Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Amid the 15,000 live fans allowed to attend, along with the cut-outs that featured pets, celebrities, and past Gator greats, the 2020 edition of Gator football bested the Cocks of USCe in the home opener at BHG 38-24. In doing so, they run their early season record to 2-0 led by the two Kyles, Trask and Pitts, who enjoyed another good offensive outing. Trask kept up his hot start with 21 / 29 passing for 268 yds, 4 TDs and an INT. Pitts had 4 receptions for 54 yds and 2 TDs. As a team, the Gators rolled up 348 yds in only 53 plays for a 6.6 yds / play average.

Even so, the Cocks didn’t go down easily ;) as they rushed for 117 yds and passed for 212 on a whopping 30 more offensive plays than Florida! They also turned two Gator turnovers, both by Trask, into scores and dominated time of possession 36:23 to 23:37, nearly 13 more minutes (keep this stat in mind for a little later). The Cocks young QB, whose hairdo (and not his physique) were reminiscent of former USCe signal caller Stephen Garcia (I see you @Durty South Swamp), made some nice throws and kept their offense potent and the outcome uncertain until the fourth quarter when they turned the ball over on downs after penetrating deep in the red zone.

Considering how our D has started the season, which carried over somewhat, and that their D was some better than the Rebs’ last week, it’s not hard to understand why the game was closer than hoped. Our group was arguably a little better this week than last, though the Cocks ran through us on their first possession with little resistance and our offense gave them the ball twice in good field position. Also, as hated and maligned as Muschamp is, and deservedly so, he can usually put together a good defensive effort, especially against us.

So even though we beat the Cocks :) by two scores, I can’t helped but feel a little uneasy with TAMU on the road looming ahead next week. But let’s not mistake uneasy with not confident. Our small sample size still makes me feel our O can move it on anybody, particularly with the OL and backs providing pretty decent pass pro and another good crop of receivers taking shape. And the D...they’ve got to catch up sooner or later, don’t they? Chew on that a bit while we look at a few specifics...

*Remember those stats I mentioned? Allowing your opponents 30 more snaps than you will usually get your @ss beat! It speaks poorly of your D’s ability to consistently stop the opposing O and we gave up 11 combined third and fourth down conversions! I guess we’ll now have “4th and Grantham,” too? We were able to get just enough stops, but thank the O for scoring as much as they did.

*The other stat, Time of Possession, a Muschamp hallmark, should be seen as mostly meaningless in these days of high octane, fast scoring offenses. It is also referenced in the book of Modern Football Statistics as “this statistic is for losers.” Teams nowadays that ascribe to this practice are rarely champions of any description.

*It was easy for all of us to scream at our televisions “WTF are you doing, Dan?!” when Trask fumbles on a keeper, that led to a quick USCe score. You likely thought why risk an injury to the guy making our offense really click? And then he keeps on a speed option and picks up a first down on a nice gain of 10+. I’d rather him not run, but it’s going to happen. It’s football and if it’s not called, which I don’t think we’ll see often at all, he’ll get flushed occasionally. No way to protect him from that.

*Big Head Todd and the Monsters aren’t really scaring anybody thus far this season. We really struggle at times in coverage even though we looked sporadically better at times today. Sean Davis has come on and shows some needed toughness and reliability (e.g. the jump ball break up in the end zone) and Elam can play, but we still allow too much separation at times, get lost, or flat out blow coverages. Safety play overall is scary. Our LBs aren’t good in coverage and seem to get pinned frequently on off tackle plays (especially bad when our Ends fail to set the edge, which happens too frequently). We got to the ball today, but struggled a bit getting the ball carriers on the ground. But my biggest worry is that we are not as strong on the LOS as the OLs we’ve met. This might be a season-long issue that will require a lot of improvement in the other defensive areas lest we get bit.

*Take away Trask’s two turnovers and we likely hang half a hundred on them. When our D is struggling, we can’t help the other team no matter how good our O is.

*Pierce looks like the #1 RB. 51 yds on 9 carries with a score was tops for us. I’d love to see him get a few more touches. One of the best things about our backs is the aforementioned role they are playing in pass pro. Sooner or later, they’ll have to be involved as receivers in the throw game a little more.

*Don’t want to praise too much too soon, but I believe we are trending upward with the OL. Not sure of the depth, but hope it will be ready when called and that’ll happen sooner or later.

*Still not sure exactly who’s responsible for the O clicking and our efficiency, but keep it up. Any way you cut it, Brian Johnson, by effort or presence, is a part of it.

So College Station and Jimbo are set for next Saturday. That can be a tough place to play. Kellen Monds, depending on which one shows up, can give our inconsistent D fits. We’ve got a lot of work to do defensively to prepare and get better. One thing we’ve got going for us is the vaunted “Twelfth Man” is made partly of cardboard this year. Shouldn’t make much difference either way if the D steps it up a bit and the O cleans up and performs like opening day. Jimbo’s tears are long overdue. Go Gators!

:chomp:

*Forgot to give Toney a shout. His TD reception showed his strength, balance, and speed as he pulled away from several defenders to take an intermediate throw to the house. Just a reminder, though, for him not to run backwards even if he does have more moves than a young @crosscreekcooter at a tent revival.

* I really think Grantham’s gotta commit to pressure on every conversion down. He’ll have to be creative, disguise it, and bring it from a lot of different places. Contain the QB and make him throw it before he’s ready is the best chance we’ve got right now imo.

Last edited:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
*Remember those stats I mentioned? Allowing your opponents 30 more snaps than you will usually get your @ss beat! It speaks poorly of your D’s ability to consistently stop the opposing O and we gave up 11 combined third and fourth down conversions! I guess we’ll now have “4th and Grantham,” too? We were able to get just enough stops, but thank the O for scoring as much as they did.

CDM even mentioned this in the post-game. Hopefully that leads to the “Todd, WTF?” conversation in Sunday’s film review. I was afraid the “greatest DC in the country” was getting a pass on these things.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
* I really think Grantham’s gotta commit to pressure on every conversion down. He’ll have to be creative, disguise it, and bring it from a lot of different places. .
Grantham is mindnumbing.

It is just amazing that he has been Third and Grantham since 2010 or so and still he gets paid millions to do this.

Your thoughts on the top schematic things things that affects this defense?

Im just stunned at depth chart and roster management.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great write up C2. I just don’t understand why we can’t get the Defense off the field. Those long time consuming drives aren’t any good. Really disappointed in Marco Wilson. We seem to be getting worse and worse under The Choker.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Great analysis as always C2! The defense just has to improve if we are going to compete for anything meaningful this year. Simple as that. I'm afraid we just don't have the jimmies and joes on that side of the field....and Grantham would probably screw it up if we did have them anyway. Offensively this is a fun group to watch. I like Pierce alot and would also like to see him featured more in the backfield. Our O can play with anybody I believe. Trasks numbers were great again, but I thought he was a little careless trying to force some passes at times and got lucky on a few that might have been turnovers against a better D. Having him run just doesn't make any sense for us right now, we were moving the ball fine without risking it.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Great write up C2. I just don’t understand why we can’t get the Defense off the field. Those long time consuming drives aren’t any good. Really disappointed in Marco Wilson. We seem to be getting worse and worse under The Choker.
I said in the chatbox yesterday that Marco can’t hold Quincy’s jock, and it’s becoming more and more evident that he was a one season wonder. I hope I’m wrong about that, but he’s quickly becoming a liability back there.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Grantham is mindnumbing.

It is just amazing that he has been Third and Grantham since 2010 or so and still he gets paid millions to do this.

Your thoughts on the top schematic things things that affects this defense?

Im just stunned at depth chart and roster management.
It’s like Grantham has been reading message boards for coaching advice. I almost feel like he’s gone too far in the opposite direction. He’s laying off a lot on money downs, but we’re really weak on the back end. We better find some cover corners fast. Elam and Wilson look like garbage! The only DBs worth anything so far has been Jaydon Hill and Shawn Davis.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I have to point out that you can't give up 11 consecutive third AND fourth down conversions. You can give up11 EITHER third or fourth down conversions. Renard904; Elam made some nice plays yesterday. Calling him garbage is BS.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I think offensive play calling is hurting the defense as well. We need to be WAY more aggressive. Mullen seemed to get too caught up in trying to be balanced than actually playing to the team’s strengths. Like it or not, we’re a passing team. I understand you can’t just abandon the run game, but you can’t kill momentum trying to force it. We should be ultra aggressive on offense knowing what the defense is. Yesterday’s game would feel a lot better with 2 more touchdowns. But they ended up running 30 more plays because we weren’t aggressive early. The entire complexion of the game changes if we’re up 31 or 38-14 at halftime. That’s when you balance out the numbers. You can come out in the second half and pound the rock all you want.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s like Grantham has been reading message boards for coaching advice. I almost feel like he’s gone too far in the opposite direction. He’s laying off a lot on money downs, but we’re really weak on the back end. We better find some cover corners fast. Elam and Wilson look like garbage! The only DBs worth anything so far has been Jaydon Hill and Shawn Davis.

I thought Elam was really good yesterday. I can’t figure out wtf is going on with linebacker play. Defense is constantly running zone and it’s exposing these DBs. Obviously Stiner sucks monkey balls but the reason these DBs look like they’re giving up big plays is because the WRs are just running short routes and sitting in the soft spots in the zones. Just let these guys man up. The few times I saw Elam on man coverage he was lights out.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I have to point out that you can't give up 11 consecutive third AND fourth down conversions. You can give up11 EITHER third or fourth down conversions. Renard904; Elam made some nice plays yesterday. Calling him garbage is BS.
I call it like I see it. His film from this season doesn’t suggest he should be a starting SEC corner. Sure, he had a few PBUs, but he’s always trailing. He has to learn to use his hands more for feel and leverage. He’s doing everything in the hips. Which is good technique, but you need to use your hands to keep better contact with the receiver. There was one yesterday that he got back to and made a nice break up on the play. But that won’t cut it in the SEC. You have to close those gaps a little. Obviously he’s not a garbage player, but if you watch his film from THIS season he’s not too far from it. Marco makes him look like Deion Sanders though. Now he has been garbage! He shouldn’t be playing anymore but they keep sending him out there. He’s regressed more than Dean did last year.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I thought Elam was really good yesterday. I can’t figure out wtf is going on with linebacker play. Defense is constantly running zone and it’s exposing these DBs. Obviously Stiner sucks monkey balls but the reason these DBs look like they’re giving up big plays is because the WRs are just running short routes and sitting in the soft spots in the zones. Just let these guys man up. The few times I saw Elam on man coverage he was lights out.
Maybe I’m overstating how bad he’s been. But really go check out the film as best you can. It’s hard with the broadcast copies but you can. He trails too much. The coaches should be helping him with that. But I’m not seeing progression. Look for #23 on the film as well. That dude covers like an SEC corner. I’m disgusted with the secondary. The few bright spots really stick it back there this year. #0, #23, and #6 have been playing the best. And 2 of those are safeties.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
The O had the game well in hand in the 3rd qtr, ready for one more score to totally nail the lid shut, then got lazy and started making mistakes that looked like loss of mental focus and effort. Trask with turnovers, receivers dropping balls right in their hands, running game looking like a Mactard team. Meanwhile, Todd's legacy of coaching scared (or maybe lazy too?) took over and the chimp was allowed to control a game when it should have been time to throw in the towel.

Mullen needs to re-establish his idea of "Relentless Effort" in this entire team. Other SEC teams are WAY ahead of us the dawgs played like their hair was on fire yesterday, so did LSU. We can play even-up with some good teams if we do, but won't be a championship team as long as we're dragging third/forth and Grantham along with us. The failure to hire a quality DC may be Mullen's downfall eventually, he can fix it with a hard-charger hire, but I fear he's too nice of a guy to fire the biggest problem this team has.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At #3 this team is waaaaay overrated. A third rated team should be a considerable threat to win it all. With this awful defense we aren't even close. There are no standouts on this defense to look to as bright spots. We are too small all over and it shows in our "tackling". I fear we'll get totally man handled against a decent offensive line and eviscerated by decent passing team. Someone like Georgia or Bama will be able to give their QB all day to pick apart our inept DBs. And since we don't seem to understand the concept of contain even a middling good running QB will kill us with his feet.

It's so immensely frustrating that after 12 years we FINALLY have a championship caliber offense and a Pop Warner defense. We'll lose at least 2 games with this defense.

Sorry to be so negative but watching us give up third and fourth and long so many times, something our defenses have become famous for, does not give one any confidence that we are anywhere close to fixing our defensive problems.

Last edited:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:chomp:

*Forgot to give Toney a shout. His TD reception showed his strength, balance, and speed as he pulled away from several defenders to take an intermediate throw to the house. Just a reminder, though, for him not to run backwards even if he does have more moves than a young @crosscreekcooter at a tent revival.

* I really think Grantham’s gotta commit to pressure on every conversion down. He’ll have to be creative, disguise it, and bring it from a lot of different places. Contain the QB and make him throw it before he’s ready is the best chance we’ve got right now imo.

I like that Toney has committed to north/south running with less dancing. I have been critical of him this offseason but the improvement is showing. The TD catch and run has Champ / D-Robb written all over it. That is their MO - no tackling DBs.

As for pressure, if we don't blitz, we have no chance. our basic D cannot get pressure on the QB. If we allow Mond to sit back in the pocket, he will torch us next week.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nailed it C2.

I'll give the D just a smidge more improvement, maybe in the tackling area. Not as many broken tackles as last week. I do feel two of the scores were on Trask and the Offense. But the D has to step up and stop those as well. We're going to be a team that will have to outscore others with some opportunistic defensive plays when its crucial. Saw a bit more of dialing up some blitzes but Grantham is going to have to step it up and be more creative and take some risks.

Mullen IMO took his foot off the gas unlike last week. You want that Killer Instinct, pin them on the mat and don't let up. With this D your're going to have to do that.

I am concerned about next week, but with Mond.......I still like our chances. He might seem to fit into an opportunistic D for our guys, but then the Offense must keep the foot on the gas. Socre quick, score often, and take advantage of the mistakes and make them pay for it. Get up 2-3 scores on Mond and he's a different player.

Things get real serious for sure next week.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Great again, C2. Question for you or someone who knows football and watches film: when Toney was nailed for a loss on the counter play in the second half, it was a key setback. Play starts right and comes back left. Gouraige moves sharply right and his man comes around him on his left into our backfield for the tackle. Tony acts disgusted. Here's my question: did Gouraige just miss his block going too far to the right, or are plays like that designed to fool the DL into going further in the direction Gouraige was moving? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator