Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennessee-Martin

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What did we actually see on Saturday in the Gator's 45-0 victory over game, but outmanned UT-Martin? A slow start with a relatively solid overall game that featured the shock troops in the 4th quarter. Better play from Franks and slightly better play IMO from the OL which allowed for a better ground game than was witnessed against Miami. But let's face it, UT-Martin's D front wasn't Miami's. There's still work to be done. On the defensive side, tackling overall was much better, but we still have some technical issues with the LBs. DL was very solid once more and looked to feature some depth. DB play was better. Short of FG/KO, Special teams didn't play much of a factor, but they didn't have to. In short, we weren't treated to a 70-something to nothing smear, but we took care of business, made some progress, and should be ready for our first conference test against UK. Let's look a little deeper at what transpired in Hawgtown yesterday:

*I have to start with Franks. I am admittedly very critical of his leadership skills and his overall presence as the Gator's QB, but despite the quality of the opponent, I was pleased with his physical performance and proud of the conduct that I could see on the television. I don't recall a lot of mugging for the cameras or other self-aggrandizement that is often at the forefront. I think he's still a hotdog, but I can take him without the relish and other trimmings. I thought he commanded the pocket and showed a lot of patience (hats off to the OL in pass pro). He scanned the field and seemed to go through his progressions pretty well. He ran well when he had to. He was accurate passing the ball. In all, a very solid performance. He should be set to put back-to-back games together. But he is Franks and I remain cautiously optimistic. **Edit** BTW there is no QB controversy. Trask made one great throw and then backed it up with a terrible one. Jones ran better than he passed. Nothing was on display that would make you think Franks wasn't the clear #1.

*A lot of receivers were involved last evening, confirming them as one of the deepest and talented groups we've had in quite some time. Jefferson, Cleve, and Grimes are weapons and Hammonds is about as solid and consistent as we have on the roster. He might not always look spectacular, but he is always reliable. It was also great to see the debut of Jacob Copeland. The glimpse we had was encouraging and confirms some of the great things his teammates had to say about his talent. The laser he caught from Trask was impressive. When Franks has time, these guys can really turn a secondary inside out.

*As stated, the OL was a little better blocking the run, but they still lack a consistent and dominating push. They'll need to take some forward steps against UK. Pass pro was pretty good. Depth remains a concern. Watching the two's in the 4th quarter didn't seem to reveal many diamonds in the rough. Mostly looked like more "not ready for prime time players." The task remains.

*I think we've got three pretty solid backs. It'll be interesting to see how healthy they remain behind the OL. Perine is the legitimate #1, but I'd like to see him get behind his pads a little more. These guys will have to have the OL get better to give us what we will need against better teams.

*The DL remains a team strength with some depth to boot. They might not have duplicated the 10 sacks they had against Miami, but they stuffed the run and contained the QB. Interior line play remains such an important component for a better D and until our LBs play more consistently, the DL's play will be supremely important. They look up to the mark thus far.

*LB play remains inconsistent. We continue to take poor pursuit angles and get lost in coverages (e.g. open wheel route during a blitz). Reese looked decent on the fill, but overall this group looks young and moderately talented. When we play teams with good OL that can neutralize our DL in spells, this group will have to be better than they have been so far.

*DBs looked pretty good in coverage minus a couple of times we let receivers get behind us (Henderson saved us on one of these). They looked to have tackled much better and a couple of the youngsters got their feet wet (Elam et al). I seem to recall a couple of the kids supporting the run and cleaning up that was encouraging. This group is a beneficiary of our DL play as well.

*Pierce was back home Friday before last and told one of my colleagues that Mullen stayed knee-deep in their @sses after the Miami performance. It showed last evening. I felt like he was embarrassed after Miami (and he should have been) and the play this week looked like all were more focused.

*In other SEC news, Jimbo Fisher barely missed going 0-2 on Saturday when F$U narrowly escaped with a 1 point overtime win against Louisiana-Monroe. Had the Nole$ failed, Fisher would have been tagged with the loss since it is his fault for their struggles after he left them talentless. Taggart saved him with a commanding victory over the powerhouse from the bayou country. Luckily, the 37 fans that stormed field after UL-M's missed PAT caused no damage and security was able to quickly restore order.

*The Vols...damn.

*Havent heard Toney's status, but hope it's not serious. He got waylayed when the defender split his two lead blockers and came down hard on his wrist/shoulder. Not aware of any other significant injuries. The team looks to continue to benefit from our S&C and nutrition programs. See Tallahassee for reference.

I'm not sure what to expect from Kentucky as I have yet to watch them. I'm sure they'll bring their best. I'm more worried about what we bring. I guess you can consider us to be on a bit of an uptick, but I'm not wholly convinced of how well we can maintain our consistency. That's the mark of a good team in my mind. Not satisfied with what we've done, but concerned with what we have to do for the next team in front of us. Ideally, we show up tougher and more consistent with our assignments and our toughness. Franks progression will have a large impact. I recall having said this before only to be disappointed. I don't want to be disappointed. Maybe this is the year we grow in a straight line and not a zig zag? We'll know better soon.

Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover pretty much felt the same as you described. Glad to see some of the progress especially better tackling. That will have to continue to improve as SEC play starts. Also glad to see some of the younger guys get some reps especially Elam. We're gonna need the help. Let's hold on and see what happens in Lexington next Saturday night.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I meant to mention was the comment made during the telecast about scheduling the UT-Martin's. We paid them roughly 1/2 million for a warm up win. We could have bought a little better competition for more money, got a little more of a test, and still got a win, but what more would we really have gained? As long as we're in a top conference, I don't have a problem with a couple of cupcakes. Having Miami on the schedule was a bonus and it'd be nice to have a team of their caliber added regularly, but back to the point, I'm alright with a couple of bargain opponents. Who knows when we might need the cash for a buy out :dunno:. Wonder what F$U thinks?

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
What did we actually see on Saturday in the Gator's 45-0 victory over game, but outmanned UT-Martin? A slow start with a relatively solid overall game that featured the shock troops in the 4th quarter. Better play from Franks and slightly better play IMO from the OL which allowed for a better ground game than was witnessed against Miami. But let's face it, UT-Martin's D front wasn't Miami's. There's still work to be done. On the defensive side, tackling overall was much better, but we still have some technical issues with the LBs. DL was very solid once more and looked to feature some depth. DB play was better. Short of FG/KO, Special teams didn't play much of a factor, but they didn't have to. In short, we weren't treated to a 70-something to nothing smear, but we took care of business, made some progress, and should be ready for our first conference test against UK. Let's look a little deeper at what transpired in Hawgtown yesterday:

*I have to start with Franks. I am admittedly very critical of his leadership skills and his overall presence as the Gator's QB, but despite the quality of the opponent, I was pleased with his physical performance and proud of the conduct that I could see on the television. I don't recall a lot of mugging for the cameras or other self-aggrandizement that is often at the forefront. I think he's still a hotdog, but I can take him without the relish and other trimmings. I thought he commanded the pocket and showed a lot of patience (hats off to the OL in pass pro). He scanned the field and seemed to go through his progressions pretty well. He ran well when he had to. He was accurate passing the ball. In all, a very solid performance. He should be set to put back-to-back games together. But he is Franks and I remain cautiously optimistic. **Edit** BTW there is no QB controversy. Trask made one great throw and then backed it up with a terrible one. Jones ran better than he passed. Nothing was on display that would make you think Franks wasn't the clear #1.

*A lot of receivers were involved last evening, confirming them as one of the deepest and talented groups we've had in quite some time. Jefferson, Cleve, and Grimes are weapons and Hammonds is about as solid and consistent as we have on the roster. He might not always look spectacular, but he is always reliable. It was also great to see the debut of Jacob Copeland. The glimpse we had was encouraging and confirms some of the great things his teammates had to say about his talent. The laser he caught from Trask was impressive. When Franks has time, these guys can really turn a secondary inside out.

*As stated, the OL was a little better blocking the run, but they still lack a consistent and dominating push. They'll need to take some forward steps against UK. Pass pro was pretty good. Depth remains a concern. Watching the two's in the 4th quarter didn't seem to reveal many diamonds in the rough. Mostly looked like more "not ready for prime time players." The task remains.

*I think we've got three pretty solid backs. It'll be interesting to see how healthy they remain behind the OL. Perine is the legitimate #1, but I'd like to see him get behind his pads a little more. These guys will have to have the OL get better to give us what we will need against better teams.

*The DL remains a team strength with some depth to boot. They might not have duplicated the 10 sacks they had against Miami, but they stuffed the run and contained the QB. Interior line play remains such an important component for a better D and until our LBs play more consistently, the DL's play will be supremely important. They look up to the mark thus far.

*LB play remains inconsistent. We continue to take poor pursuit angles and get lost in coverages (e.g. open wheel route during a blitz). Reese looked decent on the fill, but overall this group looks young and moderately talented. When we play teams with good OL that can neutralize our DL in spells, this group will have to be better than they have been so far.

*DBs looked pretty good in coverage minus a couple of times we let receivers get behind us (Henderson saved us on one of these). They looked to have tackled much better and a couple of the youngsters got their feet wet (Elam et al). I seem to recall a couple of the kids supporting the run and cleaning up that was encouraging. This group is a beneficiary of our DL play as well.

*Pierce was back home Friday before last and told one of my colleagues that Mullen stayed knee-deep in their @sses after the Miami performance. It showed last evening. I felt like he was embarrassed after Miami (and he should have been) and the play this week looked like all were more focused.

*In other SEC news, Jimbo Fisher narrowly escaped going 0-2 on Saturday when F$U narrowly escaped with a 1 point overtime win against Louisiana-Monroe. Had the Nole$ failed, Fusher would have been tagged with the loss since it is his fault for their struggles since he left them talentless. Taggart saved him with a commanding victory over the powerhouse from the bayou country. Luckily, the 37 fans that stormed field after UL-M's missed PAT caused no damage and security was able to quickly restore order.

*The Vols...damn.

*Havent heard Toney's status, but hope it's not serious. He got waylayed when the defender split his two lead blockers and came down hard on his wrist/shoulder. Not aware of any other significant injuries. The team looks to continue to benefit from our S&C and nutrition programs. See Tallahassee for reference.

I'm not sure what to expect from Kentucky as I have yet to watch them. I'm sure they'll bring their best. I'm more worried about what we bring. I guess you can consider us to be on a bit of an uptick, but I'm not wholly convinced of how well we can maintain our consistency. That's the mark of a good team in my mind. Not satisfied with what we've done, but concerned with what we have to do for the next team in front of us. Ideally, we show up tougher and more consistent with our assignments and our toughness. Franks progression will have a large impact. I recall having said this before only to be disappointed. I don't want to be disappointed. Maybe this is the year we grow in a straight line and not a zig zag? We'll know better soon.

Go Gators!

:chomp:
Thank you cover since I could not stream this game at home here in Mexico. I really look forward to your write ups. It reminds me of living in Florida and watching breakfast with the Gators every Sunday.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good stuff C2. I said this in the game thread, but this game was very ho-hum and we clearly 'out talented' this team. The short passes were very frustrating - or at least the inability to hit intermediate routes.

Kentucky's strength is their run defense - they have a 340lb NT and only gave up 49 yards last night (their pass D gave up over 330 yards). The back-up QB for Kentucky (Sawyer Smith) went 5 of 9 w/ 2 TDs after Wilson got injured. So he got some actual game experience, hopefully our DL can get to him. They have a solid running game even w/ the graduation of Snell. Should be a good game and it's going to be a sold out night game/hostile environment (as hostile as can be at UK).

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In your comments about WRs I see no mention of Jefferson. I don't follow individual players as much as many of you do, but that dude always seems solid out there, just doing his job and taking care of business. If he's the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team then we are as stacked as anybody.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In your comments about WRs I see no mention of Jefferson. I don't follow individual players as much as many of you do, but that dude always seems solid out there, just doing his job and taking care of business. If he's the 4th or 5th best receiver on the team then we are as stacked as anybody.
Mentioned him, but didn't go into detail. Obviously he caught a long one for a score. As you say, he's solid and always does his job. I'm probably guilty of taking him for granted, but he may well be the best of a really talented group.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mentioned him, but didn't go into detail. Obviously he caught a long one for a score. As you say, he's solid and always does his job. I'm probably guilty of taking him for granted, but he may well be the best of a really talented group.

Haha yes you did mention him and I just zoned out.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Nice job Cover.

I agree that the OL looked better but the level of talent on the other side was also diminished from game 1. Mullen being up their butts was confirmed when he dropped the F bomb on his radio interview with Tate Casey at half time. Mullen apologized and said he thought there was a 5 second delay. The offense still concerns me and UK's front 7 can play. We may see a repeat of the UM game with our ground game. Get ready for a heavy dose of bubble screens , and plenty of 3rd and maybe 4th down drama.

The DL looks solid, but I agree there are issues with our LB group. Secondary looked ok and Davis and Elam looked good and maybe Stewart is back this week.

On Franks I still don't know what we have. He throws a great deep ball but still seems late on intermediate routes, and still seems slow in picking up open secondary receivers. With our OL he needs to be quicker . But as you said I don't see Trask or Jones being the answer.
Franks reminds me of the old Terry Bradshaw quote " You can lose with me but you can't win without me".

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A couple young kids that really stood out and are going to be stars IMO:

Elam
Bogle
Copeland

A couple other things that stood out to me:

1. Not new news, but we need more talent at LB.

2. Safeties need to wrap up. I saw Davis blast guys and not wrap up - allowing extra yardage.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent @cover.

I have to give Franks credit yesterday not for his game play but observing him interact with his players and the other team. He does appear to be well received by the players. They do look up to him which appears to show some evidence of leadership. That made me feel a little more comfortable.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
He was accurate passing the ball.

His stats definitely show that, though like Ox observed in his own thread homage to Franks, the playcalls against a lesser team suggest not much trust in Franks.

But, did anyone who might be better able to analyze or saw it in the stadium think many of the screens didn’t work because the passes drew the receiver out of the blocking lane? I thought at least 3-4 times the WR’s blocking had their blocks held but the throw moved the receiver out of the screen and into the defense.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Great stuff as always @cover2 The QB situation is what it is and like the O line, long term anyway, is really a recruiting issue. I too was super impressed by Trask’s TD throw. My perpetual love of underdogs causes me to root for him. I have no delusions of him being our starter and leading us to the promised land, but he seems like a good kid and a good Gator so I was very happy for him. The throw that should have been picked however (can’t remember if it was the very next one or not) was very much a wtf was he thinking and brought me back to reality as to his skill set. My question for you would be do you see a purpose in giving him PT over EJ? If EJ is the future shouldn’t we get him more reps or is it a case of Trask is clearly #2 and if FF goes down, it will be KT time, so CDM needs to give him reps.
My other question was about the OL. Having never played organized football and certainly never coached, I tend to watch the game like most fans: i.e., follow the ball. The score allowed me to try to watch different position groups. What I found distressing was how little domination we showed on running plays. UTM probably didn’t have a single lineman who could ever get on the field for us, yet it seemed they often held their own against our OL. On passing plays, however, it seemed FF had a good amount of time. My question goes to why is one aspect so clearly ahead of the other and did you see enough improvement in technique from the first game to feel encouraged? I had always thought pass pro was more difficult than run blocking, but it seems to not be true for us. Am I wrong? Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen to your response.
P.S. Great anecdote from Pierce on CDM’s reaction to game 1.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent @cover.

I have to give Franks credit yesterday not for his game play but observing him interact with his players and the other team. He does appear to be well received by the players. They do look up to him which appears to show some evidence of leadership. That made me feel a little more comfortable.
Thank you sir. I noticed the same things with his interactions. Wasn't as "me" focused as we have seen. I like this version and think it's more sustainable than the other.

Great stuff as always @cover2 The QB situation is what it is and like the O line, long term anyway, is really a recruiting issue. I too was super impressed by Trask’s TD throw. My perpetual love of underdogs causes me to root for him. I have no delusions of him being our starter and leading us to the promised land, but he seems like a good kid and a good Gator so I was very happy for him. The throw that should have been picked however (can’t remember if it was the very next one or not) was very much a wtf was he thinking and brought me back to reality as to his skill set. My question for you would be do you see a purpose in giving him PT over EJ? If EJ is the future shouldn’t we get him more reps or is it a case of Trask is clearly #2 and if FF goes down, it will be KT time, so CDM needs to give him reps.
My other question was about the OL. Having never played organized football and certainly never coached, I tend to watch the game like most fans: i.e., follow the ball. The score allowed me to try to watch different position groups. What I found distressing was how little domination we showed on running plays. UTM probably didn’t have a single lineman who could ever get on the field for us, yet it seemed they often held their own against our OL. On passing plays, however, it seemed FF had a good amount of time. My question goes to why is one aspect so clearly ahead of the other and did you see enough improvement in technique from the first game to feel encouraged? I had always thought pass pro was more difficult than run blocking, but it seems to not be true for us. Am I wrong? Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen to your response.
P.S. Great anecdote from Pierce on CDM’s reaction to game 1.
Thanks. I have that same feel for underdogs, too. I haven't seen enough of EJ to know what we really have. His running ability is attractive, but I just don't know how far past a first read or one route play he can get right now. One of my buddies that I coached with for several years moved to Heard Co. and coached EJ some and said that he is not only a really good player, but a great young man as well. So I'm hopeful where he is concerned, though I think it's clear he's not yet ready. Trask is probably #2 and could be a good manager perhaps, but I don't know that he's the guy to take the team on his back. Like you say, a great kid and Gator.

Pass pro is easier I guess because there's more passing these days than ever and kids are exposed to it earlier. They learn to kick slide, get their hands on and ride the rushers past the pocket as a tackle and clog it up so to speak as a guard or center. They learn how to communicate to ensure all gaps are accounted for. They do a lot of "catching." Run blocking takes superiority in quickness, strength, and center of gravity. Inexperience hinders all of these. I think that's where we find ourselves currently. We are over-matched and not confident to boot.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lenton was losing ground on the keeper by the slow QB . Walk ones are better then this guy . It’s hard to imagine why he hasn’t been processed. Taylor was out in so must have been suspension. I thought Davis , Bogle and Tj Slaton stood out on defense .
LB coverage is a slight concern as I mentioned in the other thread . But I’m not too worried about that because Brunson shouldn’t be out there much unless we are playing a patsy .

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Anyone more astute that can comment about the apparently bizarre defensive scheme that UT Martin plays? 3-3-5? How that might have affected play calling and passing game?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
His stats definitely show that, though like Ox observed in his own thread homage to Franks, the playcalls against a lesser team suggest not much trust in Franks.

But, did anyone who might be better able to analyze or saw it in the stadium think many of the screens didn’t work because the passes drew the receiver out of the blocking lane? I thought at least 3-4 times the WR’s blocking had their blocks held but the throw moved the receiver out of the screen and into the defense.
Outstanding observation. If the ball is placed quicker and more accurately a lot of those sideways passes are 8-12 yard gainers instead of 2-5.... and that allows us to go up tempo a lot more during the game. The look is also a dead giveaway as we are running those almost exclusively out of empty backfield sets.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thank you sir. I noticed the same things with his interactions. Wasn't as "me" focused as we have seen. I like this version and think it's more sustainable than the other.

Thanks. I have that same feel for underdogs, too. I haven't seen enough of EJ to know what we really have. His running ability is attractive, but I just don't know how far past a first read or one route play he can get right now. One of my buddies that I coached with for several years moved to Heard Co. and coached EJ some and said that he is not only a really good player, but a great young man as well. So I'm hopeful where he is concerned, though I think it's clear he's not yet ready. Trask is probably #2 and could be a good manager perhaps, but I don't know that he's the guy to take the team on his back. Like you say, a great kid and Gator.

Pass pro is easier I guess because there's more passing these days than ever and kids are exposed to it earlier. They learn to kick slide, get their hands on and ride the rushers past the pocket as a tackle and clog it up so to speak as a guard or center. They learn how to communicate to ensure all gaps are accounted for. They do a lot of "catching." Run blocking takes superiority in quickness, strength, and center of gravity. Inexperience hinders all of these. I think that's where we find ourselves currently. We are over-matched and not confident to boot.
Interesting analysis and makes sense. Good info on EJ too. Thanks.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A couple young kids that really stood out and are going to be stars IMO:

Elam
Bogle
Copeland

A couple other things that stood out to me:

1. Not new news, but we need more talent at LB.

2. Safeties need to wrap up. I saw Davis blast guys and not wrap up - allowing extra yardage.
Kimbrough was in early as well and Hill had a nice breakup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator