Broncos waive Jeff Driskel; signs $2.5 million deal with Texans

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
I wonder what Gator QB has made the most money in the NFL? Rex, Timmy, Spurrier, Reeves, Bell? You'd have to adjust for inflation. Sorry but I don't care enough to look it up...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder what Gator QB has made the most money in the NFL? Rex, Timmy, Spurrier, Reeves, Bell? You'd have to adjust for inflation. Sorry but I don't care enough to look it up...

I would say probably Matthews, because of the length of his career in the NFL. Reeves ended up in the USFL (if I remember correctly) after a brief stint in the NFL. Bell bounced from World League, NFL, and Canadian Football. Spurrier didn't last long at either NFL stop (49ers and Bucs). Timmy didn't make it to his second contract. Wuerfell hung around but wasn't a first round pick. So Grossman and Matthews would be the front runners. Both made a second contract, but Matthews hung around longer.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I would say probably Matthews, because of the length of his career in the NFL. Reeves ended up in the USFL (if I remember correctly) after a brief stint in the NFL. Bell bounced from World League, NFL, and Canadian Football. Spurrier didn't last long at either NFL stop (49ers and Bucs). Timmy didn't make it to his second contract. Wuerfell hung around but wasn't a first round pick. So Grossman and Matthews would be the front runners. Both made a second contract, but Matthews hung around longer.
Matthews only played one more NFL season than Rex (13 vs. 12). Given that Rex was a 1st rounder, I'd bet he made more money.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
I forgot about Matthews. Spurrier spent 10 years as a backup with the 49ers, one year starter in 76 with the Bucs. Of course back then all that time probably amounted to $500k.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You know NFL contracts are out of control when Driskel's $5 million dollar deal is considered bottom dollar.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Rex made $15 million (I figured it would be more, but I guess he played in an era where starting QBs didn't make $25 million+). This article said he started a nursing company:

Bears Bust Rex Grossman Turned His $15 Million Into A Nursing Company

Bears Bust Rex Grossman Turned His $15 Million Into A Nursing Company - Sportscasting | Pure Sports

Rex Grossman retired with over $15 million in career earnings. Over $10 million of that came from his six seasons in Chicago.

During Grossman’s playing days, he and his wife, Alison, founded Florida Medical Staffing in 2009.

Located in Delray Beach, Fla., the company “specializes in providing skilled temporary and permanent staff to the medical community, including hospitals, skilled-care facilities and other medical providers,” according to its website.

Those were always crucial ways to help those in the medical field. During the coronavirus pandemic, Florida Medical Staffing’s role is even more important.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rex made $15 million (I figured it would be more, but I guess he played in an era where starting QBs didn't make $25 million+). This article said he started a nursing company:

Bears Bust Rex Grossman Turned His $15 Million Into A Nursing Company - Sportscasting | Pure Sports

Rex Grossman retired with over $15 million in career earnings. Over $10 million of that came from his six seasons in Chicago.

During Grossman’s playing days, he and his wife, Alison, founded Florida Medical Staffing in 2009.

Located in Delray Beach, Fla., the company “specializes in providing skilled temporary and permanent staff to the medical community, including hospitals, skilled-care facilities and other medical providers,” according to its website.

Those were always crucial ways to help those in the medical field. During the coronavirus pandemic, Florida Medical Staffing’s role is even more important.

I knew most of his money come from his first contract, he was a late round 1st round pick. I'm betting the guys at the front of the first round were roughly $30 from their first contract. It was the Sam Bradford deal that made the NFLPA agree to the Rookie salary cap. He got over $50 on his deal.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I knew most of his money come from his first contract, he was a late round 1st round pick. I'm betting the guys at the front of the first round were roughly $30 from their first contract.

Rex was drafted almost 20 years ago. I don't think they were making that kind of money back then. He went to the Redskins as the starter, had to be making as much or more than his rookie deal by then?

I couldn't find anything on Matthews career earnings...but there's a ton of stories when you google his name about the arrest w/ Monty Grow a few years ago.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rex was drafted almost 20 years ago. I don't think they were making that kind of money back then. He went to the Redskins as the starter, had to be making as much or more than his rookie deal by then?

I couldn't find anything on Matthews career earnings...but there's a ton of stories when you google his name about the arrest w/ Monty Grow a few years ago.

According to what I found for Grossman:
1st contract (Bears): 5 years $6.85 Million
2nd contract (bears): 1 yr $3 Million
3rd contract (Texans): 1 yr $.620 Million
4th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $.755 Million
5th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $1.150
6th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $1.3
7th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $.960
8th contract (Browns): 1yr $.955
9th contract (Falcons): 1yr $1.00

Rex Grossman

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
According to what I found for Grossman:
1st contract (Bears): 5 years $6.85 Million
2nd contract (bears): 1 yr $3 Million
3rd contract (Texans): 1 yr $.620 Million
4th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $.755 Million
5th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $1.150
6th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $1.3
7th contract (Foreskins): 1 yr $.960
8th contract (Browns): 1yr $.955
9th contract (Falcons): 1yr $1.00

Rex Grossman

Wow, the redskins got him cheap.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

This gives him easy access to medical-grade cocaine. It's a win-win.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow's career NFL earnings were $9,687,500. People forget he got in the last year before the rookie NFL salary cap. His first-round contract landed him a $6,277,000 signing bonus.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Between Driskel, Will Grier, Brissett, and Cam Newton that's a lot of NFL money from "former" Gators.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Spurrier backup, Kay Stephenson, had as good a NFL career as Spurrier.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
salaries are just so much higher now . even adjusted for inflation there's no comparison.

The answer is Cam Newton. I'm sure without even looking it up. (Over 90 million foe sCam.)

Probably Rex next. 1st round money for Wuerrfel, Rex and Tim but first round in the '90s is not like first round today.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
salaries are just so much higher now . even adjusted for inflation there's no comparison.

The answer is Cam Newton. I'm sure without even looking it up.

Probably Rex next. 1st round money for Wuerrfel, Rex and Tim but first round in the '90s is not like first round today.

Wuerrfel was a 4th rounder (99th overall)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Cam Newton:
Wow. that's a lot of scarf money.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If only he could afford a laptop. What could've been!
don't you remember how horrendous is passing was? I thought he was the next Bobby Sabelhaus. Mullen had him so fvkked up he couldn't hit a crossing route or a screen pass and everyone was talking tight end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator