Bits & Pieces: Florida vs South Carolina

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I said during the bye week that it really would not be the result against UGA as we were bound to lose, but that the team should look better and that the 4 games following UGA would be more of a tell than the UGA game itself. Now you have to take everything into account such as injuries, the opponents, etc. but there has been some improvement. The fundamental play seems to have improved but can still get better. AR is still horribly inaccurate on intermediate throws between the numbers and has no feel for how much or how little mustard to put on those throws. But that is not entirely coaching. Sometimes a person can't learn to be accurate regardless of how much practice they might put in. So AR's status for next year I think has little to do with his need to improve. I am sure he could improve just as much with a shot at more and better coaching, but he may never change.

I still feel a lot of the scoring zone play calls are horrendous and continues to limit our ability to score inside the 30. Not Karl's fault that we could not execute those FG's but the play calling left a lot to be desired. Better 3rd down D against a terrible USCe team but sometimes I wonder what the thought is on 3rd and long but hey, with UF a 3rd down stop is a 3rd down stop. Not to bash Sling Blade completely, I do want to say the decision to NOT attempt a 400 yard FG to end the half was the correct selection. That had kick 6 written all over it. Don;t forget on a FG attempt you have like 7 linemen, 2 TE's DE's types a K and a holder. And they are not running down to cover. So if missed you have a returner with a head of steam barreling down on 9 or more guys that can't tackle for shyt. A prudent move by Karl. The play calling leading up to the good non FG decision could be qustioned tho. And AR it is a HAIL MARY. Throw the F'ing ball to the endzone you goof!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Haven't read through the replies here (or game thread, just got home from Gainesville), but I actually saw some improvement on the 2 minutes before half... we actually threw downfield with the completion to Pearsall at their 35 and were looking good to at least (potentially) get a FG. But after that penalty, we assed it up for sure.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Certainly differences in Tempo and 2 Min. The execution of both begin with the QB. I can’t tell you for certain, but what I see right now is a QB that does well with pre-determined actions as opposed to those he has to process by reading the coverages and blitz probabilities. His best check down is when he cuts and runs and when he busts loose for yardage it’s certainly a positive, but the problem is that it extinguishes any over the top possibilities. In turn, that allows the defenses to play +1 or +2 in the box and now our one dimensional offense becomes much more difficult to execute.

@Altitude Gator alluded to AR screwing up in a two-minute situation and Billy going immediately conservative. Until AR progresses to the point that he trusts him not to screw up in those situations, he’s going conservative to make sure we don’t have a sudden change or give the ball back with time remaining and possibly give up points.

I’m pretty critical of AR while sitting in my easy chair, but as his limitations diminish, so do our offensive constraints. Right now his biggest issues are quickly digesting the defense pre-snap, applying that to his progressions passing and give/keep on the zone read and then throwing accurate passes, particularly intermediate to short routes. I don’t know for sure, but I’m thinking he was pretty raw when he joined the team and he’s having some issues chewing and swallowing what he needs to make the offense click. If he was a thespian, his strength would be improv as opposed to Hamlet.
Thanks for the take. I feel the same way too. We keep hearing Napier saying, "I love the kid and he's growing up". He may be raw as you state and believe that is pretty evident. Hence maybe he is learning but not quite there. I would wonder at times on Napier's aggressiveness when it comes to the 2 minute situations. But if AR is as it appears, it could possibly lead to disastrous results going in/coming out of the half as you say. Sometimes we may be over critical of Napier's decisions regarding that, but I am sure the coach has to have the confidence there. If not then he will definitely go conservative to avoid a serious mistake.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Welcome back C2! I think CBN needs to start calling this Defense “The Eunuch’s“ since we are playing so much better after cutting off their Cox! Really has been an amazing difference in team play and attitude. Actually looking forward to the next 3 games!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Thanks for the take. I feel the same way too. We keep hearing Napier saying, "I love the kid and he's growing up". He may be raw as you state and believe that is pretty evident. Hence maybe he is learning but not quite there. I would wonder at times on Napier's aggressiveness when it comes to the 2 minute situations. But if AR is as it appears, it could possibly lead to disastrous results going in/coming out of the half as you say. Sometimes we may be over critical of Napier's decisions regarding that, but I am sure the coach has to have the confidence there. If not then he will definitely go conservative to avoid a serious mistake.
There’s been a lot of criticism about the simplicity of our passing offense. I believe it has to be that way for the QB’s sake. I think for the most part two routes are about max and sometimes one route is what he locks on. Too bad we don’t have a developed Percy or Toney. We could run a 5 route tree…4 verticals and a shallow cross :lol:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There’s been a lot of criticism about the simplicity of our passing offense. I believe it has to be that way for the QB’s sake. I think for the most part two routes are about max and sometimes one route is what he locks on. Too bad we don’t have a developed Percy or Toney. We could run a 5 route tree…4 verticals and a shallow cross :lol:
Agreed.

We need to trust that Napier is in control of that and perhaps more than we know. Hopefully this load of WR 'croots we have coming in this next year will be a quick infusion to open up the passing game and develop more routes than we currently have. Deep down I feel Napier wants more in a passing game. But what I am coming to realize about Napier is he is content with whatever the situation and will not try to force it. It may come across as lack of aggression, but perhaps its more like I know what I have and don't want to screw it up.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I think its "kid gloves" with AR more than anything. Youre calling plays for a QB who hit 48% of his passes Saturday in a blowout win. Imo thats an outstanding job by any playcaller.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great to see you back Cover. The defensive turn-around is astounding. There has to be multiple reasons for it, but certainly letting Cox go had it's impact as well. Someone suggested in the chat box last night that maybe now without Cox out there freelancing the other guys can focus on their own job and not have to worry about covering for Cox. I'm sure there's some of that too. Hey, can ya do me a favor and send me a text next time you quit and then decide to come back again? I missed my morning coffee with B&P because I wasn't expecting a B&P. Well, I guess evening coffee is better than nothing. I still enjoyed your take as always. Thanks for the smile seeing your post gave me!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
All is right in the world: The Gators crushed an SEC opponent and @cover2 is back with bits n’ pieces.

Got back from Gainesville a few hours ago after a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. My only disappointment was big Des not running right at Rattler and stomping him a few times before waltzing into the end zone. Maybe next time…..

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
View attachment 51027

I’m about over my “case of the @ss,” as my granddaddy used to call it. In sports, winning can be a healing salve. Winning and looking pretty good doing it is even better. So I expect us fans, thoroughbreds and jackasses alike, to be finding a better feeling about the recent turn. And a 38-6 thumping of the ‘Cocks is certainly that, comparatively speaking.

Defensively, it’s hard not to notice the flip of the switch that started in the second half a week prior against Texas A&M that continued for four quarters yesterday. Not that I would necessarily consider USCe an offensive juggernaut, but holding them to 237 total yards (44 rushing) and no offensive scores was quite the contrast. Another couple of big stats were holding them to 3/11 on third down conversions and three takeaways. There’s a noticeable difference in the play of the front 6/7. The interior guys are controlling the gaps which is freeing the LBs to scrape and flow. We’re also getting some pressure more consistently from the front with a few blitzes mixed in. As important or maybe more so, the secondary is playing much tighter in coverage as well as run support. Can’t help but think that the light is coming on which allows for less tentative play and fewer instances of paralysis from over-analysis. Kudos to this group from the staff down to the players.

Offensively, our identity is definitely in the ground game. Montrell, ET, and AR rushed for 161, 100, and 96 yds respectively with each scoring a TD. The team total was 374 and a lot of the credit has to go to the OL, anchored by Torrence who is receiving a lot of well-deserved notice, and Sale, who is looking more and more like the best OL coach we’ve had in years as well as a contender for the best in the SEC. Passing, on the other hand, has looked more complimentary as opposed to threatening. While it’s nice to see some youngsters stepping in and doing good things and Pearsall becoming maybe a favored target, the fact remains that AR’s inconsistency is the biggest issue with the throw game. A lot of his misses seem to be behind receivers, leading me to believe he is late with his reads and execution. What’s the cure? More reps, more film, another year in college. If he ever works out the consistency kinks, he’ll be extremely difficult to game plan for, given his rushing ability. I do think his confidence is growing, which is an important part of his development. The sky’s still the limit, but his window at UF grows smaller with each game.

* Punt return was responsible for the ‘Cocks’ lone score and a penalty that set them up with a short field. Certainly work to do there.

* Not nominating him for MVP by any means, but 0 has played more solidly of late. He made a great play running down JuJu McDowell from behind on a sweep. Glad to see the improvement.

* I don’t think the dismissal of one player is the sole reason for our better defensive play, but it’s a known truth that people generally experience an improved demeanor when they have a boil on their @ss removed.

* Am I concerned with the two-minute plan to end the first half? Sure. But in the grand scheme of things, the defense improving is higher on the priority list. I’m not suggesting time management isn’t important, but I am suggesting that there were more issues with this team than might have been realized and while the improvements haven’t been immediate, they are showing up…as expected.

* We’re bowl eligible! Not an end all, but a step along the way to getting back where we expect to be.

Vandy’s looming and they appear to be much better than your Dad’s Vandy. We’ll be tested, but we’re rising as well. It’ll be more of a test than usual I suspect, but with our defense starting to figure things out, we should be in a good position to take the next step in the rebuild.

I’ll close with my sincere wishes that all will feel better and better about the direction of the program. I do, despite a rocky start and any lingering uncertainties. We might not have a highly polished SEC head coach, but the guy knows how to work and I don’t believe will embarrass the University and the fans, at least those of reasonable temperament. Hang in there Gators! I truly believe our better if not best days are ahead. If I’m wrong, I’ll refund your subscriptions :lol:

Go Gators!

:chomp:
It's great to see you back. That's the best, most balanced perspective on the current state of the team and program I've seen since I don't know when. My interest in this board has just been significantly renewed. Incidentally, I hope you're right about the general tenor of things improving with the progress we're beginning to see on the field and in recruiting.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
I’m about over my “case of the @ss,”

Is this what you're trying to say?
tumblr_lqen8ufiV71qcgzkno2_500.gif

Ok. Just don't let it happen again!
Thank you for returning.

I am also reposting my response from your "good-bye" thread, in case you missed it:
It dawned on me that I’ve got nothing at this point to change that trajectory.
Treebeard: I strongly contest this statement.

It is postings like yours that really are a foundation for a better understanding of Gator Football for many of us fans that really aren't good X's and O's people.

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I think its "kid gloves" with AR more than anything. Youre calling plays for a QB who hit 48% of his passes Saturday in a blowout win. Imo thats an outstanding job by any playcaller.
Not to mention that he knows his qb is a basket case mentally, and that his mistakes have led to him completely melting down in other games this season.

In that sense, I understand some of the play calling in certain situations.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
AR is the limiting factor here in what Napier feels comfortable calling in a 2 minute offense. Unlike some, I don't think AR is far from having all the lights come on; he just isn't quite there yet.
If this football thing doesn’t work out for AR (I hope it does) he could be a spokesperson for this Sherwin Williams product:
1668429971284.jpeg

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
View attachment 51027

I’m about over my “case of the @ss,” as my granddaddy used to call it. In sports, winning can be a healing salve. Winning and looking pretty good doing it is even better. So I expect us fans, thoroughbreds and jackasses alike, to be finding a better feeling about the recent turn. And a 38-6 thumping of the ‘Cocks is certainly that, comparatively speaking.

Defensively, it’s hard not to notice the flip of the switch that started in the second half a week prior against Texas A&M that continued for four quarters yesterday. Not that I would necessarily consider USCe an offensive juggernaut, but holding them to 237 total yards (44 rushing) and no offensive scores was quite the contrast. Another couple of big stats were holding them to 3/11 on third down conversions and three takeaways. There’s a noticeable difference in the play of the front 6/7. The interior guys are controlling the gaps which is freeing the LBs to scrape and flow. We’re also getting some pressure more consistently from the front with a few blitzes mixed in. As important or maybe more so, the secondary is playing much tighter in coverage as well as run support. Can’t help but think that the light is coming on which allows for less tentative play and fewer instances of paralysis from over-analysis. Kudos to this group from the staff down to the players.

Offensively, our identity is definitely in the ground game. Montrell, ET, and AR rushed for 161, 100, and 96 yds respectively with each scoring a TD. The team total was 374 and a lot of the credit has to go to the OL, anchored by Torrence who is receiving a lot of well-deserved notice, and Sale, who is looking more and more like the best OL coach we’ve had in years as well as a contender for the best in the SEC. Passing, on the other hand, has looked more complimentary as opposed to threatening. While it’s nice to see some youngsters stepping in and doing good things and Pearsall becoming maybe a favored target, the fact remains that AR’s inconsistency is the biggest issue with the throw game. A lot of his misses seem to be behind receivers, leading me to believe he is late with his reads and execution. What’s the cure? More reps, more film, another year in college. If he ever works out the consistency kinks, he’ll be extremely difficult to game plan for, given his rushing ability. I do think his confidence is growing, which is an important part of his development. The sky’s still the limit, but his window at UF grows smaller with each game.

* Punt return was responsible for the ‘Cocks’ lone score and a penalty that set them up with a short field. Certainly work to do there.

* Not nominating him for MVP by any means, but 0 has played more solidly of late. He made a great play running down JuJu McDowell from behind on a sweep. Glad to see the improvement.

* I don’t think the dismissal of one player is the sole reason for our better defensive play, but it’s a known truth that people generally experience an improved demeanor when they have a boil on their @ss removed.

* Am I concerned with the two-minute plan to end the first half? Sure. But in the grand scheme of things, the defense improving is higher on the priority list. I’m not suggesting time management isn’t important, but I am suggesting that there were more issues with this team than might have been realized and while the improvements haven’t been immediate, they are showing up…as expected.

* We’re bowl eligible! Not an end all, but a step along the way to getting back where we expect to be.

Vandy’s looming and they appear to be much better than your Dad’s Vandy. We’ll be tested, but we’re rising as well. It’ll be more of a test than usual I suspect, but with our defense starting to figure things out, we should be in a good position to take the next step in the rebuild.

I’ll close with my sincere wishes that all will feel better and better about the direction of the program. I do, despite a rocky start and any lingering uncertainties. We might not have a highly polished SEC head coach, but the guy knows how to work and I don’t believe will embarrass the University and the fans, at least those of reasonable temperament. Hang in there Gators! I truly believe our better if not best days are ahead. If I’m wrong, I’ll refund your subscriptions :lol:

Go Gators!

:chomp:
Cover, did you mean The Black Ass, as my bud O L Joiner from Lachuway used to call it?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb