Butch Trucks, Founding member of Allman Bros. dead at 69

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sad to hear. I met Butch in Ft. Lauderdale some years ago. He was sitting at a table next to mine in an empty restaurant. He was talking to a bunch of colleagues about his time with the Allman Brothers, I mistook him for Dickey Betts and leaned over and introduced myself. He was pissed that I thought he was Betts, and asked me if I was looking to get my ass kicked. He apparently didn't care for Betts, didn't elaborate as to why. We managed to end the conversation on a friendly note, I told him some of my favorite songs growing up were from that band, etc.. He struck me as an angry dude, I hope he reconciled with Dickey and is resting in peace now.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Just heard this news a few minutes ago. Butch was in Asheville a few weeks ago with his new band which plays much of the Allman's old catalog of music. If you read much about the history of the ABB it is amazing that any of them are still living.

The band parted ways with Betts years ago, asked him to leave based on alcohol related lack of professionalism. Don't know that they've ever reconciled.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw the ABB in Daytona back in early 90s. Great show. I'm thinking they played with Dylan, or they at least sang Maggie's Farm, as I remember that song. I had few too many substances on the way down to Daytona.
Butch's son Derek is an awesome guitar player. I've had the pleasure of seeing the DTB a couple of times when they traveled out to Seattle a few years ago.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Derek ain't Butch's son.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Butch was a normal, everyday nice guy. Our younger sons went to Maclay School together and we were in Indian Guides together. Lots of camping and canoe trips.

Butch built an expensive recording studio in Midway, Fl. that never caught on.

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
vikings%20new.jpg

Butch was from Jacksonville-Claude Butch Trucks in the center- The bass player (2nd from right ) I believe is Bobby Brantley ex :Lt Gov of Fla
the two guitar players far left and far right later played in a popular Jacksonville band The Deep Six that later became Mouse and the Boys
Butch moved on to the Second Coming that then became the ABB
I think this picture was taken from the roof of the old Seaboard Coastline Building-thats the Acosta Bridge in in the background
Rest in peace Butch

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Butch was a normal, everyday nice guy. Our younger sons went to Maclay School together and we were in Indian Guides together. Lots of camping and canoe trips.

Butch built an expensive recording studio in Midway, Fl. that never caught on.
Where, exactly? On Hwy 98?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Remembered the firs time I heard the Allman bros. It was the first time I got stoned. Best combination. .

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sad to hear. I met Butch in Ft. Lauderdale some years ago. He was sitting at a table next to mine in an empty restaurant. He was talking to a bunch of colleagues about his time with the Allman Brothers, I mistook him for Dickey Betts and leaned over and introduced myself. He was pissed that I thought he was Betts, and asked me if I was looking to get my ass kicked. He apparently didn't care for Betts, didn't elaborate as to why. We managed to end the conversation on a friendly note, I told him some of my favorite songs growing up were from that band, etc.. He struck me as an angry dude, I hope he reconciled with Dickey and is resting in peace now.
I used to run around in some circles with him during the late 80's. He did not have the nicest disposition. Of course not sure if it was me or not? :)

Sad to see him go though. Love the Allman brothers. Damn how he aged...I have not seen him for 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.