Bourbon and Booze

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yes, I recall now you go there. You left out COLD AS ICE!
Which is why we go in late June and early July! Mrs G grew up on the gulf in St. Pete, if it’s a really hot day on the lake up there she might go in up to her knees. I know better than to take her there in winter. (I.E., October through May!)

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator and Army, now FBI, friend of mine started this... Coming to a shelf near you soon
Who are they buying their barrels from?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Update: here was his reply: "Thanks Detroitgator. Initially MGP out of Lawrenceburg, Indiana. But long term plan is to lay down new make with our partner distillery in Jacksonville.

MGP is a solid distillery, but like any distillery there are honey barrels and complete trash barrels. Hope he's got a good blender on staff.

Jax would be Manifest distillery. Not really known for whiskey. If he isn't completely tied in, they may want to contact New Riff or James E Pepper. Both of those distilleries have similar profiles to much of the MGP stuff and I think Pepper hired an MGP guy away and New Riff had a consultant from MGP.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I brought a buddy a bottle of Basil Haden yesterday around 530 for handling a couple mortgages for me. He says, let's crack it open and have a drink. 90 minutes later it was gone. I passed out around 830pm. Oooooof!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
MGP is a solid distillery, but like any distillery there are honey barrels and complete trash barrels. Hope he's got a good blender on staff.

Jax would be Manifest distillery. Not really known for whiskey. If he isn't completely tied in, they may want to contact New Riff or James E Pepper. Both of those distilleries have similar profiles to much of the MGP stuff and I think Pepper hired an MGP guy away and New Riff had a consultant from MGP.
i sent him what you said, here is his reply:

"Yeah, we got some good ones and Dustin at Citrus Distillers has been at it for a while. It’s so hard to lay new make down right now because of a wood shortage. We’re using a high rye formula. It’s been fun and much more to come. Are those some of your John Deere’s pulling Russian tanks? Lol… if you find yourself in Orlando please let me know. Would love to see you."

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
i sent him what you said, here is his reply:

"Yeah, we got some good ones and Dustin at Citrus Distillers has been at it for a while. It’s so hard to lay new make down right now because of a wood shortage. We’re using a high rye formula. It’s been fun and much more to come. Are those some of your John Deere’s pulling Russian tanks? Lol… if you find yourself in Orlando please let me know. Would love to see you."
Good deal. Would love to see them get ahold of some 10+ yr MGP at barrel proof. That’s some magical whiskey.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@alcoholica, I scored a Weller’s and a few Weller 12’s (1.75). The Weller is one of my favorites, so I’ll keep them. Not sure on the 12’s. I’ll open one for sure, but I’ve already had insane offers on the others. Any thoughts?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@alcoholica, I scored a Weller’s and a few Weller 12’s (1.75). The Weller is one of my favorites, so I’ll keep them. Not sure on the 12’s. I’ll open one for sure, but I’ve already had insane offers on the others. Any thoughts?
Assuming you mean the Weller Reserve Green Label. The 12's are the Black Labels. They're a really nice wheated bourbon for the price. The 12's tend to have too much char on the finish for me, but once they have a few months to sit, the char seems to fade and leave a real nice finish (albeit a short one).

Bottom line on the Weller's, if someone is offering a market rate, sell it. There are nicer bourbons you could buy with the money. For instance, Yellow label Wilderness Trail would blow either out of the water. I liked the Maker's 101 better than both Weller's as well. Using those two as examples because they are both wheated as well.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Assuming you mean the Weller Reserve Green Label. The 12's are the Black Labels. They're a really nice wheated bourbon for the price. The 12's tend to have too much char on the finish for me, but once they have a few months to sit, the char seems to fade and leave a real nice finish (albeit a short one).

Bottom line on the Weller's, if someone is offering a market rate, sell it. There are nicer bourbons you could buy with the money. For instance, Yellow label Wilderness Trail would blow either out of the water. I liked the Maker's 101 better than both Weller's as well. Using those two as examples because they are both wheated as well.

Dude...stop telling people about WT. I might have to cut you.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Don't know, I'll ask... I didn't even know he was doing this until today, they kept it very quiet while the FBI was giving their final "OK" to them launching this on the side.
I’m amazed the bureau chopped off on this. They must be loosening the reigns quite a bit. I don’t know if this is true anymore but it used to be that they would not allow their agents to be in the reserves. Distill liquor? Don’t even ask!

Personally, if it’s not a conflict with their duties (like say he was an ATF agent instead) I don’t see a problem. Good for him.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m amazed the bureau chopped off on this. They must be loosening the reigns quite a bit. I don’t know if this is true anymore but it used to be that they would not allow their agents to be in the reserves. Distill liquor? Don’t even ask!

Personally, if it’s not a conflict with their duties (like say he was an ATF agent instead) I don’t see a problem. Good for him.
All three are active FBI. My friend is also a full Colonel in the reserves.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The times have clearly changed. Glad to hear it. They were the only Fed LEA I knew that did that. Was he in FBI before 9/11?
He was a year behind us at UF in YG 94 (but lived with 3 guys in my YG) and I'm not sure exactly when he went FBI, but I'm guessing right around post-9/11 with that whole influx. I think he was a civil engineering major and was Armor then MI in the Army, definitely not an accountant/JD type, but not an HRT type either. I'm not sure what the fuk he actually does... my whole circle of friends (and especially UF alum) are kinda like that... we all "sort of know" what each other does, but we really have no clue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.