. I don't mean to get political, but he is the Hillary Clinton of announcers.

#7 Homer J, Oct 19, 2019
        Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
        • Like Like x 11
        • Dislike Dislike x 1
        • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
        • List
        • maheo30

maheo30 WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $6,953
          Ratings:
          +9,321 / -131
          1. The o-line has improved since Gouraige took Bleiche’s spot. Heggie isn’t getting blasted back into the QB from the RG spot and Gouraige more than handles his own. Hopefully, he continues to improve.

2. He will never be a great blocker, but Pitts blocking has improved tremendously since the Miami game where he was flat out embarrassing.

3. Am I crazy, or should the staff move Moon to LB where his elite speed and athleticism wouldn’t go to waste? I just don’t think he is physical enough to play the position he is at. He needs to be in space.

4. Glad to see Copeland have a good game. The kids works his butt off. He’s been vocal on Twitter about not producing more.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,658
            Ratings:
            +5,355 / -440
            Held us to 38.

• SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $6,045
              Ratings:
              +6,111 / -361
              Great write up as always! Surprised no mention of Moon defending two passes on the last series IN COVERAGE lol Just a funny side note. You know he’s going to be clowning on the DBs the next two weeks.

I wish they would’ve let Pierce carry it more. He’s our best chance at a run game. Dancin’ Perine is a benefit in the passing game but Pierce showed he could block a little today. Maybe its time to let our most talented back take flight.

• Sec14Gator

Sec14Gator Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,025
                Ratings:
                +2,261 / -122
                Great job Cover2. I most loved the pun via pictures:

So true and ironic for Chump. We see this all the time though in honor of the worship of balance. Something works an entire drive, only for coaches to completely change in the redzone to trip up the other team. Yes, the defense is more constricted there but they were pushing us around that drive and would have taken the lead by 7 instead of three if they run theee Times.

Best part was the post-sack Muschamp panic. After not running on first from the 6, they then ran twice in a row from the 15. Fans must have been thrilled. Each successive call from first and goal was worse than the prior call.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,241
                  Ratings:
                  +6,391 / -6
                  You're right about Moon on those cover plays.. It's hard for me to overlook some of his reactive missteps against the run. He got pinned inside on some false keys leading to good off tackle runs. But he hustles and gives his best. Ventrel Miller might have been the best of the little knowns today. He put the hat on some guys today (I don't guess it's politically correct to use that terminology in today's world of football).

Agreed about Pierce. Don't think you just shelve Perine, but Pierce needs more carries. He isn't bad in pass pro as you've noted. Maybe he's just easing back from his concussion/injury. Saw he was on kick cover today. They had pulled him off for Auburn in anticipation of more carries. Starting over I suppose.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Your mother makes me sammiches
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $42,689
                    Ratings:
                    +67,341 / -3,243
                    That's a good point. When I noticed Burney he was doing good things.

As much as I havent been impressed w him trying to transition from safety to inside LB (flop so far IMO), I prefer him at Star bc he gives us a much bigger presence in the box on run plays.

Burney had a pretty good game and showed he is good enough in pass coverage against most teams, but not Mizzu I suspect (if good Mizzu shows up).

#38 Swamp Donkey, Oct 20, 2019
                    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
                    • rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $9,013
                      Ratings:
                      +15,325 / -220
                      Each progressing game, Cover, Trask gives you more to uncover that you cover so well. Thanks many times over.
                      Some announcer mentioned that Trask may have never played a game in a downpour before.? Look how well he came around after that horrid start. Using my guess-evidence, I'd say Trask's determination comes from his fierce loyalty to UF, to his mates. He refuses to let us down.

Yep, DB coverage needs to get braver at fronting opposing WR - getting isolated behind a bigger WR doesn't work well.
                      Team deficits send us toward losing these games, while specific skilled athletes just refuse to lose - so we're 7-1. That's real good.
                      21-33, 200 yds,4 TDs, done mostly in 3 quarters shows we have a Gator QB. Keeps KT gaining confidence and honing skills by correcting shortfalls = that brain-processing you mentioned, Cover.

Pierce is the RB most likely to get us a sure 5 yards frequently, plus breaking a long one too. IMO, Cleveland was brilliant in having a half-step on that guy, but reaching "backward" and tugging his jersey = the guy leading pulling the guy from behind. Who'da thunk it? Not the refs. Let us always prevent the Prevent. Grow Gators. Rest and heal every wound.

Reese, Miller, Moon will buck up when G & Z rejoin them. It's looking like UGa will wilt facing our never give up Gators.

• SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $6,045
                        Ratings:
                        +6,111 / -361
                        Meh... They had the Matt Austin (SEC Rules Guy) and he said is wasn’t because the hold didn’t affect the play. Basically, the defender never tried to disengage so the non-call was fine.

• 88drgator

88drgator Senior Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $175
                          Ratings:
                          +455 / -17
                          I don't know why/how you missed your calling in life. You should be the lead sports writer for a major publication.

Nice tongue-in-cheek dig on the "trash" ….loved it.

• YLGator

YLGator Rams Schmuck
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $1,482
                            Ratings:
                            +1,601 / -126
                            The refs missed calls on both sides. The second Antrum offsides was very questionable (that was a 4 point call). Also gave KY a first down spot and missed the PI on Pitts. I've also seen our opponents get away with the Delance early jump countless times against us and pick plays get missed all the time. Bottom line is, both teams caught some breaks from the refs.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                              $2,480
                              Ratings:
                              +3,744 / -324
                              Great as usual, the false start miss was a big break in our favor. The holding on the same play did not really exist but no grabbing of jerseys should be the policy. I heard that Trask showed great leadership (sort of like Tebow) with the team. Said that this is not us and then went out and proved it. After seeing Vandy and Mizzu we can beat both of them so beating Ga means a great chance at the SEC championship game. Perhaps our luck was payback for Chump being so poor of a coach when he was here, he seems to have learned a little.

• YLGator

YLGator Rams Schmuck
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $1,482
                                Ratings:
                                +1,601 / -126
                                Yep. Perhaps I'm a little sensitive about it because if you listened to the dolts calling the game, you'd think it was the swindle reincarnated.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $2,956
                                  Ratings:
                                  +7,371 / -585
                                  You're right. It wasn't pretty but that doesn't matter. I feel the game turned when dumbass passed on 1st and goal after they had gouged us down the field. Momentum turned at that point and we held them to 3. They Chumped it right there. Had us on the roped and choked. Sound familiar?

We find out in 2 weeks if we have truly turned a corner.

And we desperately need some d linemen in recruiting.

• EyeDocGator

EyeDocGator Politically Incorrect
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $3,787
                                    Ratings:
                                    +5,080 / -93
                                    Yeah, they really destroyed Vandy.

• gardnerwebbgator

gardnerwebbgator Deplorable
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $3,090
                                      Ratings:
                                      +7,325 / -189
                                      Pierce run was blatant holding by Cleveland, but we'll take it.

Watching that POS Duncechump melt down was most enjoyable.

• Like Like x 4
                                      • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
                                      • List
                                      • Frozen Gator

Frozen Gator Well-Known Member
                                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $2,234
                                        Ratings:
                                        +2,852 / -42
                                        Thanks for the great informative read. Congrats to our tough and gutty team, they sure have a lot of heart. I totally agree about McElroy, he is as bad as Jordan Reed was two years ago at Kentucky. Maybe he can call Vandy games the rest of the year. Thanks again Cover!

• SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $6,045
                                          Ratings:
                                          +6,111 / -361
                                          Guaranteed to be 2-2 at worst over this tough stretch. Funny, haters couldn’t fathom that in September.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.