Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
no it shouldn’t be. You all make it political. It’s a position of whether you believe college athletes should be paid.

I think they should. It’s capitalism at its finest.

I love capitalism. Maybe we should allocate the 10,000 spots for incoming freshmen every year to the 10,000 students who can pay the most money. That would be fine too.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I don’t see this as a “capitalism” issue at all. Not a bit.
Its not a capitalism issue in the least. Its simply classic government overreach at its finest. Look, any high school graduate is free to sell his name and likeness to any interested party, just like they are free to accept or decline an offer from a college football program to become a member of their team. However, just like any opportunity, it come with rules. One of which is you can't make money off of your activity associated with the team. If you don't like that rule, don't accept the offer. Its really as simple as that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love how some people think this will help us. :lmao2:

Our mofos are too cheap to even play the max stipends and won't keep all 85 schollies filled, just to save money.

This will just put us even farther behind.

Maybe scUM and Central will pay their players.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

Our mofos are too cheap to even play the max stipends and won't keep all 85 schollies filled, just to save money.

It would definitely kill FSU. They won’t be able to pay their coaches if they fire the current dudes - how are they going to legitimately pay players?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love capitalism. Maybe we should allocate the 10,000 spots for incoming freshmen every year to the 10,000 students who can pay the most money. That would be fine too.

why not?

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Credit to the NCAA, they finally got their head out the sand and are attempting to get ahead of this before it becomes a complete cluster show. Win for the athletes today

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta give full credit to the first state to pass the law that forced their hand.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
NCAA will kick them out. Another ill-conceived California initiative.

.01% chance of this being the result. Just destroy the entire PAC 12 and all of its TV rights? The result of that is there is no more NCAA and the Power 5 go it alone. It would be NCAA suicide. Rather, every other state is going to follow California's law.

So, I guess those facepalms from Seabee and the Donk on this were a little premature? Of course the current path to this becoming valid everywhere is the NCAA's only option, regardless of how you feel about this result.

Also, if @Swamp Donkey and @SeabeeGator think this results in losing Cali teams, opposed to other states falling in line, want to set up a bet NCAA does not bar all California teams from NCAA events beyond perhaps a few day reaction that gets recalled?

Too bad neither of you took this bet.

I don't get this take at all. This law moves the dollars invested in the program away form the school/AD's office and directly into the hands of the investors, including some who may not even be boosters/fans but want to profit off the players skills and our fandom. There are many reasons this could (and likely will) become a mess, but moving the money out of the control of our stingy AD's office just ensures that more of the total pot that people and businesses in this state invest in Florida football goes to the difference making athletes in football (opposed to all the non-revenue sports). Because these funds will bypass the AD's office, Strickland cannot divert obvious football investments to baseball, for instance.

It doesn't solve our facilities problems, but as the #1 program from a fan base in the third most populated state, and one of the two in the top 5 that is football crazed (along with Texas), our marketing dollars for player likenesses are simply worth more. The next closest SEC state by population (Georgia) is less than half of Florida. The third most populated stated (Tennessee) is less than 1/3 the size. The counter to this is that states without pro sports to dilute the marketing dollar could concentrate more resources (Alabama, but that already occurs - now we will be able to legally keep up).

I still think overall size, and college football being the most popular sport here, we will benefit.

This is dated, from 2013, but it is still telling as to the power of Gator football in Florida:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ym0c2vv4g31jpg/original.jpg

2014 data, right after FSU's last title, still had us ahead:

InfoGraphic: Most popular college football team by state

This is value our team can capture that others cannot (assuming the players getting money does not completely ruin college football for competitive reasons).

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
The devil will be in the details. This could go WWW pretty quickly if the legislation is written poorly.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can think of more than 10 ways that influential boosters can use this to throw recruiting into another universe. These aren't situations where money comes out of an individual's pocket. The money comes out of a company's pocket. The company benefits, the school benefits, and all the athletes "think" they benefit. So fa,r in my limited set of schemes the advantage falls to schools near large cities/Metropolitan areas and in states where one school is THE school. It's going to take a heck of a set of rules to keep this from completely changing college football.

Notice our beloved U of F doesn't fall into either of the above two categories.

And I haven't even gotten started yet. The possibilities are damned near endless.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
So, I guess those facepalms from Seabee and the Donk on this were a little premature? Of course the current path to this becoming valid everywhere is the NCAA's only option, regardless of how you feel about this result.

Too bad neither of you took this bet.

I don't get this take at all. This law moves the dollars invested in the program away form the school/AD's office and directly into the hands of the investors, including some who may not even be boosters/fans but want to profit off the players skills and our fandom. There are many reasons this could (and likely will) become a mess, but moving the money out of the control of our stingy AD's office just ensures that more of the total pot that people and businesses in this state invest in Florida football goes to the difference making athletes in football (opposed to all the non-revenue sports). Because these funds will bypass the AD's office, Strickland cannot divert obvious football investments to baseball, for instance.

It doesn't solve our facilities problems, but as the #1 program from a fan base in the third most populated state, and one of the two in the top 5 that is football crazed (along with Texas), our marketing dollars for player likenesses are simply worth more. The next closest SEC state by population (Georgia) is less than half of Florida. The third most populated stated (Tennessee) is less than 1/3 the size. The counter to this is that states without pro sports to dilute the marketing dollar could concentrate more resources (Alabama, but that already occurs - now we will be able to legally keep up).

I still think overall size, and college football being the most popular sport here, we will benefit.

This is dated, from 2013, but it is still telling as to the power of Gator football in Florida:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ym0c2vv4g31jpg/original.jpg

2014 data, right after FSU's last title, still had us ahead:

InfoGraphic: Most popular college football team by state

This is value our team can capture that others cannot (assuming the players getting money does not completely ruin college football for competitive reasons).

Guess I was wrong. Hope UF has a strategy to exploit this to our advantage. Seriously doubt it, but hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.