Bourbon and Booze

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Gator By Marriage

Venezuelans as well. Have several close friends from there and they are big scotch drinkers. Part of it is availability. According to them apparently there was a point where they could get anything and drank a lot of vodka, rum and other spirits. Then one day, they couldn’t get it any longer. Something to do with varying embargoes during Chavez. But the government could somehow get scotch so they were given that and told to drink up. So they did. :lol:

Not sure exactly how accurate that is, but several all say the same thing.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@Gator By Marriage

Venezuelans as well. Have several close friends from there and they are big scotch drinkers. Part of it is availability. According to them apparently there was a point where they could get anything and drank a lot of vodka, rum and other spirits. Then one day, they couldn’t get it any longer. Something to do with varying embargoes during Chavez. But the government could somehow get scotch so they were given that and told to drink up. So they did. :lol:

For the Cypriots, they got used to drinking it when they were a British colony. Once they were an independent country, the duty made it expensive. Scotch now being part of the culture they just sucked it up and paid (including the Turkish Cypriots who were Muslim-ish). As I could get it duty free, I was very popular.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
@Gator By Marriage

I have never seen a bottle of aged Single Malt without the age listed. I am not familiar with that distillery but I will look for it next time I am in the Total Wine Store in Gville.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
When I was living with in Cyprus, it came as a surprise to me how much the Cypriots loved scotch and in particular Johnnie Walker. At the time I knew very little about scotch and asked a Cypriot counterpart about the difference between red and black. He responded thusly: “It is very simple my friend. If you give a Cypriot a bottle of Red Label, you have a friend for life; if you give him a bottle of Black Label, he’ll kill for you.”

After that, every year at Christmas, I’d drive the hour or so to his office, take him out for calamari and give him a bottle of Black Label. He never thanked me; rather he instead always asked me “Who?” I always responded that I’d let him know.

I was there for four Christmas’s; you might want to stay on my good side.
Pakistan exactly the same way about Johnnie Walker

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
For the Cypriots, they got used to drinking it when they were a British colony. Once they were an independent country, the duty made it expensive. Scotch now being part of the culture they just sucked it up and paid (including the Turkish Cypriots who were Muslim-ish). As I could get it duty free, I was very popular.
That's called black marketing, buddy. ;)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
1). I have admitted nothing

2). It’s not black marketing if you give away the stuff for free.
Uh oh, I think we just stumbled into a problem with #2! Glad that's a generic "you" and not a "YOU, you" because that guy obviously missed the training video on gifting!!!! :lol:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
been drinking a bottle of this for a while. actually not bad at all. I'd be interested in trying their 4 grain bourbon if it ever comes back in stock. Despite the rye content at 35%, it's not very prominent on the palate. Much more fruit forward and got a real nice mocha note when the bottle was fresh. Been open a while and getting more fruit sweetness, especially apple.

PhotoSep01_92008AM_1024x1024@2x.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@alcoholica

Any thoughts on this. It was a gift, as was the first Stranahans(entry level) I received a few years back, which I hate. So much that I don’t even enjoy cocktails made from it. But this is a little more expensive with a better resume, at least in theory. Was thinking of just selling it but wanted to get your opinion if you have one.

upload_2022-4-3_20-14-58.jpeg

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@alcoholica

Any thoughts on this. It was a gift, as was the first Stranahans(entry level) I received a few years back, which I hate. So much that I don’t even enjoy cocktails made from it. But this is a little more expensive with a better resume, at least in theory. Was thinking of just selling it but wanted to get your opinion if you have one.

Your pic is of the original yellow level Stranahan, so I guess i'm not following, unless it's a single barrel store pick. If that's the case, store picks aren't always upgrades, but usually are.

I've only ever tried a store pick of the yellow label from Dorn's in Gville. To me it was overpriced, but I'm not a big scotch fan either, and that's essentially what Stranahans is. I wouldn't mind trying the sherry cask or the 10-year, but not going out of my way.

Oddly, my favorite scotch was a non-peated Islay.

If you didn't like the original, I'm not sure how much of an improvement a store pick would be.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Your pic is of the original yellow level Stranahan, so I guess i'm not following, unless it's a single barrel store pick. If that's the case, store picks aren't always upgrades, but usually are.

I've only ever tried a store pick of the yellow label from Dorn's in Gville. To me it was overpriced, but I'm not a big scotch fan either, and that's essentially what Stranahans is. I wouldn't mind trying the sherry cask or the 10-year, but not going out of my way.

If you didn't like the original, I'm not sure how much of an improvement a store pick would be.

Non pleated Islay...
Sounds like a bruichladdich.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah, I put the wrong picture up. That’s the one I don’t like. Was supposed to be their single malt whiskey. Didn’t know if you new it or if you thought I’d find it a noticeable upgrade if I didn’t like the standard, which you answered. Thanks.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I put the wrong picture up. That’s the one I don’t like. Was supposed to be their single malt whiskey. Didn’t know if you new it or if you thought I’d find it a noticeable upgrade if I didn’t like the standard, which you answered. Thanks.
If you have a good whiskey bar, you could go and try a pour and then decide

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator