Bowl game opponent

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Now that we're officially bowl eligible and it's the bye week I thought it would be fun to think about possible bowl opponents.
We usually face a Big 10 squad. I would like to get Michigan and finally beat them. They've gotten us at bad times and beaten some dysfunctional gator teams. I would like to see a decent gator squad go against them.
Maybe scUM if they can keep it together. We could beat them in a bowl and at the start of the season next year. Might be good for recruiting.
WVU is another interesting matchup. I'd like to get them in the sugar bowl. Maybe pick off Grier a few times.
Any matchups that intrigue you guys?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
:crazy:

This is too early to discuss even on a message board.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Ooook...never mind then. I thought since it's the bye week and we're just fans (not players that get caught looking ahead) that we could discuss. But you can just delete the thread if you want, Ox.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All over the board really.

Bleacher Report has us in the Taxslayer Bowl vs. the convicts.
TaxSlayer (December 31): Miami vs. Florida

Orlando Sentinel has us in the CitrusBowl vs. Wisky
Citrus: Wisconsin Florida

SI has us in the Fiesta Bowl vs. UCF
PlayStation Fiesta Bowl, Glendale, Ariz. (Jan. 1, 1 p.m. ET, ESPN)
At-large vs. At-large
Florida vs. UCF

ESPN has us in the Citrus vs. PSU or Iowa.
Citrus Bowl
Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m. (ABC)

Bonagura: Florida vs. Penn State
Sherman: Florida vs. Iowa

USA Today has us in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Washington

Athlon has us in the Peach Bowl vs. Oklahoma

A lot of football left to be played. Go Gators!
:chomp:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Get to the Sugar, we play a Big 12 opponent.

Citrus and Outback would be against Big 10 opponent.

TaxSlayer is a Big 10 or ACC opponent.

TaxSlayer is interesting this year, Gator Bowl going back where it belongs, being played New Years Eve night.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Don't get me wrong I like and respect UCF for what they do.....but make no mistake about it I'd also love to beat the ever lovin' chit out of them for a chance to end up as a top 10 ranked team and # 1 in the state. Season would be an overwhelming success if that were to happen....back to the way things used to be.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
When is the last time we played a Pac 10/12 team? Fiesta vs Washington is interesting.

I like the suggestions of UCF too. It's a chance to prove we're the best team in the state again.

Bayougator

Aug 17, 2018
When is the last time we played a Pac 10/12 team? Fiesta vs Washington is interesting.

I like the suggestions of UCF too. It's a chance to prove we're the best team in the state again.
I also would like to see us play a Pac 10 team. Just something different. UF/Oregon or UF/Washington would be interesting.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I love reading the posts in this thread, after what we've gone through as Gator fans last year, and the understandable preseason doom and gloom of a number of posters. It's great to be a Florida Gator!

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Don't get me wrong I like and respect UCF for what they do.....but make no mistake about it I'd also love to beat the ever lovin' chit out of them for a chance to end up as a top 10 ranked team and # 1 in the state. Season would be an overwhelming success if that were to happen....back to the way things SHOULD be.

FIFY

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to get a Pac-12 team here... they pick bowl teams mostly by which fan base will travel to the location. Not much of the Florida fanbase will travel to the west coast, and no much of a Pac-12 team fanbase will travel to Florida. Bowl games are about money for the game and the community outside of the 3 games to make the championship.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Playing against Michigan, Ohio State, UCF, or West Virginia are most intriguing in that order, and all are legit possibilities depending on how things play out. Ohio State would be a big game for obvious reasons, but I think I'd want to play Michigan the most, not only to rectify the embarrassment from last year but to also rub it in Mac's stupid yellow bucktoothed face. UCF would be good because we could put to bed any debate on who the top school in the state is. Plus, they may be undefeated so that would be a pretty big bowl game as well. Will Grier vs his former team would be a big story line, but if we don't play Michigan, I hope West Virginia does.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't the Gators lead 7-0 when the QB (Douglas?) ripped off a long TD run? It was all downhill from there for Darnell and the boys.

Sounds about right...they put 8 and 9 in the box to stop Emmitt. That same Washington team went on to share the natty the following year with Steve Entmann??? I am sure I can look it up. It was coached by Don James.......he either was a former Gator player or asst. coach. Once again, too lazy to look it up...just going on memory or lack thereof.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Sounds about right...they put 8 and 9 in the box to stop Emmitt. That same Washington team went on to share the natty the following year with Steve Entmann??? I am sure I can look it up. It was coached by Don James.......he either was a former Gator player or asst. coach. Once again, too lazy to look it up...just going on memory or lack thereof.
It was the old Freedom Bowl in Anaheim. I was there. Had just moved out to CA. Was a complete beat down. They threw it all over the field on us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb