Bourbon and Booze

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Post up when you do. I love Larceny. Haven't found a barrel proof pick of it yet though.
I’ve enjoyed Larceny as well, but it often seems to be a “divisive” bourbon as many folks I know love it or hate it. When I started drinking bourbon more regularly about 5 years ago - I had been more of a single malt Scotch guy - Larceny was one of the first bottles I bought, so it definitely holds a soft spot in my heart.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Post up when you do. I love Larceny. Haven't found a barrel proof pick of it yet though.
I opened this tonight. First thoughts, I love the nose. Cherries, a little bit of oak and yeast. A solid 8 on the nose. Palate is good. Some caramel and baking spices that come together to almost remind me of banana bread. There is an interesting bit of peanut funk that reminds me of Beam products, which I like. 7 on the palate. The finish is spectacular: long, some heat and that sweetness from the caramel lingers. 8 on the finish.

I could really like this, but I do think it needs some air to open up a bit.

Overall I'll give this a 7.5 but I am expecting it to move up a bit after I let it breathe. I think the palate will match the nose and finish after it has some time to open up a bit.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I’ve enjoyed Larceny as well, but it often seems to be a “divisive” bourbon as many folks I know love it or hate it. When I started drinking bourbon more regularly about 5 years ago - I had been more of a single malt Scotch guy - Larceny was one of the first bottles I bought, so it definitely holds a soft spot in my heart.
I hadn't heard Larceny to be divisive. The bottle I cracked tonight is a step up from the 1792 Full Proof. I have heard that 1792 is a love it or hate it bourbon though. I'm not a fan of any of the 1792 variants I've tried, or really most of the Barton products. That grassy funk sort of permeates their lineup and so their stuff seems unrefined.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I will give it a try. I am reluctant to spend money on something without a good recommendation
Woodford is pretty boring. It’s basically the jello of the bourbon world. Nothing special about it. In case it matters to you, Jack Daniel’s is owned by Brown Forman, who owns Woodford as well. So it’s owned by the same company that thought tranny ads were the way to go.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If any of you can catch Woodinville as a barrel pick or other cask strength version, do it. That is all.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We appreciate the advice. Neither one of use drink gin.

Or have a refined palate. :lol:
I haven’t had the Castle and Key Gin yet, but have heard good things from multiple people up there. I hope to catch the distillery this fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.