Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Vanderbilt

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
upload_2021-10-10_12-49-1.jpeg

I’m late with the article. You’ll have to forgive me, I had duty at the Homecoming dance last night. Didn’t get home until midnight and I just didn’t have it in me to stay up. Vandy, I guess, has a way of affecting you like that also. I know full well that news served late is akin to fish served likewise, but I’m willing to take the risk. The Gators put away the Commodores in short fashion yesterday. The 42-0 final score felt closer than the game actually was. But it was homecoming, the 99th time in school history maybe, and everyone went home happy. Well, some did. Others who’ve fretted over our two early conference losses probably didn’t, but there’s not much that will change that at the moment.

Truthfully, it’s hard to be satisfied with a game like this. Kinda like picking up Taco Bell when a good ribeye with all the trimmings was what you’re hungry for. Too bad we missed out on the steak, twice, earlier in the season. Those previous Burrito and Crunchwrap moral victories just don’t fill you up. Maybe I’m picking nits here, but I’m having a hard time with where we are in the SEC scheme of things, particularly with the Dawgs looking pretty stout and Bama not so much.

upload_2021-10-10_13-18-30.jpeg

Where Bama is concerned, their loss in College Station yesterday was a bit of a surprise to some; to others, it was imminent for a team that wasn’t quite as experienced or potent offensively as it was accustomed to being. Love him or hate him, I couldn’t help but contrast Saban’s comments post game to those of Mullen after UK. Even though his team outgained A&M 522 to 379, ran 24 more plays, and had the ball 7 minutes longer, there was no hint of satisfaction. Quite frankly put, Saban stated that his team “didn’t execute the plays needed to win and A&M did.” End of story. Had we been fed likewise after a similar outcome, maybe a homecoming rout would not seem so melodramatic? But I’m digressing here and they’ve got Saban and we ain’t. So on to the salient points…

*One positive from yesterday was that we took some shots down the field. Although most were lock-ons or one route reads, it was nice to see and that we scored a couple of times makes me think that maybe we are growing some offensively? Likely not by leaps and bounds, but growing. Emory was 14/22 for 273 yds with 4 TDs and a pick. If it were against anyone else but Vandy, it wouldn’t seem so middling. But I think that’s really better than that on a day when we weren’t quite as good on the ground as we have been (181 yds with 28 coming on a fake punt).

*Another positive was Mullen chewing on the officials some. Maybe he’s either taking criticism that he’s a little too meek to heart or just borrowing a page from some of his SEC contemporaries. Either way, I’m glad to see him aggressive in that way, at least for a day. It might have helped some on Dean’s targeting call being overturned. If it didn’t, at least the optics were favorable.

*I can’t say I was thrilled about Richardson’s part in the game plan. But this is vintage Mullen and I’m certain he’s decided that Emory needs all the confidence building he can get.

*The penalty issue, though not quite as bad as last week, hasn’t been resolved. Eight flags for 80 yds will get us beat against a competent opponent. The story this tells is that attention to that detail, possibly involving substitute players, is lacking.

*Never heard what was going on with Malik Davis, but Wright stepped up and looked pretty good with his touches. I was hoping Pierce might get some more touches, but he did score three times and his hash route was a nice hook up by Emory.

*Thumbs up on the throwback unis.

*We held Vandy to 88 yds on the ground, even though their backs, #42 in particular, seemed to escape from a lot of first contacts. The DL did a pretty good job in the tackle box and had 3 sacks and a lot of hurries on the QB. Many feel that the front 6/7 are our strength and despite lulls against Bama and UK, they have warranted that distinction.

*We had two picks! Been a while since that’s happened. Maybe the secondary is starting to develop that instinct? Or, Vandy’s just pretty much crap :dunno: Whichever, maybe this will help with some much needed confidence from this group. Shout out to Torrence who was officially credited with 5 tackles and 10 assists.

*Tell me Big Head Todd’s group isn’t starting to grow on you? Here lately, they seem to be growing up a little and maybe playing good enough for us to have a great chance to win when the O clicks and does not turn it over. Don’t recall a bunch of uncovered receivers, either. Ok, I doubt he’ll be given the key to the city anytime soon, but I am happier with them overall than I have been in a while…as long as they continue to trend upward.

*There needs to be an asterisk by the shutout with the Vandy kicker’s name on it! Still glad to have the goose egg. And hasn’t Vandy been our HC opponent more than anyone?

The Vandy celebration actually ended the moment the clock hit 00:00 yesterday. I hope that Dan remembers the LSU game last year. He should, as the stench of the loss born from looking past and failing to prepare is still in our collective nostrils. A win won’t cure all the ills from then or since, but it will be a first step on an upward climb and we’ll need the momentum potentially generated to carry us toward Jacksonville where a sharp test awaits. This much, LSU and UGA, we still have to play for and nothing less than a best effort will get the job done. Let’s see if we can’t get better starting Saturday against the Coon @sses. Go Gators!

:chomp:

*Nothing stupid this time!

upload_2021-10-10_14-24-24.jpeg

Last edited:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Nice write up as always C2.
I get the impression DM is trying to make Jones the center of the offense, where there are more than enough playmakers around to just let Jones be a game manager. I get that from the deep throw reads you mentioned. It’s like DM’s reputation as the QB whisperer is on the line and by god he’s going to make Jones a QB.
He’s a running back that can throw. He shouldn’t have more than 10 attempts per game.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Did they spy AR or just load up the box. I couldn't tell. If they know superman isn't going to throw then he's not going to go anywhere on the ground. We won't know whether he resembles superman unless Dan takes the shackles off. There was no better opportunity than this game to do it, so I guess we won't know.

Emory may have gone deep, but meh, he was too long or too short on most attempts. I think the jury's in. If I'm a D coordinator on a decent team, I don't fear long throws from EJ. Long season ahead.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Nice work Cover ! Sounds like you probably missed the end of the TAMU Bama game. Every Saturday seems to produce games and plays that are amazing . Yesterday was no exception and as unfulfilling as this season is for Gator Nation at least we are not Texas. Blow a huge lead then watch your bitter rival knock off number 1.
A win is a win but it remains to be seen if we can build on it. LSU looks beatable ,but we made Johnson look like Joe Montana last year , and no reason to expect anything different. The early start probably helps us, and if we can stay close until while we sleep walk through the first half we should be ok.
I liked the throwback jerseys but not the helmets. The Interlocking UF was a favorite of Doug Dickey's and it brought back too many memories of the bad old 70's.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We've got the description of how EJ plays quarterback = he sees only receivers when they're turned facing him, totally wide open. Only then can he hit them.? His arm-speed is way too slow, so the pass lingers in air for maximum knockdown or interception or too little time for WR to have time-space for YAC = No slam-bam quickstrike capability.

AR has had his instinct launch tied down to the point that he's a poor imitation of Emory. To get QB-guru credit Mullen has to remove originality and insert imitations. Bad recruiting benefits every SEC team other than UF. With that, we'll stay in the bottom half of the SEC -- preordaned by Dan Mullen. Aren't they recruiting struggling performances.?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Oh yeah, very apropos write-up, Cover. A proper blend of bland: just like our playing.
Here's hoping excitement (full-on AR) is on the way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Did they spy AR or just load up the box..
I didn't spend any time with it but at first glance (and only seeing what is on the TV not the whole field), they crashed the unblocked DE on AR forcing him to give, had a spy on passing plays and tended to play off more rather than crowding the box like they do vs EJ.

Until we make someone pay, expect to see that with AR and EJ. Mark Stoops wrote the book.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
*We had two picks! Been a while since that’s happened. Maybe the secondary is starting to develop that instinct? Or, Vandy’s just pretty much crap :dunno: Whichever, maybe this will help with some much needed confidence from this group. Shout out to Torrence who was officially credited with 5 tackles and 10 assists.

*Tell me Big Head Todd’s group isn’t starting to grow on you? Here lately, they seem to be growing up a little and maybe playing good enough for us to have a great chance to win when the O clicks and does not turn it over. Don’t recall a bunch of uncovered receivers, either. Ok, I doubt he’ll be given the key to the city anytime soon, but I am happier with them overall than I have been in a while…as long as they continue to trend upward.

Huh? Did you watch a different game than the rest of us?

Our secondary had ONE pick....the other was a Defensive TACKLE!! No, they aren't developing 'instinct'. Put that to bed now.

Fat Todd's defense allowed FORTY-NINE OFFENSIVE PLAYS in a single half of football...to VANDERBILT! Plus 20+ minutes of TOS. And we're supposed to think his defense is growing on us? NOPE! He needs to GTFO!!!

Other than that, I really enjoyed the play as well, Mrs. Lincoln.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Our secondary had ONE pick....the other was a Defensive TACKLE!! No, they aren't developing 'instinct'. Put that to bed now.

Fat Todd's defense allowed FORTY-NINE OFFENSIVE PLAYS in a single half of football...to VANDERBILT! Plus 20+ minutes of TOS. And we're supposed to think his defense is growing on us? NOPE! He needs to GTFO!!!

Other than that, I really enjoyed the play as well, Mrs. Lincoln.
Or, Vandy’s just pretty much crap :dunno:
Sorry to offend. Im a little ham-handed with my satire sometimes, Mr. Booth.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, but it was a DT dropping back into coverage so a strong safety can blitz.

This is a staple of Third and Granthamism. This is why we don't play real DTs. By God after running it about 10 times a game for four years, finally it worked!!!!!!!!!!

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Did they spy AR or just load up the box. I couldn't tell. If they know superman isn't going to throw then he's not going to go anywhere on the ground. We won't know whether he resembles superman unless Dan takes the shackles off. There was no better opportunity than this game to do it, so I guess we won't know.

Emory may have gone deep, but meh, he was too long or too short on most attempts. I think the jury's in. If I'm a D coordinator on a decent team, I don't fear long throws from EJ. Long season ahead.
Haven’t you heard? We’re saving all of the AR passing plays for Ugay….or Samford….or Iowa in the Outback Bowl…..or somebody. Mullenz wouldn’t want to “show his hand”.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Haven’t you heard? We’re saving all of the AR passing plays for Ugay….or Samford….or Iowa in the Outback Bowl…..or somebody. Mullenz wouldn’t want to “show his hand”.
We've already been to the Outback Bowl 3 times.

Sugar is the new Capitol #1 bowl for the #2 team in the SEC. The other NYS games are the new Outback and Gator equivalent for #3 and #4 SEC teams.

But you knew that.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think UF is on track to be headed to the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl, the Poulan Weedeater Bowl or the Tangerine Bowl.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
We've already been to the Outback Bowl 3 times.

Sugar is the new Capitol #1 bowl for the #2 team in the SEC. The other NYS games are the new Outback and Gator equivalent for #3 and #4 SEC teams.

But you knew that.
Either or. Maybe we’ll be bowl eligible. Maybe.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The SEC East is TURBLE. There's no way we lose more than 2-3 more.

Maybe if Tinerc game had been later in the year.
I agree with that last sentence. We should thank our lucky stars we didn’t get them later in the year. We would’ve been in trouble.

Never underestimate Dan’s ability to Mullen a couple more games away. SC is hot garbage but we will play down to them. Same with Mizzou, especially since that one is on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.