Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennessee

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Great post as usual. I did not note the players but there was a couple that kept showing up making the plays. We have some luck but most was a result of effort.

Kyle did his part in closing the game and with one really good throw shows to me that he could do the job if called upon. Franks has shown at times a lack of good leadership in getting penalties for mouthing off.

I get tired of the announcers whining that Kyle never started in HS. My understanding is a great QB was in front of him and he did play significant time as second stringer. If needed I think he would do the job as well as Franks, perhaps better.

Dude...Trash didnt have a great QB in front of him. He played in a spread offense and Trash can't run that system, it was clear then and it is clear now. The guy isn't a D1 level QB and was a wasted scholly here. You either go with the guy who is mildly better in Franks or the future in EJ or JJ next year. Don't waste time with a guy who should be playing NAIA

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
One of the things I hate most about watching on TV is the inability to see the whole field. From the glimpses I get though, it sure seems like our passing game is schematically a lot better. I actually see open receivers running routes that make sense, rather than two receivers in the same spot sitting down in between 3 defenders like I'm used to. Would really love to see this with a better line and guy under center who can process and fire.

In total agreement here. You also see when FF gets out of the pocket the receivers do what they should on a scramble play instead of standing around like years past.

Better QB and OL would go a long ways but thats for the future

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Talk about overrated. Gruden. Lucked into a super bowl win with that wimpy Dungy's players, then did nothing. He should have taken the TN job. Actually, he should have proven his intelligence by keeping his Monday Night gig.

THANK YOU FINALLY SOMEONE SEES THIS AND SAYS IT...

So many people think Gruden is some masterful coach...the guy literally lucked his way into a SB with a team that wasnt even put together by him.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Lot of good individual effort during the game as I reflect. Perine’s on side kick recovery, he was alone in a sea of volvs and maintained control of the rock. I think I will rewatch this one, first in a long while

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
THANK YOU FINALLY SOMEONE SEES THIS AND SAYS IT...

So many people think Gruden is some masterful coach...the guy literally lucked his way into a SB with a team that wasnt even put together by him.
I have to agree with me too :-)

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Dude...Trash didnt have a great QB in front of him. He played in a spread offense and Trash can't run that system, it was clear then and it is clear now. The guy isn't a D1 level QB and was a wasted scholly here. You either go with the guy who is mildly better in Franks or the future in EJ or JJ next year. Don't waste time with a guy who should be playing NAIA

I might be wrong but I understood he played quite a bit in mop up time. Now I am talking about this year, it is all that matters to me know. And I seem to remember we have open scollys so no "waste" there. He is a Gator and because of that I don't throw him away no matter your opinion.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Despite the Vols being impotent, hapless, inept, etc., there was a lot to like about the state of preparedness that our Gators brought to the game. The D had a pretty good night, pretty much dominating the line of scrimmage. Secondary was efficient and the LB's made some plays. Turnovers were great to see. Tackling was decidedly better and the intensity looked to be what is expected in a SEC road matchup with one of your big rivals. The offense took advantage of the turnovers and some good field position opportunities. Franks made some nice throws and with a couple exceptions looked to better handle the pressure of the position. We looked to have gained a little something even though UT isn't very good. But it was a conference win, one you were supposed to even though there were probably some among us that had reservations. Bigger games upcoming, but a little confidence and momentum can't hurt. Time for some quick reviews and comments:

*Scarlett looked a little more like the pre-suspension Scarlett. Ran a little tougher. Good if he can regain earlier form and effectiveness. Wish we hadn't lost Davis, but we are good in the backfield.

*Brad Stewart had a coming out party. Better in coverage with a pick and made some good plays as a run stopper. Maybe a harbinger of good things to come with this young position group? Growing up on the run is a requirement for a lot of our younger players for this season and those ahead.

*Defensive front played both strong and quick. Several tackles for loss and a lot of pressure on the QB. Zuniga, Polite, Slaton all had some good plays. When we can both control the LOS and rush the passer effectively, it makes it easier for the LBs to clean up and the secondary to cover with little reason to peek.

*Even though Coach Mullen said Pierce earned more carries, he didn't get his until the second half. But what a great first run. Nice subtle cut inside off his lead block for a long TD run. Kid's gonna be a good one as long as he stays healthy and straight. But you knew that already, didn't you? More please.

*I was ready to fire Cleveland after his drop, but he made up for it with a nice TD catch. Wasn't the easiest catch to make either. Guy seems to like stickin' it to the Vols. Who among us doesn't?

*OL had to play a little better, didn't they? We got a better push against their DL and were able to generate some yards on the ground. A couple of protection breakdowns, but Franks had time for the most part. Still work to be done and we've got better teams ahead, so I'm not going to jump up and down too much.

*Freddy Swain...my man! I've bragged on him and he keeps delivering. Initially liked the depth that he added to the receiving corps, but he's looking like a budding star. Heard Lee say that he has already equaled his previous career TD total with three receiving this year already. Keep growing young man.

*The early onside kick by UT...you convert and you're fearless. You don't and you're desperate. Desperate it is. Perine did a good job of fielding on that play. Pruitt's got his work cut out for him, but there's a reason he was a late round draft pick. Who am I kidding? More like signing a free agent contract. Still got a SEC gig I guess.

*Anybody send a congratulatory text to Willie T. up in Tally? Finally got a signature victory. My Nole in-laws are already crying about the possibility of ending a 40 streak of winning seasons and likely not making a bowl. Karma is the proverbial female dog.

Of course our enthusiasm has to be tempered somewhat, but there is something to be enthusiastic about as previously mentioned. As bad as we hated to lose to UK, and they are a better team than they have been with a decisive win over MissSt, we have been able to move some beyond it, which must be done. If we can take the positives of this game into the next, we'll have a chance. You have to think that our confidence has to have grown some, important for a young squad who had to have had some doubts after UK and the way the prior season played out. But when you get down to it, that was an expectation that Coach Mullen had placed upon him when hired. F' the psychologists, this is still a man's game even if it doesn't always look like it. I'll take a blow out win over a limping opponent rather than one that was a little too close for comfort against the same. Next game needs to be another step in the right direction. Go Gators!

:chomp:
Great post as always. I enjoy the read on Sunday am. It's Sunday breakfast with C2. It feels like you aren't taking too much from this game though. Is that accurate? UT is just plain awful. Which is great. Schadenfreude.

Talk about overrated. Gruden. Lucked into a super bowl win with that wimpy Dungy's players, then did nothing. He should have taken the TN job. Actually, he should have proven his intelligence by keeping his Monday Night gig.

Dungy was never going to beat Philly for whatever reason. Gruden gave them the juice to do that and then the Raider coach was so dumb he never changed their signals and play calls. The Bucs knew everything Oakland was gonna do pre-snap. Epic win.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Great post as always. I enjoy the read on Sunday am. It's Sunday breakfast with C2. It feels like you aren't taking too much from this game though. Is that accurate? UT is just plain awful. Which is great. Schadenfreude.

Dungy was never going to beat Philly for whatever reason. Gruden gave them the juice to do that and then the Raider coach was so dumb he never changed their signals and play calls. The Bucs knew everything Oakland was gonna do pre-snap. Epic win.
Dungy didn't have the championship mentality or killer instinct. He was one of those guys that "was just happy to be here." A moralvictoryist.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Good game summary by C2 and as usual very well written. I too see improvements on both sides of the ball. Our defense looked like a different unit with Reese back and Ce Ce making an impact. Tough hit on the Vol QB but it didn't look deliberate. Franks and the offense showed improvement but as Coach Mullen says lacked consistency. I may have missed it but did Franks ever attempt or complete any passes to his left? It looks like the play calling is almost totally right side dominated. I keep waiting for him to look off his primary receiver and check down to someone like Scarlett in the left flat. Trask threw one pass and it was to his left. I am shocked that anyone from UT was in the area. Anyway very solid win and now we need to continue to build on the momentum. I did flip over a couple of times to UK/MSU and The Bulldogs got whipped on both sides of the ball. I suspect they will be in a very nasty frame of mind next week. But there shouldn't be many surprises for our coaching staff. Smash mouth ball will be on full display.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Lot of good individual effort during the game as I reflect. Perine’s on side kick recovery, he was alone in a sea of volvs and maintained control of the rock. I think I will rewatch this one, first in a long while

Yea that was epic.
giphy.gif

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Rex. Best take I got was that we beat our rival on the road and looked some improved. But they were pretty bad so we look anxiously ahead for continued growth and development against better teams. This was one we should've won and did. We'll have to work harder down the road and will need the momentum and confidence from a game like this to carry over.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Great analysis as always, C2! I appreciate your knowledgeable and level-headed posts to help me gauge the team’s performance without the pumper glasses on.

Everyone pretty much covered all the bases, but I don’t think anyone mentioned this - an underrated factor is...

#puntersarepeopletoo!

I think many just assumed Tommy Townsend would simply pick up where big bro left off. Fortunately for us, he DID. Great distance and hang time to flip the field while also showing accuracy to pin opponents inside the 10 (and last night, the 2!).

Honorable Mention for the TFr KR Evan McPherson for adequately replacing Eddie P.

Go Gators!!!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Don’t necessarily disagree but really need to see him in some extended action to really pass judgement. Just don’t really know what development has taken place with him.

But why call him Trash? Because the kid accepted the scholarship offer? I don’t get treating our players like they were Noles or Dawgs. Probably the biggest change I’ve seen over the years. We used to reserve this for our rivals rather than our own.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Despite the Vols being impotent, hapless, inept, etc., there was a lot to like about the state of preparedness that our Gators brought to the game. The D had a pretty good night, pretty much dominating the line of scrimmage. Secondary was efficient and the LB's made some plays. Turnovers were great to see. Tackling was decidedly better and the intensity looked to be what is expected in a SEC road matchup with one of your big rivals. The offense took advantage of the turnovers and some good field position opportunities. Franks made some nice throws and with a couple exceptions looked to better handle the pressure of the position. We looked to have gained a little something even though UT isn't very good. But it was a conference win, one you were supposed to even though there were probably some among us that had reservations. Bigger games upcoming, but a little confidence and momentum can't hurt. Time for some quick reviews and comments:

*Scarlett looked a little more like the pre-suspension Scarlett. Ran a little tougher. Good if he can regain earlier form and effectiveness. Wish we hadn't lost Davis, but we are good in the backfield.

*Brad Stewart had a coming out party. Better in coverage with a pick and made some good plays as a run stopper. Maybe a harbinger of good things to come with this young position group? Growing up on the run is a requirement for a lot of our younger players for this season and those ahead.

*Defensive front played both strong and quick. Several tackles for loss and a lot of pressure on the QB. Zuniga, Polite, Slaton all had some good plays. When we can both control the LOS and rush the passer effectively, it makes it easier for the LBs to clean up and the secondary to cover with little reason to peek.

*Even though Coach Mullen said Pierce earned more carries, he didn't get his until the second half. But what a great first run. Nice subtle cut inside off his lead block for a long TD run. Kid's gonna be a good one as long as he stays healthy and straight. But you knew that already, didn't you? More please.

*I was ready to fire Cleveland after his drop, but he made up for it with a nice TD catch. Wasn't the easiest catch to make either. Guy seems to like stickin' it to the Vols. Who among us doesn't?

*OL had to play a little better, didn't they? We got a better push against their DL and were able to generate some yards on the ground. A couple of protection breakdowns, but Franks had time for the most part. Still work to be done and we've got better teams ahead, so I'm not going to jump up and down too much.

*Freddy Swain...my man! I've bragged on him and he keeps delivering. Initially liked the depth that he added to the receiving corps, but he's looking like a budding star. Heard Lee say that he has already equaled his previous career TD total with three receiving this year already. Keep growing young man.

*The early onside kick by UT...you convert and you're fearless. You don't and you're desperate. Desperate it is. Perine did a good job of fielding on that play. Pruitt's got his work cut out for him, but there's a reason he was a late round draft pick. Who am I kidding? More like signing a free agent contract. Still got a SEC gig I guess.

*Anybody send a congratulatory text to Willie T. up in Tally? Finally got a signature victory. My Nole in-laws are already crying about the possibility of ending a 40 streak of winning seasons and likely not making a bowl. Karma is the proverbial female dog.

Of course our enthusiasm has to be tempered somewhat, but there is something to be enthusiastic about as previously mentioned. As bad as we hated to lose to UK, and they are a better team than they have been with a decisive win over MissSt, we have been able to move some beyond it, which must be done. If we can take the positives of this game into the next, we'll have a chance. You have to think that our confidence has to have grown some, important for a young squad who had to have had some doubts after UK and the way the prior season played out. But when you get down to it, that was an expectation that Coach Mullen had placed upon him when hired. F' the psychologists, this is still a man's game even if it doesn't always look like it. I'll take a blow out win over a limping opponent rather than one that was a little too close for comfort against the same. Next game needs to be another step in the right direction. Go Gators!

:chomp:
Thanx C2 for your usual top-knotch insight.

The game was chock-full of big plays but in my opinion none bigger than this sequence: onside kick, Townsend punt, Cleveland catch to down punt and subsequent safety. I've been a Gator fan since 1975 and don't recall ever being as excited to watch special team plays as I am now. Perrine's extraordinary recovery of a surprise onside kick cost the Vols a huge chunk of field position. Townsend answered the bell by dropping a perfect punt about the two-yard line allowing Cleveland to make (IMO) his best catch of the night. WOW. The defense took the baton from there recording a safety. Great sequence.

Tennessee had a chance to pin Gators deep on Stewart's interception but their dunderhead coach drew a 15 yarder unsportsmanlike giving UF much better field position. Thought that was big play not much talked about.

Looking forward to special teams in Starkville next week.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
But why call him Trash? Because the kid accepted the scholarship offer? I don’t get treating our players like they were Noles or Dawgs. Probably the biggest change I’ve seen over the years. We used to reserve this for our rivals rather than our own.

He was trying to impress the donk?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
hmmmmm.... I haven't really watched everything yet today but every time I noticed Ce Ce he was getting blown up on run plays. I don't pay too much attention to pass rushing though.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
hmmmmm.... I haven't really watched everything yet today but every time I know to Ce Ce he was getting blown up.

I mentioned in another thread that when I have seen CeCe on the field, he appears to have mailed it in and is not giving max. effort. However it was than pointed out that perhaps his injury is still not 100%. Can't say for sure, but I hope he is not just going thru the motions.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Amen!. I don't get the name calling of a Gator who has done nothing wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb