Calling All Horologists

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok guys, a question. I'm turning 50 soon, the wife suggested I upgrade my Rolex. I have two, a Platinum Yachtmaster and a steel Explorer 2. I walked into an AD today, he had a two tone Daytona with a black face at list. He's holding that for me and I'm gonna bring in my two watches. Any idea what will happen with a trade? Never done something like this before.

I wish I could help. I'm still a bit new to this horology thing and am just now turning my attention to the pre-owned market. One of my best friends (oddly, my motorcycle mentor) is a retired jeweler. He owned a store in South Florida but retired years ago (At 48. Tell me there's not money in this stuff... And yes, he is a lot older than I...). His insights during my watch journey have been a little helpful, but he's been out of the game for a long time and luxury watches were only a small part of his practice. His focus was handmade, custom diamond stuff the rich, retired old biddies in SoFla loved. He sold some of his designs for close to $500K. I wish he could help me more, especially as I turn my attention to the used market.

Last edited:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Khaki Navy Scuba Auto ( $439 gray market): Khaki Navy - Khaki Scuba Auto | Hamilton watch

upload_2020-1-20_12-35-56-png.19493

This was delivered to my door last night. The nato strap is different - all of my other watches are on bracelets except my G-Shock. But I am enjoying it so far. It is a lot lighter than my other watches, the case diameter is smaller so it wears a lot smaller. And I have to say, I am excited about the 80 hour power reserve. She'll probably be my daily wear piece for a while.

So, on the list for the remainder of 2020 (sort of in order):
  • A mechanical field watch on a leather or textile strap
  • A 2020 Alpinist with a blue or green dial, also on a strap
  • A Seiko Prospex with that killer spring drive - bracelet
  • And the grandaddy, the Seamaster
Those last two are subject to ol' Gatorbreath having a good year collecting dollars..... :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ok guys, a question. I'm turning 50 soon, the wife suggested I upgrade my Rolex. I have two, a Platinum Yachtmaster and a steel Explorer 2. I walked into an AD today, he had a two tone Daytona with a black face at list. He's holding that for me and I'm gonna bring in my two watches. Any idea what will happen with a trade? Never done something like this before.
Where do you live near and regardless, you oughtta talk to my friend in Boca on the phone either way. For your trade, do you have original boxes and paperwork, or just the watches?

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Where do you live near and regardless, you oughtta talk to my friend in Boca on the phone either way. For your trade, do you have original boxes and paperwork, or just the watches?
I live in Wellington so close to Boca. I have all the boxes, papers, etc. The jeweler made me a crappy offer for the watches so I passed on the Daytona. It wasn't the color scheme I wanted anyway. PM me his details and I will pay him a visit.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I live in Wellington so close to Boca. I have all the boxes, papers, etc. The jeweler made me a crappy offer for the watches so I passed on the Daytona. It wasn't the color scheme I wanted anyway. PM me his details and I will pay him a visit.
PM sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.