Bourbon and Booze

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I haven't seen it in a while, but there are a lot of comparable or better ryes. Apparently, New Orleans is always loaded with Sazarac.

Agree. It’s a good rye but also benefited from the BT push and scarcity. I don’t know about NO, but it’s very available in different parts of NY state and was featured in many NYC bars. Out of curiosity I checked some online stores that had offered it but were always out of stock. Of the three I tried, all allowed me to purchase. So I guess it’s becoming more wide spread available.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. It’s a good rye but also benefited from the BT push and scarcity. I don’t know about NO, but it’s very available in different parts of NY state and was featured in many NYC bars. Out of curiosity I checked some online stores that had offered it but were always out of stock. Of the three I tried, all allowed me to purchase. So I guess it’s becoming more wide spread available.
I think the whole bourbon boom is cresting. I was at a store over July 4th, and he said he can get Buffalo Trace whenever he wants, no more allocations. Between huge expansions, new quality alternatives, and just fatigue, it's on one of it's last pushes. People used to love bourbon, because you could get a great bottle for cheap. Now people just feel like they are trying to squeeze every last nickel out of them.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Try Rittenhouse 100 (Bottled in Bond). Should be a similar price to Saz and it’s the little brother of Pikesville Rye.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Try Rittenhouse 100 (Bottled in Bond). Should be a similar price to Saz and it’s the little brother of Pikesville Rye.

Thanks. I need to restock a bit. I'm very low on rye. So I'll try that.

To your point above, I have a friend who has a Michter's 10y SB and a Thomas Handy, both of which I loved when I tried. He has a few unopened but apparently can still command stupid prices on bourbon sites. So like you, I'm hoping we've seen a peak in this market and things normalize so I can steal them from him(especially the Handy).

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks. I need to restock a bit. I'm very low on rye. So I'll try that.

To your point above, I have a friend who has a Michter's 10y SB and a Thomas Handy, both of which I loved when I tried. He has a few unopened but apparently can still command stupid prices on bourbon sites. So like you, I'm hoping we've seen a peak in this market and things normalize so I can steal them from him(especially the Handy).
If you are somewhat diligent, the Michters barrel proof can still be found from time to time. Picked up a couple bottles a couple months ago. Also, don’t sleep on Knob Creek Rye barrel picks

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've been buying Larceny 92 proof lately for making Old Fashioned's. Pretty good stuff for a lower cost bourbon.

When I was in Louisville for Kentucky Derby weekend, I went to Angel's Envy for a tour/tasting on the Sunday of that weekend. I bought a bottle from a barrel where they only produced 500 bottles. The bottles are numbered and I got bottle #19 - $84.

th

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've been buying Larceny 92 proof lately for making Old Fashioned's. Pretty good stuff for a lower cost bourbon.

When I was in Louisville for Kentucky Derby weekend, I went to Angel's Envy for a tour/tasting on the Sunday of that weekend. I bought a bottle from a barrel where they only produced 500 bottles. The bottles are numbered and I got bottle #19 - $84.

th

Don't want to be that guy, but a barrel is 53 gallons, or 6,784 ounces. And a 750ml bottle has roughly 25 ounces per bottle, resulting in 270 or less bottles per barrel, assuming fifths. This would also assume no evaporation. A lot of barrel picks on the younger side will yield 230 plus or minus, but once they get decent age on them you're flipping on around 200.

Again, not trying to be a dick about it, just that the bourbon industry is known for being "creative" with "facts"

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Don't want to be that guy, but a barrel is 53 gallons, or 6,784 gallons. And a 750ml bottle has roughly 25 ounces per bottle, resulting in 270 or less bottles per barrel, assuming fifths. This would also assume no evaporation. A lot of barrel picks on the younger side will yield 230 plus or minus, but once they get decent age on them you're flipping on around 200.

Again, not trying to be a dick about it, just that the bourbon industry is known for being "creative" with "facts"

Whatever. I'm not a bourbon barrel expert, all I know is the bottle I bought was #19 out of the barrel.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
BTW, Maker's Cask Strength 46 is on the shelves

Went and found it. Its in a boxed set. Two 375 ml bottles. One bottle is 46 CS. The other is one of the private selections from the 'Wood finished series:". Cracked open the 46 CS. Its good. Heavy oak, caramel and vanilla. I'm sht when it comes to picking out tasting notes. Fck...it tastes like good high proof bourbon.

20210715_170304.jpg

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Went and found it. Its in a boxed set. Two 375 ml bottles. One bottle is 46 CS. The other is one of the private selections from the 'Wood finished series:". Cracked open the 46 CS. Its good. Heavy oak, caramel and vanilla. I'm sht when it comes to picking out tasting notes. Fck...it tastes like good high proof bourbon.

Have never seen a set like that. Pretty damn cool

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

What did that set you back?

I went in for my annual physical yesterday, I did my fasting lab work 2 weeks ago. Everything was good, but doc said, "you have an elevated enzyme on your liver. Do you drink a lot?"

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I’m not a big rum drinker, with apologies to @Swamp Donkey , but thought this stuff was pretty good. Went to a dinner party Saturday night and the host insisted I and another bourbon drinker try this. It actually reminded me a little of bourbon, which I suspect is a result of it being aged in American oak. Also tasted a lot of spice you’d expect to find in a dark rum.

upload_2021-7-19_6-55-9.jpeg

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not a big rum drinker, with apologies to @Swamp Donkey , but thought this stuff was pretty good. Went to a dinner party Saturday night and the host insisted I and another bourbon drinker try this. It actually reminded me a little of bourbon, which I suspect is a result of it being aged in American oak. Also tasted a lot of spice you’d expect to find in a dark rum.

Rum Reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator