Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennessee

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
So because there are like 2 or 3 people who have been dumpers for years, that means "yall" might want to throttle back?

Most of us talk about the ups and downs of the game and joke around.

Clearly you've never spent a second in the chatterbox during the game, but that's okay, it's not for those that get sandy vaginas easily. And God forbid anyone try to be humorous.

Some of you tards take this schit way too seriously.

When I said “I have no idea who is in the chat box,” you CLEARLY didn’t comprehend that comment was an admission that I HAVEN’T spent a single second in the chat box. I overgeneralized based on a few comments about how crazy it gets, but I have absolutely no idea what was said that caused cover to think he should retire.

Cover is indispensable and so are you. Who else will we find to keep the midget jokes alive?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We can look at certain calls from Napier and say he was too aggressive and that's why we lost the game. You can also argue that the only reason why the game was close was because of his decisions to be agressive. I love a coach who plays to win and not to lose. Sure, I would have elected to kick a field goal on the first drive and not gone for 2 in the 4th, but I also wouldn't have attempted so many 4th down conversions, most if which resulted in points we wouldn't of had otherwise. The man's got balls, and I think Richardson and the offense rallied behind the confidence he had in them.

Well, we can nitpick at a bunch of different things, but what hurt the most is that Tennessee never had a punt and they outrushed Florida with well over 200 yards on the ground. Tennessee cannot beat Florida without out rushing Florida. Their run defense came to play, while ours are still learning how to play. Plus, that was the best and hardest I've seen UT play since 2004. That diving catch, good grief. They haven't made a play like that against us in decades. We've got some catching up to do, and under Napier, I'm confident that will happen.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I said “I have no idea who is in the chat box,” you CLEARLY didn’t comprehend that comment was an admission that I HAVEN’T spent a single second in the chat box. I overgeneralized based on a few comments about how crazy it gets, but I have absolutely no idea what was said that caused cover to think he should retire.

Cover is indispensable and so are you. Who else will we find to keep the midget jokes alive?
@Born2beagator

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We can look at certain calls from Napier and say he was too aggressive and that's why we lost the game. You can also argue that the only reason why the game was close was because of his decisions to be agressive. I love a coach who plays to win and not to lose. Sure, I would have elected to kick a field goal on the first drive and not gone for 2 in the 4th, but I also wouldn't have attempted so many 4th down conversions, most if which resulted in points we wouldn't of had otherwise. The man's got balls, and I think Richardson and the offense rallied behind the confidence he had in them.

Well, we can nitpick at a bunch of different things, but what hurt the most is that Tennessee never had a punt and they outrushed Florida with well over 200 yards on the ground. Tennessee cannot beat Florida without out rushing Florida. Their run defense came to play, while ours are still learning how to play. Plus, that was the best and hardest I've seen UT play since 2004. That diving catch, good grief. They haven't made a play like that against us in decades. We've got some catching up to do, and under Napier, I'm confident that will happen.
I also like that he got in the ref's shyt on the call late in the first half. And all it got us was a 6" penalty. In the long run, it showed his team he will defend them and has their back. I am confident as you this will pay dividends in the future.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This stuff didn’t happen when urg was a moderator :popcorn:
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Good post! I like an aggressive approach. I also reserve the right to selective nitpicking. :lol:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Definitely sad news. I always look forward to your educated analysis and well thought out opinions delivered with your eloquent writing style. It will most definitely be missed.

On the other hand we aren't paying you anything for it so have no right to demand you continue. If you change your mind, your readership will certainly be here anxiously awaiting the next installment of Bits & Pieces. If not, I wish you nothing but the best and hopefully you will still post occasionally in the Main Sorts Forum.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

This is how I feel . If we take the field goal in the 1st then we're not chasing points later and the games tied at the end. But on the other hand if we don't go for all the other 4th downs we get blown out

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when there used to be a game thread for each half. The chatter box killed that. Now it’s killed cover2’s weekly analysis.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
There were a lot of bad decisions, but I don't personally think that TO was one of them - it just looks that way in hindsight. If UT doesn't pick up that first, UF gets the ball with great field position and can get some more points before the half. Napier was playing to win, some may think in a stupid way, I get that. However, you can't accuse the man of not playing to win. In fact, that may have been the most aggressive in a single game I've ever seen out of a UF coach.

It was an aggressive decision that didn't work out, because our defense couldn't make a single effing stop all night. The miracle diving catch that asshat made didn't help, either.

That aggression prompted them to be aggressive in response--instead of letting the clock run down and running a safe play on 3rd down with about a minute left, we tipped our hand that we'd be gunning for points to end the half and tinerc went out to get the 1st down and then downfield.

I don't necessarily mind the aggression, but perhaps let the clock wind down after 2nd down, let them play it safe, and then call the TO after we stop them on 3rd down. We'll still get the ball with good field position, can hit a few quick passes to attempt a long FG and go into halftime up 17-10 instead of being down 17-14.

The end-result as it stood was it forced us to play catch-up the entire 2nd half with a defense that was a turnstile for the 2nd straight week.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This is how I feel . If we take the field goal in the 1st then we're not chasing points later and the games tied at the end. But on the other hand if we don't go for all the other 4th downs we get blown out

Why would taking the points on the first drive preclude us from going for it on 4th down on the other occasions?

Many of the other 4th down calls came with us being just outside FG range or when we were behind by 2 scores and needed the TD. About the only time that was extremely gutsy was when we went for it on the 37 yd line of our own half and then got the 35 yd pass to Shorter.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Gators lost to Tennessee today 38-33. They were better in some respects, great comeback try at the end, but not good enough yet to beat a better team. Too many big plays surrendered, almost all due to cover blows. Lot of work ahead.

Ox, thanks for the opportunity to have put my scribbles out for digestion. I have enjoyed it. Yours is the best site going.

Readers, friends, fellow fans, I appreciate your patronage. I’d contemplated not returning this year, but have been and remain excited about the future. But I did a dumb thing that I usually never do…I went in the Chat Box during the game. There wasn’t much hope to be found. It dawned on me that I’ve got nothing at this point to change that trajectory. So, I’m retired. Best to all.

Go Gators
:chomp:
Animated GIF

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Cover, I look forward to the insight in your column every week and I will certainly miss it. I hope you aren't leaving the board completely because your commentary in other threads is always insightful or funny or both. Thank you for all you have done.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Hey Cover,

I will miss your "Bits and Pieces" Sunday summaries. They were well written,, insightful, and funny. I have never engaged in the chat room, however if it mirrors the current state of affairs in the Country , I have a good idea of of what you saw.
I did not see the game and it is on my DVR. We went to visit my Gator son in Durham , and took in a Bulls baseball game. Great stadium, and good fans to be around.
I did meet a USC Cock at a brewery called Hi Wire and we commiserated about the state of football for our respective teams. A lot of agreement on the bad coaching hires , and how coaches like Mullen, and Spurrier (his words) left the cupboard bare of required talent and depth. We both have also re calibrated our expectations and realize that Beamer and Napier need 2 to 3 years of building to get their teams where we all want them to be.
This year I used my brain instead of my heart to set my exceptions which landed around a target of 7-5 with best case 8-4. For me the season will come down to a must win over the Semis. Mullen did screw us by his lack of oversight and management of our once elite program . Napier gives me renewed confidence that with his new organization , his leadership, and his vision for success, we will be a national contender again. In the meantime , I would like to see you contribute again, but understand why you would not.

Go Gators !

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Nah, Cover... don't give up on us just yet. We're just passionate and tired of seeing our beloved Gators struggle for so long. You are definitely appreciated and needed. In this feel good, "I'm a victim", "look at me", no winners, everyone gets a trophy era, your perspective as a grizzled, veteran coach provides a level of clarity and balance that people struggle to see in this God forsaken world we currently find ourselves in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.