Bourbon and Booze

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Assuming you mean the Weller Reserve Green Label. The 12's are the Black Labels. They're a really nice wheated bourbon for the price. The 12's tend to have too much char on the finish for me, but once they have a few months to sit, the char seems to fade and leave a real nice finish (albeit a short one).

Bottom line on the Weller's, if someone is offering a market rate, sell it. There are nicer bourbons you could buy with the money. For instance, Yellow label Wilderness Trail would blow either out of the water. I liked the Maker's 101 better than both Weller's as well. Using those two as examples because they are both wheated as well.
Weller's Reserve used to be my house mixer. I can't even find a bottle now.

I love Wilderness Trail. I worked for a company for many years and we had a mfg division in Danville, so I was in and out of there a lot. It's fantastic juice.

I found a local package store that buys barrels and bottles them at barrel proof. Working on a bottle of Rebel from them right now and it's damn good.

Tried some Stagg Jr Batch 17 this week. The cherries are gone, it's a completely different flavor profile. I got chocolate and hazelnut from it. What a shift. It was good, but not as good as it was before.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
8f4a8e9b71fba598b9ded22048544ddb.jpeg

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Figured you’d guys would be drinking more given the sad state of threads I’ve perused.
Ox has been helping us find affordable yet passingly attractive prostitutes. The drinking will likely come after that.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
@alcoholica , what's the deal with the Wilderness Trail wheated bourbon? Haven't been able to find any for the last few months. The rye and 8 yr straight bourbon is everywhere...but no wheat. Pissing me off. Figured they'd eff things up after selling out to Campari.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@alcoholica , what's the deal with the Wilderness Trail wheated bourbon? Haven't been able to find any for the last few months. The rye and 8 yr straight bourbon is everywhere...but no wheat. Pissing me off. Figured they'd eff things up after selling out to Campari.
No idea, haven’t seen anything about it. Just higher prices.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any thoughts on those Jefferson “at sea” offerings? I haven’t had any of them but a friend was obsessed with them last year.

Good to see you, btw.
I have an Oceans Cask Strength somewhere that I haven't opened yet. However, everything I'm hearing is more gimmick than real quality. Jefferson was known as a mad scientist type "distillery", but I haven't really heard anyone be blown away by their offerings. But, they wouldn't still be selling it if people weren't buying.

If you like ryes, I've seen Total Wine has gotten some High West Double Rye barrel picks. Those tend to be very good.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have an Oceans Cask Strength somewhere that I haven't opened yet. However, everything I'm hearing is more gimmick than real quality. Jefferson was known as a mad scientist type "distillery", but I haven't really heard anyone be blown away by their offerings. But, they wouldn't still be selling it if people weren't buying.

If you like ryes, I've seen Total Wine has gotten some High West Double Rye barrel picks. Those tend to be very good.

Thanks. That was my suspicion on the Jefferson series.

In the past few years, I’ve twice done a blind bourbon/rye tasting with a group of friends. In both cases, the rye that I brought was the fan favorite, even though I did not personally care for it. The lesson I took away is that maybe I’m just not a rye person because I’m clearly not a good judge of it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

In the past few years, I’ve twice done a blind bourbon/rye tasting with a group of friends. In both cases, the rye that I brought was the fan favorite, even though I did not personally care for it. The lesson I took away is that maybe I’m just not a rye person because I’m clearly not a good judge of it.
Well there are all kinds of rye mashbills, so you may like something like a Pikesville Rye that's a higher percentage corn.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

The lesson you should have gotten was to trust your own taste. If there’s one you like, then buy that one. If you didn’t like any of them then they all suck!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The lesson you should have gotten was to trust your own taste. If there’s one you like, then buy that one. If you didn’t like any of them then they all suck!

The truth is I still prefer Scotch. I just didn’t want to say that because Alky just got back and was being pleasant, so I didn’t want to disrupt that and hear about how I’m homeless and/or a pirate.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The truth is I still prefer Scotch. I just didn’t want to say that because Alky just got back and was being pleasant, so I didn’t want to disrupt that and hear about how I’m homeless and/or a pirate.
I’ve forgotten if we already beat this horse to death, but when I was living in Cyprus, I developed a taste for scotch. In my time there I really enjoyed Glen Morangie and Highland Park.
What are your go-to’s?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve forgotten if we already beat this horse to death, but when I was living in Cyprus, I developed a taste for scotch. In my time there I really enjoyed Glen Morangie and Highland Park.
What are your go-to’s?

I love Highland 18. Also a big fan of Balvenie 21 Portwood. Have both, but they are definitely occasion pours. I’ll drink Johnnie Black and even Dewars all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb