Byron Cowart Leaves Auburn in tears

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In all fairness, Barn has a stable of DL. With that, he seems to lack the ice.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Watching Luginbill earlier, he said the biggest drawback to the early signing day experiment is the fact that assistants may be at a particular school today, but then be fired or take another job in the coming weeks, leaving the signed commit stuck with a different coordinator or position coach.

Cowart is a prime example of why kids should be choosing a SCHOOL, not a coach, and certainly not an assistant. That's really the solution that keeps being dismissed by these recruiting analysts. I agree that Cowart has turned out to be a bust, but he also should've never ended up at Auburn. He was sold a bill of goods by a DC who had no intentions of ever staying 3-4 years. Bust or not, he would've had a better overall career at UF, which was his leader for months.

Now, wait until Durkin gets offered a big job, leaves Maryland, and Cowart's left stranded again.:lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Playing for DJ Durkin now:

Former Auburn defensive lineman, top recruit Byron Cowart finds 'sanctuary' at Maryland

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/in...art_maryland_sanctuar.html#incart_river_index

"Byron's doing a really good job both in the run and the pass," Durkin said, according to the Sun. "You can really just see him ... and he's been better and better every practice. Byron's been tremendous. He's really taken his job seriously. He's a mature guy. He works really hard. He's been a great leader for other guys on the team. He's doing great for us."

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Doesn't sound like too many are willing to believe in his shtick at this point

I wish him well .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Playing for DJ Durkin now:

Former Auburn defensive lineman, top recruit Byron Cowart finds 'sanctuary' at Maryland

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/in...art_maryland_sanctuar.html#incart_river_index

"Byron's doing a really good job both in the run and the pass," Durkin said, according to the Sun. "You can really just see him ... and he's been better and better every practice. Byron's been tremendous. He's really taken his job seriously. He's a mature guy. He works really hard. He's been a great leader for other guys on the team. He's doing great for us."

He does have the build and talent to do well so who knows. That said, I see nothing but excessive fluff and football cliches in that statement.

I really like Durkin, and you can see his energy even in quote like this. But if asked to describe Himler, it would read something like, "great focus and attention to detail...tremendous worker...has a vision and sees it through...isn't afraid to think outside the box."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He does have the build and talent to do well so who knows. That said, I see nothing but excessive fluff and football cliches in that statement.

I really like Durkin, and you can see his energy even in quote like this. But if asked to describe Himler, it would read something like, "great focus and attention to detail...tremendous worker...has a vision and sees it through...isn't afraid to think outside the box."

Agree. Durkin is legit. He needs to have a couple of 8-4, 7-5 seasons at Maryland....and get the hell out of there. Maryland football is a worse place to be than Miss State! There's a ton of talent in the DMV (DC metro area), but most of the good talent goes to Ohio State, Penn State, or elsewhere.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a good read, admits Muschamp screwed him....and he had some sort of bad relationship w/ the Callahan's (at Armwood HS):

Former Armwood star Byron Cowart a bust no more

Former Armwood star Byron Cowart a bust no more

(more in the link):

The nation’s No. 1 overall recruit in 2015 according to ESPN and Rivals, Cowart didn’t so much sign with Auburn that February as he did with Will Muschamp. Had Muschamp not been dismissed as University of Florida coach the previous November, Cowart almost certainly would’ve been a Gator.

When Muschamp was hired as Auburn defensive coordinator in December 2014, Cowart essentially followed him there despite warnings from Armwood coach Sean Callahan, who realized Muschamp’s tenure on the Plains likely would be brief.

“I think (Callahan) was trying to prevent what happened at Auburn from happening, because I think he knew Coach Muschamp...would want to be a head coach again,” Cowart said.

“So he was just saying to be smart. But I had outside people thinking, ‘Oh, (Callahan) just wants you to go to Florida because it benefits him.’ I look back at it, I’m like, ‘Yeah, I should’ve just listened.’”

Armed with only four years of true organized football experience upon his arrival at Auburn, Cowart says he was complacent and a bit overwhelmed by the preps-to-college transition at first. He appeared in every game as a freshman, but barely made an impact in the defensive end rotation.

“I had a (position coach) that was like, ‘You need to catch on fast.’ And being a fish out of water I’m like, ‘I don’t know what’s going on,’” Cowart said.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

He was the biggest SDE at the combine at 298lbs. Kiper is projecting him a 5th or 6th rounder - which ain't bad considering where he was 12 months ago.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He was the biggest SDE at the combine at 298lbs. Kiper is projecting him a 5th or 6th rounder - which ain't bad considering where he was 12 months ago.

The problem is this is such a DL deep draft, if he was able to get good coaching from the start and listened to people that could help him, he cold have been a 1st or 2nd day pick last year... or with enough good film this year.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Neither he nor Jefferson should have been ranked that high. He did not have the relentless effort plus he probably did not have the speed to be even an SDE. Jefferson's problem is that he does not have the size or speed to be an edge rusher. He basically has no position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb