Burt Bacharach- RIP

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Man 'o man.... sooooooooo many memories of two things: hearing all the songs he wrote for a buzzilion people on FM easy listening channels my parents had on the radio in the 70's, then, also in the 70's, us kids getting one of those electric organs with a couple of sheet music books that were full of Burt written songs that we would play very schittily, but think we sounded awesome!

RIP Burt.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Here's an amazing fact: The first one of his songs to be recorded was by Nat King Cole; the last - with dozens of other well-known artists recording his songs in between - was by Elvis Costello. How many people can top that?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Here's an amazing fact: The first one of his songs to be recorded was by Nat King Cole; the last - with dozens of other well-known artists recording his songs in between - was by Elvis Costello. How many people can top that?

Speaking of

We need a separate Heather Graham thread

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Sad news indeed. No not just for some, but for everyone.
I think that the Jerry Lewis telethon always ended with that song... that's another thing for the "kids will never know" thread. That telethon was always during the summer back in the time of basically 3 channels. Dearborn had public pools, and one of the lifeguards (who were high school kids) had to spend the night locked in the pool, but kids would always come to hang out. On the night of the telethon, there was always a watch party on the little black and white tv and tons of people would hang out all night. I don't think anyone really cared about MD, but it was fun watching for all the "WE JUST HIT$X!!!" announcements.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I think that the Jerry Lewis telethon always ended with that song... that's another thing for the "kids will never know" thread. That telethon was always during the summer back in the time of basically 3 channels. Dearborn had public pools, and one of the lifeguards (who were high school kids) had to spend the night locked in the pool, but kids would always come to hang out. On the night of the telethon, there was always a watch party on the little black and white tv and tons of people would hang out all night. I don't think anyone really cared about MD, but it was fun watching for all the "WE JUST HIT$X!!!" announcements.

Pf1GFn.gif

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
RIP to the maestro of mojo:

Austin Powers Gold Member GIF by Burt Bacharach

Last edited:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
My favorite because so many sultry-voiced women lined up to sing it, including Dusty Springfield, Lani Hall, Marilyn Scott, and Diana Krall.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His work on the music for “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” was outstanding. I heard it before I ever got to see the movie as my mother bought the LP. Played it on the old console stereo. I was 9, knew nothing about music, but I realized that the guy who put this together was quite good.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015

Labor day telethon always ended with Jerry Lewis singing "You'll never walk alone", most years he couldn't make it through without breaking up

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.