Brady to be suspended

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It should be zero. I think it's ridiculous that suh can stomp on players and damn near remove someone's starting qb with excessive shcit after a play but brady gets 4 for allegedly deflating footballs. Goodel needs to go.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Charges are : assault with a deadly weapon and issuance of terrorist threats.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rog's wife had him arrested for assault with a dead weapon.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n238829 said:
It should be zero. I think it's ridiculous that suh can stomp on players and damn near remove someone's starting qb with excessive shcit after a play but brady gets 4 for allegedly deflating footballs. Goodel needs to go.

Suh got lucky, that it has been 32 game since his last on field offense, if he had fallen within those 32 games, he would have gotten 6 to 8 game per CBA.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n238623 said:
Only reason I believe it will be zero games is that Goodell and Kraft made a behind the scenes deal. Kraft accepts the penalties put on the Patriots if Brady's suspension is reduced to zero games.

Losing a #1 draft pick is a lot harder on an organization than losing your qb for 4 games.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n238992 said:
Losing a #1 draft pick is a lot harder on an organization than losing your qb for 4 games.

I don't have a problem with the organization being penalized severely, as this is their second "cheating" scandal. My problem is with the decision to punish Brady without any evidence that he was involved in this.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n238996 said:
I don't have a problem with the organization being penalized severely, as this is their second "cheating" scandal. My problem is with the decision to punish Brady without any evidence that he was involved in this.

The problem I have with it, is that the report that the League is using as evidence says that the coaching staff and management had no knowledge. So the evidence that is being used, shows no fault by the organization as a whole.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n238999 said:
The problem I have with it, is that the report that the League is using as evidence says that the coaching staff and management had no knowledge. So the evidence that is being used, shows no fault by the organization as a whole.

But employees of the organization were responsible, so it falls on the organization/management.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n239003 said:
But employees of the organization were responsible, so it falls on the organization/management.

The employee's should be punished if they are going outside of the organizational guidelines and without the knowledge of the organization. By the definition you are giving, if Brady who handles balls on every play (similar to T) he should have known and reported. So by the same argument the organization/management should have known, it was Brady's responsibility to report it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n239007 said:
The employee's should be punished if they are going outside of the organizational guidelines and without the knowledge of the organization. By the definition you are giving, if Brady who handles balls on every play (similar to T) he should have known and reported. So by the same argument the organization/management should have known, it was Brady's responsibility to report it.

I disagree. Brady is not in management and isn't responsible for the actions of others. Kraft and the GM are. Assuming Brady should have known is just an opinion...not a fact. That's why I don't think it's just to punish him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Surely, someone can "invent" a portable machine where a ref can stick the ball in a depression, pull a handle down and
the machine approves the inflation or bleeds out air to perfection or pumps in air.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n239009 said:
I disagree. Brady is not in management and isn't responsible for the actions of others. Kraft and the GM are. Assuming Brady should have known is just an opinion...not a fact. That's why I don't think it's just to punish him.

So players have no responsibility at all for the fairness and rules of the game? Is that the argument you are going with? Because if a high ranking member of the NFLPA isn't responsible for his own actions and to follow the guidelines of the rule book, who is? The evidence in my opinion doesn't warrant a 4 game suspension, we are just talking about deflating balls (circumstantial evidence at best but this isn't a court case either). But there is evidence of communications between the employees and Brady that was verified. The two employees should have been fired unless there is evidence they were specifically told to deflate them (similar to the Saints players winning appeal argument).

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n239019 said:
So players have no responsibility at all for the fairness and rules of the game? Is that the argument you are going with? Because if a high ranking member of the NFLPA isn't responsible for his own actions and to follow the guidelines of the rule book, who is? The evidence in my opinion doesn't warrant a 4 game suspension, we are just talking about deflating balls (circumstantial evidence at best but this isn't a court case either). But there is evidence of communications between the employees and Brady that was verified. The two employees should have been fired unless there is evidence they were specifically told to deflate them (similar to the Saints players winning appeal argument).

The players have responsibility for their own actions...not the actions of others within the organization. If you can't prove Brady participated in or orchestrated the deflating of the balls, then he shouldn't be punished. If they're just assuming he should have known, then why not suspend the center, RBs and WRs? They handled the balls, as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n239050 said:
The players have responsibility for their own actions...not the actions of others within the organization. If you can't prove Brady participated in or orchestrated the deflating of the balls, then he shouldn't be punished. If they're just assuming he should have known, then why not suspend the center, RBs and WRs? They handled the balls, as well.

You could make a very valid argument for the refs who I do think should also be punished. Due to type of contact with the ball of the center, wide outs and running backs. They would not have the same exposure as Brady. Remember this isn't a court case, and the NFL doesn't need to prove he orchestrated it. They just have to prove by the CBA and previous upheld NFL punishments he didn't turn it in or try to stop it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n239070 said:
You could make a very valid argument for the refs who I do think should also be punished. Due to type of contact with the ball of the center, wide outs and running backs. They would not have the same exposure as Brady. Remember this isn't a court case, and the NFL doesn't need to prove he orchestrated it. They just have to prove by the CBA and previous upheld NFL punishments he didn't turn it in or try to stop it.

To me, this is a league failure to have control of the footballs and/or ensure they are up to league standards. It is not nor has it ever been the players responsibility to monitor this. What next, penalize the kicker if the goal posts are six inches too low? I think Goodell is overstepping his bounds and should just be happy Kraft took one for the team.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did thd ball boys actually admit to deflating the balls? I understand there was a text that mentioned deflating, but how did they answer the questions by the league?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n239080 said:
To me, this is a league failure to have control of the footballs and/or ensure they are up to league standards. It is not nor has it ever been the players responsibility to monitor this. What next, penalize the kicker if the goal posts are six inches too low? I think Goodell is overstepping his bounds and should just be happy Kraft took one for the team.

I agree Goodell overstepped, with the punishments. Goodell needs to be reined back, without a doubt. They were all too high for the crime. But if the refs tested the balls pre game, and they were in the standard of what is acceptable, and returned to the team. Then at half time they were tested and found to be deflated below what is acceptable. You have to look into it. They just followed the admittedly circumstantial evidence, but again this isn't a court issue. Goodell needs to be reined back, without a doubt.

As far as the really bad example of the goal posts, how many players have a tape measure to measure the 6 inches? That is completely different than something you have to hold and manipulate. But also think that it doesn't help just one team, unlike 11 out of 12 teams balls being deflated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator