Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Vanderbilt (and Hurricane Michael)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator fans and Chatter members...first of all, I hope everyone is safe and doing ok after the storm. I really appreciate the concerns and it makes me proud to be associated with such a good bunch. I'm at school today preparing for a softball playoff series, so I thought I'd do some catching up since we are still without power and internet at home. I hope that @LagoonGator68 , @Tunaboat , @Durty South Swamp and any of our other friends at the coast are ok. We've had a time share at Mexico Beach for years and that whole place as most know looks like Hiroshima. Incredible. But perspective comes from these situations, whether we want it or not and in my particular instance, even though we likely will be without power for another 1-3 weeks, we are pretty fortunate. Living off of generators isn't ideal, but we can get by. Told @Detroitgator that we have an assortment of fish cookers and grills to cook on and one generator keeps the pump going to supply the houses with water and keeps the cattle supplied. Makes you appreciate what we normally have and also that we could be a lot worse off than we are. Others were not so fortunate and our prayers go out for them.

As for our Gators, I got to watch the game at my mother's house via generator assisted satellite. Like most, I was raising cane after the first half. Looked like as good as our preparations had been prior, we came out pretty unfocused. Franks' turnovers were definite downers, though the interception was as much the palycaller's fault IMO as the execution (more on this later). Thankfully, we were able to square things up in the second half and come away with victory even if it was much harder than it probably should have been. Let's look at a few specifics...

*The D was not what we had come to expect from the past two games. No pressure early and giving up a 75 yard screen pass was pretty disheartening. Credit Vandy's OC, as they cleared the left side and when Reese false keyed to the right side, it was smooth sailing for the Vandy RB. That's why it's so important to be fundamentally and technically sound on your assignments.

*As good as the LBs and Joseph in particular had been, they look pretty reckless for much of the game. Joseph's ejection might have been questionable, but his suplex of the Vandy back was pretty dumb. Like many of our defenders, he's getting better, but he ain't all that just yet. Playing with a controlled fury is so important for that side of the ball.

*Not saying the officials were on the take, but that was a poor crew IMO. I thought that Vandy's OL pretty much did as they pleased, especially in pass pro. but we were able to overcome. Hopefully the message from the game is that we didn't fold (when last year's team would have packed it in at the half) and we persevered. Good football and life lesson, particularly for our players given their experience level and the coaching (or lack thereof) that they have previously been exposed to.

*Franks' pick...I wasn't crazy with the call (quick slant from a tight formation), but when looking at the replays and seeing the DL standing tall, it was no wonder the ball was deflected. I know I'm old and things have changed, but at one time that play would have called for a cut block to get the defenders' hands down.

*Perine and Scarlett had good games and the OL did enough to help the rushing attack pay dividends. Pierce got the early action we all have clamored for. Unfortunately, he coughed the ball up (he only had one lost fumble in four years of HS ball), but had some good runs. Impressive to me that Mullen didn't do like some coaches and fired him for the rest of the game. Sticking back in there was a confidence builder and showed how much the kid is and will be counted on.

*I think we've got something better than we thought in Mullen, even though the jury is still out. A lot of coaches would have lost that one though it can be argued we never should have been in that position. Hey, it's Vandy, the weak sister that we always seem to struggle with and we kept alive the streak of not having lost in their stadium since 1988 (I think).

*I was pissed at Mason when he got into the exchange with Mullen when he had the injured player on our side of the field, but emotions run high in football games and it was good to see them with it worked out at the end. I'd rather see that rather than a melee at the 50 post game. As far as the injured player, it's still hard for me to reconcile a targeting call for well executed peel back on a punt return. Crucify me for lack of concern for safety, but that's how we coached punt return when I was still active. Whatever happened to keeping your head on a swivel?

*With the Dawgs' loss to Ed O and the Tiggers, we have a hope that no one could have forecast at the beginning of the season. I'm happy, but don't want to get to far ahead of myself. I have to remember that we are rebuilding even if we've had greater success thus far than was imagined. Pups are up next and are beatable. That is the next step and we should bring our best to Jax for that one. How our D handles Fromm, their backs and receivers is important, but how our O does in terms of scoring and controlling the ball might be the big key.

I apologize that this edition doesn't have as much as I normally try and discuss, but the timing has me kind of off kilter. Maybe things will be back to normal for the Cocktail Party and we can enjoy our usual dissection. Until then, I wish well for all affected by the storm and a swift return to normal. As always, Go Gators!

:chomp:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great that you are doing well, and thanks for the input. We do have a ways to go to become a good team, especially in being consistent and disciplined.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Events like this certainly provide "perspective", something we lack far too often. We suffered significant property loss during Hurricanes Frances and Ivan in 2004 even though we're tucked away in the mountains of Western North Carolina. It was a great reminder that stuff is just stuff and the lives of people we're invested in is what really matters. Glad to hear you and your family are recovering.

Good analysis as usual. That is certainly a game Gator teams of the last half decade would have lost.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
As usual great analysis C2! I am also glad to hear you and your family are ok after all that you have been through.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good to see you doing ok from the storm.

The peel back block generated a lot of back and forth here, led with his shoulder.. but if it is a rule now, coaches will teach players to run with their heads faced to the side while shooting an eye out, hoping to get a call.

We need to eliminate the turnovers, and keep the penalties down when we face the dawgs. Remind them they are our biatches, send them on a 2 game losing streak and hit the home stretch for the East to get ready for Atlanta.

Go Gators!

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If I could give all the likes I have to that post I would. Not because of the analysis which is spot on as usual but because you're OK.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to finally hear from you. Had me wondering. Hang in there.

One of the worst crews that I have seen in the S-crewed E-very C-all. They damn near let the game get out of control with the Mason jawjacking incident. Terrible call on the Peelback. When you hit a player that hard his head will go forward therefore you may have contact. It's football and I think its BS.

Pups are very much beatable. Glad you all are safe and will look for you a week from Sunday!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:grouphug::highfive:

Glad you’re ok my friend... Go Gator!
Agree, it’s a thin line between being civilized and living the bush life... hurricanes, no power, phone and water makes that clear real quick. Again, keep keeping on.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Great recap C2 and most importantly glad you and your family are safe. Hang in there and you always have this board's support.

I agree with your recap and find it funny that I caught hell for that RPO on our first drive with it 2nd down and 1 yd. to go on the VU 5yd. line. You had just ripped off a 9 yd. run. Why not run it again? Franks had no intention of handing that ball off and was going to throw it regardless when he left the huddle. Why put a mentally challenged QB in that spot? High risk/little reward vs. other play call options is not my cup of tea. It boggles me b/c Cousin Eddie actually had some beautiful play calls in that game in regards to timing, forget about the result. They were well thought, timely calls. I just think when against an even opponent, those few plays can make a difference in the result.

thanx for giving us the belated recap. Stay well and safe!!!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Glad you're ok brother. My family was spared as well but as you mentioned, PC is a warzone too. Very sad, will take years to recover. Good Bless you my friend.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Great recap C2 and most importantly glad you and your family are safe. Hang in there and you always have this board's support.

I agree with your recap and find it funny that I caught hell for that RPO on our first drive with it 2nd down and 1 yd. to go on the VU 5yd. line. You had just ripped off a 9 yd. run. Why not run it again? Franks had no intention of handing that ball off and was going to throw it regardless when he left the huddle. Why put a mentally challenged QB in that spot? High risk/little reward vs. other play call options is not my cup of tea. It boggles me b/c Cousin Eddie actually had some beautiful play calls in that game in regards to timing, forget about the result. They were well thought, timely calls. I just think when against an even opponent, those few plays can make a difference in the result.

thanx for giving us the belated recap. Stay well and safe!!!!

Weak. The kid is a good gator. What is his GPA? ACT score? Get over yourself.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to hear you're doing well big man. Bit and Pieces is always a joy to read.
I couldn't help but notice you didn't mention the fake punt. I felt much better
about the game after we cut it down to 1, and was glad to see Dan take the XP.
I'm never a fan of going for 2 before Q4. Thanks for everything you do C2.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Hey did you hear about that doctor from Cleveland, Tennessee who built a house with his uncle at Mexico Beach right on the Gulf? They built the house to exceed building codes. Cost about 20% more to build. The house came through the storm in really good shape while all the structures around it were destroyed. I saw him being interviewed by Neal Cavutto on Fox News. Maybe a lesson in there.

As with everyone glad you and your family are ok. And as the doctor’s Beach house did, you exceed expectations.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
If I could give all the likes I have to that post I would. Not because of the analysis which is spot on as usual but because you're OK.

C2 is on point, as always - though particularly with the comment of perspective. It's obvious how much more pleased everyone is to just hear from C2 and know he's ok than dissect the game. Glad you're ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb