Breakdown of all new SEC Coordinators

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some quotes from McElwain also....

https://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Breakdown-All-the-SEC-coordinator-changes-for-2016

Heading into 2016, 10 of 14 SEC schools made at least one coordinator change, and there are 16 new coordinators or co-coordinators in the league.

Coaching changes are more frequent than ever. Nearly half of all FBS teams had a coordinator change a year ago, but the SEC changes at a faster pace than everyone else. There were 12 SEC schools with a change last offseason.

What’s behind so many changes? For one, the pressure to win is so high, and it can create a domino effect. Jim McElwain noted three coordinators became SEC head coaches this offseason (Kirby Smart, Barry Odom, Will Muschamp).

“It probably starts with the quality of the coaches in this conference overall,” McElwain said on the SEC East coaches teleconference. “A lot of those guys get opportunities to go other places, be it for head jobs or whatever. It really speaks to the quality of the coaches this conference can attract. I know it makes for offseason studies being nuts. You’re busy breaking down opponent films, and it’s not even the opponent you’re playing. It’s some guy’s offense or defense.”

Florida was one of the four schools without a change. McElwain himself is one of six active SEC head coaches who had previous coordinating experience in the league, along with Gus Malzahn, Dan Mullen, Smart, Odom and Muschamp.

“I can’t speak for everybody, but the opportunity to be a coordinator in this league can help you in a lot of ways,” he said. “All those guys have been highly successful. It’s an honor to be the head coach at Florida.”

Here are the SEC coordinator changes for 2016:

Alabama
Out: Kirby Smart (DC) - Became Georgia head coach
In: Jeremy Pruitt (DC)

Arkansas
No coordinator changes

Auburn
Out: Dameyune Craig (co-OC) - Took LSU wide receivers job
Out: Will Muschamp (DC) - Became South Carolina head coach
In: Kodi Burns (co-OC)
In: Kevin Steele (DC)
In: Wes McGriff (co-DC)

Florida
No coordinator changes

Georgia (head coaching change)
Out: Brian Schottenheimer (OC)
Out: Jeremy Pruitt (DC)
In: Jim Chaney (OC)
In: Mel Tucker (DC)

Kentucky
Out: Shannon Dawson (OC)
In: Eddie Gran (OC)

LSU
Out: Kevin Steele (DC) - Took Auburn defensive coordinator job
In: Dave Aranda (DC)

Ole Miss
No coordinator changes

Mississippi State
Out: Manny Diaz (DC) - Took Miami (FL) defensive coordinator job
In: Peter Sirmon (DC)

Missouri (head coaching change)
Out: Josh Henson (DC)
In: Josh Heupel (OC)
In: DeMontie Cross (DC)

South Carolina (head coaching change)
Out: G.A. Mangus (OC)
Out: Jon Hoke (co-DC)
Out: Lorenzo Ward (co-DC)
In: Kurt Roper (co-OC)
In: Bryan McClendon (co-OC)
In: Travaris Robinson (DC)

Tennessee
Out: John Jancek (DC)
In: Bob Shoop (DC)

Texas A&M
Out: Jake Spavital (OC)
In: Noel Mazzone (OC)

Vanderbilt
No coordinator changes

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What happened to Missouri's OC?
You list the new guy but not the previous one.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
So Robinson followed Chump again?

I'm thinking Chump is getting a little chocolate on the side.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Please don't shoot the messenger....I didn't write the article. You can click the link and email the author. I'm sure he'll get back to you asap!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Please don't shoot the messenger....I didn't write the article. You can click the link and email the author. I'm sure he'll get back to you asap!

No biggie, just curious.
Thanks for posting the article

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No biggie, just curious.
Thanks for posting the article

https://mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?path=&rc=605

Josh Heupel (former Oklahoma QB) is the new Missouri OC. Good hire, IMO:

Barry Odom has recruited Josh Heupel (pronounced HIGH-pull) to join his new coaching staff. Heupel will serve as Mizzou's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Heupel brings with him an impressive track record of success, including four national championship game appearances, seven BCS bowl games and coaching oversight of two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks. He has 13 years of coaching and recruiting experience at the highest level, including the last five seasons as offensive coordinator and play caller at Oklahoma and Utah State. Heupel finished his first season as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with Utah State.

Heupel has been part of 13 bowl games and six conference championship teams since beginning his coaching career in 2003, including 11 seasons on staff at his alma mater Oklahoma (2003-04, 2006-14). During his coaching tenure at OU, the Sooners played in three national championship games (2003, 2004 and 2008 seasons), and Heupel helped mentor two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks in Jason White (2003) and Sam Bradford (2008), while a third, Landry Jones, won the Sammy Baugh Award in 2010 as the nation's top passer. Heupel's name also carries a lot of clout in recruiting circles due to his prowess as a quarterback during his playing days, when he led Oklahoma to the BCS National Championship in 2000, while finishing as the Heisman runner-up that season.

"I'm really pleased to have someone the caliber of Josh Heupel join our staff," said Odom. "I've known him for a long time and have always respected him highly, as a player, a coach, a recruiter and a coordinator. I've been impressed by the offenses that he runs, they're very difficult to defend, and his achievements speak for themselves. He's a high-character person who has the type of leadership abilities that will be outstanding for our program, and he's exactly what we're looking for. We're excited to have him on board," said Odom.

"I am very grateful to Coach Odom for this opportunity," said Heupel. "First and foremost I believe in the person Barry Odom is and what he stands for. I believe in the vision that he has for this program. I have a lot of respect for Mizzou and the football program, as someone who's seen it from an outsider's perspective for a long time. I believe this is a special place that has just scratched the surface of what it can be, and it's a program that is capable of winning championships on a consistent basis. I want to be part of that. I think it's a great time to be at Mizzou, and I'm excited to get there and to go to work," he said.

Utah State reached a bowl game in 2015 despite losing all-star quarterback Chuckie Keeton to a season-ending knee injury after just three games. Despite that loss, Heupel's Aggie offense improved to 60th nationally in scoring (29.7 ppg), up from 81st in 2014, prior to his arrival there.

In his final season at Oklahoma, the Sooner offense led the nation in fewest sacks allowed (0.69 pg), and led the Big 12 and ranked 10th nationally by averaging 261.2 rushing yards per game, which was the best output by OU since 1991. OU also ranked third in the Big 12 and 20th in the nation in scoring (36.4 ppg), and fifth in the Big 12 and 23rd nationally in total offense (464.7 ypg).

With Heupel calling the signals of a balanced Oklahoma offensive attack in 2013, the Sooners led the Big 12 by averaging 223.9 rushing yards and 423.0 yards of total offense. Despite three different quarterbacks seeing action over the course of the season, the Sooners registered an 11-2 campaign, culminating with a 45-31 win against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

In 2012, Oklahoma ranked fifth in the nation in passing (336.5 ypg) and 12th in total offense (497.9 ypg) as Jones became the Big 12's all-time leader in passing yards and total offense. Jones also finished his career third all-time in passing yards (16,646) and fifth all-time in touchdowns (123) in FBS history.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Josh Henson was the OC, not the DC. Barry Odom was the DC.

Barry Odom to Head Coach (Cross in), Josh Henson out (Heupel in) - Henson was expected to join Okie State's (alum) staff as an offensive analyst

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator