Bourbon and Booze

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
What is The Board's take on Pappy VanWinkle in the 10yr and 12yr version?

Other than being "too damn expensive".

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, this list kinda shocks me.

I consider myself a drinker w/refined tastes and a modicum of knowledge on this subject but am really surprised by your list, especially the "Worst Values" part, and to how many people agree with you.

I am going to have to do more "research" on these.

Thanks for the list.
Well, the list is what I consider good/bad values, not necessarily great bourbons or bad bourbons. If someone cracks open a Blanton’s and says drink however much you like, i’ll say thank you very much. But at $60, there are bourbons that I feel are vastly superior. Let alone at the $100+ people are selling for. So it’s just a value that i’m placing on it.

There is a saying that the best bourbon is the one you’re drinking, the way you like it. I would encourage you to try the best value list, because you may find something cheap that you really like. I’d also encourage you to revisit bourbons. You never know when your palate was off, or the bottle was too low and too old.

There are plenty who agree and disagree with my choices. But check them out and let us know yours.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I’ve tried the 12yo and it was really good. If it was $60, I would keep a bottle on hand at all times. I wanted to like the Weller 12 better, but I just can’t. It was really good. My pour had a funny, grassy finish that I didn’t care for, but the front side was really good. My pour was only like $12, so worth it.

I have a bottle of the 10 yo, that i’m saving for a special occasion. But I hear it’s one of the more popular ones due to proof.

Most people go into the Van Winkles thinking they are going to love them. I went into the 12 hoping to hate it because of the blind hype. But I had to eat some crow. But seriously, anything over a $100 is just taking advantage. Lots of better bourbons under $100

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So you bumped the thread to pull a sike on my recommended buy?

:finger:

:lol:

I just went back and read what I posted, and it obviously auto-"corrected" my first line. The weird part is I'm not even sure what I would've been trying to say there. I guess it is the Booze thread, so some foggy memory posts are to be expected. But I'll try again. I saw the Balvenie Caribbean and almost got it. I've heard great reviews. It will probably be one of my next purchases. I trust this will resolve the matter and end any ill will.:lol:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I opened up a bottle of Stagg Jr batch 11 last night. WOW! It is extraordinary. Cherries, a bit of vanilla, a bit of black pepper and smooth as hell for 127.9 proof. If you see a bottle anywhere, grab it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Had this little sniffer on Fathers Day. Found it to be enjoyable. Not sure if it was brought up earlier in this thread but it’s worth a revisit

clyde-may_s-bourbon-1.jpg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Anyone know anything about a small batch Bourbon called “Larceny?” Am on vaca in northern Wisconsin and it is a lot colder than I anticipated. Definitely whiskey weather and I saw this in a local store for $27 for a 750 ml.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It's a wheated bourbon from Heaven Hill. It has essentially taken over the Old Fitzgerald place. Pretty good bourbon. Usually around $25 in FL, price varies elsewhere. It's worth a shot to see if you'll like it. I prefer it to Maker's, which isn't saying much, but most people like it.
Thanks. I’ll let you know what I think.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Had the luxury of tasting the Pappy 23 about 5 years ago. I thought it tasted like an ash tray personally. Never got the hype.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It's a wheated bourbon from Heaven Hill. It has essentially taken over the Old Fitzgerald place. Pretty good bourbon. Usually around $25 in FL, price varies elsewhere. It's worth a shot to see if you'll like it. I prefer it to Maker's, which isn't saying much, but most people like it.
I did my Makers Mark tour a couple of months after the Heaven Hill fire in I think 96 and all the hill sides were still like scorched lava flows

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Maker’s does an awesome tour.

Yeah, I think it was ‘96. If you search on YouTube, you can find some great interviews about the fire. Fred Noe, master distiller at Beam, tells some good stories. Bernie Lubbers, Heaven Hill ambassador, is another good one. Someone tells a story about the river being on fire.

Sad story about what happened, but the aftermath had to be something to see.
It was kinda crazy because it was months after and we didn’t think about it, then you could just see all the black scars where the flaming booze flowed down from one warehouse to the next.

That tour at MM was also right after they got permission to sell you a bottle (dry county) and you got to dip it in the wax yourself. It was cool too because by the time we finished, it was dark and all the paths were lit with candles in bags.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
OK, Slug’s pic of a girl holding a bottle of Казёнка vodka made me think of this as to why I drink Russian/Ukrainian vodkas. I’ve said before that I like them because for me, they have an incomparably “clean” taste with no shytty aftertaste. This is important when drinking by the shot with them, and it’s the only way they drink it (with a sip of fruit juice after). Things like Kettle One and GG have an aftertaste like ass to me... and night a nice, clean, tight, ass of a female angel, but like I imagine my ass tastes after three days of no shower and questionable wiping technique.

But the bigger reason, and Kazenka pic reminded me of it, I have never, ever, woken up with a hangover after a night with Ukrainian/Russian vodka... I have woken up still drunk, but not hungover. I can’t say that about any other alcohol.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
OK, Slug’s pic of a girl holding a bottle of Казёнка vodka made me think of this as to why I drink Russian/Ukrainian vodkas. I’ve said before that I like them because for me, they have an incomparably “clean” taste with no shytty aftertaste. This is important when drinking by the shot with them, and it’s the only way they drink it (with a sip of fruit juice after). Things like Kettle One and GG have an aftertaste like ass to me... and not a nice, clean, tight, ass of a female angel, but like I imagine my ass tastes after three days of no shower and questionable wiping technique.

But the bigger reason, and Kazenka pic reminded me of it, I have never, ever, woken up with a hangover after a night with Ukrainian/Russian vodka... I have woken up still drunk, but not hungover. I can’t say that about any other alcohol.

Last edited:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Polarizing bottle. Some folks like it, and it did well in a popular YouTube channel blind tasting challenge. Lately it sounds like it's being pushed by the sales channels. Usually when that happens, it's because it's a poor performing product. Not necessarily a bad product, but sounds like if it is a good product, it's getting lost in the shuffle.

I've never tried it. It's a mid $30 bottle. So there are some other options in that price range. However, if you dig it, drink it. I absolutely detest Bib and Tucker, and the price makes it worse, but I met someone whose favorite whiskey was Bib and Tucker.

All that said, if I see it out and it's priced decent, I'll give it a shot and report back.
Agreed with all of the above.

I'm not a fan of Clyde May, Wild Turkey 101 is better IMO.

Bib and Tucker and Angel's Envy are my two biggest disappointments in bourbon. Hyped to no end, pricey and pretty average juice.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I did the MM tour a few years ago, 2011 I think. That day they were bottling the very first batch of Maker's White. It was a really cool experience. I was 4 years in on my ambassador barrel at that point and was all set to fly back and dip my bottle, etc a couple years later. An accident kept me homebound and I missed my window for getting my bottle.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
drinking 101 right now, I love the stuff. If you can get a bottle of Virgin Bourbon, get it. Heaven Hill juice 7 yrs 101 pf. Only in a few states though.
Sadly not down here in South FL. I did score a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel and a Maker's 46 store pick on a recent trip through Kentucky. I haven't opened either yet, I have a bottle of Stagg Jr to finish off first.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Ended up finding it cheaper in another store in town. Nice whiskey and I agree it’s nicer than MM. I’ve had better, but pretty good for the price. Future Gator thought it was pretty good too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb