Bourbon and Booze

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Any of you all familiar with an Irish whiskey called “Tullamore Dew”?

I was at a conference in Hilton Head a few weeks ago and a guy brought a bottle and shared with us. I thought it was incredibly smooth, but didn’t know if it was always that way or the circumstances of standing on a beach talking and laughing with colleagues (some of whom I’ve known for many years) made it taste better than it was.

I bought a bottle when I got back and finally cracked it open last night. I’m not usually a fan of Irish whiskey - I prefer American - but it was just as smooth as I remembered. The flavor is definitely different from bourbon, but I’m very glad I bought it.
Probably because... it's not bourbon. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Any of you all familiar with an Irish whiskey called “Tullamore Dew”?

I was at a conference in Hilton Head a few weeks ago and a guy brought a bottle and shared with us. I thought it was incredibly smooth, but didn’t know if it was always that way or the circumstances of standing on a beach talking and laughing with colleagues (some of whom I’ve known for many years) made it taste better than it was.

I bought a bottle when I got back and finally cracked it open last night. I’m not usually a fan of Irish whiskey - I prefer American - but it was just as smooth as I remembered. The flavor is definitely different from bourbon, but I’m very glad I bought it.

I have a bottle that was a gift. Very good. I don't drink it often, but I generally like Irish whiskey. Some of the Jameson's I've had were so much better than I always assumed.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I have a bottle that was a gift. Very good. I don't drink it often, but I generally like Irish whiskey. Some of the Jameson's I've had were so much better than I always assumed.
What made the Tullamore so different for me was the lack of the "burn" feeling going down your throat. It is definitely one of the smoother liquors I've drunk.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I have no real data to support this, but I imagine that's why the Irish are so prone to drunkenness.
I resemble that remark.

As you’re not Irish, you may be unaware of this but the Irish actually invented whiskey. (The Scots of course dispute this.) Whiskey is an anglicizing of the Gaelic “uisge beatha” (I’ve heard it pronounced both “whishka baha” and “ooshka ba”) meaning “water of life.” Monks in ancient Eire also would refer to it in their writings by the Latin “Aqua vitae.”

100 Oxbucks says you now regret saying anything.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
80 proof Irish whiskey is “smooth” because it’s 80 proof and made for potato eating pussies

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I forget, but they're all a bunch of inbred losers who we now call our *****es

Yeah, I’d forgotten there was a reason I altered the definition a little. The inbred part was central. I definitely prefer my version, despite the homelessness.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
What is Scotch for again? I forgot. Something about island dwelling homeless people if I recall.

It depends. A 16 year old Single Malt Lagavuliin is not for the island dwelling homeless, however due to its cost and proof it may contribute significantly to someone becoming homeless. But you are correct regarding the rot gut blended malts

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It depends. A 16 year old Single Malt Lagavuliin is not for the island dwelling homeless, however due to its cost and proof it may contribute significantly to someone becoming homeless. But you are correct regarding the rot gut blended malts

I'm a Johnnie Black guy because it's been my go-to as long as I can remember. I've always enjoyed Chivas as well. And I've nearly killed a bottle of Dewar's once at a gala. So just hit me with the truth here. Should I expect to sleep under the interstate tonight?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm a Johnnie Black guy because it's been my go-to as long as I can remember. I've always enjoyed Chivas as well. And I've nearly killed a bottle of Dewar's once at a gala. So just hit me with the truth here. Should I expect to sleep under the interstate tonight?

Enjoy it if you can. That stuff gives me a headache and lacks the depth of flavor of the better single malts especially the smokey peated malts

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Well...if you like the taste of burned swamp moss mixed with turpentine that's up to you....I'll stick with bourbon.
myyyyy nigga! :fistbump:

For the life of me, I'll never understand the fascination with liking the taste of fruit or nuts or dirt or some burnt schit in my beer or booze.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

2a75df2f-a5a0-4376-b9e4-f81b61821e5d_text.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
When I was living with in Cyprus, it came as a surprise to me how much the Cypriots loved scotch and in particular Johnnie Walker. At the time I knew very little about scotch and asked a Cypriot counterpart about the difference between red and black. He responded thusly: “It is very simple my friend. If you give a Cypriot a bottle of Red Label, you have a friend for life; if you give him a bottle of Black Label, he’ll kill for you.”

After that, every year at Christmas, I’d drive the hour or so to his office, take him out for calamari and give him a bottle of Black Label. He never thanked me; rather he instead always asked me “Who?” I always responded that I’d let him know.

I was there for four Christmas’s; you might want to stay on my good side.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Enjoy it if you can. That stuff gives me a headache and lacks the depth of flavor of the better single malts especially the smokey peated malts

It just feels like home. I associate blended scotch with nights out in my 20s in NY before life got so complicated(and better). I do love smoke and peat as well though.

upload_2021-12-15_21-46-45.jpeg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It just feels like home. I associate blended scotch with nights out in my 20s in NY before life got so complicated(and better). I do love smoke and peat as well though.

I may be mistaken, but would that be the 30yr old single malt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.